Cupid Sarrow

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Of course, sir. Please follow me," the waiter confirmed, leaving his post and leading David inside. "Please take a seat. My colleague will be with you shortly."

Compared to the restaurant, the bar itself was much smaller, and far quieter. There was a bar, with a couple of smartly dressed bartenders rustling up drinks, and a handful of low tables each surrounded by equally low-lying comfy chairs, all bar one being empty. David took a table, strategically positioned towards the front of the bar area, with an unobstructed view back towards the entrance of the restaurant.

When the bartender arrived, David ordered a long cool beer and started to wait. David took a sip, then sat back to do a bit of people watching. If this Sarrow was going to be here, then he would see them coming.

At first it was all couples. They came and went, taking a temporary seat while they waited for tables to be readied, then heading off for their own romantic dinner.

David started to worry when a single man walked towards him. Was that it? Had he been hit up by another man? How would David explain that it really wasn't his style? The guy was walking straight towards the bar, straight towards the waiting David. David got a bit restless. This wasn't in the plan. David was readying himself to make his excuses, when a woman approached from the opposite direction, welcoming the stranger with a most friendly embrace. The newly formed couple headed off in search of their own table. David though, just sat there, relieved at the seeming near miss.

It was another ten minutes or so before anyone else arrived. David glanced up at the young woman as she headed towards the bar. She was a pretty young thing, short in stature, with shoulder length mousy hair, and the most gorgeous legs. It was nice to see somebody normal, David thought to himself, admiring her more natural appearance compared to those who donned themselves up to high heaven.

There was a touch of style in the way the young woman dressed; opaque black tights, a dark grey large-checked shift dress, flats and scarf made up a smart yet understated outfit. Was he staring? It was hard not to, as the young woman walked towards him. There was something familiar about the face, but David couldn't quite put his finger on where he might have seen her before.

When she smiled at David, his heart skipped a beat. Should he know the young woman? Was this his date for the evening? How was he going to manage the awkward introduction, admitting his unintentional ignorance? She was upon him now. David was sure he hadn't imagined the smile. Was she slowing down?

David was about to stand up, to break the ice, when the young woman walked on past. There wasn't a hello, a nice to meet you, an... I wasn't sure you would come. Reluctantly, but expectedly, David realised his hopes had been dashed.

With the clock well past seven, David lost any optimism he might have had. Here he was, sat alone in a swanky restaurant, staring down at an almost empty beer glass. Another ten minutes, David told himself. Another ten minutes and then he'd head back home. That would be twenty past and surely time enough to cover any polite lateness.

David glanced around. There was a couple at the bar, him at his table, and the young woman sat on her own. Still David couldn't quite put his finger on where he knew the face from. She looked a little like his colleague Sarah, but Sarah had bright red hair, and he knew his co-worker was happily in a relationship. David couldn't help but watch for a moment. He wasn't the only one looking for somebody.

Lauren hadn't thought twice about coming out for the evening. She never missed a dinner date with her older sister, and she wasn't going to miss this one either, especially at such an impressive restaurant. It wasn't exactly her sister's style. Usually, Sarah was more open in her invitations, and usually they dined somewhere a little more down market.

Lauren was already wondering if she had gone too understated for the night, but that was her style. She wasn't one to blow her own trumpet, to put herself on a pedestal for all to stare at. Sarah might have done, and you wouldn't miss her with that flame red hair, but not Lauren.

There was something else strange about this evening. Yes, Sarah might have been the feisty, unpredictable one, but she wasn't normally late. Okay, so sometimes she was late, but she always called if it was going to be more than a few minutes. It had now been ten and there was no sign of Sarah, nor any call on her mobile phone with an excuse for her sister's tardiness or even a reason she couldn't make it.

Lauren found herself looking around. Had she misunderstood, and was she meant to be meeting in the restaurant. She grabbed the attention of the bartender and sent him off to double check. It was as her searching look came back towards the bar, that Lauren's gaze met that of the man at the table across the way.

She recognised him. He was a colleague of Sarah's. He'd been at their joint birthday party, and Lauren had to admit that she'd spent most of the night eyeing him up. No, not like that. Lauren wasn't that way inclined. She just thought he was... well... cute was the word she had used afterwards when Sarah gave her the third degree.

They hadn't met per se. They hadn't talked, other than a quick introduction from her sister. It was the story of Lauren's life. The thought of what might have been if she didn't always wait for someone else to make the first move. Should she say hello now? Lauren racked her brains.

What was his name? Derrick, Dominic, David? Yes, that was it... David.

Once more Lauren smiled. It was nothing more than a polite smile, an acknowledgement that she thought she recognised him. This time David did smile back, or at least gave the merest hint of an acknowledgement. Maybe she was wrong. Maybe it wasn't the David she though it was. What would that make Lauren, sitting here smiling at strangers?

Lauren pushed the thought out of her mind. She was back to thinking about her sister. Mobile in hand, she was ready to make that call.

On the table in front, David had given up. It was good while it lasted, David thought to himself. He didn't know who he expected to meet, but the answer now was clear. He had been set up. He would apologise to the waiter, explain that his partner couldn't make it, offer to pay for the table, then discreetly make his way home. It was better than sitting there eating alone. David had done a lot of that on his business travels, and he knew just how lonesome it could be. He downed the last of his beer and beckoned the bartender over to get the bill.

What happened next, took them both by surprise.

"Sorry to disturb you. Does anyone have a reservation in the name of Sarrow?" a man's voice called out to the whole bar area.

As if in unison, both Lauren and David responded.

"Yes," replied David.

"That's me," came Lauren's response.

For a moment there was quiet. David looked at Lauren. Lauren looked back at David. Neither of them knew quite what to say. Finally, it was David who broke the silence.

"Are you waiting for Sarrow?" David asked.

"Sarrow?" Lauren replied. "I guess so. I was meeting my sister here, but she hasn't arrived."

Her sister? Suddenly the penny dropped. That's where David had seen the young woman before. He was sure of it.

"Your sister? Are you Sarah White's sister?"

Lauren smiled. She hadn't been wrong after all. This was the David who had come to their birthday party.

"I'm Lauren... and you... you must be David, if I'm not mistaken."

It was David's time to smile. The awkward, sorry I don't remember your name moment had been avoided.

"Yes, that's me... and no, I'm not waiting on your sister... well, I wasn't expecting to be. I just... god... this is tricky."

"Try me," Lauren suggested, intrigued now as to how they could both be responding to the same name. It was a name only Lauren should know. It was the name she called Sarah when they were younger, much younger, so how could he react to it?

"Here," David responded, taking a slightly bent card out of his coat pocket. "It was left on my desk, and I just... god... this is so sad of me... I just had to find out who had left it."

"I see," came a smiled reply. "You know, it's just like the one on my doormat."

"You got one too?" David asked.

"Oh yes, and I know who sent them," came the answer.

"You do?"

"You know her too. I think my sister has some explaining to do. I'm sorry David. I really am, but I think we've both been sent on bit of a wild goose chase."

"Sorry to rush you sir, ma'am. Will you still be wanting the table? It's just that dinner was already paid for, and it is non-refundable to cancel so late," the waiter asked.

"Errm... I guess... sorry, no," Lauren responded, her usual insecurity taking over.

"That's okay," the waiter responded, "I'll let the front desk kn--"

"It's okay," David replied to the waiter. "Give us a moment. We'll take the table."

"Of course, sir. I'll be in the restaurant waiting," came the reply.

With that, the waiter disappeared back into the hustle and bustle of the restaurant. David watched as he headed towards an empty table towards the back, assuming that must be theirs... well, at least assuming that must be his.

"Look, Lauren," David started, addressing his flustered companion. "Sorry, too presumptuous of me. Do you mind me calling you Lauren?"

"Of course not," Lauren responded.

"Well, the way I look at it," David continued, trying his best to sound calm and comforting. "We're here now, maybe on false pretences, but we're here. There's a table with our name on it. Okay, there's a table with Sarrow's name on it. It seems a waste to let it go, don't you think?"

"Well, I guess..." Lauren started.

"And your sister has gone to a lot of trouble, expense as well, and she will be expecting you to report back on how good the dinner was."

"That's true," Lauren agreed.

"So, we have three options," David added.

"Three?" Lauren asked, looking quizzically at David.

"Yes... three. You take the table, have a nice meal at her expense, and tell her how good it was... or I do the same... or, and I know this sounds presumptuous..."

David paused. Should he be suggesting the third possibility? It wasn't her fault that Sarah had been so devious, setting them up like this. He was looking forward to the dinner, and he was sure that Lauren would have been too. David had eaten alone so many times and he knew how much fun it wasn't. Would she go for it though? Should he even be suggesting the third possibility?

David glanced at Lauren. She was very pretty, and he wouldn't mind a little company.

"... well, we could eat together," David finished.

"Together?" Lauren replied, a hesitation in her voice.

"That's if you want to," David added. "It would be a shame to waste the food, and I know I'd welcome some company. Just dinner... nothing more... and then we can go our merry ways. We can both report back to that sister of yours. What do you think?"

"I... I...," Lauren started.

In her mind she was trying to find an excuse, a reason to turn David down. It was like being back at her birthday party. He had been there, and she had spent most of the night with eyes on no one else. That night though, Lauren had spent her time making excuses, and never picking up the courage to get to know him. He must have somebody already. I'd only be getting in the way. Why would he want somebody as dull as me? All of the excuses were there, and all had been put to good use over the years.

Now though, she was standing right next to David and, if she was not mistaken, he had just suggested they took dinner together. Her heart pleaded for Lauren to say yes. Her mind was still searching for the right excuse, the put you down gently which got her out of such tricky situations.

"What do you say, Lauren?" David asked. "Just friends... just..."

"Yes," Lauren responded.

"... having a bite to eat together..." David continued.

"Yes... yes..." Lauren replied again.

"... getting to know each other a bit more... thinking about absent... what?" David broke off from his gentle persuasion. He had been so intent on convincing Lauren to join him, that he wasn't even listening to the answer.

"I said, yes," Lauren added. "Yes, David. I'd enjoy that very much. That's if you don't mind having dinner with me."

For a moment there was silence. David stood there, letting Lauren's response sink in. Lauren on the other hand just hoped she had done right. It was David who broke the silence.

"Don't mind? Why would I mind? You're a beautiful young woman, and I'd be honoured to have your company."

Lauren started to blush. Nobody had called her beautiful before, at least not in a way that seemed so sincere. Her mind turned back to Sarah. It had been untoward, even underhanded, but maybe her sister had done her a favour. Only time would tell. For now... well... if nothing else, Lauren was going to enjoy the dinner.

"Now, Ms Lauren White," David added, taking on a more formal tone, "shall we eat?"

"Of course, Mr..." Lauren hesitated, before starting to laugh. "I'm sorry, David. I don't actually know your name."

"Arfield," David responded. "David Arfield, at your service ma'am."

With that, David held out a hand. It wasn't a full-blown handshake, but more of a hand of friendship, held out towards Lauren but kept down towards his side. For a moment they both stood there, and David wondered if he had overstepped a mark.

Slowly, gently, as if testing the temperature of the water, Lauren reached out towards him. She felt her tiny hand swallowed up by the warmth of his. Lauren didn't want to appear overly excited--she knew that hopes had a habit of being dashed--but it did feel good.

Moments later, the waiter showed them to their table. It was the one towards the back of the restaurant, nicely out of the limelight, perfect for a little friendly conversation. As they studied the menu, it was Lauren who noticed something else. She held the reservation card up, smiled, then looked at David.

"Do you know who Sarrow is?" Lauren asked, showing him the card.

At first David didn't know what to say. The more he looked at the card, the more he started to laugh.

"Did I say something funny?" Lauren asked, a little perturbed that he was making fun of her.

"No... no... it's just... don't you see it, Lauren?" David added.

"See what? Sarrow is what I used to call my sister when I was young. I couldn't say Sarah and it sort of stuck."

"That's so sweet," David added, "but that's not why I'm laughing. Have you read the card?"

"Yes. It says... RESERVED FOR... and then the name."

"What name?" David asked.

"Sarrow. What other name would it be?" Lauren answered, indignantly.

"Is that all?" David asked.

Lauren stared at the card. There was a bit more, but that was printed on the paper just to make it look all romantic like.

"Go on, read it all," David continued.

"RESERVED FOR... Cupid... Sarrow..." Lauren read aloud.

"Now, read it quickly," David encouraged her.

For a moment Lauren was silent, but as the penny dropped, even she started to laugh.

"No... no... I can't..." Lauren stuttered.

"What does it say?"

Lauren took a deep breath.

"Reserved for Cupid... Sarrow," she repeated making sure not to mix the words.

"Cupid... Sarrow," David copied her. "Or, if you read it quickly then it might be Cupid's... Arrow. I reckon that sister of yours had this all planned."

"I'll kill her," Lauren responded, blushing once more.

"Not right now," David teased. "We've got dinner to enjoy first."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Two skinny cappas for Lauren," the guy behind the counter called out.

Lauren collected them, along with a slice of brownie, and brought them back to the quiet corner of the coffee shop, where the two women had settled down. It was their usual Sunday morning haunt. At least once every few weeks, the two sisters would catch up over coffee. It was pure coincidence, that their latest get together was the day after the night before. It was coincidence, wasn't it?

"So, Lauren," the redhead moved the conversation in a different direction, "how was the restaurant?"

Lauren bit her tongue. She really wanted to fly off the handle. How dare her sister decide to play cupid and blind date her with a stranger? How could she have the cheek to even think it was acceptable? Even if the food was great, and David turned out to be fantastic company, Sarah's behaviour was despicable. Still though, they were sisters, and nothing was ever to come between then.

Oh, and yes, Lauren did have to admit that her blind date was rather cute.

"What restaurant?" Lauren replied, a touch of sarcasm in her voice.

"I'm sorry," Sarah replied, "I just thought--"

"I should kill you 'sis. Table for Sarrow? Cupid Sarrow? What were you thinking of?"

A smile ran across Sarah's face.

"So, you did go," Sarah added. "Come on, Lauren. How was it?"

"If you mean the food, well that was fantastic. Not sure though how people can think it clever to eat with a couple of bits of wood. Damn stupid idea if you ask me."

"And?" Sarah added.

"And what?" Lauren responded. "And how was the guy you set me up with?"

"David?" Sarah added.

"Yes, David!" came a snapped response. "What on earth were you thinking of, 'sis?"

"Oh, god, Sarah I'm sorry. I saw the way you looked at him... you know... at our birthday. You did nothing but stare at David. I just thought..." Sarah tried to explain.

"Yep... you just thought," Lauren teased.

"I guess it didn't go so well," Sarah added. "Was he a no show? Or did you just not hit it off? Oh, 'sis... don't tell me you left him there."

"I nearly did," Lauren admitted. "I was so embarrassed."

"But you didn't?"

"God... 'sis... Sarrow... he was so nice."

"Nice? Just nice?"

"No, not just nice... charming... interesting... great company... and a true gentleman."

"And?" Sarah probed.

"And... we had dinner... and we shared a taxi back to mine... and he made sure I got in safely... and--"

"And... did you?" Sarah interrupted.

"Did I what?" came a most indignant reply.

"You know... you and David... did you... did you ask him in... did you make it a night to remember?"

"And... did you, Sarrow?"

Sarah smiled as she replied.

"Oh yeah. On the sofa... god yeah... that was one hell of a night. We kissed... we cuddled... ... we... I'll... I'll never forget that evening... that first time... mmmm, that sweet taste as I went down on--"

"Sarah!" Lauren interrupted. "What do you take me for?"

"Then tell me... tell me at least you gave him your number... asked him out for a second date," Sarah added.

Lauren went silent. She hadn't. She hadn't even thought about it. In her mind, it would be David who decided whether there was to be a second time or not. What if he hadn't enjoyed the night as much as she had? What if he was only playing with her when he called her beautiful?

"You didn't, did you?" Sarah asked.

Sheepishly, Lauren shook her head.

"Oh, my little sister. When will you learn? If you want something, then you need to get it. If you don't, then somebody else will."

"But... but... I'm not... you," Lauren tried to argue.

"That's just as well. If you were me, it would have been you on that sofa with my Jules. Be you, my girl. You have his number, don't you?"

Once more, that sheepish look came across Lauren's face, and she shook her head.

"What are we going to do with you?" Sarah responded, reaching for her phone.

Seconds later a tell-tale ping from deep inside Lauren's handbag told of a message just received.

"There," Sarah smiled. "Now you have his number. So, if you like him, do something about it."