Earning a Name

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Huh." Wade was in disbelief. He'd spent the morning bracing for the worst. He'd almost called his therapist to work through his feelings before he came to his appointment.

"You might be on the road to growing your hair back." Tabi smiled, as she pulled up a cadre of charts to go over with Wade. "Though, I'm kinda partial to bald guys, personally." She winked. "My boyfriend shaves his head because he's bald." The nurse grinned.

"Yeah, I've been slightly worried that it won't all come back."

"Either way, just rock the look with confidence."

Tabi sat on a stool beside the exam table and reviewed a myriad of charts and data with him. They were hopeful for the results of more tests and an MRI after the next round of chemo. If he kept up with his miraculous improvement, he might be cancer-free before the end of the year.

"How was the nausea after the last round?" Tabi questioned, after she got through her charts.

"Bad the first day, but the symptoms got better far faster than before."

"Fantastic. This next round should be better still. How's work?"

"I've been lucky that things have been slow, and my boss understands. I've been able to keep up with my projects."

"Have you been going into work?" Tabitha was taking notes on her tablet.

"No, I seldom do. I'll go in once a week, but they understand that I'm trying to keep from getting sick," Wade explained. "Umm... Dr. Tolbert usually leaves these types of questions for my regular doctor."

"I'm sorry, I believe in more of a holistic approach. We're treating not just the leukemia, but the person, as well. If you don't mind." Tabi's warm brown eyes exuded calm concern. It was like he wasn't just a number on a chart.

"Not at all."

"I know your immune system has been bonkers, but have you been getting out any?"

"Again, trying to keep from catching anything. I have a weekly catch-up with friends online. Most of them moved away after college, anyway. The last time I went to pick something up from Melodia's, it didn't go well."

"Is that the Puerto Rican café on seventh?"

"Yeah. It's fantastic." The food was incredible. Occasionally, talking with Dia was a delightful bonus.

"What happened when you went last time?"

Wade recounted his encounter with the man who had stolen his mask and then Wade getting sick after the episode.

"I can understand why you would want to avoid that, so have you frequently lost your temper since the diagnosis?" Tabitha questioned.

"Far more than usual," Wade said with a sigh. "The bad thing was I felt good that day. Do you know what it's like to suddenly figure out your life might not be as long as you thought? To suddenly worry that you wasted so much time?"

"I do, probably not the same way you're feeling it, but I haven't been a stranger to tragedy and trauma," Tabitha explained, but didn't elaborate. "Have you been seeing a therapist?"

"Yes, funny that this is finally making me confront my social anxiety."

Tabitha covered another few more questions before turning him loose. "We'll see you at the end of the month for your next, and maybe, last treatment."

"I can only hope." Wade smiled, as the woman ushered him from the exam room.

"We'll all be praying for you."

"Thank you, Tabi." Wade put on his ball cap and left the exam room. His oncologist's office was on the fourth floor of the hospital, and after a maze of hallways, he had to walk by the waiting area for the Operating Room on his way to a bank of elevators.

Wade couldn't help looking over to see how packed the room was and met the eyes of Dia in a corner. A tear was streaking down her face and disappearing under her mask. Her leg nervously tapped on the ground, and the magazine in her hand was likely unread.

I wonder if she still likes Diet Coke? Wade thought. Wade saw nothing around her and imagined the agony of being in a waiting room alone. He stopped at the bank of vending machines to grab her a Diet Coke and, himself, a Pepsi.

When they had done their senior project together, Dia was hardly ever without a Diet Coke. Wade regretted taking so long to summon the courage to ask her to prom back then, but this wasn't about that. It looked like Dia could use a friend.

"Dia?" His heart was pounding as he stepped into the waiting room.

"Wade? What are you doing here?" Dia wiped away a tear.

"My oncologist's office is that way." He pointed in the likely direction of the office, though he wasn't sure after all the twists and turns. "I was walking to the elevator and saw you through the window. I'm sorry to intrude, but it looked like you could use a friend... and a Diet Coke." Wade offered her a bottle.

Dia - That Same time

"Thank you, Wade." The man remembered her obsession with Diet Coke in high school. She'd mainly transitioned to coffee these days, but something with that much caffeine would only amp up her nerves. "I could use a friend, if you aren't busy." Dia pointed toward the vacant bank of chairs beside her.

"What are you in for?" Wade sat beside her and cracked the top of his Pepsi. He had to briefly pull down his mask to take a sip.

"It's Fredo," she said, in a sob.

"I'm sorry, Dia." Wade shook his head.

"Biopsy. Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma." Dia tried to blink away a tear.

"No... He's what, five? This isn't fair."

"Seven."

"Damn. So, is this why everyone at the restaurant wears a mask?"

"Yeah," Dia confirmed, with a sad sigh. "I'm scared, Wade. His prognosis is good, but Mijo shouldn't be going through this." Dia took a sip from her Coke. She really needed a friend, someone, to be here. Everyone close to her was keeping her café going or too far away to spend their time in a hospital.

"No, this sucks."

"How're you doing? I haven't seen you in weeks and have sent no deliveries to your place." Dia needed to change topics and do anything to get her mind off the awful things she feared.

"I got pneumonia from my encounter with that jackass outside your store."

"Really? I'm sorry. If it helps, we cut Martin off at the café."

"You don't have to do that for me."

"The camel's back was overburdened before you came in." Dia waved away the concern. "How's the family?"

"Parents moved to Arizona to be closer to my niece and nephews. Georgia is expecting a fourth by the end of the year. It's great for them, but I haven't been able to fly out since I got sick. My younger brother is doing a graduate program in Boston. I think he's going to stay there afterward. He met a great woman with a big family that I'll bet he marries in a year or two. What about you? Where are your siblings?"

"Gabriella moved to Puerto Rico with mom and dad. She's got a few universities to choose from next fall. It would be nice if she got closer so we could see her more often."

"College? She was just out of diapers the last time I saw her." Wade could sell his look of disbelief with only his bright blue eyes visible over his mask.

"We did graduate twelve years ago, Wade."

"Don't remind me. I might desiccate like a mummy and turn to dust," Wade joked. "What about Marisol and Jorge?"

"Marisol is in Seattle with her husband and twins as of June."

"Do they run in your family?"

"No, but her husband, Jeff, is a twin."

"Man, that's gotta be a handful."

"I told her to wait until they get a little older." Dia flashed a brief smile through her mask. Talking to Wade was always surprisingly easy. "Jorge's deployed with the Abraham Lincoln carrier group."

"Is he a fighter pilot like he wanted?" Wade remembered a lot, and they hadn't really talked since high school. There were occasional discussions and, more recently, flirting when he came into the café, but the exchanges had been surface-level.

"No, not quite. He's still a pilot but flies a Hawkeye instead of a fighter. Liz and JJ have made him a little more risk-averse."

"Who are Liz and JJ?"

"Elizabeth is his wife, and Jorge Junior is his three-year-old. He's looking forward to becoming a reserve to spend more time at home."

"I guess the suave routine finally worked for him." Wade laughed. Jorge had been a hopeless romantic in high school and often had his advances rejected.

"It only takes finding one special lady, Wade." Dia winked at the man, who was sipping his soda and likely missed it.

"I know you and Chet are divorced, but shouldn't he be here for your son?"

"He's in Toronto this month." Dia sighed. He was sending along child support well enough lately, but Fredo needed his time, not money.

"Damn, I'm sorry, a seven-year-old shouldn't have to face this. How long has he been diagnosed?"

"A year and a few months, we've been through several rounds of chemo and radiation, and now they are hopeful that the biopsy might get it all. We've heard that before, though."

Dia unloaded the tale of the last year and how hard it had been for Alfredo. The worst part was this wasn't something she could protect her baby from, and all she could do was sit and fret while a team of medical professionals worked their craft. Wade listened patiently and offered some tissue when the tears came. Dia had been carrying this burden and suffering silently for months without an honest ear to commiserate with.

Wade was such a good listener, only intervening to ask clarifying questions. Dia was tempted to tell him more about what had happened with Chet and the other pain she was holding from the dissolution of her marriage, but she held her tongue. The ailing man had heard enough for one day.

"Here," Wade grabbed a card from his pocket as Dia dabbed away her tears. "This is my number. Call or text me anytime, day or night, when you need someone to talk to. I'll be there." Dia grasped the card and then met his blue eyes as he continued. "I couldn't imagine going through this without someone to talk to."

"Okay."

"I mean it, Dia. Day or night, if you need someone to listen, call or text. I can't promise I won't be half asleep," Wade chuckled softly. "I do sleep occasionally. I can only promise that I will answer."

"I will." Dia tucked the business card into her purse. "Did you ever become a teacher?" She switched subjects.

"I did, but not for long." Wade winced, as he sighed and shook his head.

"Oh?"

"Special Education seemed to be more paperwork than teaching. It also didn't help that my classes were too big and mixed kids with learning differences with the kids with behavioral issues. I spent far more time on discipline than it seemed I got to teach math."

"That doesn't sound like fun."

"It wasn't so bad, but my district had financial issues, and my position got cut. I took that as a sign and went back to school. I collected a second degree in computer science and have been doing software engineering since."

The two got less serious, as Wade helped keep her company and prevented her mind from spiraling into the darkest places. The pair had collected several stories from college and the intervening years that were hilarious, but only got the briefest of chuckles. Not because they weren't genuinely silly, but only so much of Dia's brain could be devoted to anything other than worry.

"Dia?" A pretty blonde in scrubs interrupted them.

"Rissa?" Dia smiled briefly as she recognized the wife of one of her best customers. It helped that they had also been friends in college almost a decade ago.

"Why didn't you tell me Fredo would be in my OR? I would have made sure he got the VIP treatment. He's out of surgery but still asleep. Do you want to come see him?"

"Yes."

"I'm going to get out of your way, Dia. Remember, if you need anything, you have my number." Wade gave a friendly wave as he left.

Dia returned the wave halfheartedly before her attention completely shifted to Rissa. "How is he?"

"The surgery went great!" Rissa was smiling broadly. "Dr. Bakir can tell you more in a bit when he comes by your room."

"That's a relief." Dia took a deep breath for the first time all day.

"I got to ensure that Nat's favorite restaurant is taken care of." The nurse joked. Natalie was Rissa's wife and one of Dia's best customers. Her trips to Melodia's had decreased precipitously since she had started dating and eventually married Clarissa.

"She brags about you whenever I see her." Dia grinned. The two women were deliriously in love.

"Huh, I guess I need to do more bragging then. So, who were you talking to in the waiting room?"

"That's Wade, a friend from high school." Dia's cheeks felt warm, as she blushed.

"Oh? Tell me about him."

Cupid 542 - A little later

"Don't think I missed that shot of inspiration." 542 smiled at Angela, as he brought a pair of tea mugs into the kitchen.

"That? It was beneath a muse of my caliber." Angela's attempt to wave away the comment was betrayed by a giggle.

Like the love division, muses had several levels. Angela worked in the division concentrating on artists, writers, and musicians. They were the figures behind Greek myths, such as Calliope, but the artwork missed the wings of the angelic figure that played the part. They got the uniform correct, though. Muses worked in the inspiration division and could oversee anything from grand ideas to smaller and more personal things.

"Uh-huh." 542 smirked, as he set the mug before Angela and stole a kiss.

"So, you said this is a matter of life and death. Is the cancer going to get him if they don't fall in love?" Angela questioned, as she poked through his mystical notebook. She could use the device every bit as well as him, but was asked to continue the conversation.

"It's not an immediate danger," 542 confessed. "Both of their prognosis are good, even if the boy isn't quite out of the woods yet."

"You said life or death, my dear. You're not one for embellishment."

"No. I'm not exaggerating, though. If he doesn't fall for her here, he won't survive when the cancer comes back in a few years." One of the strands of possible futures played out in his notebook. The more defined a display was, the higher the probability of an outcome. Humans were too fickle and mercurial to be able to see the future in perfect resolution, but one could read where the stream of time was likely to go.

"Are we just setting her up for heartache?"

"No." 542 zoomed in on a slice of time a few years in the future and compared two likely streams. "Not if we get them together. He'll be encouraged to attend screenings if they get together. They'll catch it early, and it won't return this time. At least, not until he's old and there are more pressing issues."

"Okay."

"If I fail, she'll get her heart broken in a few years after a failed relationship. She'll look him up only to discover he's dying. There'll still be a confession of feelings, but it'll be too late to prevent heartbreak." 542 sighed.

"Then WE better not fail, my love. Let's see if we can get your past wins working with us. Are you still friendly with that woman in Dreams?"

"Yes. She's a little miffed that she lost out to a particular angel."

"Can't fight true love, can you?" Angela smiled. "You work on dreams with Tabitha and Jake, and I'll see if the girls can find some inspiration." She downed her tea, kissed 542, and then zoomed off as fast as her wings could carry her out the front door.

"Thank the heavens for that woman," 542 said to the empty kitchen, as he prepared to make a call to Dreams.

Wade - Early November

"Hello, Dia!" Wade felt an instant burst of happiness as he answered his phone. Dia was an almost daily phone call that brightened his day. "How are things today?"

"Great, uh," Dia sounded uncharacteristically flustered. "I was calling to see if you wanted to walk with me to take Fredo to a birthday party. It's too nice of an autumn day to ignore."

"A birthday party for Fredo? That must mean he's doing well."

"Yup, he got great news at the doctor this week. He doesn't even have to take his mask!" Dia was ecstatic. A few weeks ago, Fredo had to attend a classmate's birthday party on Zoom as he was still recovering from his surgery.

"That's amazing, Dia!" Wade had been more worried about Dia's seven-year-old than himself. "Nice to see another survivor joining the club." During Wade's most recent visit, his leukemia had been entirely undetectable. He might get to ring the bell in a month or two if everything kept looking up.

"He's excited. I'm dreading the first time he catches anything, though," Dia fretted. Alfredo had been battling non-Hodgkin's lymphoma for almost a year, but the doctors thought they had gotten everything that was left when they did a biopsy a month ago.

"That's another club I'm in," Wade sighed.

"So, walk with me?"

"I'm in. Where do you want me to meet you?"

"Outside your apartment? We're headed in that direction in twenty minutes."

"Sure, that's about perfect for when my clothes will be done in the dryer." Wade couldn't help but smile.

"See you then."

Dia's calls had become the highlight of Wade's day. He had almost rejected the first call when it was a local area code he hadn't recognized it, but he took a chance. What started as a few-minute check-in slowly became hours a night on the phone via a call or video chat. Wade preferred video chat as it was easier to read emotions, but it did mean he had to clean up a little after a day of work.

The calls had morphed into in-person meetings a few times a week. Wade would forgo ordering delivery so he could see Dia's smiling face. Some nights, he shared a table with Alfredo, as the boy worked on homework and other tutoring to catch up from too much-missed school time. Dia would sometimes get to eat with them; other times, she just checked in occasionally, as she put out proverbial fires around the café. It was nice putting some of his pedagogy skills to work, even if his experience was mainly with middle schoolers.

Dia needed time around adults for which she didn't sign a paycheck. Friday nights were Wade's favorite as the two would share an adult beverage and catch up on their weeks after the taqueria was closed. Wade would walk Dia home on warm nights and offer her a lift on others. They were getting close, but he was hesitant to make it more than a friendship while he was still fighting cancer, and Melodia didn't need any added drama.

Wade dressed in a nice button-up and a pair of khakis. Dating might not be on the table, but Dia always dressed nicely. It wouldn't seem right to look like a schlub if he were taking a walk with her. Wade perused his growing selection of hats for something dressier than a ball cap. It would still be some time before his hair returned, and he needed protection from the sun. A trilby would have to do.

Before he stepped out of the apartment, Wade slipped a small box into his pocket. Melodia had informed him yesterday that Fredo had good news to share, and he felt that he needed to pay up with a promised astronaut Lego minifigure for an A on a math test. He liked playing the surrogate uncle role since his nephews and niece lived far away.

"Bald brother!" Fredo yelled, as Wade walked out of his apartment building. He stuck out a fist for Alfredo to bump as he sped up. The seven-year-old had lost the gaunt and sallow look he had when Wade had first been introduced. The warm brown eyes and nose were unmistakably similar to his mother.

"I don't know how much longer you'll be a bald brother with me, tiny human. I think I see a crop of peach fuzz growing back in!" Wade grinned. Alfredo had obviously taken his hat off to show off, as the boy still had his hat in hand.

"Hmm... I don't think he's alone. There seems to be something sprouting on your brow." Dia's eyes narrowed as she inspected Wade's face. "Maybe you'll have to be peach-fuzz pals."

"Still nothing up here." Wade lifted his hat and bowed slightly to show off his shiny pate. His eyes met Melodia's and looked like they were dancing with mischief.