Daisy’s Adventures: 02 Back to school

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She dithered a while, and fiddled with the coin as she thought. Two minutes later, she called for one of her assistants.

Speaking to him, she said, "This lady plans to attend as a student. While I handle some inquiries, I want you to find her a nice place to stay long term. She can afford a good place."

It took him a few moments for him to lift his eyes to my face.

"Yes, ma'am. Miss? Please come with me. I live nearby, and know some nice places."

Turning to the aide, I said, "Lead on." Turning back to the administrator, I said, "Thank you." I then went out, and the aide quickly joined me.

Once outside, I said, "I want a place where I can frequently bathe, as it is expected of me as a priestess. I would also like a place where I can set up a study area, and a visiting area, separate from my sleeping and bathing quarters."

"You wish a suite? Or would an apartment be better?"

"I desire independence, and the ability to have private time for my priestly and scholarly activities. Nearby places to eat good food would be a bonus."

"Your jewelry looks expensive. Can you afford a lot?"

"Easily, but I don't want to attract trouble. It tends to leave the area damaged when I vigorously defend myself."

"Let's see... I know a restaurant that owns an adjacent warehouse. You could get a lot of space, but would have to deal with making part of it into an apartment. Otherwise, getting so much space will be very expensive, and be difficult for a student to acquire, even with sufficient funds. Perhaps you can convince the warehouse owner to let you stay there?"

"Take me there, so I can see the warehouse. Is their food good?"

"One of their cooks is quite good, but he is only one of three they have. The others are decent, but not so much suitable for impressing others."

"I need ordinary food as well. Hehe."

He laughed with me. Soon, we arrived, and I could see the warehouse was somewhat run down. While he was not too enthused when he saw it, I was interested, as I could offer maintenance to improve it, and get a better welcome.

"Maybe this was not such a good idea."

"It might be a good idea, as I can likely get them to allow me to create a nice place to live if I also spruce up the rest."

"That could be a lot of work."

"Yes, but let's see what they have to say."

We went in, and asked to see the owner about renting space in the warehouse. While waiting, I asked to sample something they had on hand, offering to pay for it. I offered to pay for the aide as well, but he declined. When we were shown to the owner, he stared at me. Eventually, he looked up to my face, to the amusement of the aide.

"What is this about renting space in my warehouse?"

"I intend to enroll at the magic school. I will need a place to stay, but my preferences need a bit of space. You have a very large warehouse, and the aide, here, seems to think you might have sufficient space to rent out."

"Regrettably, I do, as it is not fully utilized. What kind of space do you need?"

"As a priestess of Isis, I prefer several baths a day. I would also want space to study, to sleep, and to entertain a few visitors."

"We don't have anything like a bath there. There is a barely adequate bathroom for the use of the workers."

"Not an issue. If you allow me to put in a bath, I will take care of all that."

"Really? Have you seen the place?"

"Only from the outside."

"Then, you know it is not the best building for living inside of."

"For a smaller rent, I would be glad to do some maintenance and other improvements. Then your warehouse would be more desirable."

"That is a lot of work. Do you have construction experience?"

"Yes. I can replace the walls with new wood, stone, or brick, as you want. You would need to provide suitable locks for the warehouse, but I will make my own portion secure. I can make a short internal corridor, so my place can be accessed from within, but it would have a door on each end. One with my lock, and one with yours."

"If you can really do all that, it would be worth a reduced rent."

"Could I see what I have to work with? Then we can negotiate space and prices."

We got up, and he took us through the kitchen, and grabbed some keys. We left out back, and walked over to the warehouse, and he let us in. It was instantly clear that less than half the space was used, and that the roof needed work. In the back, one of the corners was relatively empty.

"This would be the best place to create an apartment. The stuff here would need to be moved, but to a place where the roof is good."

"I see. How much space would I have to work with, and would it go to the roof?"

He thought about it, and pointed to a pair of support beams. "From the corner to these two beams, up to the roof."

I countered, "How about one beam further? And I would throw in ground-floor offices for the workers. It would use the same sewage as my place, but would be for the use of the staff. I would then have the space above for study, while leaving sufficient space below for a very nice bath and meeting room for my guests."

We went back and forth for a few minutes, and came to an agreement. Then we worked out a price, and a discount for improvements. But first, the roof needed fixing, and the space then cleared out. Once we came to an agreement, I asked that he get an official to visit so I could get permission to do the work. With his down payment, he sent someone to fetch an official. We celebrated with a meal in the restaurant. Afterwards, the aide left.

As expected, the official was reluctant to give all the needed permissions, but a small bribe and a whammie to make the paperwork happen was all I needed to start. The owner wanted me to use the same materials, so as to not be noticed by thieves thinking he suddenly had wealth. I created a ball of string that I used to mark off the area I was taking over. My bribe was sufficient to get most of the needed paperwork, so I gave him some more to get the rest. He would be back tomorrow with it. Once the official left, I wandered the neighborhood to see what was nearby.

In the evening, I slipped back in, unnoticed, even though it was locked. I checked, and there was only a night watchman, and I put him to sleep. I would keep watch for him as I did some basic repairs. I used what Aja taught me to evaluate the beams and other support structures, and I replaced a number of the weaker ones. I would first cast a solid illusion to support where the beam was, then I would cut out the beam, and create a new one without flaws, and stronger than what was there before. Then I would dispel the illusion and go on to the next one. I replaced nearly a quarter of them, and put the old beams in my future area.

Then I levitated to the roof to make repairs there. I started cutting out the bad spots, but quickly realized there were too many. So I decided to replace the entire roof. Using the first few holes, I poked through, and then cut a whole section of the roof off. I would then levitate and cut it into smaller parts and would send them to the old beam pile. Then I created a whole new section to replace it, complete with nails, and shingles. It took most of the night to replace the entire roof. I then went outside, and gave it a once over, to be sure the seams were covered and sealed. There was tar for sealing, and slate would last quite a while. What had been there was decent, but age and lack of maintenance had caused the problems.

When I finished, I cast an illusion of the old roof so no one would notice. It would slowly change, over months, into the current roof. Inside, I also cast illusions of walls to hide the junk pile. The next day, I got the other permissions I needed. I checked in at the school to confirm where I was staying. The administrator told me not to expect word for several more days. So I threw myself into finishing my apartment. I asked the workers where they wanted all the existing stuff in my space to be relocated. I started carrying stuff as indicated. When others weren't looking, I relocated heavy stuff by telekinesis. It only took about an hour. Then I cast an illusion of the empty space, while I built everything.

I wanted hot water, but I didn't want a fire. So I needed something to magically heat it. I figured it would be easy to let the office space have access, so I planned a magical device that would heat, purify, and pump it as needed. I started with a large tank below the roof to collect the rainwater. I also made an air intake just beneath the gutter, with a magical enchantment to keep critters out. This would provide fresh air to my new apartment. It would filter into several rooms, and exit from the kitchen and bathroom, to take any smells out. I connected the tank to a magic item that would be the centerpiece of the plumbing system. It would purify the incoming water, ensuring it was drinkable, and heat some of it for running hot and cold water.

The connection to the bath, was more complicated. It purified, heated, and circulated the water in the bath. That was a large marble tub, with room enough for two. The purification was smart enough to not remove scents or soap while someone was using the bath, and took an hour to remove such after the bath. Since the tub stayed full all the time, this allowed for a bubble bath that could last hours, yet be clear after only an hour. The magical unit added water as needed, and had a control on the wall next to the bath that set the temperature. Everything removed from the water was placed in a tiny outgoing stream that went into the sewer.

I had a vanity that opened to the hall, as opposed to the bedroom, where the bath opened up. Rather than create my own fixtures, I bought commercial toilets and sinks for my vanity, and for the office bathroom and kitchenette. The final feature I added to the bath was a special cover that made some seating. This could be used to make the steam from the bath into a sauna.

The bedroom had a door to the bath that would keep the steam out. It also had a full-size, freestanding mirror, and lots of closet space. Opposite the bedroom were stairs to the second floor. Then a wall and the rest of the lower floor was a visiting area and a door to the outside. When I created the second floor, I had the area over the offices be my study space, and the remaining area a place to exercise or lounge. Then I added windows with curtains, and I installed some skylights.

The next day, early, I canceled the illusion before the workers came in. They notified the owner, and he came over not long after. As I expected him, I was waiting in one of the new offices, with a pitcher of fruit juice and some glasses on the table. I was sipping juice as he came in.

"How...?"

"Come, sit down and drink some juice." I poured him a glass and placed it in front of him. Then I continued, "While I am a priestess, I am also a mage. The roof is replaced, and some support beams are also. Given what we agreed upon, my apartment is paid for somewhat over a year."

"You did all that? In two days?"

"Actually one. The second day was my apartment and these offices. I am not hooked up to the city water, but I redirected the gutters to my apartment to collect rainwater. I heat some of it, and allow you to access my supply. Please don't use it all. My used bathwater fills a cistern that supplies water to flush the toilets, so I don't cause as much flow into the sewers. Would you like to see my apartment?"

"Yeah..."

I drank the rest of my juice, and rinsed out my glass before putting it on the counter upside-down. He did the same. We went back outside, and around to the side, and I unlocked the door and opened it. I entered and he followed, and I gave him the nickel tour. It was still pretty bare, but he saw the large bed, and marveled at the bath.

"What do you think?"

"All this in a day?"

"Yes. I still have much to do. Lighting is the most important, but finishing the floors, adding furniture, and setting up the upstairs dojo and study area will take some work to get just right."

"All this in a day?"

"One reason I accepted your offer was for the privacy and space within the city. While it will be known you now have an apartment as part of the warehouse, only your people know how big it is, and only you and I know how nice it will be. In the meantime, your warehouse is sufficiently repaired that the weather will no longer be a problem. You can now store more here. And in time, as the walls and doors get fixed, you can store more valuable items without worry."

"Wow. I thought I was going to get free money and some small improvements, but this is so much more. I don't get any money, but the amount I saved on your repairs is a lot, and I can store so much more. Thank you. Come over to the restaurant for dinner, and I shall provide you a feast."

"I shall come. However, I shall be in local attire, to better blend in."

"Of course. If you need anything, just let me know."

I saw him to the door, and worked on finishing the floors and furnishings. I kept it somewhat sparse, so I could add if I needed something. I finished breaking the wood I had salvaged into small enough pieces to burn, and set them to the side, so I could keep the hot water tank hot. Then I tackled my closet. I made ten qipaos, with high-slit sides, and a cutout showing the curves of all four breasts. Then I made assorted shoes to match them. With an established place to stay, I would no longer shave my head, so I could let my hair grow. Late afternoon, I took another bath, and dressed in a qipao, before heading to the restaurant.

The owner escorted me to a reserved table near the kitchen, and said someone would be out shortly with the start of my meal. He went into the kitchen, and I heard a loud command from him, and soon I was served the first course of what turned out to be a sumptuous feast.

Halfway through, he came out and asked, "How do you like it so far?"

"Excellent, thank you."

"No. Thank you for what you have done." He then left.

When the last course was served, the cook came out, and after I tasted it, he came forth and introduced himself. I recognized the name from what the aide told me.

"I am told you did a great favor for our boss. He asked me to go all out for you. Tell me, do you like the food we have prepared?"

"Yes. The one who brought me here mentioned you specifically as someone who cooks great food, and I see he was right. I now live next door, and I think I will be here often for this wonderful food."

"That is high praise."

We spoke another minute before he excused himself for his duties. Fifteen minutes later, as I finished my drink, and the table was cleared, the owner came, and again thanked me, and walked me to the door, so I would not need to pay. I then went to my apartment to rest, then sleep.

The next few days, I meditated deeply, and used Inanna's power to examine the building, looking for flaws, stresses, and other imperfections. Starting with the area near my apartment, I applied her healing power to restore the building slowly. After I finished the first day, I realized I would need at least a week to finish. But the next day, I got word from the school.

The same aide came and got me, and he was quite surprised when I invited him in. Partly from how nice the place looked, but also by the qipao I wore.

"How?"

"I used magic, and got a great discount from the owner. You like?"

"Yeah. Um... That dress you're wearing? Where did you find it? It fits you perfectly, even your... um..."

"It was handcrafted to fit me."

"Oh my! May I touch it?"

"Yes."

"Ooo! That silk is smooth, and the pattern is so beautiful."

"Thank you. I take it you came for a reason?"

"Oh! Yes. Your sponsorship came through. Your presence is needed to complete the enrollment, and to figure out what classes you will take."

He was still feeling the silk, and I noticed him getting close to a breast. I let out a little of Inanna's power, and his hand started feeling the silk over my breast. After feeling it for a bit, he realized where his hand was and suddenly stopped.

I said, "Then let us leave." I totally ignored his embarrassed looks.

Later, as I was being interviewed by Master Chén, I said, "I want to learn about talismans."

He said, "Learning how to make a talisman takes a lot of time. It also requires the knowledge of certain magics to bind power to an item. Do you have much magical knowledge?"

"You misunderstand. I don't need to learn how to make one, but I want to learn what they can be made to do."

"That is unusual. Why would you not want to learn this skill?"

"I made this." I then pulled the letter opener from my waistband, and handed it to him.

"This is a nice letter opener. It looks quite well crafted. But a talisman?"

"Allow me to show you." I then touched it, and it changed into the dagger form.

"Oh! An enchanted dagger. Let me take a closer look."

He then cast a spell, and failed to see its magic. "Odd. I saw it change shape, yet cannot see any magic."

"Let me assist you."

He handed the dagger to me, and pointing it to the side, I caused it to become a sword.

"Yipe!"

"Cast your spell again, and I will activate it a little."

He did, and I then caused the aura to come forth a small amount.

"Whoa! That thing's powerful."

Then I dismissed the aura, and returned it to the letter opener form. Placing it back in my belt, I added, "It is a powerful lesser talisman, with an enchantment to hide its presence. Please don't speak of this to others, as I don't want to be hounded about it, or have it stolen."

"I must tell the headmaster. Something that powerful, he must be told."

"Then please ask him not to tell others."

"I shall, but he may not listen."

"Perhaps I should show him. Then he would understand better. Now, you understand my request?"

"That demonstration was very informative. You must be a powerful mage. As to learning what talismans can do, well, we don't have a class for that, exactly, but the advanced talisman-crafting class touches upon it. Master Rén is the instructor. Let me check his schedule."

He got up, and left his office a bit to consult with someone outside, then returned.

"You are in luck. He is still in class, but it will finish shortly. He has a break afterwards. Come, let's wait for him outside of the classroom."

We left, and headed to another building, and went upstairs to wait. Soon a class let out, and Master Chén got up. Once the students exited, we entered.

"Master Rén, I have an unusual student for you."

"Oh?"

"Yes. It seems Miss Smith desires knowledge of talismans, but already has made one."

Master Rén looked at me, and asked, "Really? You look far too young to have made one."

I just walked a few feet away, and laid the letter opener on the table. Then I caused it to become a sword, then made the aura appear.

I stepped away, and said, "Do you want to examine it?"

He came over, and started casting spells. Looking at me with wonder in his eyes, he cast more spells. Finally, he sat down in a nearby chair. "That talisman is potent. I'm not sure what all is in that, but I sensed the link to you. Best put it away."

I then called it back to me, and immediately returned it to my waist.

"What power did you bind to make it?"

"A named demon's life force, not the demon itself. It is no more. I call the blade 'Midnight, the demon bane'."

"A suitable title for a talisman of power."

Master Chén said, "It's that strong?"

"Yes. And a weapon. That aura was only one of its powers."

He stood, and bowed, "Miss Smith, I humbly apologize for my arrogance. I beg your forgiveness."

Master Chén was clearly shocked at this. Turning to Master Rén, I just bowed, as an equal, and said, "I see nothing to forgive, and a man of respect. I seek to learn more about the nature of talismans, not their creation. Can you enlighten me?"