Enchantress 4 - Turtle Eclipse

Story Info
A Round World wizard tries to take over the entire discworld.
47.6k words
4.92
1.9k
6

Part 4 of the 8 part series

Updated 01/10/2024
Created 05/25/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Duleigh
Duleigh
662 Followers

- a continuing celebration of -

Fifty Years of Pratchett

© 2023 Duleigh Lawrence-Townshend. All rights reserved. The author asserts the right to be identified as the author of this story for all portions not previously copyrighted by Terry Pratchett. This story or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner without the express written permission of the author, except for the use of brief quotations in a review or commentary. If you see this story on any website other than Literotica.com, it has been copied without the author's permission.

This is a work of love, a fan fiction. Many of these characters are the creation of Sir Terry Pratchett, as is the multiverse in which they live. If you would like to find out which of these characters is or is not a creation of Terry, please contact this author. This tale was not written to steal the fame that Sir Terry rightfully earned, but to enjoy one more romp in the shadow of Cori Celesti and remind the world of what we lost on March 12, 2015.

"One day I'll be dead and THEN you'll all be sorry."

- Terry Pratchett, 28 Nov 1992 on alt.fan.pratchett

______________________________________________

ENCHANTRESS 4

Turtle Eclipse of the Sun

{With parenthetical annotations}

There are minor drawbacks when your planet is a disc sitting on the back of four elephants that stands on the back of a turtle that is flying in space. Sometimes one elephant will have an itch. If it's an itchy back, he'll just rub his back against the disc you're standing on, you probably won't notice it. But if he has an itchy ear, they'll shake their heads, and that causes minor earthquakes. People on other forms of planets have to worry about plate tectonics, but in a proper disc shaped world, you only have to worry about one plate, the one you're living on.

Some astrotheorists have concluded that there are round worlds in the universe, almost perfectly spherical, and they're trapped in an orbit around a star and not the other way around, as is normal. These astrotheorists believe that not only do these spherical round worlds exist, but they're populated by people! "Impossible!" announced one of the leading scientific minds of the universe, Dr. Mustrum Ridcully, (DThau, DM, BS, DMn, DG, DD, DMPhil, DMS, DCM, DW & BElL.*) Archchancellor of the Unseen University.

"I agree that spherical 'round worlds' exist," said Doctor Ridcully, "but it is simply impossible that they would be populated by rational beings. Walking for any length of time in a straight line would bring you right back around to where you started. A circumstance likely to cause madness in anyone who has ever experienced it. Imagine: no elephants to hold your world steady, no turtle to carry you safely through the stars. Instead, your little sphere is caught in an endless, dreary orbit... dreadful, simply dreadful!"

(*Doctor of Thaumatology, Doctor of Magic, Bachelor of Sortilege, Doctor of Magianism, Doctor of Gramarye, Doctor of Divination, Doctor of Magical Philosophy, Doctor of Morbid Spellbinding, Doctor of Condensed Metaphysics, Doctor of Wizardry, Bachelor of Eldritch Lacemaking)

<><><><><><>֎<><><><><><>

Looking up from the brand-new Discworld Almanac (Year of the Querulous Megapode), Nick Worblehat-Stein, the young Duke of Wægn, asked his wife, "You've been to round worlds, do people go insane walking in a straight line on round worlds?"

"We've been through this. Yes, people go insane on round worlds, but not for reasons that Ridcully mentions. I read that article too," said his wife Octavia, the Duchess of Wægn. She looked up from their nursing son, "people on the round world I was fostering on would go to jail if they couldn't walk a straight line."

Nick loves the Discworld Almanac, so much information! So much entertainment! And such soft paper! "It says there's going to be a turtle roll in spring!"

"Yes, dear, a comet or something."

"Yes! Comet Cobbler Joining I-Ecks." Nick is one of the very few people to have ever seen the great space turtle A'Tuin, he actually flew in space with A'Tuin. Ever since he actually got to see A'Tuin and save the entire world from being eaten, Nick has been a "space nut" and he looks for any news regarding his giant friend.

"That's nice, dear, now hang the almanac in the privy, we have Hogswatch to get ready for."

"Yes, dear..." Nick shouldn't complain. They have a magically heated outhouse, the only one in the Ramtop mountains. The snow swirled around outside as he hung the Almanac on the nail on the privy then he watched the snow fall on his farm before going back into the cottage. It's Hogswatch time in the mountains!

Hogswatch! That merry, mystical time of joy and happiness celebrated in the cabbage covered Sto Plains, the craggy Ramtop Mountains, mysterious Überwald and all places in between. It's even celebrated on the lost continent of XXXX. The joy of the approaching holiday encompassed the mountain communities of the tiny kingdom of Lancre and adding to the joy of the Duke and Duchess of Wægn, a son! He will turn one month old when the Hogfather comes down the chimney on Hogswatch Eve. When the word got out that the Duke and Duchess returned from foreign parts with a baby, everyone had to go to their cottage to see the baby and hear the tales.

Gifts and food baskets filled the house and very often visitors arrived with garland or other Hogswatch decorations to brighten up the holiday. The mountain people opened their hearts to Nick and Octavia, their generosity brought tears of gratitude to the new parents. The people of Tallywiffle County listened over and over to their stories of how Marlon was born, never tiring of the story and not believing a single word. Tales of foreign parts, dragons, pirates, searching armies, escaping from dangerous creatures, it was so preposterous! But why would their duke and duchess lie to them? Then they laid the most unbelievable tale on the people of Lancre. They said that they knew practically nothing of Hogswatch.

How is such a thing possible? Hogswatch is a nearly universal holiday for over half of the people who live on the discworld. For Octavia she knew a little about it but not every foster family she lived with celebrated it. She usually spent the holiday with her stepfather, an orangutan (due to a magical accident) and they spent the holiday at the Unseen University library eating bananas and banana cream pie.

Pommeraie de la Montesquieu "Nick" Worblehat-Stein, Duke of Wægn, is royalty, but he's not posh. He was born in the gutter, and it went downhill from there. For young Pommy Stein, Hogswatch was the day the pennies stop. He grew up a street urchin, and he begged for pennies and picked through garbage to survive. During the Hogswatch holiday shopping season, the people of Ankh-Morpork were generous with their pennies, but on Hogswatch Day the pennies stopped. People didn't go out that day, then after that they were their normal grouchy, miserly selves for another year. It was confusing to a motherless six-year-old boy who was abandoned by his father, and the only thing that kept him alive through those wet, miserable Ankh-Morpork winters was an old wool blanket and his best friend, a talking dog.

Queen Magrat heard those stories from Nick and Octavia themselves and decided that she would not allow that in her royal court. The Duke and Duchess of Wægn must revel in the holiday joy. In fact, she enlisted the help of a talking dog. Gaspode, Nick's best friend, became a spy for the queen, telling her what Nick and Octavia needed most for Hogswatch. "Yer highness, the only complaint other than the baby interrupting their mating pattern, is that they don't want to go to official functions because they don't know what to wear."

"Thank you doggy, you were a great help," and the queen handed Gaspode his pay, a raw steak.

Not long after the birth of Marlon and their return to Creel Springs, Queen Magrat had a Royal Baby shower for the next Duke of Wægn. The men and women of the court gathered, the women in the Queen's chambers, the men in the castle drawing room, which looked remarkably like a corner pub. Gaspode was welcome in both celebrations. The men were throwing darts and tossing back ale when Nick stood up to the line to throw. He's already scored 475 points, he just needs 26 to win. "Are you ready for the holidays in your little cottage, yer grace?" asked Lord Harcourt, the exchequer of the kingdom. Lord Harcourt may be in his 80s but he can still add, subtract and hold his pint.

"We have a tree and a dozen fairies and Octavia is decorating the living room to mimic the great hall and throne room with pine boughs and glitter." Then he threw a five, a one, and a double ten to win. Darts was Nick's top skill, he fed himself for a couple of years through his play.

"And what else, my boy?" asked Lord Baltimore, head of intelligence for the king and the only other duke in the kingdom. He governed the Duchy of Pellingham on the rimward side of Lancre. Like Wægn, the Duchy of Pellingham was long and narrow, a buffer-zone between Lancre and the rest of the discworld. Nick liked Lord Baltimore, their duchies were nearly identical and, like Nick, Lord Baltimore actively encouraged the witches in his duchy and he even financed their coven gatherings.

Nick looked surprised. "There's more?"

"There's more?" echoed a small wire-haired terrier curled up in front of the fireplace.

"My dear lad, there is so much more!" chuckled Lord Cadence, Baron of Thrash and Prime Minister. Thrash is the Barony widdershins of Wægn that contains the now all important train station in Hot Dang.

"You act like you've never seen a Hogswatch before," said Lord Laird, lead lord in the house of lords and the Count of Glasnost.

"Not in our neighborhood," growled Gaspode, now getting up and stretching.

"To be honest, no. We didn't celebrate Hogswatch in the Shades," said Nick. He wasn't sure if the dignified gentlemen of the court knew that the Shades were the darkest slums on the disk. Nick never said much about his life before meeting Octavia. He's not ashamed of growing up an orphan in the streets of Ankh-Morpork. In that school of hard knocks, he earned the highest honors; he lived. These powdered, pompous lords who grew up eating from China with silver utensils would never understand eating from trash cans with your fingers, homelessness, begging for pennies, and watching childhood friends die in the gutter.

"There's so much more," said Lord Slipspring, viscount of Stormchester and head of security. "The household decorations simply set the stage!" Nick didn't like Slipspring, he's always pushing the king to build up a larger standing army to protect the borders. He was always claiming that foreign agents were aching to invade Lancre for its natural resources. The primary natural resource in Lancre is lumber. There is one small iron mine, two coal mines, a salt mine, and several exploratory mines up on Copperhead Mountain. Other than that, there are potatoes and steep roadways. Just to raise the ire of Lord Slipspring, Nick would always counter his arguments with a cry to spend the security money on local police, based on Ankh-Morpork's Night Watch, to end the thieves and bandits that line up on dark roads waiting for travelers. While Lord Slipspring envisions enemy battalions at the border, there are actual bandits in the forests preying on innocent farmers and other travelers.

"We only have three rooms in our cottage, living room, nursery, and bedroom," said Nick, still confused at the lords' call for more. "Are we to decorate the outhouse also?"

They were not laughing at the idea of decorating the outhouse; they were laughing at the thought of living in a three-room cottage, and the only people not laughing at that remark were Nick and King Verance II. The king was raised here in this castle but he and Queen Magrat have been guests at Nick's cottage and found it to be filled with love, laughter and fellowship and he much preferred spending a night on the couch in Nick and Octavia's cottage instead of a moment in any of the cold, stone mansions of the rest of his court. In fact, most of the members of his court owned a second house in Lancre, Nick instead would run (or fly) the twenty miles to the castle when summoned.

"The Wednesday before Hogswatch is Woodpile Wednesday. That's when you share the extra wood from your woodpile with those in need," said the King. "But don't look so crestfallen. I know you, Sir Nick, you'd share your wood pile until your family freezes. This year you need to monitor how much wood your family uses in a winter, so you know what you can afford to share next year."

"Wise advice," said Nick, who was upset with himself that he missed the opportunity to share with his people.

"There are the Hogswatch cards," said Lord Baltimore, "The idea is to hand out gaily decorated postcards to your neighbors and friends. It would give you a chance to check up on your people in need. How did you not know this?"

"I grew up in Ankh-Morpork," said Nick.

"There is no excuse for ignorance, m'boy," said Lord Cadence, the Prime Minister, as he puffed himself up.

"But in this case, we'll make an exception," said Lord Harcourt, the exchequer, the kingdom's treasurer. Nick liked him because he worked actively with Nick to straighten out the mess that previous holders of his title had made of the Wægn accounts. Through hard work, they discovered that the Duchy had a substantial sum of money in its account and Nick has some ideas of how to improve the Duchy in particular, the center of the duchy, Tallywiffle county. "Let's start with the King's dinner," continued Lord Harcourt, "are you planning to wear the same denim and flannel outfit that you grace us with normally?"

"It's what I got," said Nick defensively. It's true, all he has are denim trousers and flannel shirts and the occasional wool kilt. They last, they're warm, and none of his patients worried that their witch delivered their baby in blue denim rather than black wool like a normal witch. Nick was once told that a rich man didn't have to worry about what to wear, so as far as Nick is concerned, he's fabulously wealthy.

Actually, Nick and Octavia are quite wealthy, but they were raised without money, so they leave the gold they accumulated alone for their children. In their mountain, Bear Mountain, lies a redoubt that only he and Octavia can access, and in there is a stash of gold coins and ingots that they earned from acting as interim emperor and empress of the Agatean Empire. For the Agateans, they earned the average wage of a middle management professional and were paid in solid gold Agatean coin because gold is so abundant there. If they were the true emperor and empress, they would have been paid in a wildly more valuable coin in Agatea, tin. Agatean coins are not legal outside of Agatea, but they are solid gold, so Nick and Octavia could take them to an assayer and sell them for their gold content, converting them to Ankh-Morpork dollars. On average, each coin is worth $1,550 Ankh-Morpork dollars, or three times the annual wages of a working man in the kingdom of Lancre.

"Don't worry, your grace, if you ask the hog father, he will bring you a new set of clothing for Hogswatch," chided Lord Cadence.

<><><><><><>֎<><><><><><>

The next day was a cold, snowy day. Three men emerged from Nick and Octavia's bookstore in Creel Springs carrying a couch on their heads. They weren't movers, they weren't even from the area. They were from the far fabled continent of XXXX, or Four Ecks and they got to Creel Springs through the scientific marvel known as L-Space.

Have you ever gone to one of those awesome old bookstores that have a treasure every few feet of shelf space to keep your interest? Did you every stay longer than you allowed time and lost yourself in the stacks where more and more written marvels called to you? You were teetering on the edge of L-Space. If you had a few years of Library Science training and maybe a small bit of magical knowledge to help you navigate, you could have gone anywhere!

L-Space is based on the Scientific principle that Knowledge = Power, and Books = Knowledge, therefore Books = Power. Like Plutonium, if you put a large amount of books in one location, they reach out to each other and marvelous things happen. Given enough power you will find your collection of books is connected to another collection, and another and another because all proper libraries and collections are connected to each other, and with proper navigation you can read any book that ever was or ever will be written, and travel anywhere ending up at any time. A good bookstore is merely a genteel black hole that can read.

The fellows carrying the couch on their heads followed Nick, whose arms were loaded with packages as he lead the way to his cottage. The lead couch bearer tapped on the front door of the little cottage and when it opened, he cried, "G'day mate! Any chance we can find a drop of Hogswatch cheer?"

"BRUCE!" shrieked Octavia joyfully. "Come in! Come in!" Laughing, she hugged her Exian friend. It was Bruce Dinkum, the Head Librarian at the Bugarup University library and a couple of helpers who also had the name Bruce. The couch in question was the ancient and most honorable throne of the Agatean Empire. Instead of following the Bruces into the cottage, Nick ducked through an access door and found himself under the cottage where they stored the food and their canned goods. He left the packages, grabbed a box, and carried it upstairs.

"Here you go mates," called Nick. The box was a case of Exian beer, ice cold.

"Ahh, right, you are mate!" said Bruce with a smile as Nick opened a can and handed it to him.

"This comes at a price," said Nick as he handed the can to Bruce.

"Bloody hell! Ok, what is it?"

"You join us for dinner on Hogswatch evening and bring Sheila."

"You charge me a mighty high price for a beer that you took out of me own library. All right, mate, we'll be there. What's on the menu?"

Nick shrugged. "Pork?" Pork is on every Hogswatch menu, but Octavia said cheerily, "the queen is keeping the menu secret."

"Queen...? Aww crikey mate! I'm going to have to wear a clean shirt?" He set his beer down and gently lifted Marlon out of Octavia's hands. "Well... if I get to snuggle with this little squirt, it'll be worth it." Marlon was wearing a festive red jumper with white trim and a little Hogswatch piglet was embroidered on the front.

"Wait until you see the decorations," said Octavia as Bruce, Bruce, and Bruce, with Marlon in his arms, sat down on the throne of the Agatean Empire. "They really go crazy, it's amazing. We were just there, and the castle was covered with decorations, but the queen said they were only half done decorating. And our gate house is free. Axemir and Eryri are on their honeymoon, so if you and Shelia want to stay the night, the house is open."

"Shelia may go for that."

Nick went back outside to finish helping with the animals while the Bruces watched out the window at the snow swirling around. Apparently it doesn't snow in Four Ecks. "Bloody hell!" gasped Bruce. "Shiela is not going to believe this."

"We'll treat you to a horse-drawn sleigh ride," said Octavia as she began to prepare dinner.

Duleigh
Duleigh
662 Followers