Copper River Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Steven, this is Jan. I found Heather. She's with me by the first green of the golf course. Hurry, Steven. She's in bad shape."

Running across the plush grass, Steven quickly found Jan sitting next to a Heather he didn't recognize. She had been crying, her hair was a mess, but most of all, she was sitting with her knees up, arms wrapped around them, rocking back and forth. She was muttering something under her breath that Steven couldn't understand.

"Jan, what the hell happened to her? One minute she was laughing and having a great time, and now this."

"Has she ever told you what happened with her ex?"

"No. She said she would tell me one day, when she felt it was the right time. I told her to tell me whenever she wanted to."

"All I can say is he cheated on her the day before their wedding. It broke her, Steven. She withdrew from everyone except her friend Julia. I know they lived together for quite some time before Heather was able to function on her own. At work she was like a robot -- doing her job, but with no emotion, no feeling, no passion. It took a lot of time, and a lot of therapy, to get her back."

"So what do we do now? We can't go back to the party, that's for sure."

"Help me get her up, and I'll walk her to your room. Hopefully she'll respond to you in a positive way. And no matter what happens, Steven, stick with her. I know how much she loves you -- she talks about you all the time at work, and I can see the love for you in her eyes. It might get ugly and hateful, but stick with her. You two deserve each other. Ok?"

"Ok. Let's get her up and to our room."

Steven stretched his arms out to Heather to help her up from the grass, but she looked at him with pure hatred in her eyes.

"No! Don't touch me. Don't ever touch me again. I hate you for what you did to me. Leave me alone!"

Jan saw the immediate hurt in Steven's eyes, and touched his arm gently. Leaning down, she helped Heather to her feet.

"Come on, honey. Let's get you back to your room, ok?"

"Thanks, Jan. You're a good friend."

While Jan held Heather and led her to the room, Steven followed behind, not wanting to set Heather off again. Reaching their room, he unlocked the door, opened it, and stepped aside, letting Jan lead Heather in. She took her to their bed, slipped her dress off, and laid her down, pulling the sheet over her. Heather looked up at Jan with a grateful smile.

"Thanks for helping me Jan. Will you stay with me for a while?"

"I will, honey. I'll sit with you until you go to sleep. Ok?"

Heather turned over, and soon was sound asleep. After a while, Jan got up and pulled Steven into the bathroom, where they could talk.

"I don't know what's going on with her, Steven, so just let her sleep. Hopefully when she wakes up she'll be better. If not, give me a call and I can help. Plus, I'm going to find out why that asshole was here and give a heads up to whoever brought him."

"Thanks, Jan. I'll plan to sleep on the couch for now. Let me know what you find out with her ex. We'll talk in the morning."

Jan turned to leave and gave Steven a kiss on the cheek.

"You're a good man, Steven Frasier, and Heather is a wonderful woman. Don't give up."

Jan left, leaving Heather sleeping in bed and Steven very confused. He knew her ex had done something horrific, but she never told him the details. Now he wondered if she would ever get over what happened.

He checked on Heather, and found in a deep sleep. He grabbed the extra pillows and a blanket and laid on the couch, hoping he would be able to sleep. Not having a clue as to how the morning would go, sleep finally overtook him.

Sometime during the night, Steven woke, hearing voices. Laying quietly, he realized it was Heather talking in her sleep. Most sounded like gibberish, but he kept hearing 'Beth', and 'why did you do it', and 'don't talk to me, ever' -- but none of it made any sense... and he fell back asleep.

Morning came, and as the room began to brighten, Steven woke up. He laid quietly for a while until he heard Heather softly call his name.

"Steven, are you here?"

Rushing to her, he knelt by the side of the bed and looked at his semi-sleeping girlfriend. She turned over to look right at him and smiled.

"You're here. I dreamt you ran away and left me alone because I broke your heart. Was I horrible to you last night? I remember some things, but others are just a blur."

Steven smiled and kissed her gently.

"Don't worry -- I'm still here. I don't scare that easily."

"But I was horrible to you, and said some horrible things, didn't I?"

Steven didn't answer, and suddenly Heather remembered what she said, and began to cry.

"No! Don't touch me. Don't ever touch me again. I hate you for what you did to me. Leave me alone!"

"Oh my god. Steven, I didn't mean what I said. I looked at you and saw... him. I love you, Steven. Please believe me."

He leaned over and gathered Heather in his arms, holding her trembling body close.

"I know you didn't mean it, sweetie. And don't worry -- I still love you."

It took quite a while for Heather to calm down, and Steven held her the entire time. Jan was right -- it was ugly, and will probably get uglier, but she still loved him. And he wasn't going to let her go.

Two weeks later it was Labor Day weekend, and Heather's parents invited the couple to their house for a neighborhood picnic. Steven had spoken to her dad about what happened, and since she was acting like herself again, they decided not to pursue anything further. However, it still bothered Steven that Heather reacted the way she did, and wanted to get more information. So while Heather and her mom were in the kitchen with several other neighbors, Steven asked Matt if they could talk.

Stepping outside, and away from everyone, Steven asked Matt a simple question.

"Matt, what happened with Heather and Jerry? What did he do that was so terrible?"

Matt looked at Steven, knowing he deserved to hear the truth.

"I can tell you the basics, but it's up to Heather to tell you the whole story. And what I tell you, you can't ever let her know I told you. Clear?"

Nodding his head in agreement, Steven steeled himself for the worst.

"The day before the wedding, Heather was out running errands and got back early to the apartment she shared with Jerry. She was already packed for the honeymoon, and her wedding dress was all laid out in the guest bedroom. As she walked in, she heard noises coming from the master bedroom. The door was partially open, and she saw Jerry naked in bed, fucking someone. Shocked, Heather had the smart idea to take a video and several pictures for proof. The worst part was who he was fucking. Her best friend and maid of honor.

"She told BethAnn that she was dead to her, and to never speak to her again. Heather then grabbed her suitcases and came here, a total wreck. She ended up moving in with Julia until she found a place of her own.

"There's more -- a lot more, but she has to tell you the rest. And when she tells you what happened, you better act shocked, because if she realizes you know, she'll know who spilled the beans -- and then I'll be up shit's creek without a paddle."

"Matt, your secret is safe with me. Thanks for telling me that part of the story. Now we probably better get back to the party before Rachel sends a posse out to find us."

The weeks passed, and Heather and Steven's relationship grew stronger. Even so, he could tell there was something bothering her -- something she needed to tell him, but just couldn't.

Soon it was almost Thanksgiving, and they had plans to spend the day with her parents and some friends, eating, socializing, and watching football. Friday, Heather planned to drag Steven out for some Black Friday shopping, and Saturday they were going to his parent's house. Sunday they planned to do nothing but rest up from a frantic three days.

But the best-laid plans usually get screwed up, and that's exactly what happened. The Wednesday morning before Thanksgiving, Steven was in his office, finalizing a deal with a long-time client, when Mitchell West busted into his office -- without knocking, as usual.

"Frazier, whoever you are talking to, just hang up. I need to speak with you, now."

Holding his hand over the receiver, Steven gestured to an open chair for Mitchell to sit.

"Just a moment, Mitchell. I'm a bit busy right now."

"I don't give a shit, Frasier. Hang up now before I hang the phone up for you."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Babcock, but it seems my obnoxious manager thinks he is more important than you and your company. Would it be alright if I called you back in about 15 minutes? Thanks...

"Ok, Mitchell, what's so important that you had to bust into my office and interrupt my conversation with Earl Babcock -- you know, the CEO of Babcock Industries, one of our biggest clients?"

"Sorry -- I didn't know."

"Maybe next time you'll knock first, but I doubt it. Now what's up?"

Mitchell tossed a folder to Steven, one that he recognized immediately.

"Ok, the information for the annual hardware and software updates for Smith Brothers Corporation. Why am I looking at this?"

"Because you need to get this done by next Friday's deadline."

"What? Next Friday? This is something you pulled from me and my team months ago, saying we weren't the best ones to put it together. You said you had it handled, and now you don't? And you expect me to clean up after your mess, and over a holiday week? I don't think so, bub."

Derisively, Steven tossed the folder back to Mitchell.

"Now if you will excuse me, I have work to do. Good-bye, Mitchell."

By now, the raised voices caught the ears of Steven's team, who were now gathering outside his office, close enough to hear the raised voices.

"Who the hell do you think you are, talking back to me like that? Like it or not, Frasier, I'm still your supervisor and your superior, and if you don't like how I run my part of the company, then you can take a hike and quit. So if I tell you this is your job now, it's your job now. Fix it or else."

"Oh no you don't. You don't get to blame me for your screw up. We would've had this finished weeks ago, but you had a better plan. So what am I supposed to do? Hold my team captive over the holiday weekend while we fix your mess and you get to celebrate? Sorry -- that's not happening. We all have plans to be with our families. So find someone else to do this."

Just then, once it seemed that the two men were coming to blows, Mr. Clarkson stepped into Steven's office.

"All right, the two of you, quit it. Mitchell, what's going on here?"

"I was just telling Frasier that he and his team had a new job to do -- finishing the updates for the Smith Brothers. And he had the audacity to say no."

"And why are you just giving Steven the project now? Isn't it due next week? Last time we spoke you said it was all under control. So what happened?"

"I can tell you what happened, Mr. Clarkson. Mitchell is an idiot who has no clue how to manage people or how to do his job. How he got that promotion is beyond me."

"So you're saying Mitchell fucked up and now wants you to fix his mess, this weekend?"

"Yes sir, that about covers it."

"That's what I thought. Alright, Mitchell, you're dismissed. Steven, will you call your team in here please?"

"What do you mean I'm dismissed? I have every right to be on any meeting with people under my control."

"No Mitchell, you don't. Leave now before I kick your ass out of the building."

Sheepishly, Mitchell left the office just as Steven's team was entering. Nobody said anything, but they all had huge grins on their faces after hearing the encounter. Once assembled, Mr. Clarkson shut the door and turned to face Steven's team.

"I just got off the phone with Jonathan Smith, CEO of the company, and a long time friend -- since high school, in fact. Jon is someone I can talk to and we can cut through all the bullshit, so here's what he told me.

"It seems that whatever updates were sent don't work. They've been running simulations, and once the programs get about 40% loaded, everything stops. Jon's IT team can't figure it out. Unfortunately, Mitchell was correct about one thing. We need to get this fixed before next Friday. So here's what I'm proposing.

"We need to have people on-site to fix this, so unfortunately, several of you will have to fly to Phoenix this afternoon. Jon will have hotel reservations set up, and he will meet you at the airport with a car. And then you will need to figure out what the hell is going on. You all know how important a client they are to us, so I am asking a huge favor of all of you, I know. Steven, I'll leave it up to you to figure out who goes and who stays here. And I promise you all, I will make this up to you. Your plane leaves at 1:00, so you should be at the airport no later than 12:30."

"Isn't that cutting things a bit tight? How did you get tickets so fast?"

"Not a worry. Jon is sending one of his company jets to fly you back and forth. In fact, it's in the air now. I'm counting on you, Steven, and your team to get this figured out and fixed. Any questions?"

Silence filled the room as each person looked at the others.

"Ok, when you get things figured out, please let me know. I'll meet the ones staying here tomorrow at 11:00 for a video call. That'll be 9:00 your time."

"You'll be here, sir? Why?"

"If my best team has to work this holiday, then I have to as well. Steven, the clock's ticking, so get on this. And thanks again to all of you."

With that he left the room where they all were wondering how this would work. Finally, Steven spoke up.

"Ok, it goes without saying that I'm on the road team. Mike, you need to stay here with your new baby, and Jackson, with your mom in Hospice care, I don't want you leaving either. That leaves Rose and Michelle. What are your thoughts, Rose?"

"I agree that Mike and Jackson need to stay close by here. And I'm sure they have turkey potpies in Phoenix, so I'm with you. Michelle?"

"Well, since my asshole boyfriend decided to get tickets to the Cowboys game -- without me -- I've got no reason to stay here. So I'm with you two as well. And yes, once I see him he's going to be classified as my ex-boyfriend."

"Alright -- that settles it. You two pack up what you think we'll need, go home, pack your clothes, and meet at the airport by 12:30. Once we are gone, you two go home and spend a little more time with your family, and explain what's happening. I've got several phone calls to make, and then I'm out of here. And once again, thanks. You are the best."

Steven then sat to make his calls. First was Mr. Babcock, apologizing for the interruption and setting a final meeting in two weeks. Next was his mom, who was going to be furious, but eventually would understand. Finally was Heather, who he knew would be bitterly disappointed.

"Steven, hi. This is a nice surprise. What's up?"

"Hi, baby. Mr. Clarkson just asked my team and me to fix a huge screw-up with our biggest client."

"Oh, so you'll have to work late tonight? Not a problem, as I'll have you all weekend."

"That's the problem. You won't. The problem needs to be fixed on site, so I'm flying out in four hours to Phoenix and probably won't be back until sometime Sunday."

"Sunday! But what about all our plans for the weekend? Everyone's going to be so disappointed you won't be here. And what's your mom going to say?"

"I already called her, and she was close to furious, but finally understood. And she hopes you and your folks will still come Saturday. But no -- I won't be here. I'm so sorry, sweetie, but Mr. Clarkson promised to make it all good for us, and he's never broken a promise in all the time I've worked here. Please understand, if there were any other way to do this, we'd do it. But it has to be done on site."

"I guess I understand, but you better make it up to me. And no matter, Steven, I love you."

"I love you too, Heather. I'll call you when I have a chance. See you Sunday."

Several hours later, Steven and his team were walking through the executive terminal with the co-pilot, who escorted them out to their plane where they were met by the pilot and a flight attendant. And what a plane it was. Big enough to seat 15 people comfortably, it had several tables and couches, a full bar, a working galley, as well as a large lavatory. Plush didn't begin to cover what it was like.

"We know you have work to do, so the captain promises to make it a smooth flight. We have most anything you'd want in our bar, and a variety of food. Whenever you need something, just let me know. Now please have a seat and get strapped in."

Once in the air, Steven looked at his teammates, who were already looking over documents trying to figure out what was going wrong. Rose was someone who had the ability to look at a problem from different angles, and was a wiz working with hardware problems, as well as being one of the top coders he knew. Michelle was the best coder and programmer he had ever worked with, slightly beating Rose out for that position, was still only in her late 20's, and was a walking wet dream. He boyfriend, soon to be ex, must be a real idiot.

After landing in Phoenix, the team was met by a limo driver who took them to their hotel, where they were met by Jonathan Smith.

"Steven Frasier, good to see you again. And Rose, it's always a pleasure."

"Good to see you once again, sir. And this is Michelle, the real brains of this outfit, along with Rose."

"Good to meet you all. Let's sit in the bar, get a drink, and talk things through."

Once settled, Jonathan brought them up to date on the work from their end. As well, the team had several ideas to pursue the next morning. A limo would meet them the next morning to bring them to the company headquarters in time to meet the company IT people and get ready for their video conference. Thanking Mr. Smith for the drinks, they all checked into their rooms and headed to bed. They all knew it was going to be a long couple of days.

The next day -- Thanksgiving -- went by in a blur. The team met several IT people from Mr. Smith's company (Josh and Cindi), and worked straight through the day until 6:45, when Mr. Smith told them to wrap things up, as he had dinner for them. He led them to the conference room, where a full Thanksgiving dinner was laid out, catered in by one of his favorite restaurants.

"I tried to guess what everyone might like, so hopefully you'll find enough here to enjoy. Just a small token of my appreciation for all you're doing. And when you're done eating, go back to the hotel or your home, and I'll see you here in the morning."

The next morning, Steven and Cindi were working together, re-writing the entire update, just in case the others couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then sometime late in the morning, Steven heard Josh laughing and Michelle calling out to him.

"Son of a bitch! Steven, get over here. You've got to see what Josh found."

Hustling across the office, Steven and Cindi found their co-workers huddled around a computer screen, laughing. Rose told Steven to look at the last few lines of code.

"There. Do you see it? I can't believe it took us so long to find this."

Steven stared at the screen, not seeing what the others did.

"Ok, color me stupid, but what are you seeing that I'm not?"

"This was done on purpose by someone who was trying to catch Mitchell doing his usual nothing."

Not understanding, Rose explained.

"When someone writes a program and codes a program, they leave their own digital fingerprint. This was done on purpose, knowing Mitchell would never understand what was done, and when he just signed off on it, the trap was sprung. Plus, the coder gave us the answer how to fix everything. All we have to do is change a dozen lines of code, and the program should run."