DragonForce Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The avion's eyes stared at the chart. He didn't understand astronomy, but the planet was clearly marked with 'common name Cygnus 4'. Silence filled the room as the pair studied the chart, the Cygnan nodding repeatedly as he recognized various references on the chart. Excepting the soft whir of cool air being pushed through the chamber, there was no sound. The dragonriders looked back and forth between Darian and Sebell.

The Masterharper wore the cryptic half-smile which told them there was more to be seen. The avion stood transfixed as the harper opened a large book which displayed the image of a tree-covered mountain range with a large river flowing out into a broad plain. An orange sun flared dramatically above the peaks.

T'gellan studied the picture, inquiring of the avion, "That's Cygnus IV?"

Darian nodded, not moving his eyes from the scene. He added a bit of a description. "That's the Nandesal Plateau, looking westward. That's the Timor. It flows northeast through Kanawaer to the northern sea. But I thought the river was wider than that."

Sebell waited for the comments to end before turning over a number of pages to a point that he had bookmarked. This page gave a significant amount of scientific data about the planet, including its size, which it described as approximately 85% the mass and volume of Earth. The atmosphere consisted of oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen, with various inert gasses and metals in trace amounts making it breathable for both human and humanoid life.

Darian was able to point at several illustrations of what he called his 'patrol zone', as well as the city in which he and his team were based.

"I think you're going to find this most interesting," the Masterharper smiled. "Please look at these pages." Again, he turned forward in the volume, revealing a chapter entitled 'Primary Cygnan life forms'.

"Indigenous life forms are carbon-sodium based, blood chemistry based on oxygen-iron interaction," the text explained. "Specific chemical differences with Terran life forms include much higher levels of copper and zinc, normally trace minerals in humans, and higher metabolic rates, resulting in higher body temperatures and energy utilization curves.

"There are five species recognized as the principal intelligent life forms on Cygnus IV. The base criterion for this determination is the ability of all five species to communicate telepathically and/or empathically." The page featured an animal that looked strikingly like Darian. "The first of these is Ornicanthus carnivora."

The dragonriders stared at the photograph, enthralled by the visage. Sebell noted that there were several marked differences. The being illustrated was covered in a thick reddish fur, except for a clear area around the eyes, nose and mouth. At the base of the spine was a clearly visible fan-shaped tail. The Masterharper surmised it served as either a stabilizer or a rudder, possibly as both.

The muscular arms and legs ended in three slender digits, each tipped by vicious talons, unlike their visitor, who showed five fingers on each hand, complete with fingernails. Darian's nails were sharp and rock-hard, but they weren't talons.

Next, they saw the image of a Cygnan fish, graceful body almost entirely above the surface of the water. "...Tursiaps cygna."

"That looks like a dolphin," F'nor observed.

"Same family of animals," Darian confirmed, "if I remember correctly."

The third creature depicted was described as Pseudoserpentes dendroaspis. This picture showed a long, cylindrical shape entwined in a tall deciduous tree.

T'gellan flashed a smile of recognition. "Akira," he announced.

The next image was of an intermediate-sized reddish feline with brown, black and white streaks in its short, tightly matted fur. The image of Loki brought a chuckle from N'rad while the book described him as, "... Felis feralis courtnae."

The final photo portrayed an animal they all recognized. The huge black beast was outlined against a brilliant sunset, sending prismatic highlights dancing off the ridged scales. "... Draconus pyropulmanensis terrificus."

All eyes turned to the Cygnan. Darian stared at the atlas, unmoving. He released a long sigh. Slowly, he turned to face his companions. "Now what?"

Sebell pursed his lips in reply. "We asked Starmaster Wansor to compute how far you are from home. He estimates that you are two hundred eight point three seven two five two light years from Cygnus."

T'gellan asked the obvious question. "What's a light year?"

"A measure of distance used in computing huge distances," the Masterharper informed them. "It means the distance light can travel in one turn, measured by Earth standards."

N'rad stared at his Weyrleader. In an incredulous voice, he wondered, "What does that come out to in miles?"

"One quadrillion, two hundred fifty trillion, two hundred thirty-five billion, one hundred million miles."

"Just next door," F'nor commented.

"That's incredible," T'gellan observed.

The absurdity of the comment brought a ripple of nervous laughter from the riders. Only Sebell saw the enormity of what he had just revealed. He saw no humor in it. He also doubted that the Cygnan found the situation comical. "At least," he reminded them, "we now have proof that Cygnus IV exists. That's significant, eh, Darian?"

No one answered his question. The Masterharper turned to face the assemblage behind him. A Weyrleader and two wingseconds looked back. Darian was gone.