Did You Win

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Detective Sanders released Ross and put Jackson off by rolling to his side. He looked angrily at me and John. Nothing like the daggers Ross's eyes bore into mine. Ross brushed off his sleaves and turned and looked at Jax. He gave him a big hug. A kiss followed by moments of blinking. Jax was blinking back.

After sending Jax back towards me and our house, he directed his comments towards Detective Sanders, John, the Judge and myself, "I don't know what or why this assault just happened, but you are all captured on the camper's camera. This is another thing I will have to discuss with my lawyer." Then he turned and went back inside the van. Closed the door and scooter over to the driver's seat.

I broke from my momentary daze, "Wait Ross. This is all just a big mis...." and he drove off before I could finish.

Detective Sanders turned toward John and with a determined voice, "You have put my career in jeopardy. First with the unprofessional and hasty police chase and now with this shit show that just happened. You better make this go away."

Judge Reynolds came up to John and poked his finger into John's chest, "I did not sign up for this," then abruptly walked away.

While watching Sanders and Reynolds storm away, I approached John while hugging Jax to my side, "Please help me."

"Don't worry, I will take care of all of this and you."

I had another disturbing thought and quickly ran back to the bedroom. In my anxiety towards Jackson's assumed kidnapping, I had not checked closely on Ross's possessions. Most of his clothes and things were still there, but then I thought back to him leaving clothing behind at John's cottage. I raced to the mud room. Most of his work clothes were missing and on the freezer was a sheet of paper and his ring. There was just one word written--Divorce. I screamed. John and Jax came into the room, "He's left me." I broke down and wailed.

John came over to my side and comforted me. While rubbing my back, "It will be okay."

"He's going to divorce me. I don't want a divorce. You have to help me."

"I will take care of everything. You won't get divorced. Dry your tears and spend time with your son. I will return tomorrow with a good plan. Don't worry. You are in the driver's seat."

I tried to check myself for Jax's sake. After wiping my cheeks with one of Ross's old shirts, I straightened. "Okay." I could see the worry on Jax's face and I had to put myself in mother mode, "It will be okay Jax." I crumpled the paper so he couldn't see it. "Your dad will be back soon. Him and I are just having a little misunderstanding. I'm sorry I mentioned divorce. We will work this out. We will be a big happy family in no time. Now let me make you a nice dinner."

"Okay. Dad got me a new phone, mom. It has all the latest features," he proudly showed. His interest in his new phone seemed to way lay any fear he might have had concerning our family dynamic.

That explained the absence of his old phone. "That's nice, dear. Now go and wash up. I will have dinner ready in a half hour." I hugged him and pushed him off towards the bathroom.

I spent quality time with Jax that evening, even while he had his head mostly buried in his new phone. I was so relieved to have him home.

When Jax was in bed I called Ross. He didn't answer. I called back several times and later left a message indicating how sorry I was and how much I loved him. And, I didn't want a divorce. I also texted him that same message. All to no reply.

The next morning

John came over shortly after Jax went to school. He was explaining to me, "We should go for the jugular. Pre-empt Ross's lawyer. We will file for divorce first."

"What? I don't want a divorce."

"You won't get divorced. We are just pressuring him. We will ask for everything. 100 % of his assets and no visitation rights with Jackson. Add child support and alimony and it will cripple him. He will want to stay married. Where can we quickly serve him?"

"He probably returned the camper to his parent's house. He is likely staying there. But isn't this all too harsh? I make more money than him."

"That's the point. We want to put pressure on him before he has time to get a lawyer. There will be some give and take. We want Ross to realize he is better off staying married to you."

"I hope you are right."

"Trust me. Now there is another wrinkle we have to deal with. Yesterday's turn of events puts Detective Sanders, Judge Reynolds, myself, and you in jeopardy. He may have some legal and civil claims against you."

"Me, I was just thinking about getting my son back."

"Yes, but we may have skirted legal procedure from yesterday's event. We all could be liable."

"What did I do wrong. I know I overreacted but I was fraught with fear."

"Well he may charge you with assault, amongst other things. As your lawyer, I have to tell you that there is a chance you could even go to jail. Highly unlikely, but still a possibility."

"I can't let that happen. Help me John."

"Well, I have a plan. You will charge Ross with spousal abuse."

"Ross has never been abusive. He's the opposite. I wish he was more like you."

"The assault charge will help make him compliant. We will make Ross bend to our ways, and also insure the other legal problems go away. Ms. Wilson, our family law specialist, will submit our divorce petition. If he gives in to all our demands and joins our lifestyle, then we can drop the charges and the divorce proceedings." John turned to leave, but quickly spun and cold cocked me in my right eye.

"What the fuck John!" I said as I picked myself off the floor.

He bent down to help me up, "Sorry Dora, but we have to make it look realistic."

My eye was quickly closing and started to turn a light shade of purple. I put a bag of frozen peas against it. The eye was throbbing.

"Let me see your eye. Does it hurt?" I nodded. He carried on, "It looks perfect for our charges against Ross. I apologize again, but it had to be done."

John drove me to precinct 94. We saw an Officer Jenkins. The charges were made out. An arrest warrant was issued against Ross with Judge Reynolds also signing off on a restraining order against him. He could not come within 100 yards of Jackson and me, or have direct contact.

Later that same day

"Okay Dora we will ask for 100 % of the assets, and a large chunk of his wages. We need to add a dollar amount for alimony and child support. How much does he make a week?"

"Well, you know he works a great deal of overtime. So about $1,000 a week. But I make a little more. How can we ask for alimony?"

"This is about leverage. We want him to buckle. His lawyer will counter with a ridiculous offer on the low end, but we will demand that he pays through the teeth. So let's say $ 2,500 a month alimony and $ 1,000 a month for child support."

"Now the killer. You get full custody. Ross get's no visitation rights. This is the lynch pin in making him crumble."

"He will hate me more than he already does."

"But he will have no choice but to stay married to you. Grace will convince him it will be much better to have sex with her, and join us. Also, don't forget, while his lawyer will likely be much cheaper than our firm, their fees will still further drain his resources. He will have no choice but to stay married to you."

The next day

John told me that Ross must be at work, and we will have him served there. "We want to get the timing between serving the divorce and arrest correct to maximize the effectiveness."

Two days later

Officer Jenkins and Detective Sanders came to my work. They looked angry and glum. Sanders spoke first, "Dora, we want you to drop the assault charge against your husband."

"Why? Did John ask you to do that?"

"No, we are going to see him next. This has all blown out of proportion. We are all in jeopardy of serious consequences, both legally and professionally."

"I don't understand. John has this all worked out, right?"

"Follow me," Sanders grunted.

We went to the elevator and went to the fourth floor and then down to John's office. Angry voices could be heard though the glass wall. Sanders opened the door without knocking. Judge Reynolds was berating John in mid sentence then stopped and waited for us to close the door.

The judge turned back to John, "Time to clean up your mess."

"Okay, okay. I have some other ideas."

"No, you don't understand. You will clean this up. Now!"

"We will have to put more pressure on her husband."

"That is all too late. You will have to pay before this blows up any further."

"We have done this before with other husbands and it has always worked out. Are you just mad that you didn't get your turn with her?" pointing at me.

This got my dander up, "What. Am I just a sex toy for you all?"

"Shut up, slut," Judge Reynolds snarled. Turning back to John, "Time to fall on your sword and your whore has to drop the spousal assault charge."

"Why?" John said, echoing my thoughts.

"Jenkins went to his work to arrest him. Mr. Valory has been off work for three days. The fucker was 800 miles away in a Georgia hospital. You have us all in a vulnerable position. Time for you to fall on your sword and end this before I end it for you," Reynolds spat at John.

"Wait, Ross is at a Georgia hospital?" I shouted to get some recognition and answers. Did John hurt Ross?

"That car we stopped in Georgia was driven by Mr. Valory, senior. His father went into cardiac arrest." I gasped. Turning back towards John, he demanded, "This shit show ends now! You end this now!"

Oh no. His dad had a heart attack. How much worse could this get. The next day I would find out.

The next day at work

John had resigned. He was moving to the west coast. The firm would wait to see this drama all play out, before giving John any partnership value. Some of his assets were protected if Ross were to sue. Most of his property was in Grace's name.

I was pressured to withdraw my spousal assault claim. His partners, the police officers and Judge Reynolds were distancing themselves from John. I ended up being collateral damage. The other partners in the firm were quick to 'fire' me, although they offered to 'lay me off' with positive references. This win/win went to not having a husband, a job, or even a lover. This was a lose/lose. Perhaps a so-so lose about the lover.

A little later

Now I had to work on my marriage. However something else happened when my divorce petition was served to Ross when he returned. I had forgotten about Ms. Wilson in all this mess. She went ahead and served Ross when he returned--and he signed it. Not just signed being served, but apparently quickly signed the divorce petition and Ms. Wilson witnessed it. This couldn't get any worse. It could. Ms. Wilson then told me she wasn't going to represent me going forward.

I now needed a new lawyer. This took a few days. We tried to quash the divorce but Judge Reynolds wanted to burn me and wouldn't allow it. And I couldn't get ahold of Ross. I sent him so many messages telling him and his lawyer that I didn't want a divorce. Apparently, he did. He never responded to anything I did or tried to contact me.

I would follow him but he would just run away from me. I would wait at his car after work. He would just turn around and run off. I tried to chase but I had worn 4" sexy heels to entice him and had no hope of catching him.

Another embarrassing situation happened when I followed him to a shopping mall. I came up from behind and hooked a hand cuff around his wrist. The other end was attached to mine. I was proud that he would now have to talk to me. "Ross I want to talk about the divorce. I don't want......." was all I got out. Being twice my size he easily dragged/pulled me along towards mall security.

"What's going on?" the rotund mall cop asked. "You better release her. We don't go for this sort of thing."

"She has the only key," Ross harrumphed. I flustered to reach the key. Embarrassingly, I freed him. He was gone in a flash.

It was another month before I saw him again.

Going to the bar where his roofing buddies frequented, he was there with his back to me. I approached the table and stood behind his chair. I tapped him on the shoulder, "Ross I want to talk to you, please." I then spread my feet in a defensive stance to block him in. Surprisingly he didn't jump but stayed drinking his beer.

He looked to his fellow roofers and said, "You are all my witnesses that she approached me." They nodded.

"Please, Ross can we talk?" Looking at his mates, "Can you excuse us, guys?"

They started to get up, but Ross held his hand out for them to stay, "You guys stay. This is all a ruse for her to get me arrested again."

"What? No, Ross that was all a big mistake. John is long gone. I am trying to get the restraining order removed. Please, I love you." I tried to move slightly so I could see his face, but he wouldn't look at me.

Ross looked at a person to his right who I recognized as deaf Jim from our party. Ross started moving his lips without any sound coming out. Jim then staged a few hand gestures--signing. The rest of the table broke out in laughter.

Joe, who I had seen the odd time before said, "Jim is deaf." I knew that. "He is Ross's best friend because he won't speak out against him." This brought more laughter. Nothing worse than a tired joke at my expense. "Jim says that Ross said you were probably recording this."

"What, no. I just want to talk to my husband."

Ross mouthed something else to Jim. Then Jim had more hand movements. Everyone roared again. Joe looked at me from head to toe, "You might be wearing a wire. He invited Jim to pat you down."

"I just want this divorce to go away. I love you and Jax and I want you to come home. Please."

Ross mouthed something else. Jim signed again. Everyone else roared. Joe was actually slapping his knee, "Jim said he gets first dibs fucking you. Apparently you like something more on the side."

I slinked out the door. He was evading me at every turn. I realized that he never once ever talked to me. He wouldn't even glance my way.

Jackson after Ross's absence

After spending months trying to reconcile with Ross, I was still dealing with Jax as a single parent. I had realized that not only was Ross not talking to me, but Jax was now only giving me one word answers, if anything at all.

"How was your day at school?"

"Fine."

"Are you liking your teachers?"

"Yes."

"Are there any pretty girls that you like?"

"No."

And so on, until I called Jax down to the living room. "This avoidance has to stop young man. I need you to talk to me. You know even though your dad and I are divorced we still love you very much. I think my legal issues have been cleared up and I believe your dad and I will get back together. He has called me to be present at his lawyer's office tomorrow. Did you know that?"

"You are going to see dad, tomorrow? Tell him I miss him so much."

"He knows that son. But I will tell him. Things will be back to normal soon."

"I hope so mom." He said with a great big hug. There were a few tears in his eyes. With all this mess, I had forgotten how much this has damaged Jax.

"Can I send him a note, asking him to come back. Can you give it to him, please?"

"Of course"

The next day

I was extremely nervous as I entered Noona's (his lawyer) office on time. I was dressed in a business-sexy outfit and directed to the conference room. Offered something to drink, "Water, please."

Noona entered and said, "I need you to sign this waiver releasing my client from the restraining order for the duration of this meeting."

Pushing the paper towards me, I quickly signed, "I don't even want this Restraining Order. This is something we need to remove."

She looked over my signature and grunted, "We will see. Ross will be here shortly."

Five minutes later Ross entered. He looked so different. He was thinner and had worry lines down from his eyes that I hadn't seen before. Had it only been 90 days since my stupidity about opening up our marriage. I jumped up and raced around the large table to embrace the man I loved.

Noona blocked my path. "No touching. Go back to your seat. You have 30 minutes to say what you want to Ross and he will tell you his thoughts for 15 minutes, than this meeting is over. Understood."

"I just want to hug him. I miss him so much." Noona just pointed to my original seat.

I reluctantly returned, noticing the cameras directed at the both of us. "Dora your 30 minutes starts now."

I took a deep breath, then started, "Ross I am so sorry about what happened. I was afraid you would try to take Jax from me, and I listened to that asshole John who now lives thousands of miles away. I love you. I admit I wanted to inject something extra into our marriage but I was stupid. A poor excuse I know. I knew what he wanted and I put both of us in a compromising situation. I am so sorry. And I am truly sorry about what happened to your dad. I am glad to hear he is back home. I am so sorry. I want you to come back to me and Jax. Jax is dying inside not being able to see you. I am dying not having your loving arms around me. Please come home. Jax and I miss and love you. I don't want a divorce." all said, a hairs breath from totally breaking down. Adding, "I have a letter from your son," which I handed first to Noona. They huddled, then Noona said, "Ross thanks you for the letter. He will read it later and send a message to Jackson."

I looked over to him and saw him whisper into her ear. He was blinking incessantly.

"To your personal plea... No," responded Noona.

"Please Ross. I was a stupid, stupid woman. I never realized how much I missed you, until you've been gone. Please come home."

He whispered again to his lawyer. "But you and him are divorced," Noona answered.

"That was all a misunderstanding as well. The divorce may have been illegal. John forced me to divorce you. Can you help me, I mean us, quash the divorce decree from your end."

Noona answered without conferring with Ross. "That is not going to happen. Ross wants the divorce to be upheld."

"No. Please Ross, look at me. Talk to me please. It was all a mistake. John was so powerful and convincing." I was grasping at straws to help this go away. "Don't you have any love for me and what about Jax. Jax is not doing well in school since you've been gone. He doesn't talk to his friends. He is avoiding them and me. I am afraid we are losing him. Please help."

Noona responds, "This is why Ross set up this meeting, Dora. Ross has offered to send Jackson to a child psychologist to help get over your divorce and other issues. All at his expense."

"He doesn't just need outside help. He needs you Ross."

He whispers to Noona, and she responds, "Then you shouldn't have issued the restraining order against Ross."

"That should be easy to overcome. That was signed off by that crooked judge. Surely it is not legal now. Please Ross. Please help Jax and me. At the very least help us quash the restraining order. I cannot get past Judge Reynolds. Perhaps you and your lawyer can stop the restraining order. You can see your son whenever you want. Come back to our home. Your home. See Jax but also love me back too. I promise to never do something so foolish again."

Ross whispers in Noona's ear while blinking sporadically, "He says the restraining order works both ways. It also makes it more difficult for you to contact my client."

"But what about your son. Don't you want to see him at least?"

Again they confer with him blinking. She looks at me, "He has his own way of dealing with this. Your son will understand."

"No, he doesn't understand. We are losing him. Don't you care."

"He does care. That is why he has asked for this meeting."