Dragonborn Rising Ch. 53

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Only if you call me Ragnar."

That made her smile. "What would you like to know, Ragnar?"

"Well, I don't know much about you except what I've been told." I paused a moment. "I understand we're both widows."

That made her jaw drop slightly. "You lost your wife?" I nodded. "I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too, for both of us. I understand it was Jarl Ulfric..."

She paused a moment before sighing. "It feels like a long time ago now. My period of mourning ended long ago. But watching your husband killed in such a manner never really leaves you. The thing that helps most is keeping Solitude and its people safe. If I keep my mind occupied, I don't have to worry about other things, like finding a suitable husband. I obviously have pressure to marry again."

"I've heard the rumours. Pressure from the Empire?"

"Though I could rule alone, I have a feeling they want a strong Nordic male presence next to me. Some believe I am too young too rule, or too inexperienced to handle the pressure of ruling. Others see me as little more than a puppet of the Empire." She sighed and then chuckled. "Apologies, I'm sure you don't want to sit there and listen to my worries."

"How do you think I felt learning about being Dragonborn and the fate of existence rested on my shoulders? Trust me, it isn't easy."

"Yet you prevailed."

"Sometimes, I was lucky. And I didn't always do it alone. I have some good friends who have helped me many times."

"You were married, though?"

"I was. Muiri. She was... taken from me. It's a long story. To be honest, my life is a long story, not all of it pleasant. I'm sure you've heard."

"I have. There was an ulterior motive to inviting you to Solitude. Yes, I needed that issue dealing with, but to be honest, that could have been handled by my guard or we could have hired mercenaries to deal with it. The Emperor will be arriving again within two days and he wishes to dine with you."

I met her eyes. "I take it you know my history."

"I do. It does not concern me, Ragnar. Your slate is now clean. Everything you have done since Helgen has restored your honour. You saved all of us. I think anything that happened before can be forgiven."

"Thank you."

"What are you doing with yourself now, Ragnar?"

"I'm living at the College of Winterhold with... my partners."

She must have known as all she did was chuckle. "I have heard the rumours, Ragnar. If I may be so bold, how many?"

"Four."

"And they are happy with the arrangement?"

"They appear to be and I heard no complaints." She blushed at the innuendo. "All four of them desire children. I may end up with a rather extended family." I paused before asking, "And you? Any potential suitors?"

"I will not be forced into a relationship; I've made that opinion clear." She paused, clearly thinking. "There is one potential suitor I am interested in. But I'm not sure they would find him acceptable."

"Why is that?"

"There are a few things that could pose a problem. For now, I will hold my tongue."

Finishing our meal, we left the table and moved towards the fireplace, taking a seat on the lounge, Elisif at one end, myself at the other, nursing a glass of brandy each. She sat looking into the fire, and though I'd kept the conversation flowing, she did look a little... sad. "Something on your mind, Eli?"

She looked at me and smiled. In the light of the fire, she was rather beautiful. "It's a lonely existence, Ragnar. Being Jarl. The thing is, I loved my husband. Yes, the marriage was arranged, but he courted me before taking my hand. But nearly everyone who surrounds me, they are not friends, it's just a job. Sure, they want to keep me protected and wouldn't want my death on their hands, but would they care if I was replaced? I doubt it. And my friends from before I was married, they now live their own lives. Many I haven't seen in a long time now." She sighed. "Then there's this civil war and the Empire have their own designs. I don't particularly trust General Tullius. No doubt he'd replace me if he thought it worthwhile. I think the only way I can continue to care for the people of this city, and Skyrim in general, will eventually be marrying someone they approve. But I want to marry for love, not just because he happens to suit the Empire's desires."

I leaned forward to place down my glass before shuffling across to sit closer to her. She watched me with interest before I wrapped an arm around her, pulling her in close. I knew how she felt, the loneliness that came with responsibility. You couldn't really talk to people about it because there was a chance they wouldn't understand.

"Thank you for dining with me tonight, Ragnar."

"Well, I'll be around for a couple of days now so we can do it again tomorrow night."

"I'd like that. You're a good listener."

Well, that once had a difference connotation, but I'd had a feeling she had a lot to say. All I needed to do was ask the right questions. In privacy, she was good company, could crack a joke and it helped she was a real beauty as well. But I certainly wasn't going to think anything other than that. I certainly wasn't someone she should involve herself in. It would make both our lives far too complicated.

We eventually agreed to end the night as we couldn't stay up all night, though I'm sure she would appreciate the company. Escorting me as far as the doors to her private chambers, again I wasn't sure exactly how to part, but I took a chance and leaned down to kiss her cheek. Leaning back slightly, she met my eyes and simply smiled. "Goodnight, Eli."

"Goodnight, Ragnar. Same time tomorrow night?"

"I'll have to buy some new clothes. Can't show up in the same one's eh?"

That made her chuckle. "Well, others might take notice. It won't bother me though."

"Well, I'll give it some thought. I'll see you tomorrow."

The palace was otherwise deserted except for a couple of rather bored looking guards standing at attention. Heading out into the cool night air, I knew she meant me when talking about the potential suitor. Her interest was clear but not overly obvious, but I knew she couldn't seriously suggest me as a potential suitor. My past may have been forgiven but definitely not forgotten.

The Winking Skeever was still doing business though it was winding down, enjoying a tankard before heading to bed that evening.