All Comments on 'Dilemma'

by Joesephus

Sort by:
  • 221 Comments
NucleusNucleusover 16 years ago
Heart-warming

Thank you for this excellent story. I enjoyed it very much.

<p><b>Nucleus</b></p>

JADED_ONE1969JADED_ONE1969over 16 years ago
I REALLY WOULDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

I truely would not know what to do.If this was my wife's dying wish then I suppose I would have to at least think about. Much would depend on the ex-wife If she had changed or If she was married to that prof but IF they both still love each other and If the ex can perhaps explain what happened when she cheated on him and prove somehow that it will not happen again well as an old romantic I say go for it.

Great story carry on the good work.

Regards

GW66

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Good story

In concept. Way too over the top in execution. You belabor every part of his pain to the point I want to kill the poor bastard just so I don't have to hear him whine anymore, Christ. I think you could have told the same tale in three pages and been more efective. It was a painful read and I trudged on only for respect of your work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
you a good writer,but you whine to much

you whine and bitch rather than go and do what has to be done.wimpy and weak as a man in this story.run away like a little girl,rather to see what happen and face the problem.whole life slip away because wife cheated,if she cheated.wasted a lot of words explaining a lot about nothing.you could go to a football game,but could hear what wife had to say.common sense comes up short.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Dilemma -- Are there 3 Lorelei's?

The first is his ex-wife, the second is a patient at the fertility clinic. The third appears to be a receptionist at the clinic who is reminding him of an appointment? If so, then there is no dilemma -- he should cancel the appointment. No point in fertilizing his dead wife's eggs -- Who would carry them anyway!

<p>

Perhaps his dilemma is should he ever talk to his ex-wife -- Definitely, should have done this long ago. He should have done that when he went down to his parents.

I hope I misread the story, but his obsession with Lorelei was over the top and continued to damage his relationship with his family and [dead] wife. I think the story would be much better without the melodrama and without the dilemma.

easylivineasylivinover 16 years ago
No Information.....

about Loralei's affair, what, where, when,next to nothing about the professor, how it happened, how long,what happened after she was released from the hospital. No idea if the affair continued, basically no information to make a decision on, what was Loralei's life like after the divorce. His deceased wife did not give any information about what she knew, if anything about Loralei. They had apparently communicated somehow. The second love story is definitely wonderful though. Such unconditional love, healing and understanding would be near impossible to match. I think the second marriage was the one for the ages, it made him whole again.

EspressoBolusEspressoBolusover 16 years ago
No doubdt

With all of the manipulation and trickery, the ladies forgot one thing, our hero is too emotionally unstable to take care of himself, uch less the twins or any future children.

Secondly, the answer to what should be done is easy, nothing. There is no reason for any action. Let the eggs stay frozen and ignore the appointment.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Great story but...

Joesephus, you are an excellent writer but you have left so many areas open that it is a bit distracting. This story has so much potential that you need to complete it. MLH

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Excellent

Don't live in that part of the country anymore, but you bring back good memories of that area. And your story is very well done. I would like to say entertaining, but really it was far more than that.

Perhaps there will be a follow on to this one. If not I look forward to more of your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Good typing, if not much else

The narrator is a bit unlikely. He is a loser, first of all - he finds out that his wife/soulmate has been making the beast with two backs with someone else, and he flips out, completely. It is just as well most people are somewhat/considerably more mature in their response to such information.

Then, quite improbably, he finds another wonderful relationship, and blah blah blah

His dilemma is unlikely - but not so unlikely as him actually making a decision. I imagine that the next woman will decide it for him, and then let him think he actually affected the outcome

I find Cindy to be implausible - she is optimistic enough to sign a multiyear book contract - and yet is busy selecting her husband's new bedmate and mother surrogate. One or the other, but not both. I've knew a woman dying of breast cancer who more or less annointed her successor - but the only plans she was making had to do with her child (the successor was husband's long time secretary, they were all friends, the child knew and liked the woman, etc) I've also known heart transplant recipients - they were either optimistic (book contract, but no contingency plans) or pessimistic (contingency plans for everything but living very long).

In other words, the author has done little to create a real situation. The narrator is a whining loser, and Cindy is a modern version of one of the female saints of yore. Gimme a break. Good typing/proofreading, though

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 16 years ago
Great story about a Loser and rather WEAK man

this is a Great story and I am giving it a 100 but I dont like the husband / male lead character here ar all. He may be one of the weakest "normal" men characters I have ever come across in the serious Loving Wives Genre... and by that I dont include the shit that JPB puts out

<br></br>

I dont mind ending which is left open.. In Fact that is one of the best things about this story.

<br></br>

This is a one really WEAK male.... it seems he has only

had a personality through another woman... be it

with Lorelei or Cindy. Short of being a pedophile...It is hard to imagine a Man so unequipped to handle the rigors of fatherhood.

<br></br>

Maybe "weak" is Not really the best word... maybe under developed is a better term.

<br></br>

To be sure your Male lead character here is not as

fucked up in the head as <u>TheCelts The CHILD's

PUNISHMENT</u>... or as bad a Husband as <u>DG HEAR's</u> new story where the Husband is jerking himself off over watching videos of his wife getting gang raped in Atlantic City... but this Guy is almost as bad.

<br></br>

Until very recently this guy could not even say or think his ex wife's name without having a violent phsyical illness. To be sure with Lorelei he had a special connection.... which was a Gift and a curse. You see they way I read he story he never got the chance to develop "Outside of her". His conenction to her went back to when they were young Kids. It is one thing to give yourself to your mate /spouse ... but this connection was more complicated. She was always there and he never developed any sense of himself as a MAN-- either as a teenager or in his 20s --- independent of HER.

<br></br>

<b>Lorelei stepped out on him b/c she had a much better sense of herself as woman. He was far more wrapped up in her than she was with his. How dO I deduce that? IF Lorelei was as attached to him as he was to her... she would not of cheated / had the affair.</b>

<br></br>

Then when this guy met Cindy at first it was a help

.... she literally gave him a reason to live. But later on even Cindy saw that he was putting her up way too high in this pedestal.... which is sort where Lorelei was.

<br></br>

Ergo this guy even during the time he was falling in love and being with Cindy was still NOT developing as a MAN. Cindy was a rebound relationship... he really needs to survive on his own without some woman around that he follows around like a little lost puppy dog.

<br></br>

Lastly Cindy Must know that in the event of her death

... by bringing in Lorelei back into his life... he is risking his sanity all over again.

bruce22bruce22over 16 years ago
Well written story that held my attention from

beginning to end. I would have no doubt, let's get those

two other kids with Cindy's genes out and moving along but

I have no confidence in the protagonist's good sense!

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Reading some

of the previous comments prompts me to think that those people need a heart(and in some cases brain)transplant,becaus they obviously lack both. This story is about a normal man and woman with all the failings that normal people have.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
I Know What To Do

Of course he lets Lorelie bear the child(ren) (hopefully, another set of twins). How else can he heal? Love is not about "how much we can punish the betrayal of trust" but about "how much we can relearn to trust the love we have given and the one who has been the friend above all friends". Write on, Joesephus, you have seen enough of life to understand how our "tangled webs" can have real and true meaning. Private e-mail is coming.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Thankyou for the wonderful story.

The male character is deeply flawed, selfish and shallow which makes him completely and wonderfully human. Many of the readers who posted their comments were hoping for more betrayal, pain and suffering and lots of hardcore sex. In this story, the sex was secondary, the heart was about second chances, about love lost and found in the most unexpected places,itt was a story about rejection and redemption and I confess that your tale had me in tears from the beginning. It was also a great ending, letting us, the reader, decide for ourselves what would happen next. Sometimes, we don't get to know the ending, sometimes we don't get to know everything. Thank you for a fantastic story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Fight or Flight

I want to take exception to most of the posters comments about the man being a wimp.

The only thing I can say is that those who take that position have never been driven to their knees by the pain of betrayal.

Some times the only physical human response to pain is fight or flee. When driven to that kind of response it takes years to recover and to recover your manhood too.

The story may be a complete work of fiction, but it is really based on someone's real pain in the past. I only hope and pray that those with the harsh commentary never face such pain themselves.

louguy35louguy35over 16 years ago
I could tell you what to do...

but you probably would not like it. The story?? omits too much in many instances. More explanation of Lorilei's affair would have been helpful in understanding the churlish behaviour of the husband (narrator). Why was he so impotent as a human being?<p>

It should have been specified that Cindy was not going to be cannonized as a saint, despite her near miraculous accomplishments and the venerable esteem in which at least approximately 12,500 people held her. After all she dearly loved to engage in premarital sex. Ahh...sweet surrender!<p>

But the very worst part of all...the part that makes the story a waste of time to read, is that it is left unfinished. OK...you alerted us at the beginning that readers would get nowhere reading the story, but I had to read it to see just how you would obfuscate the plot line.

You managed it by using a series of loosly related events and incidents, a number of feeble euphemisms, questionable relationships (ie: Lorelei and the narrator's parents), and finally by simply saying, implicitely if not explecitely, that you were not imaginative enough to write an ending.<p>

You are one of the good writers on Lit.com, but you failed to be a good storyteller in this case. Readers of the LW genre on Lit.com need for good writers like you to be really good authors. But that entails finishing a story.<p>

See if you can finish this story with a sequal. Don't let us readers down.<p>

Have a good day!

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
My 2 Cents

I thought he was ok, just that his exposure to his ex from such an early age did stunt his social growth, as has been pointed out. But I can understand his behavior in light of his up-bringing. But for those of you who insist he's a wimp, here's your ending. He shows up to meet his ex, takes her off to a secluded place and murders her brutally, effectively wiping out her/their offspring. He then leaves the country and takes up life as a merc, killing for hire in a third world country. That way he will also end up in hell and never have to see the double-crossing "saint" Cindy who tried to get him back with his ex in the first place. Macho enough for you???

bornagainbornagainover 16 years ago
Most Moving

Joesephus i understand the feelings chris was feeling when he lost his wife because i lost my dad not to long ago i still cry from his death,I wonder if Lorileihad been there when chris left to take the twins to there friends place because of the fertility card that was left near the candle and it would be a good idea to hear Lorelei`s story about how&why she threw there marriage away like the way she did .

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Couldn't stop

There are only a handfull of storytellers on this site that I can say "I've read everything they've written here", but you sir are one of them! That's not to say that I love everything you've written, but I'm always glad to see a 'new' story from you. Please continue writing your stories, entertaining us that love to read them. T in LV

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 16 years ago
well I never used the term Wimp

Just to clarify... I have NOT used the term WIMP .... I used the term WEAK or under developed. I dont think it the term applies here... the guy is in pain and his attechment to Lorelei is not something Planned. His decision to Flee was the correct one..

<br></br>

I for one can never figure out why all these men -- with no kids - always stay and try to work it out.

Alvaron53Alvaron53over 16 years ago
Wonderful

Consummate storytelling even if the prose has some errors in it. Thank you so much.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
One word

Excellent!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Betrayed by the one person you totally trust!

Betrayed, deceived, lied to, disrespected by yout one and only true love. He wasnt a wimp he ran to keep from killing himself. He found one loving and pure woman who gave him everything. Now the one who tried to rip his heart from his soul and to emasculate him by her actions wants back into his life. I would keep the appointment, walk up to her, and say die a rotten death and rot in hell slut, and walk away from her. But them I have ethics and morals, granted not to somes liking, but you only lie to me once and it is over, period. Just because someone says I am sorry you dont have to forgive them. Just because you forgive someone their transgressions on you, you dont have to take them back into your circle of life. She fucked a guy for the fun of it and prestige acquired by knowing him, isnt it wonderful what love and marriage are worth?

katibkatibover 16 years ago
Loose Ends?

This is a superb story -- one of the best in Literotica. You, Joesephus, did well to focus upon the heart, because you have a profound knowledge of it.

Some of the commentators here have taken a few threads of your narrative and teased the ends of them, seeking to bolster their egos by finding a few loose ends. But isn't that characteristic of life? Who among us is without loose ends? Whose life is a straight string, and knotless? Thanks for winsome deviation!

zed0zed0over 16 years ago
Wimp!

Another wimp story combined with a bunch of religious tripe. I think I'll go to church and pray he doesn't end this long winded tale of holy B.S.

thebulletthebulletover 16 years ago
good

<p>Terrific <i>LW</i> story with the expected cheating and as often happens, the husband cuts and runs. But then the story takes a turn into romance.</p>

<p>What made this special was the characterization of Wifey #2. She came with a solid dose of inner strength and spirituality that made her a very attractive character. My only real question about the work was: what did she see in him???</p>

<p>Josephus continues to improve. This was IMO his best work to date.</p>

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Confusing

I normally like your writing, but this I could not get into. I gave up in the beginning of page 2. Unless I missed somathing very obvious, all I read was that he arrived and his wife was sitting with professor. He tapped her on the shoulder and she got up to dance with prof and he "knew" she had been unfaithful no matter how innocent the two of them acted. He then went beserk and drove all over the country. Maybe the later part of your story supports his contention that they had an afair, but nothing in your actual writing on page 1 is strong enough to have him go crazy.

the Ct. Yankee

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Loved it, please continue with the story

I have never commented on any of the stories i have read here on this sight. But, I liked this story and the others so much that I felt I needed to tell you that I love your work. You left the story open for other people to continue but I think only you can do it justice. I really hope you finish this story. Keep up the great work.

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioover 16 years ago
Very interesting story!

The story rambled and seemed repetitive in the beginning, but then it really took off and became quite coherent. Overall, it was a good read and kept my attention. Unfortunately, I agree with many other comments that Chris never fully matured, either socially or emotionally. He does seem wimpish in his apparent inability to face his problems, his memory lapses, his running away. Surely he could have spoken with his parents more dispassionately. Lorelei should really have a story of her own, possibly a sequel from her perspective. This could fill in a lot of blanks as pointed out by others; we could learn more of her thinking, her law professor, and her clandestine contact with Cindy (setting up the surrogate mother role for two more embryos). Actually, some of the comments don't fit the story; the author indicates that the embryos are already fertilized and sitting in a frozen chamber; these are not frozen eggs from Cindy waiting to be fertilized as with the first session. If the eggs have already been fertilized and then frozen (i.e., they are already embryos) then Chris does not need to be present for the implantation into Lorelei. In fact, if she already has some sort of legal permission from Cindy (and maybe from Chris if he signed something while under the influence of the "little head"), then Lorelei can just get the embryos implanted without Chris' consent. He then would be obligated to support the babies, since he would be the only living, biologic parent (and clearly he would have supported them if Cindy had been healthy enough to carry and give birth to them). As others commented, this lets Lorelei back into his life, in his face as it were. We must assume Cindy wanted this reconciliation and forgiveness just like she plotted to get Chris back with his parents. I'm having trouble accepting this plan; Cindy would know this would be hurtful to Chris. What about Lorelei? Are we to assume she never got on with her life? She would just stay single, moping and feeling guilty for what she did? I doubt it; any woman who cheats will find counseling, or some rationalization to excuse the behavior (maybe men would do this too!) and she will move on. Certainly she would know Chris remarried, so there would be no reason to "wait for him" to come back to her (as happens in too many of the Loving Wives stories, in my opinion). One final question I have -- Cindy gets Chris to take the twins out, then suddenly dies? There was no sign she was suffering rejection of her heart transplant and every indication she was doing well. If she were becoming ill again, Chris would have known and surely her doctors would have known. Or did she kill herself as some supreme act of sacrifice and unselfishness to force Chris back with Lorelei, his one and original true love? Maybe a sequel can clear this up too. Please keep writing.

SapphicMojoSapphicMojoover 16 years ago
Sublime

Brilliant work, though I suspect much was lost while cutting and pasting for submission. Several paragraphs on the first page just drop off mid-sentence, which kinda pulled me from the story a bit at first. It went from talking about Lorelai's parents to saying her mother never remarried. Didn't know until much later on that they separated by death, not merely divorce. There's also a reference to the way he died, but it's very vague... made me wonder if something dramatic had been inadvertently omitted. Other than that, I loved the story. I would like to encourage the author to resubmit, though, so future readers (and fans) get the benefit of the entire work. This is the first story I believe I've read from this author, but if the rest of his work is half as brilliant as this piece, it won't be the last. Great work, and keep writing.

Paniolo BoyPaniolo Boyover 16 years ago
Wow!

Great story. Raises the 'bar' for all story writers. Would love to see you keep this one going however challenging it might be. Great work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Excellent- one of the best I've read - ever.

I was disinclined to read your story when it said a) no sex and b) it ends where it starts, BUT this is one fantastic story.

I want to see more of what happens with Lorelei.

You have great tension, character development and motivation. The death at the end fits neatly.

Now I wonder if the next set of children will be with Lorelei or if this will be yet another type of reconciliation?

A great twist to the LW category!

Way to go!

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Did you write most or all the compliments?

Something this long should be proof-read and edited. And remember, a hit on a story doesn't mean that person read it all the way through. Good thing you've got an open site like Lit, or your story would never have seen the light of day.

JoesephusJoesephusover 16 years agoAuthor
I'm a computer Klutz!

I just read the comments about missing paragraph endings and checked the story carefully. I'm not sure how that happened, but there are several that are missing.

<p>

I have submitted a corrected copy and I hope it will post soon.

<p>

I do understand that some hate this story, I find their comments to be very useful and enlightening. I do hope that some will amplify their comments with a more detailed private note. This is especially true for those who have liked other of my stories. Believe me, it does help.

<p>

Finally, while I've said I wasn't going to write any more on this story, I'm re-considering. The story will still end in the same place, but I do see that the reader needs to see a bit more of how I understand the relationship between Chris and Lorelei.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago

Wonderful story. First wife's breakdown after husband leaves makes her a person I would like to know better. What was her thinking during her infidelity? What was she doing in the years before she agreed to carry the babies?

How was she seduced in the first place and how long did the affair last.

Joesephus, you state the story is over. Please reconsider and write more. I have read all your stories on this site more than once and greatly admire your insights. I have experienced that disconnect where the shock of finding your love with someone else puts you in auto mode and you suddenly wake up with a shock. It didn't last long, but it was quite real.

I think forgiveness is an adult response of a mature person who has grown enough to understand that at some point in our lives, we all need mercy and forgiveness. The husband needs to forgive and the first wife needs forgiveness. I think that is the next chapter's beginning.

I feel sorry for the people who have the kneejerk reaction that cheating wives should be killed or made to suffer greatly. Such thinking stems from great pain in the past and these people want the world predictable - and black and white. They are always afraid. I know because I used to be them.

The best stories are the ones that get in the head of the characters with depth and insight. I want to know the characters and why they did what they did. I like it when there is remorse and regret because that makes the character, for me at least, a person of worth. Who can care about a sociopath who is totally selfish and considers only in their own interests.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
missing sentences

"She startled and blurted out that our room had thousand-thread-count sheets"

so i've read the story before. and this site's copy seems to have sentences that have been cut off.

still a great story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Please Finish The Rest of The Story!

The content of the story overrides the flow so many others are critical of! I would like to see the conclusion of his "dilema". This is a great story. Thank you!

z00timez00timeover 16 years ago
crap

i skipped over much of the bullshit in this. If this was a story that i paid to have written, I would reject it as unfinished. It don't even make sense. It should be in the "I like to hear myself talk" category!

Orion623Orion623over 16 years ago
Your Best Story

Easily the best story you have written. A good plot, great characterization, and an ending that leaves many crying out for more,

scylla23scylla23over 16 years ago
Great story!

This was a heartfelt story, with interesting characterizations, and a very engrossing storyline. Sure, there were a few typos here and there, and a few dropped sentences. Big deal! This was very well done, and I would definitely like to see more! Thanks for writing!

peggytwittypeggytwittyover 16 years ago
A well done fantasy of loving wives

You have gone on to show a compassionate man who is so alluring to women and so sensitive to throw up when his ex-wife’s name is mentioned that you have taken all his backbone and made it someone else’s backbone he needs to live. I am sorry Joesephus to say this, but your mail hero shows no sign of a mind or will of his own. I’m sure you didn’t mean to make him milk toast but he sure is one hundred percent without a real idea of his own. Run and hid is his way of solving any problem. Get him some help to raise the kids as he is not capable to function without a real adult being in charge.<P>You know of course you can not leave the story open as you have without an epilogue of some type.<P>You are one of my favorite Authors and I hope you will end this with all the thought you always put in your fantasy’s.<P>As always thank you for you wonderful efforts it is greatly appreciated.<P>PT

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Thank you

It was easily the best you have written and one of the best I have ever read. Mark me with those who would love to hear more about his decision. In regards to your final question; obviously he needs to settle the issues with his ex. It is the reason his wife picked her as the surrogate, so that this gift might be what he needs to heal from both losses.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
The best story I have read in a long time

First, for the guy that worte "crap". You can't exist or you've never had a life! This is a great story and we all hope Joesephus continues on with it. Great writing my friend!

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Why was she with him?

This was a great story and I loved it; but I have a few issues. She was a Christian and he wasn't and the bible says not to be unequally yoked together. Also, she didn't let her pain stop her from living and he never really grew past his hurt, he never let go of the infidelity of his ex-wife. Yes, being cheated on hurts but at some point you have to let go of your anger and pain or it consumes you and he wallowed in his misery. Why would she fall in love with him? It was a great story, mostly because of her but it would have been greater had he grown up and became a man. I look forward to future stories from Josephus.

gsr1970gsr1970over 16 years ago

Good story-well written. Needs to be completed-maybe from Lorelei's point of view.

Sparks373Sparks373over 16 years ago
What A Wonderful Story

What a wonderful Joesephus has written. It is so great, while it does need a little editing, it is very inspiring, and ends at just the right spot. It leaves a lot for the reader to add so they can have the ending they want. Keep it up, Sir.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Beautiful

Beautiful story! Normally I wouldn't stick with something this long, especially with the caveat you gave at the beginning, but this was worth it. You already said you'll resubmit this with the missing paragraphs and sentences put back in, which is good since their absence is definitely confusing. As long as you're resubmitting though, you might want to edit a few more things. As several people noted, the beginning where Chris realizes that Lorelei's having an affair is just too short and subtle, and could use some drawing out. The middle could stand to be cut somewhat if you're looking to shorten the story; while very nice, it's also very long-winded, and not everything really advances Chris and Cindy's relationship. Also, as other readers pointed out, Cindy's death seems to come out of nowhere, and with all the care and attention she gets, that doesn't make much sense. Overall, gorgeous story, but it needs a little cutting and polishing.

SleeplessinMDSleeplessinMDover 16 years ago
Thank You For An Outstanding Story!

First the negative comments - story needs editing.>>>> Lorelei and Chris were emotionally immature although Lorelei was clearly the dominant partner. The incident where Chris caught on to her cheating was not the first time she cheated on him. What is interesting is her 3 voice messages. First she tries to con him as usual. The second message was to control him as usual. The last message is when she realized what she lost. During the next 5 years Lorelei makes no effort to contact with him except thru his parents and Cindy even though she is discussed by his wedding guests. Now Chris has this dilemma after Coindy's death?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What dilemma? Should Chris meet with Lorelei at the clinic? Of course, he should meet with her to resolve much of the hurt in his soul and forgive her! Cindy arranged things to obtain this type of closure for her man. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Should Chris pick up where he left off with Lorelei? HECK NO! There is no sign that Lorelei has changed at all. She does not deserve a chance to screw Chris's life up again. Also, Chris has two kids to take care of so if for no other reason they do not deserve that bitch in their life.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Should Chris take advantage of Lorelei's offer to have Chris's and Cindy's baby? HECK NO! Having a baby without a loving couple or because of self centered reasons is just breeding or procreation. Why Lorelei? There are 12,000+ friends of Cindy and I sure that some fraction of that group can find someone who could, if desired, have Cindy's child.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> There is nothing in how Cindy treated Chris to lead him to think that Cindy wanted Chris and Lorelei to be together. If anything Cindy erred on the side of protecting Chris from people who could drag him into the abyss. So, except for the forgiveness aspect which is so part of Chris's nature, there is no need for Chris to get entangled with Lorelei. Chris had grown up so he could handle Lorelei. Once again I ask what dilemma? Outstanding! Thanks again.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
I concur with SleeplessMD

that there IS NO DILEMMA. None, the title (which is to suggest Chris's inner turmoil) notwithstanding... <p>

Chris has something more than gold, silver, or diamond --- something incalculably more than Lorelei --- TO LOOK FORWARD to, to love and cherish, and that's his children: two beautiful children from a mother, a woman, who gave them and Chris all the world, all she had.... <p>

Why would any man, or woman (if in the reverse situation), look backwards to a time, to a terrible experience, in which he had INVESTED all of his trust, love, and loyalty in one a person, Lorelei, with whom he grew up and thought knew deeply.... to have that person not only walked all over you but also shit on him, as she walked all over him? <p>

The most devasting thing he could do --- if he so desire --- would be to have her (if she wants) meet Chris and his children at a good restaurant, and listen to her but pay most of his attention to HIS TWO CHILDREN the whole time, and once in a while ask her to "repeat again what you're trying to say?" <p>

Such an action would show her, unequivocally, that he's not only "over" her, he's moved on, looking forward to something she would likely never have: and that's tremendous happiness and joy with his beloved children, from a beloved wife who brief interlude with him had given the world, the cosmos in fact, two unique and beautiful creations! <p>

Of course, if Lorelei is not able to understand the significance of such a thing, then it won't matter anyway (and why would he want to live with someone who doesn't understand such sublime truth anyway?). But if she's able to understand it, then it would simply magnify, for her, the heinous crime she committed against Chris who did nothing but love and chrish her ever since they were little... until she decided to not only shit on him and but also walk all over him after her shit was already on him,,,

SalamisSalamisover 16 years ago
A very good read

<p>At the beginning of this story I questioned the ability of the husband to infer that his wife had been unfaithful. The evidence of her betrayal was completely missing, it wasn’t even circumstantial. </p>

<p>The last story I read with such a plot device was “Bright Eyes” by wetapap. In that tale the husband grows suspicious because of the mere look in his wife’s eyes. He pursues that suspicion until she confirms her betrayal, thus validating the husband’s paranoia.</p>

<p>In this story explicit confirmation is never received. That omission dampened my enthusiasm a bit. However, you took several other risks that overcame that concern.</p>

<p>I applaud you for including a religious figure and theme in this story. It always strikes me as funny that on a site that is indicative of the very essence of ‘free speech’ that that speech may exclude certain topics such as religion. Your usage here was refreshing and also integral to the story.</p>

<p>While I too think this is one of your best works I did not feel that the husband had much of a dilemma at the end. Lorelei was history and I thought she should have remained so. Sending an appointment card certainly did not entitle her to more than a passing thought. </p>

<p>As for the embryos, some hold that life begins when blood enters their systems (some 20 days after conception). Since freezing always occurs prior to 20 days then it could be argued that they aren’t yet alive and therefore, could be destroyed. Besides, our husband has 2 children already and I fail to understand why he should now become a single parent of a third…or more. </p>

<p>Also, how presumptuous is it for your dead wife to set you up with your ex? And then the ex sends you a birthday card without the decency of even signing her name? Nope, no dilemma here, avoid that woman at all costs!</p>

<p>Thanks for a most intriguing story.</p>

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
This man was blessed with two

wonderful women in his life. He is one very luck man. Cindy was a loving and caring person that looked after him and wanted nothing but the best in life for him even if it involved his ex. He has a decision to make, actually there is no decision to make. He should make the meeting with his ex as Cindy had planed and wanted him to do. He would be disgracing her wishes if he was a no show. Otherwise, it was a very loving, tear jerking stories that has been posted her and I enjoyed it tremendously. I am very glad it was fiction because a non fiction story like this would have been to traumatic to read and retain. My hat is off to the author.

swingtimeswingtimeover 16 years ago

The depth of the protagonist's emotional immaturity and the height of his moral narcissism make this character unappealing if not just pathetic.

The barfing, the long flight from home, the divorce without discussion, the self-inflicted isolation - these reactions signal an emotional dependency on his first wife (or more to the point, on her sexual faithfulness) that goes way beyond emotionally mature love.

The protagonist's questionable valuation of sexual purity also arose with the second wife and her need to apologize for her 'youthful indiscretions'.

Moral narcissism: the employment of morality to indulge one's sense of self-worth - which is exactly what the protagonist does. First, he treats the initial infidelity as if it happened in a vacuum, as if L was completely bad and he was without any guilt as the purely aggrieved party. Life, and marriages, are rarely so simple.

Second, his suffering with the loss of his second wife - and again he's the purely aggrieved party - highlights one of the less impressive aspects of Xty - it tends to create and coddle whiners by casting a moral sanctification over common suffering.

In the case of both wives, he indulges in moralism to avoid the real emotional work of facing his responsibility and his suffering directly. It's no wonder that so often those that hold so tightly to such moralistic lifestyles often are the ones screwed up.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
More Please

Please consider finishing the story from his first wife's perspective.

daluentdaluentover 16 years ago
Great Story

Please finish this great story. I think you are one of the best writers on this site. Make the protagonist a little more mature. Forgiving is good for his soul, but he will never forget. Let him meet his ex, but don't have him trust her ever again. Waiting for more. Luis

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
please

excellent, one of the best i have ever read . i know you have no intentions to continue this story, but anyway- please, please write the sequel...i cant sleep, not knowing what happen next...

JoesephusJoesephusover 16 years agoAuthor
This is the correct version...

as far as I can tell. I'm not sure why the version that posted first had dropped paragraph endings, but the ones I've checked are now back.

If you find unfinished sentences or weird mistakes, please drop me a line and let me know where they are. While I'm perfectly capable of making those sorts of mistakes, they'd never get past my wonderful editors.

JoesephusJoesephusover 16 years agoAuthor
PS 10/16/2007

I have written a very short, by my standards, story told from Lorelei's point of view. I've just sent my rough draft to my editor and I should post it in a few days. I have no idea when it will appear.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
cant wait...

for "Lorelie".

bornagainbornagainover 16 years ago
A Question?

In your story of Dilemma you say Lorelie and Him are twins well they couldnt be twins if they are from two different mothers did you think of that ? in order for them to be twins they have to be from the same birth mother. because it says her father died in a plane accident and he was from another family.

JoesephusJoesephusover 16 years agoAuthor
It is confusing...

I'm leaving in the morning for a wedding, but I wanted to answer your question before I left. No, they were not related biologically, but since they spent most of their waking hours together, the developed the sort of bond twins sometimes have.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
A truely fine story

Joesephus, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, There are comments made about his feeling sorry and immersing himself in the "pity poor me" mode, and yet you plainly showed at the beginning of the tale that in many ways he had subjected himself to her. If that happens, then her betrayal would create a tragedy of monstrous proportions in his mind. That betrayal would totally remove the crutch he'd leaned on and render him a mental cripple. It would take a Cindy to make him whole, and yet, some of your readers don't understand that once again, it is a woman (even if, and maybe because, she's a saint in earthly garb) who provides his strenghth, his crutch. Looking forward to the next chapter. Thank You. Ronnie W.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
No Reason to Interact with Lorelei

Fab story--thanks. His dilemma is no problem at all. Wife number one has no place in his life--period. He should prevent the clinic from letting Lorelei ANYWHERE near his and Cindy's 'stuff'. He should send Lorelei back to her professor, or wherever. And he should do this through his lawyer. There is just no reason for him to even have to communicate with her. NO Dilemma here---she's already history----Bad History. If he needs another kid, so desparately, he can continue to screen future women. This whole scenario was so unbelieveably cruel by Cindy, that he should wonder if she DID actually love him at all.

The NavigatorThe Navigatorover 16 years ago
I cried

I cried when I finished this story. I cried again when I found the author had died shortly after writing it. Such a talented writer, such a short life. Could God have made a mistake, taking him so young?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
*sniff*

ok, i am having some allergy attack, all of a sudden. great story w/ imperfect characters.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
A true classic

Thank you for one of the most beautiful stories at the site.

Scorpio44Scorpio44about 16 years ago
Incredible!

One of the best stories I have read in years. I dream of writing this well.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
great story

I have read both stories and all I can say is PLEASE WRITE CHAPTER 3 and let us see how it turns out. Thank you for your gift to us, it was a great story. Mike from Texas

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Beta readers?

You're a pretentious windbag.

jonnyrebel82jonnyrebel82about 16 years ago
Hmmm

Joesephus was many things, but my friend was never pretentious. Using Beta readers was one way that he tried to over come his problems with English. I could remove the comment below, but Joesephus never did that. I know that the anonymous commentator below won't read this, but I suspect if he'd spotted a grammar mistake he would have taken Joesephus to task for that too

bruce22bruce22almost 16 years ago
Great Reread!

The characters and plots are the property of the author.

We do not have to identify with the protagonist in order

recognize that this is a great story. I only lament the stories that Josephus will never write.

SimpleTomSimpleTomover 15 years ago
Grace and Love

What a wonderful story! Too many times we can see or read about people hurting other people. Anger, hate, envy and other evils can quickly consume strangers as well as people we love.

Through this story, the author tells us of an extraordinary woman with energy, fire and love. She told her perspective husband that he would have to give her his whole heart. In doing so, he would have to give up the pain of what his first wife had done. And if he really followed her request, he would be in the position to offer a unique manner of forgiveness.

This story does have an ending. Joesephus told us the ending by telling us what the husband must do before marrying a second time. By giving up the pain, he could share grace. By forgiving, he could share grace. And by sharing, he would be a better man, a better husband, and a better father.

SimpleTom

KOLKOREKOLKOREover 15 years ago
A memorable story by an unforgettable author

What a fantastic story to remember by this fantastic author.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Question.... Based upon a factual case???

I know the author can not respond on here... But Just maybe just maybe...

This hits very close to my heart... Been there and I am doing IT --- I see her face, I feel her love in my heart, I feel her being within my body, I will love her forever and ever and ever

Alvaron53Alvaron53over 15 years ago
In memoriam

It's been a year and a day since Joesephus was taken from us. I miss his insightful writing and wonderful craftsmanship in storytelling. <I>Dilemma</I> is a true favorite of mine because it explores so many different human emotions: grief, rage, joy, sadness, happiness, hate and love. 100 seems too paltry a score for such a story.

<P>

We miss you, Joesephus, and remember you with great fondness. I'm sad that our paths never crossed even though we were both Austinites. Fare thee well.

The NavigatorThe Navigatorabout 15 years ago
The greatest!

I don't know how many times I've read this, but each time I learn something new--and each time I cry. Joesephus was gifted, beyond all others. It is so sad he died so young.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
I had tears in my eyes.

However, that is only because, like Chris, I just a sniveling weakling that doesn't deserve the title of 'man'. In the first place it is no big deal that Lorelei cheated and he certainly wouldn't have known if she did.

<p>

Watch the birds, females excel at sneaky sex. It is in their genes. It is natural selection at work for women to mate with a good provider and when ovulating to select the best genes for their eggs.

<p>

While, I give the story the highest rating, I agree with many of the posters that Chris over reacted and is a weak person. He certainly went off the deep end over something so minor as Lorelei having sex with another man.

BoringOldGuyBoringOldGuyalmost 15 years ago
WOW!

A true heart jerker. Well written. The story conveys a depth to the characters rarely seen outside a well written novel.

BallsOfSteelBallsOfSteelover 14 years ago
*sniffle*

My heart aches and I'm crying inside after reading this fiction. This is about as good an instruction booklet for how to cherish one's own life as most. The parallels between this and other parables are just too many to list, but there are deep thoughts behind the plot devices that advanced the story. Cindy's a beautiful character in so many ways, yet humble in accepting imperfection and mortality in all people. That's really what Chris needed more than anything: a hard knock from reality to remind him of what matters and what does not. Contrast how Chris reacts to losing Cindy to how he had earlier to losing Lorelei. Cindy was good for Chris's growth as a person and as a parent, even though he didn't always know it at the time. There's no reason to believe that a continuation of the story would necessarily be sad or pathetic. Perhaps Chris can pay it forward and use what he learned from Cindy to aid Lorelei's self-forgiveness and growth. Yes, that would be a good way to live.

bigguy323bigguy323about 14 years ago
I would seriously consider implanting the embryos but

certainly not in the cheating slut of an ex wife. She should burn in hell for eternity.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Wimpy conclusion jumping husband

You write very well, but I gave up after page 2. I'm sorry, I can't stand stories that feature whiny cowardly husbands who just run away and hide while they feel sorry for themselves, but never confront their spouses.

the Ct. Yankee

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Very Powerful Story

This is a very moving story, and I am very surprised to find such a story on a site like this. This should be published somewhere. I am man enough to say that I was on the verge of tears after finishing the story. 'Cindy' may have touched my life.

Orionman17Orionman17almost 14 years ago
An amazing story. Thank you . . .

I will read Chapter 2 wishing it would not end.

LakesLakesalmost 14 years ago
Wonderful!

That's all I can say...

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 13 years ago
God Bless you and your family, we miss you.....

Amen!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
I type this, stopping periodically to wipe the tears from my eyes....

I'm saddened.

First I'm saddened that Literotica doesn't allow five hundred thousand stars.

Second I'm far, fare more saddened that the list of stories from Joesephus will never grow larger. I'll never turn on David Letterman and see him discuss Joe's latest novel in a manner one rarely sees from the likes of Letterman: respect.

The world is a sadder place - I almost wish I'd never stumbled across his stories, then I wouldn't know what I am now going to miss.

Sad.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Wow!

Not what I expected, but what a blessing. Thanks!

KyuzioKyuzioabout 13 years ago
He was a masterful writer!

This was an incredibly moving story. Intense characterization, swiftly moving plot-line, emotionally charged....it was everything a good story should be. The world is a brighter place for the stories Joesephus left behind...but it is a much poorer place since he left us.....

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Always, never forget

Even when a rose pedal falls upon the earth, it will always, always, be a Rose.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Wonderful Story !

n/t

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
tears

what can I say! Tears are still flowing as I type these few words of appreciation for a VERY moving story.I"D love to have read a follow up though.

greyfalcongreyfalconalmost 13 years ago
The best i have read so far

This has got to be the best story ever written on this site. The raw emotions depicted here are so awe inducing that it seems that the author may have been writing his own story. Words seriously can't portray what i felt during the whole story. Just wow.!!

And when i read that the author is no more i truly felt sad that this world had lost another jewel of a writer. What an amazing masterpiece this is. All i can say this piece has left me to ponder about the moments we have wasted quarreling over petty things and thinking about ourselves. a woman like Cindy has got to be an angel and i'll consider myself blessed if i ever meet one like her.

At the end i would just like to quote a few words (actually a whole paragraph) from this story which i felt surpassed all the words ever written by the authors on this site. They were just so beautiful.

"She had the sweetest smile on her face. It was the one she had when she would tell me how much she loved me, but I knew it wasn't for me. It was for the only one she loved more than me. Even before I touched her I knew she'd never smile like that for me again."

5 stars are just too less i am afraid

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Wow!!

Halleluya!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Dilemma.........wonderful story

Wonderful and beautifully written story. I shed tears many times

RePhilRePhilalmost 13 years ago
Truly a heartfelt story

OK you took us through the emotional wringer with this story and I enjoyed it emensly. BUT you owe us a conclusion PLEASE

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
The choice is clear

I can't say what decision Chris will make but I do know what the emotional choice is that Chris must make. Put most simply, it's a matter of choosing love or pain and anger. If honoring Cindy's memory is, for Chris, of greater importance than holding on to the pain of Lorelai's betrayal...then Chris will visit the fertility center.

Cindy would say that's it's not so much a matter of honoring her but simply the path that leads to life offering a healing for Chris' heart.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
...best on this site

All I can say is that this story is awesome. I do hope that he gets together with his ex wife.to finish living his....i think the preacher wife has given him what he needs to do so. thanks again for the story hope you write another one....no sex or drugs just good human interactions in a positive light

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago

one of my favourites....

god bless you, josephus....

DWornockDWornockover 12 years ago
I gave it 3***.

I just couldn't stand the wimpy, complaining, whining drama king. And, of course it is not possible that a man could look at a woman and know that she and another man had sex. Women have evolved to excel at sneaky sex so their actions don't give any clues.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous

story TAGS

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories