Crescent Pine

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ian was standing there with an empty plate looking on in amazement. Gale said nothing, he waited until Rory was fully back. She blinked a few times before seeing a log floating in midair, her right arm extended and her hand making a tight fist.

"This is a good start." Gale said walking around the floating log as if examining it for strings. "Now let it go."

Rory opened her hand and the log fell with a small plunk. "That was a great start." Ian clarified. Gale shrugged placing the log back into the pile.

"You have to strengthen your mind or you will get winded easily. Don't take anything that will give you ease, because it could cause problems in the future."

"So no aspirin?" Rory wondered.

"Aspirin's fine, but take it in the morning rather than at night, nothing that helps you drift off into sleep. Ruth's mother took something like that once and had an aneurism when she tried to use her powers."

"Okay, so is that it? I thought we were going to do more."

"Aurora, you can't do more right now. Be patient. Practice on your own and when you have it down I will come back for further instruction." Gale was starting to wall off down another path.

"Wait! Where are you going?!"

"To deal with clan business, have a nice rest today, Aurora. I'll be back tomorrow, and keep your new puppy from scratching up Ruth's furniture."

Rory heard a low rumbling growl from Ian as Gale left. She then turned to him "I know you want to be supportive, it's nice that you said it was a great start, but I barely know about all the things I can. I bet my grandma could do this at five in her sleep."

Ian patted her gently one the shoulder "Eight, and she knew all her history and what she could do. You'll catch up soon. How's your head?"

"It hurts a little, I might be able to manage it. I'm just going to sit on the couch for awhile." Rory went inside and leaned against the arm of the couch staring at the fire-less fireplace, she wish she would have known and could have seen her grandmother in action. What her abilities were and if she made any mistakes.

Ian washed the dishes, dried them, and placed them back into the cabinets before joining Rory back on the couch. He offered her something to drink, but she wasn't thirsty. An hour passed and both had fell asleep quietly after staring and thinking about recent events.

Rory woke up first feeling soft warmth that felt so comforting that she almost closed her eyes again. When she heard the low hum of breathing over her head which caused her to look up. Ian's face filled her vision, his eyes closed, mouth slightly agape breathing in and out. Her arm was laying on his chest, she carefully picked up realizing that the dream about this large comfy pillow that was laying on.

Rory pushed herself to the opposite side of the couch and checked the time on her phone.

It was noon, her headache was gone, but she had all these things on her mind: How much should she or could she practice? What if something else attacked her when she was out in the woods? If Ian and Gale weren't there what would she do about the forest's residents? Should she drop by town once a week or twice a week? How long was she prepared to stay there now? What if it didn't work out?

Rory sighed to herself, but got up and crept down the hallway to a linen closet that never had towels, linens, or cloths inside it. Ruth had a thing about electronics, but she kept a t.v. around to check up on the news in case. It wasn't large, but a medium flat screen that could sit on the fireplace with ease.

Rory picked the screen up and took it into the living room where Ian was starting to wake.

"Morning." Rory smiled putting the tv on the fireplace.

"Always put the tv down in case of a fire when the fireplace's lit." He mumbled rubbing his eyes. "Need help?"

"I got it, plus you have your own responsibilities. You don't have to stay for me." Rory hooked, plugged, and untangled wires. She went back to the linen closet to fetch the remote which still worked. She flipped it on and sat back down on the couch.

"Well..." Ian yawned sitting up "I may be guardian, but the pack leader takes care of most of our internal problems, scouting, hunting, money, and sometime clothing."

"Why sometimes?"

"A few of us shift, due to our surroundings we never really needed a human form. The younger wolves like me shift more often than the elders, some who have entered a permanent wolf form."

"How long does a permanent form take?"

Ian looked up into the air for a minute "Maybe eighty years to a century or centuries. Everyone's different, it could be in ninety for all I know. I finally got control of my forms three years ago on my eighteenth birthday."

Rory had read somewhere, possibly a vlog, that when werewolves reached maturity that they'd finally be able to shift whenever they want unless under the eye of a full moon.

"Forms, you have a human and wolf form."

"There's one that lies between that, it can be unruly even with full control. And it takes awhile to shift to another form afterwards. But you seem totally okay with this." He smiled at her for taking this in without panic or fear.

Rory laughed "I've been used to strange things every time I visited my grandma. But since this the beginning of stranger beginnings I might as well take it in with positivity rather than falling apart."

"How mature-

"Shut it." Rory playfully hit his arm "I just hope things turn out well."

"Trust it and it will." Ian told her "Now do you have requests for lunch?"

Simple interactions went on like this for a few weeks, then a few months. Gale visited from time to time, Rory had already completed log training, she could now move multiple objects without having to think too hard or use her hands to guide them. She was developing visions, pieces of them of the future, and odd symbols. Rory had picked up telepathy and elemental telekinesis.

Every day Rory would walk the forest with Ian who was now a close friend who watched her back. Rory had to make a few trips into town for more clothing of course before sending a letter to an old college roommate who lived nearby the apartment building that she lived in to pack everything and send it to the little town of FairLake's postal office. Once she got moved in she really started to enjoy the outdoors.

Gale would give his words of wisdom, recollecting his past with Ruth to Rory who was fascinated by how bold and upfront her sweet docile grandma was when she was younger. Even though her grandfather was getting close he remained distant by insisting to keep his invitation to the cabin resent. Some days he'd stop by offering a bottle of wine or a good book, others he was gone in day and night.

As much as she wondered where he was, she focused on her friendship to Ian who she had to admit was very handsome and beyond anything she imagined. Ian's parent's were killed by human hunters when he was ten, he has a best friend named Daren who was almost like a brother to him, he enjoyed laying on the ground to stare up into the sky at night just to see the moon, he enjoyed sweet and spicy foods, adventure novels, and liked cats as well as dogs.

Their friendship seemed to be at it's limit, neither would admit that they were attracted to the other. Ian wouldn't admit that when the wind blew through Rory's crimson locks he'd wish to run his fingers through them, let them fall down onto her milky white neck. And Rory wouldn't admit that those emerald eyes had such a light in them that they became bright every time he smiled her way.

Rory's past relationships failed mostly, because she couldn't see a future for her with that guy, he grew cold, wanted to wander off. Ian's relationships were pretty much of the same despite him to be married off to a girl from his pack once he matured. There was no engagement, because they were not compatible and failed to connect in anyway including physically.

Yes, Rory found out straight from Ian about his relationships and how far they went, kissing, messing around, but nothing else. He was virgin and didn't see the need to bone every girl he saw just, because she was beautiful, able, and willing. They shared their history, whether was bad, good, horrible, or amazing. The closer they grew the more concerned Gale became especially with Rory's powers developing so quickly.

In total ten months had passed and fall had begun anew. Rory hadn't met anyone yet, besides a few chance encounters with a few witches, a vampire friend of Gale's, and a dryad that she accidently tested her powers out on. Tomorrow she would meet the vampire clan and werewolf pack via Gale and Ian. Today she was drinking tea from a little porcelain cup with Ian who was looking at her shyly.

"Okay, as much as you staring at me flatters and weirds me out you have to tell me why you're doing it."

Ian rubbed the back of his neck "Well we're practically going out, so I wanted to ask you out for a romantic evening."

It was true, Rory thought, as much as they went out, had dinners together in the cabin, in time, even out by the lake that was deep into the woods under the stars, drinking wine and getting to know one another, getting each others gifts for their birthdays, it all fell in the realm of dating.

"So..would this make you my boyfriend or my man friend?" Rory smirked raising an eyebrow mischievously.

"Boyfriend, a man friend sounds like a male prostitute." Ian joked back.

Rory giggled into her tea nearly spilling it, she got herself together and wiped her mouth with a napkin "Okay, boyfriend, what do you have in mind?"

"Cedarwood."

"The town?"

"Yes."

Rory wanted to frown at the idea being that Cedarwood took two hours to reach from FairLake. It was a large town, almost a city, modernizing itself weekly, there was always something fun and new there. You would never be bored. But two hours away meant that the forest would be down a guardian leaving only two. The third Rory had yet to meet, but heard she was a lot to handle. So far nothing bad sprung up, there were no awful deaths, disappearances (thanks to Gale), or brawls between two different creatures.

Rory tried to decompress, two hours away for a date for two hours possibly, she did need a little air away from the fresh air. Sitting in the cabin and waiting for something to happen was tedious and maddening.

"Deal, where will we be going?"

"A surprise." Ian touching her palm, the one that laid resting on the table "And I have a car, so no worries." Ian was a were with a license.

Rory's fingertips brushed against the center of his hand, they looked at one another not being able to contain themselves. His eyes glowed with a want and hers glimmered with a need to be touched, cared for. They desperately wanted to kiss and were slowly drawing nearer, their lips only a few centimeters away. She smelled of jasmine and citrus, he smelled like pine and mint. As they were about to lean in there was a small rapping at the door. Knock. Knock.

Rory drew herself back "I'll get it." And hurriedly rushed to the door, her entire face was hot as she opened the door. There Gale stood in a dark plum vest, white shirt, and black plants.

"Gale.." Rory still couldn't bring herself to call him grandpa yet, especially with his ghost routine. Gale looked at her strangely, he could sense her heart beat quicken, her face was flushed, and she was avoiding eye contact.

"Aurora. Is Ian here?" Gale leaned over to see Ian coming from the kitchen, funny thing his heart beat matched hers, and he too was red in the face.

"Gale."

"Ian." Gale sniffed "I came by to speak with my granddaughter."

"Um, sure.." Ian already knew Gale was kicking him out without even being able to enter the cabin. He decided it was best to leave before Gale lashed out. "See you tonight, Rory." He gave a half wave and Rory did too.

When Gale could no longer sense him he turned fiercely to Rory "What are you doing?"

"Nothing, having tea. Would you like a cup?" Rory gave a pretend smile.

"Cut the bull, Aurora. This cannot be a repeat cycle." He hissed.

"It's not that serious, we have feelings for one another. Why is it bad?"

Gale rubbed his temple "There's nothing wrong with having feelings for someone you care for and vice versa, but he is dangerous."

"Fine. Let's here hear how he's dangerous." Rory crossed her arms leaning against the frame of the door. He was being more like a concerned father than a grandfather who'd give advice, cookies, presents maybe.

"It's one thing to fall for someone who's like me, undead with volatile impulses, but another to fall for a werewolf. Wolves change faces, bodies, my kind does not. They have little to no control even when they've reached maturity. Aurora, a full moon, anger, a fight, if Ian was to be set off he could transform and lose all sense of himself."

"But how sure-

"How sure?!" Gale's eyes sharpened with a bright glow that scared Rory, but only a little "That boy could maul you, werewolves have heightened emotions as do we, but they are more susceptible towards them!" Gale huffed, expelling the rage. He looked at his granddaughter, she was upset, clearly, but she was also young, naïve, new to this world.

"Forgive me, I'm just worried about your safety. I trust Ian for the most part, but that was before this occurred."

"This- Rory insinuated with her hand "Is my life, I understand your worry-

"No, you do not." Gale said shaking his head "When Ruth came here she was alone, she had no one looking out for her. Including me at times, but when I could be I was there. I just want you to think about this Rory. Your immortality does not gift you invulnerability."

"I'm aware."

"Then please take my words to heart. Can you?"

"Yes." Rory had it in her to fight in circles with anyone including Gale, but between practicing, her and Ian, Gale's relationship with her, visits to the town and back, it was starting to wear at her a little. She had moved in and taken over the cabin, every inch, but her grandmother's room which she had yet to enter. There wasn't a reason for her too, so Rory kept away and stuck to her room, bathroom, living room, and kitchen.

Gale looked to the side, pretending to look at the trees "If you end up at that point where you two...are together..be safe."

"I know what a condom and birth control is Gale, normal grandfather's praise their grandchild or spoil them for no reason."

"You've never needed to be spoiled, Aurora, and with all that you have the world is at your feet. Just tread carefully through it."

"I shall." Rory proclaimed it in a mild tone smiling, he was trying. "And where are you off to?"

"To see a witch. Don't wait up." Gale gave a sly grin and zoomed away in a blink of an eye leaving Rory with all these thoughts that dealt with her and Ian being entangled in a deeper relationship. She paused and decided to take a nap.

Ian took Rory out to a club, it was simple, cliché even, but they danced, drank, and enjoyed each other's company. At the end they shared a peck on the lips before calling it a night. The next morning, Rory got up, pulling on her jeans and gray top with short flaring sleeves, and black strappy sandals. In a bold attempt she put her glossy hair into a ponytail, revealing her neck to all. Gale let her decide what statement she wanted to make with Ian running out last in dark blue jeans and a cobalt tee.

Instead of running to their destination Gale opted to walk normally for Rory's sake, he took Ruth with him once when he sped away and remembered how sick she became because of the rush. The forest began to dark the further in they went, the trees were so muttered together that you could barely make out the sky.

Rory counted off in her head until thirty minutes passed and she saw a huge rocky cavern coming into view. When they reached the threshold Ian's eyes turned yellow with disgust, possibly anger from the scent of blood muddying the inside of the walls.

"Temper." Gale reminded him, Ian nodded, but his eyes remained the same color as they reached the center of the cave where the roof had a small opening shining light down through the center. Men and women were standing around clinging to the sides of the cave watching the visitors carefully. They all wore dark clothes except one person who stood in the center, before the opening in front of Gale, Rory, and Ian.

"Welcome." The man before them was at least two inches shorter than Gale, maybe six feet tall, he wore a long sleeved pinstripe shirt in pine green and black with black slacks and dress shoes. "We're glad to finally meet you, Aurora."

His eyes brimmed with playfulness as Rory and Ian greeted him.

"A wolf, how quaint." He squinted at Ian who was still monitoring the sides of the cavern walls in case of an attack. "Gale, you surprise me, having such a valued person watched by a were."

"Well weres have keen instincts, sometimes better than vampires." Ian said with a large grin. Some of the vampires scowled at the comment, but remained in place.

"Maybe...Oh excuse me, Aurora, my name is Ezre, Ezre Bright. I am the leader of the only vampire clan in Crescent Pine. A pleasure." Ezre held out his hand and Rory extended hers, clamping down their hands Rory could feel something worse than when she had her first encounter with Gale.

This vampire was shifty, he had his plans in mind that could lead to the downfall of the entire forest, but no images came. Just words: Destruction, Betrayal, Death, and Loss.

"So how do you know Gale?" Rory asked to shake off the frosty vibes Ezre had given her.

"Ah. Gale was once an old mentor of mine when I was starting out as a young vampire in the world. He helped me when I was at my lowest point and brought me here. I was able to meet Ruth, your grandmother. She was quite enchanting, everyone loved her."

"Some more than others." Some coughed, the words reverberated off the walls and echoed for five seconds.

Ezre looked at Gale "My apologies, the younger generation can be so blunt."

"Let us forget the past and stay focused on now, Ezre." The way Gale said his name made Rory's stomach squirm. "I would like the bones."

Both Ian and Rory looked at him not knowing his meaning.

"Bones?" Ezre tilted his head "What pray tell are you speaking of?"

"Bones of those missing people from town. I can smell the rotting flesh from here."

Ezre sneered "Don't make assumpti-

"I'm not. The least that you could have done was burn the flesh and bury their ashes, it's like a pig sty in here."

Ezre closed his eyes then reopened them smiling "There were complications. Besides as a clan member you're almost always absent."

That struck a chord in both Ian and Rory who thought that Gale spent at least half of his time with his clan. If not then where? He is a guardian to one part of the forest, not the whole, so where was he headed off to the times he had clan business?

"But I am still a member here. And a complication is accidently breaking an arm, a leg, taking too much blood. Those people are dead and it is your responsibility as clan leader to come to me, a guardian, with these so called complications. Do want a war with the humans?" Gale furrowed his brows and leaned in closely "Or have you forgotten your own past?"

Ezre paused before turning to Rory "You have my apologies, if you wish we can bury them no-

"Bring us however many bags for the number of people you took and give Aurora the bones."

"Of course." Ezre made a hand movement and four vampires vanished from sight into the cave.

"You know this is a strike against this clan. And you and your members will be reprimanded."

Ezre nodded "Yes, but if I find the perpetrators behind these attacks I will bring them forth for judgement."

"We need to speak to the third guardian and Rory before that all happens." Ian said "But why say this now? You knew those people were being held here."