Davy's On The Road Again Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Emma and Jack pulled me aside. "Dad, she's fabulous. I love her already."

I knew Jimmy had a place in Aspen and he told me that Chuck, as well as a few others, would be staying there. I told him about the little show at the Woody Creek later and he was all for it.

All afternoon, the house filled with new celebrants, it was a great atmosphere. Cars pulled in and out. Fortunately, Amy thought of everything, including a small kitchen and waitstaff so there was really nothing for us to do but enjoy our friends. All the talk was about the upcoming tour and music, music, music. Frisbees flew around the backyard, splashes in the pool were constant, the pool table was busy and laughter seemed everywhere.

Around seven-thirty or so, we took off to the Woody Creek Tavern. All the parking spots were nearly gone when we got there and I parked Big Chocolate across the street. George was out of his mind ecstatic with the crowd in and outside. Our guests who had flown in that day seemed to scoot right over to the tavern. It was a full house and a half. We agreed to go on at eight-thirty and Amy and I moved around the place greeting our friends.

A film crew from E.T. pulled up and Danny got angry but I stepped in to make a deal. I told them that Annie Liebovitz and Vanity Fair had exclusive rights however, I would allow E.T. to film one song. I also told them that they could set up in the lobby of the Inn during the wedding and get any interviews they could wrangle. They could not however enter the ballroom as we already had a videographer and again, Vanity Fair had all the rights. Finally, I told them that if they followed my orders, Amy and I would give them five minutes. They accepted all my demands quickly, probably because they thought I would just toss them and were happy for any access. Graydon and Annie were also happy with this arrangement, especially since we had never discussed exclusivity of any kind.

Stan and Nancy showed up at eight-fifteen and both were nervous about not having a rehearsed. I told them not to worry and to just have fun as we were all going to wing it. George announced that the show was about to start and the outdoor stage/patio filled up. At eight-forty, Amy and I walked out on stage to massive applause and cheers.

"My friends, my family, and my dog. Thank you all for coming to our wedding. Tomorrow night will be a magical moment for Amy and myself and something we will never forget. We're in love and we are so glad to share it with all of you. Tonight however, we're going to get loose. I have a few new songs to play for you and at any time, if you want to join us up here, don't hold yourself back. Make sure you drink and eat or George will kill me...and...whenever I am here, I like to raise a glass in memory of Dr. Hunter Thompson. To Hunter!"

At that point, I noticed a minor commotion in the crowd. I saw Emma point her finger over someone's head.

"Oh my God, excuse me for a moment. I just got a major surprise. My daughter, Carla, is here fresh from Japan!" I walked out into the audience and hugged and squeezed her. I introduced her to Amy. I told her that I didn't think she'd make it.

"What? You think I'd miss this? Fucking twenty-two hours from Osaka so this better be good!" She got good laughter for that remark. We headed back up to the stage.

"Okay, now where was I? Angie and Andy, come here...my beautiful and handsome grandchildren...in the front...next to Sally and Santo...come on...okay...so I wrote this a few days ago and I need my best friends up here to help out...Mark O'Flannery - get your ass and your fiddle up here...I need my Best Man on autoharp...where are you, Stevie? This song is called "Domesticity", I sure hope you like it."

"...Domesticity is a roof above my head
With a sturdy wooden floor
And a solid wooden door
And a table with fresh baked bread
Made with five different types of grain
Wouldn't want for nothing anymore."

A happy home with my love at my side
My dog at my feet and I'll abide
The Good Lord willing shall provide
And they'll say I was smiling when I died.
Yes, he was grinning like a fool when he died.

Big applause and cheers, hooting and hollering. We played for nearly a forty-five minutes with Mark and Stevie, Stan and Nancy and a revolving group of singers including Graham, David and Jax, Jimmy and Linda. We sang "Mighty Fine", "Wet Yet?", "In The Key of Me (The Aspen Song)", which got a big hometown applause, "Sally Take a Ride" (which I let E.T. tape), "Talk Dirty To Me (with Linda harmonizing with Amy)" and "Big Chocolate" (which crippled Begley like you can't imagine). Buffett shooed us off the stage and took over the mic. We sat next to my kids.

"Thank you Davy and Amy. Now go have a cold brew, preferable a Landshark - plug, plug - while we entertain you. First off, I want to express my long friendship to you, Davy. You are The Man." He sang "Love and Luck."

"Better days are in the cards I feel,
Feel it in the changin’ wind I feel it when I glide,
So talk to me I’ll listen to your story,
I’ve been around enough to know That there’s more than meets the eye,
Everybody needs a little good luck charm,
A little gris gris keeps you safe from harm,
Rub yours on me, and I’ll rub mine on you,
Luckiest couple on the avenue.

With a little love and luck you will get by,
With a little love and luck we’ll take the sky,
In this mangled modern world you’ve got to try,
Try a little love and luck and you’ll get by."

"Thank you, thank you. Now I want to turn the mic over to Graham and David...and Jackson and Linda. Whatcha got?"

"Thank you, James. We want to sing a song that people seem to like but it's our wish to the bride and groom"

"I'll light the fire,
You put the flowers in the vase,
That you bought today.

Staring at the fire,
For hours and hours,
While I listen to you,
Play your love songs,
All night long for me,
Only for me.

Our house is a very, very fine house,
With two cats in the yard,
Life used to be so hard,
Now everything is easy,
'Cause of you,
And our la,la,la, la,la, la, la, la, la, la, la..."

Well into the second verse, everyone was singing along. When Graham started the third verse, he stopped singing and let the audience take over. By the time the song ended, it was a huge group sing-a-long and it garnered huge cheers and applause. In fact, there was so much noise that two police cruisers pulled up to investigate. George served them some food and they stood off to the side and watched the show.

Linda took the mic next. "I spoke to Jimmy and Laura Webb this week. They're in Italy and couldn't make it here but they send their love. I have a song that Jimmy wrote that I'd like to sing." She turned to Mark and he nodded, he whispered to Stan, Nancy, Stevie and Van Dyke who was now on the keyboards.

"I bruise you, you bruise me,
We both bruise too easily, too easily to let it show,
I love you and that's all I know.

All my plans had fallen through,
All my plans depend on you, depend on you to help them grow,
I love you and that's all I know.

But the ending always comes at last,
Endings always come too fast,
They come too fast
But they pass too slow,
I love you, and that's all I know.
That's all I know, that's all I know."

My God, was that gorgeous! What pipes she has. The audience responded in kind. Linda called for Jackson.

"I see a friend of ours has just arrived. Bob, you want to do a song? Come on up." Dylan walked through the crowd and stopped to hug us.

"Yeah, I got one...I've bumped into Davy Harper many times over the years. From being next to each other in recording studios to once on the movie set of "The Missouri Breaks" and good stuff always happens. In fact, I bumped into him at a concert a few hours after his daughter, Carla, was born...It was a thrill for me to see him all resurrected at the Food Pantry Benefit in Santa Monica. Anyway, sometimes, when I'm stuck for words, I think of how words just tumble out of Davy and my words start to flow. He's my instigator. This song happened like that. This one's for you two lovebirds...I need some help up here...Graham, David, Jackson? Who else..."

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true,
May you always do for others,
And let others do for you,
May you build a ladder to the stars,
And climb on every rung,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young...

...May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift,
May you have a strong foundation,
When the winds of changes shift,
May your heart always be joyful,
And may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young."

The crowd was hushed. Dylan can do that. The simplicity and tenderness of the song was made more powerful but the understated accompaniment. Stevie's simple arpeggiated chords and Mark's soulful plaint seemed to strengthen his words and phrasing. The singer's added another texture and David Crosby was astounding. There was a long pause before the crowd erupted in a roar. Bob nodded in thanks and left the stage. The other musicians followed. there seemed nothing more to do. I mean, who would follow that? Jackson seemed to sense the denouement and went up to the mic.

"Wow. I mean, what can I say except 'Thanks, Bob.'" He looked at me and I went up to the stage and took the mic from him.

"Thanks, Jax. And thanks to Bob, to Graham and David and Jimmy and Linda and Ed and Mark and Van Dyke and Stevie and Stan and Nancy and to my bride, my beautiful Amy. Weren't they great? Come on, give it up...Hang out a while...Does anyone know how Flaco is feeling? Or Stanley Dural?...George, can you send out another round of Landsharks - plug, plug)...Oh...I nearly forgot, I have a couple of announcements...First off, tomorrow at one, I want to cut a couple of tracks at Great Divide Studios in town. All players, singers and party animals are invited...Second announcement: I'd like you all the hear something. David Hidalgo sent this to me a couple of days ago. Los Lobos can't be here this weekend because they're playing in Houston and Dallas but they just recorded this. I'm sure that next weekend when they play Denver, we'll do 'em. The first track is a song I wrote back in 1970 when Stevie and I were scuffling. It was my first hit back in the day when hits mattered. It was written about this crazy lady down here in front...The second track is quite amazing. It called "Canasta de Pan" or "Breadbasket" in Spanish. I love it and I know you will, too. George, if you'll press 'play'?...Thanks again friends for coming out...we'll do this again tomorrow."

The music blared from the speakers and the party was back on track. Sally danced around and everyone mingled. I saw Bob talking with Danny and I went over to hug them both. I heard a deep baritone call my name and I looked over to see Shadow. We all hugged each other and they started to chat. Elon and Susan waved to me and I moved over to hug them. Before I could even say a word, Graydon and Elon were chatting. Annie was talking and snapping away, talking and snapping away like it was a natural thing. Linda and Amy were like sisters. Always big fans of his, Ricky and Adele were chatting with David. At one point, I saw Carla, Bob and Chuck shooting the breeze. Jack never left Emma's side and the children were having fun being led around by Santo. Nancy was busy asking Mark violin questions. Doctor Lou, who loves good music and has very esoteric taste was deep in conversation with Van Dyke and Jackson. I liked how my guests mingled.

One of the cops nodded to me and I walked over to shake his hand. He congratulated me and said that what Amy and I had done for the hardware store was a boon and a blessing to the town because many locals feared that their way of life was deteriorating due to creeping gentrification. I assured him that Amy and I would do all we could to prevent that and that we were just warming up. He thanked me profusely and walked off to his cruiser. Emma grabbed me and asked if she could take the kids back to the house to put them to bed. Amy, who was nearby, gave her instructions and the keys to the Ford. Before they left, Angie and Andy gave me big hugs. I told them to sleep tight because tomorrow was a big day.

I went and settled up with George. "Well, Davy, you did it again. This place was something else tonight...a very memorable night, thank you. I won't take your money, though...consider it a wedding gift, even though you're stealing my best girl."

Stevie was off to the side with Stan and Nancy. "So? Are you two ready for tomorrow night?"

"Not to worry, Davy. We have a small band made up of the best players in this area...and maybe with a few surprises, too. We also have the song ready for the procession. But, Davy...tonight was maybe the high point in my musical life...I played behind all those stars...and Bob Dylan! Somebody smack me!"

"...and I got to play with Mark O'Flannery, my fiddle God!" added Nancy.

"I feel the same way, Davy. That was too cool...way off the hook, man."

"Well, you all sounded superb. It was a thrill for all of us. Both Graham and Bob commented upon how well you guys sounded. Do you two want to join Stevie and me on the upcoming tour? The pay will be good and transportation and accomodations are covered."

"Be still my heart! Yes, yes yes!"

The party went on for another hour or so until guests began to drift off back to the Inn. Amy and I left before it was over. With Mark, Deb and Carla, we took Big Chocolate back to the house. The atmosphere in the bus was euphoric but I think Carla was starstruck. "Me and Bob Dylan talking about my book. Can you fucking imagine?" She commented that now she understood why her mother was so envious but I let the remark pass without comment.

Back at the house, we all sat around the deck and had nightcaps and the omnipresent joint (except, of course, for Carla. Only soft drinks for her. Thank you, Saint Betty Ford.) We spoke quietly as not to wake the children. Jack said that Andy was entranced by the bus and asked if I might give them a tour in the morning. Amy suggested that I take the bus up to the secret mountaintop retreat to check it out. She thought it might be good place for us to honeymoon on Monday night. I thought that was a perfect idea. We all drifted off to bed feeling great. I spooned Amy and squeezed her tight. I let my hands roam but she pushed me away telling me it was bad luck to screw the bride on the night before the wedding. I told her that once we were married, she'd better not ever hold out on me. "Never, never, never, my love," she said and we drifted off to sweet dreams.

Saturday morning came faster than my dreams could keep up with. The house was bustling early as the kitchen staff was serving breakfasts like room service. Santo was parked under the table cleaning plates and eating scraps. He didn't even notice us as we passed by. Amy and I drifted into the dining room to find Emma, Jack, Mark and Deb in a free flowing conversation. Someone asked me a question and I heard someone else day, "You know better than to talk to him before he has his morning coffee!" It doesn't get truer than that. I walked into the den where Angie and Andy were locked into the morning cartoons. I walked out onto the deck where Carla was already sucking up the rays. I watched the sun dapple the surface of the pool while I slowly sipped my coffee and waited for the caffeine rush.

Walking back into the dining room, Amy patted the chair next to her. As I sat down, I was served a cheese omelet and sausages. Emma told everyone about growing up with "Daddy's Special Cheese Eggies" which was her favorite breakfast. Carla yelled in from the deck, "Mine too!" Finally, the coffee started to work. I said something about replaying last night's party in my dreams. Mark said that he'd done the same, especially the song with Dylan. "What a presence!"

Andy came running in and sat on my knee while we worked on my eggs together. "Grampa, Mommy told me that your bus is really a 'magic bus', could you show it to me today?"

"Sure, buddy. And you know what? I'll take to a magic place on the very top of a mountain. How does that sound?"

After breakfast, George and Sarah pulled up. Amy had invited Sarah to help her and to hang out. While I gave Jack and Andy the tour, Danny and Kathy pulled in with Linda. Kathy and Linda ran into the house while I showed Andy the upper terrace which he loved. Jack liked all the green features. Elon, Susan and The Begleys pulled in next with Graydon, Annie and Laura right behind. The woman all raced into the house but Annie wanted to hang with us on our trip up to the secret house. I told her that I wouldn't allow any pictures up there but she insisted that she wanted to see the place. She turned to go into the house and asked that we let her know before we leave. Elon, Ed and I inspected the new things that Susan installed like the new water purification system, the improved dog feeding cleaner, the larger driver's module screen, the rear-view color cameras and the new electronics dome on the roof. Andy was right next to me as I checked things out.

"Andy, I have a few more things to show you. Now check this out." I pressed the expansion buttons and the slide-outs opened up. His eyes bugged out. "Now, come with me." I took him outside where I opened the storage bin and swung out the amplifier and mic mixer. "This is when I want to give a concert next to the bus." I showed him the inflatable hot tub. There was a lot of "gee" and "holee." Then I opened the awning and dropped the tent. "This is when Amy and I want some breakfast and there are lots of bugs flying around. But, Andy, I'm saving the best for last. Come with me." I showed him the enviro-shower and he wasn't impressed. "This isn't what I wanted to show you." I took him into the bedroom and I slid the TV up.

"I know about the TV, Grampa, Amy showed it to us yesterday."

"But she didn't show you this. Now sit on the bed and put your head on the pillow." I pressed the buttons to raise the head of the bed. "Cool, huh?"

"Wow, Grampa, very cool. I want to show Angie!" He ran into the house. Jack was discovering the recliner with the hidden desk when the kids ran back in. Andy showed Angie the bed and all we could hear was "cool!".

It was nearly ten now and I wanted to run up to the mountain lodge so I closed the bus up and sent Angie into the house to get Annie. A few minutes later, we were driving up the steep inclines and twisting roads to the summit. When we pulled up to the lodge, I explained about the sacred Native American grounds on the other side of the forest. I explained that Amy had deeded the land to them in perpetuity. We quietly exited the bus and I unlocked the lodge. Clarence and Rose had cleaned it and it looked and smelled wonderful. I needn't tell you how dumbstruck everyone was. I led them out onto the deck and its infinity view. This perfect day with its limitless view of far away snow-capped peaks was truly breathtaking. Below us, eagles and hawks circled. At one point, an eagle swooped up within a hundred yards of us and I watched the jaws drop.

"Now I see why you love this place so much," said Mark. "You will write some outstanding music up here."

"Now I understand why you keep this place secret," George added.

"You know," I said, "when Amy first took me up here, I was only the second person to see this. Now, with all of you, it's no secret anymore. But you'd better not tell a soul!"

Annie and Graydon were talking on the side of the deck and Graydon was shaking his head. "Annie, can you understand why I don't want this place photographed? Why would I want people looking for it or snooping around? Plus, it's a sacred place for Amy..."

1...45678...11