Deathless Reign: Ch. 12

Story Info
The calm before the coming storm. ( A transitional chapter).
1.2k words
4.65
943
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Deathless Reign

Chapter 12

By Noobwriter96

"I'd say at least a hundred, from the amount of wood their burning. Maybe more," Blanche's gaze was as hard as stone as she and Reign surveyed the thick plumes of smoke rising out towards the north. A heavy weight gripped her heart as those dark pillars rose through the stark grey clouds and beyond. Judging from the distance, it was a league away at the most. The mere sight of it and the possibility of a threat compounding one after the other made Blanche want to call for quits. She was still unsure of informing the rest of the village but kept her mouth shut as it was still a great unknown, whether they be friend or foe. Recent history and happenings in the region tends to lean to the former rather than the latter these days.

"I haven't risked ordering my hunters to scout," she spoke, looking to Reign, leaving the remaining parts unsaid. To Blanche, they were not simply subordinates to her, they were her neighbors and friends. The closest thing she had to family. She might as well had sent them to their deaths if she had done so. Why send dear friends to their possible demise when you can send an unkillable beast with the strength of twenty men? Still, she was ashamed to rely once more on the tortured soul of Reign.

Though his visage was stoic, deep inside he was quite human, Blanche realized.

Reign guessed her reasoning and logically concluded on what she left unspoken. He found no fault nor resentment to the strained woman. He has an inkling as to why Blanche had 'helped' him just the other day. If anything, he felt quite good to be of use and spare others from risk of peril.

"So, you want me to see who they are?" He looked back towards the direction of the village, if he left as it is now, then it would be left defenseless. Only a quarter of the wall was all that remains to be raised. Maybe a day or two would be needed to finally secure the village, that no threat may simply barge in from all directions, "Alright but only as soon as I finish setting upon the wall."

"Of course, of course." Blanche agreed, breathing more easily, hearing Reign's quick reply to her request.

They walked back in silence, the crunch of the dirt beneath their soles and the lonesome gust of wind that flitted through the bare trees. The walk had consisted of several uphill trek and some distance deep in the northern part of the forest. Fortunately, this made it so that the plumes of smoke in the north wasn't visible from the village. Blanche and her hunters only discovered it by accident after spotting a pheasant they chased deeper into the woods. For a great while then, the hunters all but stood and watched as the great smoke towards the north simply rose in the sky.

Smoke meant fire and fire meant people. A great many people, from the thickness of the plumes alone and how far they stretched upwards to the skies.

The woods were tranquil as Reign and Blanche made their way back to the village. No malicious aura or dread permeated from the environs, almost akin to the days of olde, were the dead barely stirred from their earthly slumber and crops would grow aplenty. If Blanche didn't know better, it might as well have been a leisurely stroll in the woods.

Reign claimed that he had destroyed any undead he could find near the surrounding vicinity on that fateful day they first met, when those necromancers called upon the horde on the unsuspecting village.

They continued their walk in silence, none speaking to the other.

To Blanche, there was nothing out of the ordinary.

To Reign, there was an agitation that gnawed on his mind.

Reign did not know how to feel about Blanche. There was that sensation one could only feel when deep inside during the throes of lovemaking. It was strange to talk about something to someone who just slept with. Especially they didn't do much sleeping with the first place. Reign was awkward around and didn't know how to proceed. Words half-forming at the gates of his throats only to die halfway through his lips.

Blanche acted as if nothing happened. Reign didn't know how to proceed such as this. Should he say something? About where they stood with one another? His mouth would open halfway only to have him shut up, not knowing what to say to her even.

"You seem like you want to talk about something?" Blanche spoke first, breaking the silence.

"Yeah......I-I wish to ask...on that day," he didn't need to elaborate any further.

She only gave her a shrug, "What is there to think about? It was just that.... just sex." The way she said it as if it was no different than a household chore. "It felt...nice. There's no need to complicate it further."

"Sorry, I was never really...involved with anyone. Even back when I was alive," Reign would have rather charged headlong into an army rather than deal with.... whatever he has with Blanche.....and Ayleth. At the very least fighting was simple than sorting out the intricacies of other people's emotions.

"Really? No one?" There was a peculiar look on Blanche as her eyes gazed at Reign from the side as they walked. As if measuring him from top to bottom.

"None. I tend to keep to myself most of the time." As far as he had remembered he had been like that. Reserved. Quiet. He did not hate people, only that he preferred to be in his own company. But every now and then he'd find himself to be in a midst of people, not the center of attention but rather just lingering in the background and that was enough for him to be content. He too gets lonely from time to time.

"Look, if you have any more troubles, just come to me. I need to let off some steam too. It's been too long for my liking and who knows when would the day come should we kick the proverbial bucket. No need to muddle it with emotions," Blanche laid it out without looking him in the eye, her tone was the no nonsense air of a merchant closing in on a transaction.

"You're a decent man, Reign. Not without problems but you do good by the village. And if it means to lay on my back and spread my legs for you in exchange for the safety of the people I care about, I don't mind," with Blanche's final argument, Reign was put more at ease as they came close to the village.

Blanche's intuition was correct. Though outward he may seem cold and stoic, there was indeed a warm soul inside. He was dependable and resilient but that was the extent of her emotions towards him. Everyone has a need for their own devices. To satisfy themselves, whether they know it or not. It's not evil nor malicious. It was only human nature.

As Reign returned to his work with a peaceful mind, Blanche cast about the outer walls, clambering to the topmost height and surveying the village. With a deep breathe, she took notice of the more relaxed mannerisms of her people now that Reign's great wall was near its completion. Nights were far more peaceful and they could sleep more soundly.

She cast one last look to the north, eager to savor this brief moment of peace, before any more storms come barging in from the horizon. But that's a problem for another day.