David and Jen

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Serpentine Gallery came into view and Jen muttered, "Finally!"

Within a couple of minutes, they were handing their coats to the concierge and taking stock of their surroundings.

David's boss, Derek Cross, extracted himself from a small knot of people of people on the far side and strode swiftly over to greet them.

"David! Glad you could make it! And this must be Jen, or should I call you Jennifer?" He beamed.

"Jen is fine, thank you, Mr Cross," Jen replied quietly, slightly intimidated by this tall, rugged individual, not at all how David had described him.

He should be leading expeditions into the upper reaches of the Congo or maybe standing, legs astride some Canadian cataract, fishing for salmon.

"Excellent, excellent!" he boomed. "There's champagne at the bar, help yourselves and mingle!"

His head swivelled and, catching sight of another guest, he shouted, "André!" With that he was gone again.

David chuckled and as Jen threaded her arm into his, they made for the bar. He knew some of the crowd from work, but the rest were strangers ... except for one. His heart dropped into his boots.

Jen felt his tension.

"What is it, David, what's wrong?"

"Do you see the woman in the little black dress, straight dark hair, very tanned?" he whispered turning away.

"Yes, who is she?"

"Rosemary Ogilvie!"

"Ah," said Jen. "She's spotted you; she's coming over."

"Christ!" he muttered. "What does she want?"

"David? David it is you!" Rosemary enquired as she walked over to them. "And you must be Mrs Piper?"

"Call me Jen, please," Jen said, politely.

"Lovely to meet you," Rosemary replied.

"I can imagine," Jen riposted, and Rosemary's eyes narrowed.

David found himself wishing he were somewhere else.

"Your husband is a very talented man," Rosemary observed.

"He's not short of ability," Jen replied, and David winced.

Rosemary, to his surprise, smiled and inclined her head in agreement.

"Your hair is wonderful, where did you have it done?"

And with that the two women fell to discussing fashion as if they were old acquaintances.

David shook his head in bewilderment and motioned for another glass of champagne at which point, catching sight of another familiar figure, the bottom dropped out again.

Marjorie Barrett strolled up on the arm of a very distinguished looking gentleman.

David briefly considered shouting 'Fire!' and jumping through the nearest window.

"David!" Em said, at which point, both Jen and Rosemary stopped their conversation and turned to look at the newcomer. And then at each other.

"Marjorie," he said weakly. "May I introduce my wife, Jennifer and ..."

"Rosemary Ogilvie. We know each other," Em cut in. "This is Colonel Harris. He kindly agreed to escort me this evening."

"Nonsense," boomed the Colonel, "Marjorie should never be without a partner."

David caught Em's eye, and a little shared pain slipped between them.

Jen watched this exchange unhappily. Rosemary watched Jen and then bent to say something in her ear. Jen straightened and looked ... less unhappy.

Now what was going on? He had told Jen about these women so she knew what happened between them but there was no way he was going to tell her how it had taken every ounce of his will to walk away from Em or how he had come to rather appreciate the slinky Rosemary Ogilvie. Or had she perhaps worked some of that out for herself?

Rosemary and Em were speaking, and David realised he had come in at the end of the exchange.

"I believe we understand one another," said Em, severely.

Rosemary looked at Jen and shrugged unapologetically. In turn Jen looked at David, eyebrows raised in question, and David wished for the ground to open up.

And then, to pile Ossa upon Pelion, Jane Cranshaw beamed in from some other reality, on Derek Cross' arm.

"How lovely!" she carolled, "all friends together!"

The women shrank from her; Derek of course grinned like a loon, who wouldn't?

She laid her hand on David's forearm and leaned forward to kiss him on both cheeks.

He chuckled, secretly delighted. This was a currency beyond price.

"Jane! Lovely to see you."

Jen stared, open mouthed. Em was stony faced. Only Rosemary smiled, knowing she was outclassed.

"Look after him, won't you?" Jane said seriously to the three women, and then glided away.

They looked at one another uncertainly; what did that mean?

David was ecstatic and the Colonel twinkled at him in understanding.

David leaned into Jen and inhaled deeply.

A small knowing smile curved Em's lips.

Jen inclined her head to his, almost as if they were about to emulate the courtship displays of birds.

Rosemary watched enviously.

Straightening, David opened his arms to encompass them all.

"Well then, what shall we do next?"

***