All Comments on 'Cruise On, Bye'

by rhetthebrat

Sort by:
  • 339 Comments
TajfaTajfaalmost 2 years ago

Seemed true to life but even in the worst cases people still need to talk. I think he needed to hear from her why she blew up their marriage and why, if it was just casual sex, she wanted to spend a week with the guy .

truthandjustice99truthandjustice99almost 2 years ago

I liked it unto the end at the child's eprformance. The exwife giving in to letting him take the child out was a mistake. Not a kindness or making up for past sins. It was her night and she should of reminded him of it If he wanted to share the moment maybe but the week on week off is a routine for the children that should be abhered to He agreed as part of the divorce he forced through after failing to greedily steal most of the value of the estate and the lives of the children. Bo hoo he didn't get to take the kids out. That what divirce is pain all around I know

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Standard loving wives fare. I didn't like the fact that you made him such an idiot. It takes a pretty spineless man to simply stick his head in the sand and do nothing. Especially with three small children involved. Sometimes the best man will do the right thing putting aside his pride and ego.

JustplainjeffJustplainjeffalmost 2 years ago

I can't believe how many times in this story, the cheating wife professed her love for Steve. And then fucked Chad over and over, again. Even saying he wasn't anything special in the sack. Steve is the only person in this sad take who deserves any happiness.

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraalmost 2 years ago

Wow... realistic, emotional and stunning! This read like the literary equivalent of a fine, Swiss timepiece. Precisely designed and crafted, with all the pieces working together in perfect synchronicity. No superfluous background, no long, detailed technical descriptions of guns or knives or entertainment systems or classic cars. Nope. Everything fit perfectly. The most impressive things were MC's internal dialogue and the role the children played in the storyline. So often, children in these stories are inanimate set-dressing, like those bulk-purchased books nobody bought strewn across the shelves at Ikea or throw pillows at your grandma's house - the ones on the sofa nobody was allowed to sit on. No Martian Slut Ray bopping around the Kuiper Belt and no cliché cheater dialogue. I hope there's another part of this story. Seriously, it's that good. 5++++++++++++++/5!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A good story illustrating the old poit "no one wins in divorce"

I like your stories, hell I'd even read a raac of these two, I loved how "the mighty pen" eventually ended

TwentytwentyTwentytwentyalmost 2 years ago

A surprisingly compassionate portrayal for this site, great job

shopratshopratalmost 2 years ago

This was really well done. I'm not sure that the combination of complete remorse/ total acceptance of her responsibility would really reside in someone right alongside the ability to do something that evil to the love of her life, but your writing skill went a long way towards making it believable.

Cringo31Cringo31almost 2 years ago

A very well done stiry with true emotions coming through. I did have a question about Steve, if he knew about the affair for weeks prior to the cruise and was able to hide that he knew why did he go all drunk after he played his trick at the send off?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

The problem with this story is it goes on agonizingly too long. I understand exactly how the husband was portrayed, it happened to me too. But this story is about 6 sentences of someone trying to be naughty and stopped and then 2-1/2 pages of guilt and self-loathing. Way too much agony. talk about feeling rotten after you've read something. Gees!

WargamerWargameralmost 2 years ago

I hated her, the smartarse bitch. She came off well in this story, better than what she deserved.

She was was responsible you made him a mess.

It cost you a point with me, so 4/5. Another chapter would be nice.

chytownchytownalmost 2 years ago

*****Great storyline, and some great storytelling. Very sad, but an enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing.

Bebop3Bebop3almost 2 years ago

A sad but excellent story. Well done.

TwentysevenTwentysevenalmost 2 years ago

I found this surprisingly moving. You did a very good job of conveying her remorse.

cookingwithgascookingwithgasalmost 2 years ago

What a great and sad tale! 5* Rhetthebrat, you found a way to develop these characters very well, in three Lit pages. Steve seemingly has the same flaw as my character Rob, in the recent three-part story, but you did it far better, and with far less words. I think your advanced vocabulary had plenty to do with that. No reconciliation, but the wife was remorseful, and you painted her beautifully, as an intelligent woman, fully aware of her mistake, and the devastation it caused. Her working with the family to help heal Steve was realistic and brilliant. Look forward to more of your writing!

PowersworderPowersworderalmost 2 years ago

It was well written, and that was a clever way of sabotaging her cruise with the kids, but the ending felt anticlimactic. This really needed some post-divorce resolution for Steve.

-

I could see this going in two directions:

1) A reconciliation. As much as I hate reconciliations, it might have worked here.

If Steve had spent a couple of years dating (aka fucking) a bunch of different women, but never found someone he connected with as much as the ex-wife, I could see them getting back together. The wife would have to remain celibate, and be heartbroken when she heard about Steve moving on, until he surprises her one day and asks her out for a drink. After she earnestly explains that Chad meant nothing, she never loved him, and he was actually shit in bed compared to Steve, the ex-husband gives her another chance.

-

2) Steve stops grieving for his marriage and moves on.

The ex-wife hears about him going out on dates, and is heartbroken when she finds out he's very popular with younger, prettier women. Eventually, Steve falls in love with some hot babe, who the kids really like because she's kind to them and makes their dad happy. Consumed with jealousy and bitter regret, the ex-wife hears about Steve getting closer to this new woman until they get married and start their own family. The story concludes with her finally getting to talk with Steve, where she apologises for destroying their marriage and tells him she's glad he's happy again. He forgives her, and they become friends as they co-parent together.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Sad, well-written. I gather from comments on here over the years that few if any cheating wives manifest the more or less fair agreement that she signed off on. Yes, she should have gotten nothing but....not how the system works, so this was a good outcome for Steve.

I do think a few paragraphs about how the brain dead plan to go on a cruise came about. It was the tip-off for the husband and it reeks of arrogance and stupidity to an extent that I at least would like to know how thy thought they could get away with such a stupid plan.

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 2 years ago

Powerful. A fairly well written Story about a wife who for some reason that's never fully explained had a massive brain fart or a character flaw...... That paid a tremendous price.

No matter what you think of this story nobody who's rational can say that the wife did not pay a huge price for her actions and her behavior.

..

Since the wife never fully understands why she decided to have this affair and never once think about the consequences of what it would do to her to her husband to their family to her kids.... Reconciliation is of course impossible.

GarySmith69GarySmith69almost 2 years ago

What is with all these stories about "happily married" and satisfied wives who suddenly cheat on their husband? And why is it a "fantasy" that a lot of writers try to explain but never really do so.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Tugging at the heartstrings good. Gave it 5 stars but would have given it 4.5 stars because of Steve's neglect of his kids. Even at your very worst, you have to think of your kids and how everything is and will effect them.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I cried for the first time in 12 years of being divorced. This story brought back terrible memories of my failed marriage to a woman who had clearly lost respect for me over the last third of a 20 year marriage. I caught her having sex with a close married friend and divorced her ass faster than you can say divorce. I lived for my kids because I knew they needed me and I needed them, but I grieved for my marriage. Great story and tremendous insight. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Sad, Is there a reconciliation on the horizon?

miket0422miket0422almost 2 years ago

Unique way to find out the wife is cheating. Have to give points for that all on its own.

Also nice to see when the cheating wife takes responsibility for her actions.

1Thinkingman1Thinkingmanalmost 2 years ago

Pure fantasy but I liked it. Cheaters never act like this because if they did they would never have cheated in the first place. *****

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Felt like a gourmet meal without salt!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Horse shit. Steve was a child. She is better off without him. It is REQUIRED of him to forgive. Good riddance to the man-child.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

The husband is a unfriendly moron who doesn't care for his children and the wife is immature and selfish.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I liked it, but it needs an ending!

demanderdemanderalmost 2 years ago

What happens when one or the other of them finds a new mate? I mean a spouse. D

ffarmerffarmeralmost 2 years ago

An extremely sad example of how self-centeredness can completely destroy. There are no do-overs in life. Your talent for writing put me front & center in this family's heartbreak and chaos.

buzzsawlennybuzzsawlennyalmost 2 years ago

See now that was some realism...nothing but pain,and destruction. All for nothing and no way back only forward through a minefield

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

That was good. Very realistic.

Thanks for the effort.

Doc

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Yes, she betrayed him in a way that has no real pathway back.

Burned bridges. But one day in the future he may realize she did everything right in the aftermath.

He could have fallen into a huge funk/depression. He was starting to ignore his own kids. She deserves credit for maintaining at least that much. Is that enough for forgiveness, fuck no. But he was about to divorce his kids, and his respect with the drinking binges.

The scary and sad part about this story is how true it rings in a biological sense. Women interviewed that have cheated are more easily able to disconnect their affairs from their routine life. Social media plays up men as living double lives, and being pigs/dogs sexually. But it's actually women that lie better, compartmentalize better, and feel less remorse when cheating. It's probably a hold over from our more primal days. A woman's survival depended a lot more on flawless social cohesion. A man can take risks to uphold one way of acting/thinking because he can more easily leave a tribe and survive. A woman, especially with kids, was beholden to her group more. So their brains seem more wired for effortless compartmentalizing. Almost like the brain asks for permission, rather than true reasons. Why bother trying to justify cheating if it's not even registered in your brain as cheating? Much easier to carry on the affair, less chance of discovery, less guilt ridden days.

demanderdemanderalmost 2 years ago

BTW the paragraph that ends with the family museum, history..... That's a classic and worth reading the piece only for that. D

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Excellent story. Sad that such a good.marriage could fall due to stupidity. Sometimes consequences can seem too much compared to the actions...however sometimes infidelity can kill all love and trust. TC Ireland

JH4FunJH4Funalmost 2 years ago
Good Story (3 Stars)

This was a good read. It showed some unique thought. The taking of the kids to stop her from going on the cruise. Then the sharing of the house.

Sometimes a good story doesn't have to be BTB or RACC.

Your favorite story of mines so far is still "A Mighty Pen," however.

Keep Writing

JH4Fun

Nasty56Nasty56almost 2 years ago

Plausible story about regrets. Choices have consequences and in these days and ages nothing can be kept secret!

CriosCriosalmost 2 years ago

Another top-notch story. Believable (enough) storyline, excellent dialog.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Very good thx you, not absurd btb or RAAC, its refreshing

numbnutz49numbnutz49almost 2 years ago

5* - this was a tough to read story and it felt like these events actually happened to someone in the author's life. Most stories like this either paint the wife as clueless or a saint whose mistake was a minor thing. This one felt like a very remorseful wife emerged as soon as it was apparent that her husband was gone and would be gone forever. I think her acceptance of that fact is what made this story powerful. I recommend it to all of the hardcore BTB readers. You will get what you want but should also realize in the end, neither of them got what they wanted!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

not bad.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Really well done

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I liked it. The begging and the build up. But as usually far too many loose ends.

SyzyguySyzyguyalmost 2 years ago

5* Such a sad story - and believable. She and Chad were so stupid to arrange the cruise, it was sure to leak out one way or another, but it is your story in your world. I don't know how the children, particularly Charlie, will cope going forward. The fact that I am thinking of them as "real people" shows just how strong this is. Everyone lost.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

You know what I don't get. The whole "I didn't mean to hurt you" ...😂😂😂 what? How you didn't mean to hurt your spouse and you're cheating? Cheaters thinks just because the spouse don't knkw about the treachery, there would be no hurt.. that's not true. It's like not knowing you have cancer. Just because eyou don't know about the cancer doesn't mean it will hurt even less. It doesn't mean the cancer is not doing serious damage to your body... how did she think her husband would feel knowing she wasn't only cheating but was planning vacations with her lover, while she leaves her husband at home to watch their kids?.....what type of love is this? I don't want or need that type of fuck'd up love. These delusional sluts makes no sense. "I Love steve" does she?😂😂😂.. is that why she's been fucking her boss for months? Is that why she planned a cruise to go on vacation with her lover for 5 days? Who paid for this cruise?.. yeah, I can see how much she loves him😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭.. nothing says love like betrayal, treachery, lies and deceit... why is it she's just now realizing she had kids with this man and her cheating will destroy not only her husband but her kids? I don't get it. You have kids. You want them growing up with both sets of parents. Why would you purposely shit all over that? I had no sympathy for this wife. She's only sorry she was found out.. had he not left the kids at the dock with her, she would've been riding Chad's dick all over the ship the entire 5 says. If she really loved her husband and family, she would've kicked Chad in the nuts when he first approached her. Then she would've filed a sexual harassment suit on that ass. I don't get the whole fucking your boss.. I'm not fucking my boss and still show up for work.. that's backwards whoring🤭... I had 2 supervisors that got fresh. I not only told them about themselves with a threat of slapping the nastiest fucking sexual harassment lawsuit on that ass, I told my husband. I never once thought it was cute or appropriate.. I'm always confused in these stories when the wife is banging the boss. I just don't get it. I've had more male bosses than females and I never wanted to fuck any of them... this woman was looking to cheat. It shouldn't of been that easy to fall into Chad's bed. It shouldn't of been that easy to lie to her husband and kids. She walked herself in that situation. It's totally inappropriate to be going to lunch dates with your boss. It's totally inappropriate to be talking about your marriage business with your boss.. she should've known she was opening up pandoras box.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I did not like the Steve character. He seemed very shallow, as particularly shown when he went on a drunk and attempted a punitive divorce settlement. I could see why his wife might want to experience something or someone better than Steve.

SDN1955SDN1955almost 2 years ago

Well written story. A pretty realistic look at the aftermath of cheating discovered. Nice change of pace from the explosions of BTB stories (which have their own type of enjoyment).

Just_WordsJust_Wordsalmost 2 years ago

That story comes right out of real life. You don't always get a second chance.

Lifestyle66Lifestyle66almost 2 years ago

Interesting story, but it is a BTB story (which I don't really care for.)

The main part which I find "fictional" is her never ending self-deprecation for causing it. In my experience, people do no real wrong in their own mind, or at least they'll come to grips believing it wasn't really wrong. Otherwise, she would be headed for a very bad ending. And, yes, I know a couple similar to this, and she doesn't believe she was wrong.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

About the only bit that seemed disconnected was early when you wrote it that she couldn’t figure out where Steve went, and if he was having an affair. Given the reality of the situation, those thoughts would NOT have been going thru her mind 😎

.

Otherwise, you did a good job of allowing us to get an appreciation of the despair that the cheater was going thru. That she accepted it rather than really fought it was probably a bit of a stretch, but not much.

.

Very well done.

.

5 *****

lc69hunterlc69hunteralmost 2 years ago

Why do so many writers paint the husbands as weak little boys who can't handle life? If Steve would have manned up, it would not have had to end like this.

Slick742Slick742almost 2 years ago

Very creative start and you dove deeply into the cheating wife’s mind. This should be read by any person thinking about cheating. Though I didn’t see how the husband found out. The only hole in the storyline. Thanks 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Excellent, the most true to life story I have read here in a long time. I was a supervisor in a factory for 37 years and have been thru fifty or sixty divorces. This story sounds like many actual ones I have heard over the years.

RSKY

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Am I getting older or what? This may be one of the few where I feel sorry for the wife. Well for the rest of the family too. Damn.

Cheers, Captcha

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I’m not sure what authors make of comments…if anything. My initial inclination was not to comment at all, given that I largely agreed with what others were saying (especially authors I admire, like bebop, legio, etc.). But on the off chance that this author values even redundant comments, I wanted to express my admiration for a story well told. It felt like I was the proverbial fly on the wall watching a marriage crumble. It wasn’t fun, but it was certainly moving. This author was already on my (fairly short) list of people to read, so this story only buttressed that decision.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Well written and thoughtful story. If Steve was supposed to be such a strong person he didn't show that getting drunk everyday and forgetting about his kids.

SkubabillSkubabillalmost 2 years ago

An excellent five star story. I expect there will be a reconciliation story to accompany this one and that is okay but I feel this story stands alone just fine.

jasonnhjasonnhalmost 2 years ago

It was nice that she took full ownership of her actions and worked to keep the kids in a good place.

It was frustrating that she had a wonderful husband, great kids, and when she felt a little stress, as all of us do from time to time, she chose such a destructive way to deal with it. Even later, she is clueless about WHY she did what she did. We all have moments we make bad snap decisions. Like going out with Chad the first time. But then she plots to continue meeting with him, having sex with him, and sneaking off on a cruise with him. This wasn't a brain fart. This was an deliberate abdication of her responsibilities as a wife and a mother. She remains completely befuddled as to WHY she did it.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 2 years ago

"Why did my husband torpedo my vacation?" - Isn't the "why" obvious?

\

Several comments on how "realistic" the story was, and that's part of it's problem. Reality is often boring, as was much of the story, Needed more conflict, maybe with her not being so quick to accept responsibility.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Wow!!

Great story about the effects of cheating on everyone.

Only part I didn't agree with was her supposed love for him. One time slip?! Maybe?! But all those lunches and then added physical cheating to mental and emotional.

I know very few people who would believe respect and love left or very little.

And love had to be hit.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

The why of the affair was about power. She felt locked-in, powerless. She stole some carefree moments to gain power over her life. But they were stolen from her family. She could have asked, and the communication would have made her and the family stronger. To be fair, the husband's response grabs back power but first by risking the children's safety and then sacrificing their mental health. So, who is the bigger creep?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Very good story - but left hanging! What about those children? How will they grow without knowing the truth?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen a cheating wife be so magnanimous with her husband once she's outed for cheating. Most women will punish their husband when they seek to divorce them for cheating using every advantage the courts grants to them taking their kids and as much of their husbands money as they can.

I think this story illustrates the idea how men love idealistically while women love opportunistically. To the end the wife was still rationalizing and compartmentalizing her life. She had everything sorted out on how her life, her ex-husbands life and the kid's lives was going to go forward and everyone was going to find their own happiness. Kind of an overtly opportunistic view point not taking into consideration the long terms effects of betrayal and divorce has on all parties concerned, including her ex-husband, the kids and even herself. Considering she never sought out answers to WHY she cheated in the first place, how can she assume she's learned what not to do the next time she feels like taking a break from life because she feels like she deserves it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

is there going to be a second chapter

WhackdoodleWhackdoodlealmost 2 years ago

Divorce happens all the time and it doesnt have to devolve into violence, or enduring poverty.

I am very tired about reading stories of perfect husbands being cheated on.

Almost every goddamn story has a saint for a husband. Like come the fuck on! No one is perfect, so why pretend? You think it makes the story better?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Very realistic story. Well written. I liked it. This kind of outcome from cheating is likely the most common kind of outcome.

One spouse cheats. Ugly. Betrayal. Otherwise good marriage. For not good reason carries on an affair.

It devastates the other spouse. That spouse was all in on the marriage. Fully in love and committed. Happily sacrificed themselves for their family. And then are betrayed in the worst possible way.

If you've never known this level of love and commitment...then you don't know how devastating this can be. Your world is just operated in a few days or weeks.

How do you recover that? Most people can't. It's over. Divorce. And for fucks sakes. WHY would you ever force someone who was betrayed so deeply to HAVE to forgive and have a relationship?

This couple found a balance. It worked for them. It worked for their kids. And they were able to coparent successfully.

Nobody is required to forgive Jack shit.

Sure...eventually it can bring healing. But we all know plenty of people whose feelings for a mate in this situation just turn from love and affection to hatred in a day. It just is.

And sometimes...that's a big motivator. And people change their lives because of events like this.

He handled it the best way he could. First he numbed the pain. Then he focused on the kids with some help. And eventually he moved past things and became indifferent to her.

He doesn't need to forgive. Or if he does forgive? He doesn't "owe" it to her to tell her or express it or share it with her. He really doesn't owe her anything except to share the bills and take care of the kids and the house.

It almost seems like there's some who feel like he needs to have a big kumbiya meeting where they all share and talk and forgive.

Rarely in real does that shit happen. This story seemed real to me. More real than some of the ridiculous reconciliation shit I read on here. Like "oh...you carried on a 4 year affair and I found out about it 3 weeks ago. But I've already forgiven you honey."

Yeah. That's bullshit. I preferring story to that one. Every day of the week.

What is more telling is reading some of the comments about how Steve is immature. Or an idiot. Or he is required to forgive?

WTF are you talking about?

It's o

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Very sad but so realistic. Steve's reaction is so much closer to what an actual man's that it makes the story relatable. There shouldn't have been any doubt about why people were getting divorced at the office as Steve should have nuisance sued Cha just to point things out.

irinmikeirinmikealmost 2 years ago

One of the better short stories I have ever read on this site. The plot line unfolds in a timely manner and is realistic rather than being out there in never, never land. This author has written a story that exhibits real life no matter how sad the outcome. Keep publishing as your prose is outstanding.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapualmost 2 years ago

Poignant, sad tale of a cheating being discovered and its devastating aftermath I feel that the cheater's remorse stemmed from being caught not from conscience. She played the stupid game now she's enjoying her stupid prize. Now the stupid female can have as many breaks from the boredom of marriage as she wants.

/

Nice work rhetthebrat

maedhros21maedhros21almost 2 years ago

As much as I enjoy the over the top btb stories and even a good number of RAAC stories they are all hard to believe with some of the stuff that happens in them. This however was real life put on a plate for all to see, this is how most divorces over infidelity actually happens in the real world. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A good read. Mostly non erotic to me more so than a LW story but good nonetheless. What I don't get is the sharing of the house week by week. To me, that feels more disruptive than anything else. Where do they go on their off week? So they now each have another house, condo, apartment or something and also a shared house? Did I miss where one outright now owns the house?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

How depressing. Another story about a pussy husband, who runs away and pouts. He had zero thoughts of his kids with his face in a bottle and I find it hard to believe you could go without some kind of communication. Ironic that she seemed to care more about the relationship than he did. I do have stories where the cheated on husband runs and hides, turns the phone off and doesn't lift a finger to understand any of it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

An excellent and well constructed tale. Full of pathos to get even the most hardened reviewer thinking. Very true of life today - unfortunately.

Frank66Frank66almost 2 years ago

Dang, we ask for realism, we get it shoved down our virtual throats. Strongly worded and powerfully emotional. My one critique would be that she who was such a thoughtless twit before the cruise, acted so mature afterwards. Could she grow up so fast? Reconciliation works in some cases, and this is one. Would love to see it come alive on these pages some time in the future.

lukeshortlukeshortalmost 2 years ago

Good story. While not as exciting as some other stories of this genre, it is probably closer to reality.

sloggersloggeralmost 2 years ago

Really enjoyed the story. Probably so much more real than many than are written here. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

We'll, it would be good to think about consequences beforehand..... After the deed, it usually is too late.

patilliepatilliealmost 2 years ago

Nice job, compelling, real world belivable and fast paced. well done

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

For, the critics of Steve, I can only assume that they've never had the displeasure of being emotionally and spiritually gutted by the love of your life with the nasty blade of infidelity.

Dylan1Dylan1almost 2 years ago

Wonderful, easy 5. It makes a nice change to read something someone has put a lot of thought and time into. Well done.

nixroxnixroxalmost 2 years ago

3 stars for a standard heart wrenching BTB - the KIDS always suffer the consequences.

Leaving the kids with their mom at the cruise ship dock and walking away was a novel idea and well done.

BrentJWBrentJWalmost 2 years ago

Good story. I liked how he prevented the cruise even though I can’t understand how she would not notice Steve walking away on the dock. How do intelligent people think they can’t be caught in an affair with a co worker that is fairly blatant? It’s beyond me, there are always a thousand possibilities for a tip off.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I could not help thinking, the story was so well written and clearly defined. the author had walked down this road.

Heartbreaking story. Everyone should read this if they are considering destroying a family and the children.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcalmost 2 years ago

We’ll done - I’ll give the standard comment in stories like this one, how’d it end over their lifetime? 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

As others have said, nice balance of outcomes.

ribnitinribnitinalmost 2 years ago

Well done. Realistic characters, emotions and behavior. Drama, but no melodrama.

ManoBlueManoBluealmost 2 years ago

I don't respect either! I'm always on the the Husband to at least get even or divorce in a real player way. Him running away like that and hiding he's pathetic.

russ603russ603almost 2 years ago

Finally a story with a realistic ending. In divorce, no one wins. Those hurt most are the children. Thanks for a down-to-earth story with a real ending.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Just another selfish woman turning to others when life gets boring, all to common now days

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

That was really well written and very emotional and it left me feeling sad for them all. I guess that is proof of how well this story was conceived and executed. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

“If killing myself right now would fix it, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But it won't.” You’re wrong, it would fix it. A dead mother is better than a slut one.

"I'll do anything short of giving up my kids.” If you love your children, you should give them up. He’s a better person than you. You’re a cancer that needs to be cut off from the family so that your corruption doesn’t spread to your children.

“ if our children were to make it through our divorce as healthy as possible they needed to see us acting kindly towards each other.”. No, they need to see that when people break promises, they are punished. Your children need to see that when you hurt someone, it’s just for you to suffer in return.

ZK

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great story. The dumping of her kids at the dock was classic. In the real world I wouldn't condone weaponizing children but in LW fiction it was unique and entertaining. The husband could come across as weak and selfish, wallowing in his sadness but I see it as real. The only thing that bothers me is that he truly wasn't blindsided just before she planned to leave. He knew a couple of weeks beforehand. Since he did have knowledge beforehand going on a drinking binge was odd behavior. It was good to see the wife remember what was most important, the children. The shame is she remembered so late.

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinionalmost 2 years ago

I liked the story. Didn't love it because they couldn't put it back together. Infidelity causes so much hurt and pain, and not just to the principal people involved but to so many others who are touched by the act. I would have given it 5 stars if the author had managed to include reconciliation in the end. Maybe there will be a Cruise On, Bye part 2. It would take some careful thought to make it work but since the first was written so well I think it's doable.

boneham21boneham21almost 2 years ago

Well written gave a 3***. Any betrayal this serious deserves some retribution, more so when spouse "has not asked for it" or brought it on themselves. Score would have climbed with direct consequence to the wife or the husband.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I thought the story was heartfelt and heartbreaking. It really aggravates me that so many commentators see all reconciliation as RAaC, very juvenile thinking. I am not saying they should reconcile, but This wife was genuinely remorseful, and genuinely wanted Steve to heal. In a case like this there is a real risk of the husband becoming a sanctimonious asshat.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I Found A Disturbing Disconnect Between The Words And Thoughts, Versus The Actions.

The husband abandoned the wife at the gang plank, but he also abandoned his kids. How could he be sure she wouldn't just sit the kids on a bench to await their father's return while she boarded the boat? And then he goes off on a week long drunk without verifying the kids are OK? The whore called his family, but they Never called her to find out the status of the children, their needs? You had his whole family abandon the children. He's had weeks to plan, to organize and arrange the end of their marriage, to process the pain and betrayal, and the best he can do is to just walk away and go off on a drunken pity party? And we are supposed to feel sorry for him? His Actions portray a man who is immature, cowardly, and having limited intelligence and imagination. He should have taken the kids home and had the wife served with divorce papers as soon as she stepped on the boat. He should have arranged with the asshole's wife to do the same to her cheating husband. So many missed opportunities. You made him a clueless crying drunk, with heartless parents and siblings. Why?

The wife of course wins the prize for disconnection from reality. "I guess I just thought about any time with Chad as a timeout from normal life. It didn't affect my marriage, except to take some stress off of me, so there was no reason to feel bad. I loved Steve completely. He was my life partner. Chad was just a trip to the gym or a nice massage." I'm not a professional, but to me that sounds like the justification of a sociopath. Totally disconnected from responsibility, commitments, and reality. If it was just the sporadic fucking the wife Might have some claim to casual recreational sex, with no emotion. But she planned a Week Long vacation with Chad, on a cruise ship. This was not just about sex. This was planned romance, dining, dancing, erotic clothing, nude swimming, laughter, sight seeing, entertainment, making memories of their relationship. This Was The Planned Actions Of Two Lovers On A Honeymoon! But then you have the wife claiming the most ridiculous sentiments: "I loved Steve. I knew that in every bone in my body. And I had hurt him as badly as someone could. Maybe I could heal him -- after all, I knew him better than he probably knew himself -- but he wouldn't give me that chance." But Steve HAD given her that chance. If she knew him so fucking well why didn't she pickup on his severe mental distress after he learned of her whoring, or at the gang plank? She sensed Nothing.

It got tedious and obnoxious the number of times you have the wife claiming she loves her husband totally and completely, and how sorry and remorseful she is, and how she wants to make it up to him. Well, except when he proposes she give him the lion's share from their marriage assets in the divorce, and she decides suicide may be OK, but letting go of her 50%? Not Happening! And as a full time dental hygienist she should be making over $78,000 a year. Well, she's doing it for the children, of course. Again, looks and quacks like a mentally dysfunctional person to me. Or just so completely egotistical and narcissistic that she can't see past her own desires, appetites, and self importance. The whore demonstrates she is incapable of being a loyal loving faithful wife. Why did you leave out where she starts fucking Chad again? Oh, you had her claim she wasn't "dating." But she never said she wasn't fucking. Remember, fucking Chad had Nothing to do with her "normal" life, so it doesn't count.

A truly great effort, but ridiculous premises, justifications, explanations, reactions, and behaviors. Maybe this story should be in the Fantasy/Science Fiction category, this woman is from a different planet. Still, thanks for the effort.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous