Embrace

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm going to lean you back again, okay?" The doctor stated. He perused Aly's mouth with a pick and lightly tapped on the cracked tooth. "As usual, you have great teeth, but Brooke is right. This one's cracked— number three."

The doctor explained, "It happens with age." Aly remembered she would be in her thirties by this time next year. He continued, "And it's unavoidable unless you're eating nothing but soft food. Teeth crack because we eat hard things like ice, candy, caramel, and so on. We really shouldn't be eating hard stuff like that anyway, but this is a natural thing."

"Wow," Aly mumbled. "So what do I need to do?"

"Well," the doctor replied, "Don't eat anything hard, and you should come back and have us put a crown on it. We'll shave off part of the tooth and put a temporary on. Then you'll have to come back after six weeks and get the permanent one."

"And how much will that cost?" Aly remarked.

"It depends on your insurance," he noted. "Brooke, will you ask the cashier to give her an estimate when you walk her out?"

"I will," Brooke agreed.

"Thank you," Aly included.

"If I don't see you in the next few days, Merry Christmas," he said as he left the room.

"Thanks," Aly murmured.

Brooke interjected, "So, is there a time we can schedule an appointment in the next few weeks for the crown?'

Aly pondered for a moment. "Will I be able to talk afterward? Will I be numb?"

"You'll be numb for a few hours, at least."

Aly continued, "Then I'd better try to do it after school. Or on a day when I'm not at school."

Brooke contended, "We only do those types of procedures in the early afternoon between one and three. And the first available appointment will be December 26 - 2:00 p.m. on the day after Christmas."

"Do you help with those?" Aly asked curiously, hoping to see Brooke again.

"Normally, just on Mondays and Wednesdays, but since college is out for the year, I am working every day."

"Let's do that— December 26 at 2:00 p.m." Aly agreed.

Brooke smiled again as she handed Aly a small plastic bag with some floss, a toothbrush, and toothpaste. "I'll walk you out," she said.

At the cashier's desk, Brooke asked, "Ms. Aly wants to know how much the dental crown would cost based on her insurance." The cashier typed a few numbers into the computer thence a calculator and replied, "$900, and your insurance will pay $250."

"Great," Aly said factiously. "$650 dollars." Aly looked toward Brooke and shrugged, "That's what state government insurance gets you, I guess." Brooke chuckled.

"Have a nice day," Brooke said with a wave.

"You too," Aly replied.

Aly paid and left the building, realizing she had intentionally tried to make Brooke laugh at least two or three times. There was something about Brooke that was intriguing and exciting, and Aly wanted to know more about her.

When Aly returned home, Paige was sitting at the kitchen table. "Hey, you," Paige said as she put down her phone.

"Hey," Aly answered. "Are you cooking anything?"

Paige shook her head, "I thought we could order some Chinese or something."

"Yes!" Aly exclaimed. "I'm hungry."

"I'll say," Paige joked. "I noticed you left your lunch in the fridge."

"Yeah," Aly remarked. "I've got to stop doing that. But I don't have to work for two weeks, so I'll be home for lunch."

"How'd the appointment go?" Paige changed the subject.

Aly stuck her finger inside her mouth. "Apparently, my tooth is cracked and I need a crown."

"Oooo," Paige groaned, scrunching up her face. "How much is that going to-"

Aly interrupted, "650 dollars, on top of the $100-something I paid today."

Paige cheered, "Hooray for state insurance!"

Aly snickered, "That's what I said at the office. But I will tell you something." Aly said as she sat across from Paige at the table, "There's a new dental hygienist that caught my eye."

Paige's eyes widened while a clever grin grew on her face, "Do tell." Paige sometimes acted like a gossiping old woman, interested in everyone's business.

"She's cute, sweet, and polite. And for some reason, I feel funny around her."

Paige tilted her head, "What do you mean 'funny?' Like 'funny' as in horny or 'funny' as in curious."

Aly blushed, "'Funny' as in curious - intrigued."

Paige smiled, "How old is she?"

"She's a senior in college," Aly replied. "Probably twenty-two or twenty-three."

"Damn," Paige muttered. "Six years apart?"

"What's it matter?" Aly returned. "My parents are ten years apart. She's going to graduate soon and then go directly into medical school - or dental school - or whatever it's called. Plus, it's not like I'm actually going to date her. I only said that she caught my eye."

"What do you mean?" Paige exclaimed. "At least get her number if you like her."

Aly shook her head, "I can't just ask a stranger for her phone number. And I don't know if I like her. She's hot, but I don't know anything about her. It might've just been lust."

Paige asked as she shrugged with her hands, "She's not a stranger anymore."

Aly replied, "Chances are she's straight. It'd be like trying to shoot a bird out of the sky."

Paige wrinkled her face in confusion, "What? Where the hell did that reference come from?"

"Never mind," Aly waved scornfully. "I'm not brave enough to ask her out. I was with her for, at most, thirty minutes."

"Ask for her number, Aly," Paige demanded.

"No," Aly maintained.

"Aly!" Paige raised her voice. "You were just complaining last night about not being able to meet anyone. And now you have the opportunity, but you're going to waste it?"

Aly contested, "Asking strangers for their number is not my idea of meeting someone. I know nothing about her."

Paige persisted, "And that's the point of a date— to see if you're interested in someone. If it doesn't work out, then at least you tried."

"But what if she rejects me?" Aly worried. "There was a picture of her and a guy on her desk. It looked like it could've been a boyfriend."

Paige questioned, "What if it's her brother? What if it's just a friend? You have plenty of pictures of yourself with men you've never dated." Aly recalled Brooke mentioning that her brother was a primary teacher. Paige continued, "What's the worst that can happen— She never calls you? Also, you said she's going to be a dentist soon, so presumably, she'll not even be at that office for much longer."

Aly conceded, "Okay, I'll try."

"When do you go back for the tooth thing?" Paige asked.

"Day after Christmas," Aly noted.

"Get her number then," Paige instructed.

Aly sighed and grabbed her phone, "Are we ordering Chinese?"

"Aly!" Paige exclaimed. "Are you going to do it?"

"Yes, I will," Aly returned, looking down at her phone.

"It's been a while since you've had a date," Paige continued.

"I had one last night, dummy," Aly retorted.

Paige rolled her eyes, "I mean like a real date. Someone you can brag about and look forward to seeing again."

"What's it to you, anyway?" Aly asked, covering her face with her hands.

Paige replied, "Well, I prefer it when you're not moping around like a depressed jackass."

Aly pointed at Paige, "Call me Eeyore one more time."

Paige laughed. Aly shook her head and tried to change the subject, "Are we ordering food or not?"

Paige nodded and repeated, "Give her your number."

While Aly had advantages in the way of beauty and intelligence, she lacked courage. Often, she was her harshest critic, doubtful of herself even when others gave her praise and encouragement. And as much as Aly understood that Paige was right, and as much as Aly wanted to give Brooke her number, Aly feared rejection or humiliation more than the prospect of a beneficial relationship.

The thought weighed on her mind in the coming days. Even as Aly visited her family over the holiday and shared special moments with family and friends, she could not shake the impending feeling of repudiation. At times, Aly felt silly for being so afraid. But there was something about Brooke that stifled Aly's ability to think coherently. When she returned to the dentist's office five days later, she planned to give Brooke her phone number.

Chapter Three

Aly's heart raced with anxiousness the entirety of the drive to the dentist's office. It was another snowy day, and the slow travel seemed to prolong the agony of anticipation. Aly contemplated ignoring Paige's advice and behaving like a normal patient. But at the same time, she wanted to ask Brooke on a date. In the five days since meeting Brooke, Aly had allowed a bizarre yearning to fester as she considered the reality of a relationship. Aly also understood that she had devised this entire plan in her imagination and that Brooke would likely have no interest in her.

Aly parked and entered the office. "Good afternoon," the receptionist greeted. "Cold out, isn't it."

Aly nodded as she took off her coat, "Still snowing pretty hard, too."

The receptionist replied, "You can have a seat. We'll be with you in a moment."

As Aly sat on the couch and waited to be summoned to the back, her mouth ran dry. Her apprehension had nothing to do with the dental procedure but was entirely the result of her lack of bravery in giving Brooke her phone number. Am I really going to give this girl my number? What if she's not even here? What if I look like a lunatic? Aly peered out the window, watching the snow continuing to blanket the ground. What if she's not into girls? What if she's taken?

Though Aly only had to wait a few moments, it seemed like an eternity. When Brooke entered the waiting room, Aly's heart leaped.

"Good afternoon, Ms. Johnson," Brooke said, flashing her beaming smile.

"Hello," Aly replied, her throat continuing to dry.

"Are you ready?" Brooke asked.

"I am," Aly agreed as she started toward Brooke. Brooke had her hair fixed into a ponytail instead of a bun. She led Aly to a room in the back, this one larger and more equipped with expensive technology than the room from her previous appointment.

"Have a seat," Brooke motioned with her hand. "How are you?" Brooke added as she sat on a stool.

"I'm well," Aly replied, her voice shaking.

"Great," Brooke smiled. "And how is school?"

Aly answered, "Well, we're out for winter break and we don't return until the fourth of January."

"Oh, duh," Brooke giggled. "Any plans for the remainder of your break?"

Aly shook her head, "Nothing special— just some reading and Netflix, I guess."

"Ooh," Brooke seemed interested. "What do you read and watch?"

Aly went on, "A lot of history books or historical fiction. I'm not much of a science fiction or mystery kind of girl. And I like to watch different dramas on Netflix. Better Call Saul is my most recent binge-worthy show."

Brooke replied, "That's interesting. I like documentaries and stuff like that."

"For me, I guess it comes with the territory of being a history teacher," Aly grinned.

Brooke warned as she dabbed a cotton-tipped stick into some gel, "I'm going to put some topical on your gums." Aly nodded and opened her mouth. Brooke swathed Aly's gums with the gel and instructed Aly to hold a cotton ball in place. Brooke added, "The doctor will give you some Novocaine in a few minutes. Just let that sit."

Brooke sat back on her stool, "Are you ready to get back to work?"

"I am," Aly replied, trying to speak with the cotton in her mouth. "A break is nice, but I'm already bored."

Brooke smiled, "I know it's a rewarding job, and I'm glad you like it."

Aly's mind fluttered with excitement, but the anxiety of asking Brooke to a date crippled her sensibility.

Brooke continued, "How long have you been teaching?"

"This is my sixth year," Aly replied. "Five and a half, technically."

Brooke observed, "You don't look very old."

"Twenty-nine," Aly returned.

"I'm twenty-three," Brooke echoed.

Aly wondered when would be the appropriate time, if ever, to give Brooke her number. But the opportune moment never seemed to arrive; Aly feared sounding awkward or desperate. The dentist entered the room and disturbed Aly's thinking.

"Good afternoon, Ms. Johnson," he added in his deep voice.

"Hello," Aly replied.

"Did you have a good Christmas?" He asked.

"I did," Aly nodded. "And you?"

"Not bad," he said. "Did some ice fishing on the lake. It's cold enough this year," he said as he put on his rubber gloves. "I'm going to lean you back and give you a couple of shots of a numbing agent."

Aly agreed, and when on her back, the dentist stuck the needle into her gum. After a few seconds, the dentist took off his gloves and leaned Aly into an upright position. "I'll let that settle for a couple of minutes and I'll be back. Your lip should start to feel heavy soon," he noted before leaving the room and attending to another patient.

In the doctor's absence, Aly returned her focus to Brooke, whose smile was enough to captivate Aly's emotions. And the musing of asking Brooke on a date engendered a tingling feeling between her legs, which continued to grow throughout the afternoon. Aly attempted to speak, intending to give Brooke her phone number, "Can I ask you a question?" Aly's heart rhythm increased and her palms began to sweat. Why is she doing this to me? Why am I so nervous?

"Sure," Brooke replied, unaware of the battle in Aly's mind.

Aly choked over her words, "Can I- Do you mind if..." She paused, and Brooke's face grew an expression of perplexity. Aly continued, dodging the question entirely, "May I have a cup of water?"

"Of course," Brooke answered as she stood up to fetch the water.

Aly scolded herself for backing off. Dammit.

Brooke returned with the water, "Be careful, you're lips are starting to go numb and it'll be easy to spill."

Aly nodded and drank the entire cup of water in an endeavor to satisfy her thirst. Aly returned the cup to Brook and mumbled, "Thank you," as she felt her bottom lip growing heavy with numbness. She felt something wet land on her arm. She looked down to see that she had involuntarily drooled. She snapped her hand to her mouth and wiped the saliva clean from her face. Her cheeks reddened with embarrassment.

Brooke remarked, "That'll happen with the numbing agent. Don't worry, it happens more often than you might think."

But Brooke's words did not console Aly. She said nothing more until the doctor returned, her sense of guilt and embarrassment eating at her mind. Now I'll look even stupider if I give her my number after drooling on myself.

"Let's go," the doctor said as he put his gloves back on. As it was the time before, Aly looked into Brooke's eyes throughout the entirety of the procedure, though this time she was not nearly as close to Aly. On several occasions, Brooke unconsciously allowed her tummy to press against Aly's face, sending ripples of excitement through Aly's body. By the end of the procedure, Aly knew she was wet, and she knew she had to ask Brooke on a date. Paige was right; Aly would never be able to live with herself if she gave up an opportunity like this.

After the doctor installed the faux tooth and sanded it to its perfect fit, Brooke leaned Aly into an upright position.

"How does that feel?" Brooke asked, resting her hand on Aly's shoulder.

The tingling feeling between Aly's legs grew deeper. "It feels fine," Aly replied, recognizing she could barely speak. Aly touched her lower lip. "I'm still a bit numb," Aly said with a lisp.

"It should wear off in an hour or so," Brooke noted. "Just be careful not to eat anything. It's easy to cut your tongue with your teeth and not feel it."

I can't ask her now. I sound ridiculous! But surely she's used to seeing patients like this. Nonetheless, Aly still feared rejection.

Brooke sat at the computer and began to schedule the next appointment. "We're looking at mid-February for the follow-up appointment. Any day or time you're interested in?"

Aly waved her hand, "Just pick something and I'll take a day off from work."

"February 14th at 1:30 p.m.?" Brooke asked.

"That's fine," Aly replied.

"Valentine's day," Brooke remarked.

Aly responded, "Well, I'm single, so I might as well come here and pay you to stick something in my mouth."

Aly blushed at the comment when she understood how dirty it sounded. "That— that sounded wrong. That's not what I meant." Aly stuttered, her speech handicapped by both the Novocaine and her nervousness.

Brooke chucked in her cute voice, "It's fine."

I'm such an idiot.

* * * *

Aly kicked her boots on the brick steps to avoid tracking snow into the house. Aly saw Paige in the living room through the porch window. Aly wondered if she could sneak past Paige to avoid a conversation about Brooke.

Aly entered the front door. "Hey," Paige greeted as she briefly looked up from her laptop.

"Hey," Aly replied, taking off her scarf.

"So, what happened? You don't sound too excited." Paige prodded.

"Nothing," Aly sighed, reminded of her guilt.

"What?" Paige questioned, wrinkling her face in disgust.

"I didn't do it," Aly stated, still carrying a subtle lisp from the numbed lip.

"But I thought you were going to?" Paige recalled.

"I know," Aly responded, "but I chickened out."

"You chickened out?" Paige repeated. "Seriously?"

"Yes, seriously," Aly mocked. She spoke with her hands, "I almost did it, but then I chickened out." Aly didn't tell Paige she had drooled on herself and made an embarrassing comment.

"Well, do what you want," Paige said.

Aly justified, "She's probably straight anyway - or taken. Or not interested in dating."

Paige nodded, "You're just making excuses." Aly sank into the couch next to Paige, who continued, "Most women are straight. That's a fact. But you have to take chances in life at some point."

Aly agreed, but was unable to finish the sentence, "I know, but-" She continued, "Maybe I'll talk to her at my next appointment."

"When is that?" Paige inquired.

"In six weeks," Aly answered.

"Six weeks?" Paige said in a louder voice.

"Are you going to repeat everything I say with disgust?" Aly asserted.

"Probably, yeah," Paige joked.

Aly sighed. "It's the second week in February."

"That's too far away," Paige demanded. "Go talk to her now. What happens if you wait that long only to chicken out again? You'll be stressing your heart out for nothing."

Aly argued, "How many dates have you been on?"

Paige squinted, "Irrelevant. I hate people in general. But if there were someone I had an interest in, I would go for it. You clearly like this girl, so take a chance. And I'm already in a relationship anyway."

Aly tapped Paige and noted, "And again, why do you even care? I'm starting to think you don't ever leave this couch and are waiting for me to return just so you can give me some grief."

Paige replied proudly as she put her arms behind her head, "I'm your self-appointed relationship advisor. I got you hooked up with your last girlfriend, remember?"

Aly threw her hands up in confusion, "You mean Michelle? That relationship ended in disaster."

Paige conceded, "Yeah, but at least you guys had good sex a few times."

Aly blushed with embarrassment, "Paige!"

Paige grinned, "What? You weren't exactly being quiet in your bedroom. And those hardwood floors make even the softest of sounds—" She perused her mind for the right word, "Hearable."

Aly shook her head as she stood up and started for the kitchen. "Whatever," she scoffed.

Paige giggled, "Go and talk to this girl soon."

"Whatever," Aly yelled louder from the kitchen. She shouted again, "Plus, what am I supposed to do now? Walk into the office and hand her my number and leave?"

"Yup," Paige replied. "Or create some excuse to go."