Crosswinds Pt. 02 - Dark Currents Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

But Eden took a step back to drop her arms; her perfect naked body was now drenched in the sunset that bled through the window. The girl remained composed, but her glower remained glassy and lifeless. "If I can't have you, nobody should. I'm moving out in the morning," Her detached voice droned before leaving the room.

Maddi shook her head as she lay back down. "I'll call Diana in the morning if Eden doesn't blow off enough steam," She thought aloud before dozing off. Maddi fell deeper into slumber as a night chill forced her under the blankets as dusk took hold. Then she got hot--too hot. Covered in sweat, Maddi sat up, coughing, unable to breathe or see as black smoke packed the bedroom. The choking flames rose along the bedposts and formed a circle of firey death. And as the bedding began to kindle, there was a slight break in the smoke several meters away. Terrified, Maddi screamed for Eden when a figure appeared in the doorway. The fire drew in tighter to Maddi as her errant daughter, dressed in a Moringa University school uniform, came into full view. Her face remained listless as she held her daughter, shielding the baby's face from the smoke. Maddi tried to call Eden's name a final time, but she shrieked as the flames engulfed her legs. As she lost consciousness, her last memory was Eden turning her back, walking back into the smoke. The hysterical crying of her granddaughter was like a klaxon in her ears.

--

Maddi screamed herself awake. She found herself outside alone on a bed of damp, flattened grass, and sweat profusely dripped from her heaving body. Her body shivered under the morning chill, the sun's warmth still hours away from bleeding through the dusk to kiss her nakedness. As the night terror slowly faded, Maddi realized she wasn't burning. She grimaced as she sat up; her middle ached. At the very least, she thought, that she didn't imagine the sex.

"Mom. Oh my god, is that how you died?" Maddi whispered as she prayed. "Mom, I'm so sorry. But I can't be this part of you, and I don't want to end up like you," Her body wretched uncontrollably, and Maddi broke down, sobbing in the darkness. "GOD!" Maddi screamed as she writhed painfully. As she curled into a ball, the creaking of wooden steps grew louder and louder before Diana rushed to her side.

"Maddi shut the fuck up! You'll wake the neighbors," Diana scolded; She had rushed from the house, nightgown flowing as if nothing happened. But Maddi's eyes widened when she saw Diana. She screamed and scrambled away from her in abject fear, doing her best to hide her nudity. "What's wrong with you?" After giving her sister several moments to answer, she grew annoyed with the silence. "Put your shirt back on and get inside," Diana found Maddi's clothes piled by the stairs, gathered them, and threw them over Maddi's shaking frame. "You're so weak and worthless it's sad!" She muttered a few more punishing obscenities under her breath before running back up the stairs.

But Maddi remained curled, shaking, terror overflowing.

And it seemed a lifetime before Maddi solemnly dressed and dragged herself up the stairs; with each step, the burdens of shame and self-loathing grew more cumbersome. She stood in the quiet darkness of the living room before making the decision. Maddi sifted through her bag before finding the knife--the deadly gift Diana gave her. She felt its weight in her hand as she motioned to the bedroom.

Maddi knew Diana loved sleeping on the left side of the bed and didn't second guess moving in that direction. She was right; Diana's golden curls shimmered in the moonlight as she rested peacefully. But Maddi's heart pounded violently, and the pulse in her throat pained her with each throb as she carefully hovered the blade over her sister's gentle face. A light moan escaped Diana as she stirred, and the open window now shone a light on her exposed throat and face. Maddi's eyes fixed on her sister's jugular, big and vulnerable. Its thickness made a tempting target. Maddi knew--all she had to do was press down; Then the nightmare would end.

Diana stirred again and swallowed hard. Watching her throat work nauseated Maddi; now, she could hardly grip the knife. Diana's neck seemed to scream, "do it," louder and louder until Maddi could no longer hear the wicked voice in her head over the pounding in her temple.

Maddi staggered backward, heaving for new breath. She couldn't stand the sight any longer, turned, and sprinted. Dizzy, she fought nausea to bend over as she gasped for air.

"Why didn't you?" Diana's gentle voice came from the doorway.

Maddi jumped, and she turned. The knife dropped silently on the area rug with a thump in the darkness. As guilt and fear strangled her voice, Maddi fought to speak. "D--didn't what?" She stammered.

"I stuck my neck out for you," Diana pressed into the room. She stood close enough to breathe on Maddi. "Why didn't you end this?"

Maddi still wanted to be sick. She refused to look at Diana. "You know why," She cried softly.

"To be honest, Maddi," Diana let out a labored sigh. "Giving you the knife wasn't a test. I wanted you to let down your guard. I never expected you'd come so close to using it. Had I'd know you'd actually come into my room and," She shuddered, fighting to steel her resolve. "I'm just glad you came to your senses, even if part of me wanted to let you kill me," Diana nodded, her face still trying to convince herself of the last part.

"Why don't you just kill yourself, then?" Maddi asked under her breath.

Diana shrugged. "I'm not ready to die,"

"I'm tired of you never making any sense," Maddi scolded. "I'm so done with this,"

"This is over when I say it is," Diana's tone firmed. "And I say it's over when you have my baby. Get that right, Maddi,"

"Okay," Maddi said. She breathed sharply through her nose and slumped to the couch. "Good night," With her back turned to Diana, she scrambled to cover herself with the winkled bedsheets.

Diana took a moment to look down at Maddi before gathering the knife. She took a few steps back to her room before turning. "Maddi, I won't give you another opportunity to put a knife to my throat," Her voice grew with affirmation. "If you threaten me again, it'll be the last thing you ever do,"

"Then it's either you or me," Maddi snapped around. Her glower burned into Diana, who was taken aback by Maddi's fervor.

Diana returned the glare, studying Maddi for a moment. "Okay, then," Her jaded eyes shifted. "Good night, Maddi,"

12