Consent Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Listen to me Melody," she took Melody's hand in hers.

"I need to tell you something," Adele said soberly.

Melody nodded, she was listening intently.

"The odds of a plaintiff's lawyer winning in civil court are two to one against. In this case, with their resources, it's more likely three to one."

"Any reputable lawyer is going to advise you to settle out of court. They likely wouldn't take the case unless you are prepared to settle. Do you understand?" Adele took Melody's hand in hers.

"But I don't want to settle. I want those men to have to face up to what they did," Adele squeezed Melody's hand.

"They're never going to admit what they did Melody. Never. The prosecutor had a chance to prove what they did in the criminal court but they were found not guilty," Adele said in a sympathetic tone.

"But... if you are willing to take the stand, and you will have to, you will get to tell your side of the story," Adele said.

"They said I was a willing participant; Daniel Benstead said as much to the press," Melody began to break up.

"They are going to drag out any dirt they can find on you Melody. Other than what you have told us up to now, is there anything else that we need to know? Anything?" Adele asked gravely.

Melody shook her head.

"It's going to be messy. They will play dirty. They will question your morals and your integrity. They are going to bring up graphic sordid details about that evening."

"Trials are a corruption of the entire civil litigation process and only fools who have something to prove end up ensnared in them. But this will be your chance to tell your side of story and if we can get some sympathy from the jury, if we can get one or two of them to believe you, it might, it's unlikely, but it might just turn the case," Adele finished her speech.

"Let's sue," Melody said determinedly.

"Then let's file," Adele smiled reassuringly.

****

Adele sat in Grahame Grantham's office with Max Walker and Alan Tate in attendance.

"What's going on Adele? A clerk from Karl Brinkman's chambers called me and told me that our firm is bringing a civil action against Mitch Brooks and three of his associates," Grahame stirred his coffee.

Adele was pissed when the case was assigned to Judge Karl Brinkman. He was embedded in far-right politics. He was a white septuagenarian with staunch traditionalist and misogynist views on sexuality, gender, race, and was of course pro-life.

"Those men work for a subsidiary of Brindle Holdings, a company with extensive Government contracts including the Department of Defense. You know Brindle Holdings?" Max Walker spoke to her like she was child, but Adele did not rise.

"Yes I know Brindle Holdings and its subsidiaries and I know we represent some of those subsidiaries. I know those men are rich and powerful, otherwise I would not be sitting here," Adele stated the bleeding obvious.

"And that's the beauty of this law suit. The allegations are so outrageous and damaging, whether they are true or not, that it will never go to court; the case will be settled and the company will probably pay the settlement for them. We will take thirty percent of the settlement," Adele had no intention of settling, but she would not tell these men that.

"Look it's not a conflict of interest. That's already been ruled on, this is a personal suit, not a claim against any of the companies we represent," Adele explained.

"Rulings have been made?" Alan Tate leaned forward, the Partners were not aware that the case had progressed this far.

"We are at disclosure," Adele replied and the three partners were taken aback.

"This case was thrown out of the criminal court, what chance do you have of a settlement?" Grahame Grantham said brusquely.

"The civil proceedings were in a closed court, the defendants were not named until after the verdict. The evidence that our client will give is sordid and detailed, whether she's believed or not. The men are conservative, professionals; married with children. They won't want the plaintiff to tell her story in open court; they will settle," Adele smiled at the three Partners.

Alan Tate began to grin.

"You're a shark Adele," he leaned over and patted her knee.

Adele let him. Alan thought she was his protégé and he had a small crush on her and although it was harmless he liked to fondle her on the odd occasion when he could get away with it.

Adele took this as her cue to leave.

"Tread carefully Ms Edwards; tread very carefully," Grahame Grantham said solemnly as she got to the door.

Adele smiled back at him and turned away.

"What was that about?" Celia was waiting for Adele in her office.

"I just lied to the partners. If I was you, I'd unhitch your wagon from mine," Adele studied Celia's face.

Celia took Adele's hand in hers.

"I'm along for the ride partner," Celia gave a pretty good John Wayne impression.

"Well hang on tight honey, because it's going to a bumpy ride," Adele squeezed Celia's hand.

To be continued.

12