All Comments on 'Day of Atonement'

by trigudis

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
OvercriticalOvercriticalover 7 years ago
Something to Atone For`

Coming from the same tribe as the characters in this sad tale I can empathize with the spiritual sentiments. I cannot say the same about the moral message. I do not fully understand how people so poorly matched in emotional and intellectual capabilities ever come together. Did Sam really change that much over 6 plus years of marriage? Did Mindy change? Did she just "settle" when she met Sam:? Are we seeing a rather ordinary woman through the eyes of someone who is infatuated with her? Do you hold a marriage together because of the need for a child to have caring parents?

I personally developed a much closer relationship with my daughter after I divorced her mother so I know that part can work out. Once again you must fact the fact that sometimes you have to do what's right for yourself and hope you can make it work for the loved ones around you. There's no easy answers to these dilemmas, but this story was well enough written to make them real and generate some real thought. 4*

trigudistrigudisover 7 years agoAuthor
To Overcritical

Thanks for taking the time to read my story and comment.

Actually, lots of people stay married for the kids' sake. It's a mistake, in my view, but they do. The ending to this implies that Mindy will probably leave her husband, or at least seriously consider it. Sam didn't change, it's just that Mindy didn't see his faults until after they were married and settled in, so to speak. Ben is caught in a moral dilemma, pulled one way by his religious beliefs, the other way by his feelings for Mindy.

You might gain greater insight by reading the first story about these two ("How Is This Night Different?"). Again, thanks for your interest.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Great story/dilemma

Spiritual ideals, modern ideals and, morals vs. Happiness?

What are the limits for staying in unsatisfying marriages?

I'm sure everyone is different; has different ideas & beliefs but, if one person in the marriage is adamant and not concerned about working together it is certainly a lost cause. It is very unfortunate when children are involved; you need to think even more of how a couple can work together. Even if it comes to divorce although, remaining friends after something like infidelity makes it a little more difficult.

The Sam character in this story does not appear to be willing to work on the marriage much less himself.

But, in another aspect Mindy could've shown better judgment; separated and divorced before taking up with Ben. Or, even before marrying Sam; happens all to often anymore - people jump into marriage without thinking all the way through and, making it a lifetime commitment to each other.

What do I know; I'm just some poor schlep w/rambling thoughts that works with his wife on every detail of marriage; including exercise & pleasure. Maybe characters like Sam will learn someday and not be so egotistical & chauvinistic in their thinking. And, in today's world Mindy not getting custody of Rachel; Sam is more delusional than I first thought.

Thank you for the story; it was a great with wonderful dilemma & emotions. Would probably be too much if we had the full outcome; would Ben & Mindy have a satisfying life together?

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Nice Story and the delimina when couples disconnect, stay together for convenience

What a nice compact story that captures the delimena when one partner is not giving the other partner what they need. It's the balance between emotional and monetary support.

Frankly Mindy should have tried counseling first, Sam sounds like a classic pain in the ass, and it's easy to sense that he simply would have ignored her request, but we don't know that. Mindy looks for emotional support and pleasure outside of her marriage.

Things finally blow up, as they tend to do in front of family.

Enjoy you writing. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Why would Ben want to align himself with a lying cheating whore?

And why would Mindy want to align herself with an asshole who fucks married women? They will be asking themselves that question, one day after they have been married many years, and the typical ennui and boredom seeps into their relationship.

Neither Mindy nor Ben have the ethical and moral strength to be good marriage partners. At this point in the story they should seek counseling and determine how best to reestablish their moral and ethical credentials. Mindy and Ben need to confess to Sam and Mindy's parents and seek their forgiveness and understanding. Mindy and Sam need to discuss the reality of their relationship and determine what they can do to best serve their daughter and each other. Its not impossible that Sam too has an alternative love interest that he has not pursued, but might now that he knows he and Mindy are on borrowed time. People can correct their behavior and decide to do the right thing. It would make sense for Ben to discern and drive the above suggestions.

A well told but disturbing story of weakness and bad choices and destructive attempts to assuage pain and loneliness. I hope you write the story of them growing up and getting better.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
There is a point when togetherness is no longer possible

Sam's not listening and shows no signs of being willing to go to counseling to save their marriage - he thinks he's given Mindy all she wants. Mindy begs to differ. If both aren't able to communicate and work together for their marriage, then they no longer have one - time for divorce court. Wrt Rachel, she definitely doesn't like seeing her parents fight, and doesn't want to see her Mom cry. So then, is Rachel really the right decision for Mindy to stay married?

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

Is there a follow up to this? I'm really liking this storyline, and I'd love to see a third installment.

chytownchytownover 1 year ago

*****Good read. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usertrigudis@trigudis
Free-lance writer who enjoys reading mostly non-fiction but also Nicholas Sparks romance novels and "serious" lit (John Updike, Irwin Shaw, Philip Roth, Herman Wouk). I enjoy writing these stories because it entertains me as well as the readership. Lit is unique in that wri...