Death Falls: Jane Doe

Story Info
Another Mike Claymore mystery # 4.
100.8k words
4.74
5.8k
5
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Death Falls

MIKE CLAYMORE MYSTERY: JANE DOE

A novel by David Horton

Copyright 2000

Chapter 1:
June 26

"Did I hear the phone ringing?"

"Mmphmff fmmffh mmm."

"Marlene, did you hear the phone ringing?" Mike looks at his watch and sees it's only three am. "Huh! It must have been my imagination. Sorry, love."

"Did you say something?"

"No. Go back to sleep."

"What time is it?"

"Three am."

"Three-o-clock in the morning? What did you wake me up for? Surely you don't want more?"

"Well, since you're awake love, and you mentioned it?"

"Oh Mike! Go to sleep." He chuckles and settles down with her cuddled against him as usual, both naked as the day they were born. He kisses her ear and closes his eyes.

"Who's there?" He feels a presence.

"Don't be afraid, Michael."

Mists swirl and a figure emerges. Black eyes, soft and enchanting look into his. Dimples below high cheekbones bespeak a radiant smile and he knows that face with the long black hair.

"Momma. Where are we?"

"Take my hand, Michael. Come with me."

A dark skinned hand, sure and steady, reaches to grip his own and lead him. "Where are we going, Momma?"

"Come. Duncan is waiting for us on the other side. Come, Michael."

He sees many others being led as he, through the eerie landscape and a thought comes to him of his children, Richard, Shelly and Jan. He resists her pull and says, "But Momma, my children need me."

The scene starts to shift and she pulls away from him calling, "Michael, come Michael." He sees her hand still holding his but his hand is small, like a child.

"Momma! Momma!" He calls to the receding figure as it becomes shrouded and dim. "Momma! Momma!" He calls her by name, "Mother Mary! Wait for me! Momma! Momma!"

"Michael! Michael, wake up! Are you okay?"

In the light of the bedside lamp he sees his wife's face and he's confused, then murmurs, "Sorry, my love. I must have been dreaming."

"More like a nightmare, I'd say. You were calling out for your mother. What did you dream?"

Meanwhile many thousands of miles away a slim, heavy breasted young mother is nursing her babies. Two are at her breast while the third sleeps on in its cradle. Born in February, they are only four months old. Her husband, Jeff Hart, a thriving businessman climbing the corporate ladder in the world of high finance, assists her by helping support the second child. The one that the mother, Nina Hart, cradles is Anne Claymore-Hart and the other her husband supports on a pillow so it can suck from her other breast is Cathy Claymore-Hart. They're identical twins and their brother, who is still in his cradle; is half of another set of identical twins. He is Michael Claymore-Hart, but his identical twin did not survive. They are the biological offspring of Nina Hart and Michael Claymore, a result of an affair between them instigated by an affair between their mates. Once again Nina is pregnant by the same man as a result of a recent visit by the Harts of Markham, Ontario, Canada with the Claymores of Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada.

Nina whispers to Jeff; "Don't wake Michael yet. Cathy is done but her diaper needs changing. Can you take her?"

"Ah ha! I'll take care of her, but it looks like Michael's already awake. He's being a good boy this morning unless he's still half asleep. Anyway, his eyes are open. Good morning, Michael." He carries Cathy to the foot of the bed and lays her on a baby blanket to change her. He washes her up from a washbasin and pats her dry. Nina closes her eyes and relaxes for a few minutes, waiting for Michael. She distantly hears Jeff put Cathy in her cradle then hears his sharp intake of breath and his bustling around. Sleepily she checks on Anne then looks for Jeff. He's not in the bedroom.

"Jeff, what are you doing? I'm waiting for Michael."

A strangled cry is heard from the kitchen and Jeff calls in a strained voice, "You finish Anne up, dear. I'll be right there in a minute." She hears his voice go on in a very quiet manner.

"Are you on the phone? Who are you calling this time of the morning?"

Jeff comes to the bedroom door and he is shaking visibly. "I have one more call to make. You just go ahead with Anne, dear." He walks away out of sight. He goes to the front door and turns on the outside light. He hears the siren before he sees the flashing lights. He runs out to meet the first paramedic.

"My wife is pregnant and she doesn't know yet about the baby. Can you give her something to knock her out?"

"I can give her a sedative that will make her groggy. That's the best I can do. Where's the baby?"

As they rush inside they hear Nina, "Jeff! Jeff! Where are you? Jeff!"

Jeff calls, "I'm coming, dear. I'll be right there. Are you done with Anne?"

"Yes. Will you take...? What are you men doing here? Jeff, what's going on? What are you doing? Leave my baby alone!"

"The baby is very sick. We're taking it to the hospital. I'm giving you a needle to calm you down. Please hold your arm still, Ma'am. Can you help me here, sir?"

Jeff says, "Calm down, honey. They have to take Michael to the hospital right away. We'll follow them. Let the man give you a shot and we'll get the girls around so we can follow them."

Nina looks confused but hesitates long enough for the medic to give her a needle. Near the front door she hears two of the attendants saying something she can hardly hear but one word sticks in her mind and she screams. The word she hears is SIDS.

"MICHAEL!!" She goes crazy flailing her arms and trying to get to her baby. It's too late! Through a fog she hears the sirens receding and sees her husband bundling up the girls in their car seats. She looks around and realizes she's standing outside by the car watching Jeff load up the children. He only has two. "Where's Michael? We can't go without Michael, Jeff."

She feels sick and grips the car door. She uses sheer will power to straighten up and head back into the house. Jeff calls, "Nina! I have the baby's here. Come on, honey. We have to go."

She screams, "MICHAEL!" and goes in the door. She moves as in a dream and finds herself in the bedroom. Michael's cradle is empty. She feels panicky. She looks under the bed and almost passes out. She shakes her head and tries to think. Staring all around she shakes and hears Jeff calling for her.

She runs to the kitchen and picks up the phone. Far away she can hear the rings and then she hears his voice.

In Abbotsford, B.C., Mike Claymore is trying to explain his nightmare to his wife, Marlene.

"It was my mother and she had me by the hand but my hand was so small, tiny even, and she was disappearing from my vision in the mist. I guess that was when I called out in my sleep. It was a scary dream but a pleasant one at the same time, since it was Mom. I don't recall ever dreaming about her since she died when I was only fifteen. I don't think I'll ever get back to sleep and its only three forty five. Damn!"

"Go take a hot shower and you'll fall off to sleep as soon as you get back in..." The phone rings.

Mike and Marlene stare at it. Mike extends a shaking hand and picks it up. Before he can speak he hears a hysterical voice calling his name. "Michael!" He shudders and tries to identify the familiar voice.

"Nina? Nina! What's wrong love? Nina?"

"Michael! Michael's gone!" She cries and calls suddenly, "MICHAEL!" Marlene can hear her on the other side of the bed and asks Mike what is wrong.
"I don't know. It's Nina," then into the phone, "Nina, my itty bitty pretty love, what's happened?"

The phone is silent for a few seconds then, "Mike? I can't find Michael. Oh Mike, please come and help me. I can't find our baby. Please, Mike." She screams again, "MICHAEL!"

Mike hears a man's voice in the background, "...on the phone, Nina?" He comes on the line, "Hello. Who is it?"

"Jeff, it's Mike. What's going on? What's wrong with Nina?"

"Oh, it's you. Just a moment." He leaves the phone and Mike can hear him talking to Nina. He comes back on the line, "I can't talk now, Mike. I have to get her to the hospital. She's in shock." He speaks in a lower voice. "I'm awfully sorry to say this but Michael's died. The medics say its SIDS. Nina's hysterical and I have to get her to the hospital for sedation. Good night." He hangs up.

Mike sits staring at the phone. Marlene bites her lip and says, "Something's wrong? Oh Mike, it's one of the babies? What is it, Mike?"

"Jeff says Michael has died and I knew it before he said it. Nina's hysterical and he's rushing her to the hospital for shock." He hangs up the phone and slouches down in the bed.

Marlene pushes back the covers and gets up. "I'll start packing. I'll never go back to sleep tonight." Mike just stares at her. She says, "What ever happened to him?"

Mike turns a vacant gaze her way. He mumbles, "SIDS."

"Did it just happen?"

"She called. I don't know if she even realized she was calling us. She just said she couldn't find Michael and kept screaming his name."

"I heard her."

"Jeff came on the line and said he was taking her to the hospital for shock. He said Michael was dead." A single tear rolls down his cheek.

"I'll call for reservations on the early morning flight to T.O. (Toronto). You better call CPX and I'll get Trudy as soon as it's light out". Mike drives truck for CPX (Canadian Pacific Express and Transport) out of their Pacific Terminal in POCO (Port Coquitlam) on Kingsway. He drives a blue Kenworth with built in sleeper and takes intermediate haulage throughout B.C., Alberta and Saskatchewan. CPX also hires local drivers for the Fraser Valley deliveries and long-haul drivers for cross Canada haulage. Out of deference to his wife and family he avoids the long hauls so he can spend more time at home.

When he isn't driving truck, he does security work; based on the years of experience he has had with the Canadian Penitentiary Service (CPS). This work has led him into three murder investigations to date and he is developing a reputation as a private investigator. His partner in the security business, Trudy Millicent Garneau (nee Black) is an ex truckstop waitress separated from her military husband. She often shares more than the business with him, including her bed and has been recognized by his wife as his mistress, or sister wife of sorts. She is now eight months along to having his child. She often baby-sits for them so they can get away together.

Mike tries to go through the motions of helping her pack, but Marlene finally says, "Go and call CPX. I can finish this. It's nearly five so I guess you could call Trudy after you call CPX."

Mike goes downstairs and puts on a pot of coffee. He picks up the phone and hears Marlene talking with the flight desk at Westjet. He listens for a moment then gently puts down the receiver. He watches the coffee finish and pours a cup, then picks up the phone again. He hears the dial tone and punches in the number for the CPX dispatch office. He hears a familiar voice. "Good morning, Jerry. It's Mike."

"Good morning, Mike. I though that was your voice. Haven't got anything for you today but I might have one out to Sicamous tomorrow night."

"That's what I'm calling about. Can you drop me from the line until I can get back to you? We've suffered a death in the family and I'm flying out this morning to Ontario for the funeral and to console the remaining family members. I don't know when I'll be back but it shouldn't be more than a week."

"Oh! I'm sorry to hear that, Mike. Was it a close relative?"

"My son."

"Oh God, Mike! Take all the time you need. We'll see you when you get back. I'm so very sorry, my friend."

"Thanks, Jerry. See you when I get back."

Mike sips his coffee and looks at his watch. He dials Trudy's number. Her sleepy voice comes on the line, "Hello."

"Trudy?"

"Mike! Is that you? Are you here outside my window with your cell phone?" She giggles. "Come on in. The bed's nice and warm and so am I."

"No, I'm calling from home, my love. I have some rather sad news and I need your help."

She perks right up, "What's wrong, darling?"

"I got a call this morning from T.O. Michael has died of SIDS. I need..."

"Michael! Oh God, don't say that! Not Michael! He was so much like you. You must be in agony and Nina must be crazy with grief. What can I do to help?"

"I need you to baby-sit while we fly down. We're on a morning flight today with Westjet. Can you do it?"

"I'll be there within an hour. Don't worry; I'll look after things while you're away. Are you okay?"

"I think so. I know so! I have to be! Nina's going to need me! Don't you go pushing yourself too much getting here. I'll make sure the kids understand to give you a hand as often as they can. How are you feeling?"

"About twelve month's pregnant; otherwise, not too bad. See you in an hour. I love you."

"See you, my love."

Marlene comes down the stairs in a robe. "Did you call Trudy?"

"I just talked with her. She's on her way down. Do you want coffee or milk?"

"I better have milk. I'll probably have coffee on the plane." Marlene is close to three month's pregnant so she is watching her caffeine intake. "Thank God my morning sickness has stopped last week. I'm still having the occasional light headed spell and with these giant boobs of mine, I almost lose my balance."

"They're quite a bit larger this time. I wonder if that's because you're older."

"I'm not that old!"

"You're nearly thirty now, dear."

"That's old? Remember, you're a year older."

"Right. What time's the flight?"

"Seven. That puts us in Toronto at four this afternoon, their time. It's a direct flight with one stop in Calgary. We better get the kids up early."

"Sit with me for a few minutes." She sits next to him.

Quietly she says as she sips her milk, "He was your other son, wasn't he? I'll try to have a son for you." Mike's expression never changes but she knows she's hit the mark.

"I think my mother was trying to tell me that he was destined to cross over early. She was a shaman in more ways than the regular shaman in our tribe. Among the six nations of the Iroquois, we Mohawks have the most liberal policies concerning women who marry white men, but even with us they are usually ostracized. Not so in the case of my mother. She married my father, a Scotsman, and yet was still regarded highly with a respect afforded a senior clans woman. To all she was still Mary Morris, 'she who waits', although by law she was Mary Claymore or Mrs. Duncan Claymore. It was because of their respect for her that she was afforded a place in the Mohawk cemetery in Brantford, Ontario beside my father."

"I wish I had been given the chance to meet her. I think I would have liked her very much."

"In many ways, in your Celtic ways, you remind me of her. That was probably one of the reasons I fell in love with you so quickly. That and the fact you were part nympho." He grins.

She swats his shoulder. Mike bows his head in silence at the table. Marlene rubs tears from her eyes with her hands and says nothing. They stay this way for nearly fifteen minutes, then Mike stirs and says, "I guess we better get the kids up."

Marlene nods and goes to the stairway. When she checks she finds Richard awake. "What's going on, Mom?"

"We got some bad news in the night. Your half brother Michael has died son. Sometimes that happens for no real reason. They call it Sudden Infant Death Syndrome or SIDS for short. Your Aunt Nina called and she is very sad. Dad and I are going down to Toronto to be with her for a little while, maybe a week."

"Little Michael? Why?"

"The doctors say it has something to do with a nervous reaction that causes the heart to fall out of proper rhythm and it just stops. It only happens very rarely and only to babies in the first year or two of their lives."

"Can I go with you?"

"I don't think that would be a good idea. You still have another week of school and it will just be a bunch of adults down there. You stay home and we won't be too long."

"Dad promised I could go with you the next time you went down to Ontario so he could show me the Six Nations and I could meet his family."

"I keep forgetting you're eleven now. Soon you'll be a man. You'll have to ask your Dad."

She goes on and gets the girls up. Shelly and Jan want to know how come she is getting them up so early so she has to sit down with them and explain in a way they can understand. Shelly is turning nine next month on the twenty-first and Janet will be eight in August. They promise to get dressed and be right down. Marlene returns to the kitchen. Mike is talking with Richard.

He looks at Marlene and says, "I guess you better pack this guy a suitcase, too. Suppose we can get him on the flight?"

"I'll call the airline. Come on, Rick, let's see what you want to take with you." They head back upstairs. Before long Trudy arrives and takes Mike's face into her hands as he bends down to kiss her. Her eyes are all puckered and red from crying.

"I came as fast as I could, darling. You poor man, what you must be going through. Hurry down there and try to console that girl. I imagine she needs a steadying hand right now. Don't you worry about a thing back here. I'll look after everything."

"I know you will, Trudy. I know I can count on you. By the way, Rick is going with us so you will only have the two girls."

Shelly and Jan enter the room and Shelly says, "Daddy, Mommy told us about the baby and we're real sorry. We'll be real good girls for mama Trudy."

Jan adds, "And we'll help her every night when we get home from school." Marlene comes in and nods at Trudy.

"Coffee's on if you want a cup."

"No. Maybe later." She gets out of her rain jacket and goes to hang it up.

To Mike, "I called the airline. He's booked with us."

"Good. I did promise him when we made our sweat lodge together I would take him down to meet his native relations next time we went down to Ontario. I try to always keep my word."

Mike starts loading the luggage and soon Richard is giving him a hand. When everything is loaded he stops to give Trudy another kiss and tells her to get lots of rest. She only has a few weeks left until her baby will be born. She laughs and says, "I know and do my Kegel exercises. Hurry back, coach. I don't want to go in there without you."

"I will. You hang in there."

Marlene hugs her and says, "Thanks again for being there again. It seems we are always calling on you. Do like Mike says. Get lots of rest. You know the rest."

Trudy tries to throw an arm around Richard's neck and exclaims. "You're getting taller every time I see you."

"I thought you were getting shorter."

"Be careful now. I can still take you across my knee." They all laugh and head out to the car. They are taking the Buick station wagon that Mike's wife usually drives. He won't take a chance on leaving his '69 Candy Apple Red Mustang Convertible in the parking lot for a week at the airport.

They arrive at the airport with little time to spare. By the time Mike is back from parking the car in a storage spot they are boarding, and he has to hurry and put their luggage through. They settle back to enjoy the flight as best they can. It's a 737 so they have some comfort and Marlene promptly goes to sleep. Mike sits in brooding silence staring out the window while flying fascinates Richard. It's his first trip by plane so he bugs the stewardess with questions and wanders the plane when he's not staring out the windows or watching the movie.

He makes friends with other passengers easily and finds another girl about his age to finally settle down with in animated conversation. When they let down in Calgary, he leaves the plane with her and they almost miss getting back on board before departure. The girl's aunt notices she is missing and alerts the stewardess, who has an announcement made for them by name. They come running back to the plane. Mike frowns at Richard but Marlene says, "Like father, like son."