Entangled Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Jessica, come in." He tapped something on the keyboard then stood. He moved around the desk to take her hands. "How are you feeling?" She looked down, blinked back fresh tears. "I'm sorry, that was a stupid question."

"No." She tried to smile. "I appreciate the concern." He drew her to the couch. She sat on the edge of the cushion. "Thank you for the clothes. I feel a little more human."

"I wish there was more I could do to help. I feel somewhat responsible for what's happened." She shook her head. "He is my son."

"It's his fault, not yours."

"Do you want to talk about it?" His tone was so gentle for a moment she was tempted.

Instead she shook her head as tears gathered in her throat. She swallowed hard. "I should probably get going. Thank you for looking after me." She tried to stand but Marcus' hand on her arm stopped her.

"It's pretty late." Jess glanced at the window. He was right, the sun had set hours before. "You should stay the night."

"I have to work tomorrow," she said softly.

"Call in sick," he said with a little pat on her arm. "I doubt anyone would blame you for taking a few days for yourself after what happened." He smiled slightly. "You can stay here if you'd like. I wouldn't mind having some company and no one will bother you."

"Are you sure?"

"Who would think you'd be with me?"

He was right, it would be the last place any one would think to look. "You don't mind?"

"Not at all," he said as he stood. She watched him go back to his desk, fiddle with the mouse, then look up at her with a smile. "Why don't you send your supervisor a quick note so you don't have to worry about that tomorrow."

She got up from the couch and went around the desk, he stepped out of her way and waited while she brought up her personal email. Her eyes scanned the inbox quickly. There was nothing from Eric. She sent her supervisor a quick note then closed the window.

"Now that that's out of the way we should get you something to eat." Marcus waved toward the door. Jess skirted around the desk then waited for Marcus to take the lead. "I had the cook make chicken soup for you," he announced as they walked through the house to the kitchen.

***

Jess' phone buzzed breaking the stream of her narrative. Blake sighed heavily as she pulled it from her pocket.

"Son of a bitch," she murmured as she scrambled to her feet.

"What is it?" he asked as he followed suit.

"I'm late," she said as she took a quick step back.

"For what?" He reached out to catch her arm.

"Training," she sneered the word. "As if a person needs training for the kind of fucking he likes."

"Wait—"

She tugged her arm free. "I can't." She threw her hands up. "When he sees the recording from this morning—"

Blake stepped in her path as she tried to walk back to the resort. "Just answer one question before you go."

"Fine but make it quick."

"How did he talk you into this?"

She stared up at him for a second then closed her eyes. "Have you ever been in a place where you felt so lost, so broken—" Her fists clenched at her sides. "So unloved and alone that you just didn't fucking care anymore?" Blake opened his mouth but nothing came out. Her eyes opened and his heart clenched in his chest to see the sadness brimming there. "That's what getting that fucking letter did to me." She took a breath before continuing. "Bottom line, I gave up. Nothing mattered."

"And he took advantage of that," Blake said softly.

"Exactly."

"We're going to get you out of here—"

"You can't." She stepped around him, made it about five feet away from him and turned back. "Even if what you're saying is true it's too late." She hurried back to the building, leaving Blake staring after her. As he watched the bright white dress disappear he reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone. He leaned against the rocks as he brought up his contacts and hit the call button.

Eric answered on the third ring. "Hey Blake, shouldn't you be scuba diving or something?"

Blake reached up and pinched the bridge of his nose for a second. "I found her," he said softly. "I found Jess."

"What?" Eric's voice croaked. "Where the hell is she?"

"You have to swear not to do anything when I tell you."

"Fucking tell me or I swear—"

"You have to promise," Blake pressed. "She's not safe yet."

"Jesus," Eric sucked in a breath. "I promise."

"Francois' compound."

"How did she—" Eric whispered. "Why would she—"

"It was dad," Blake answered. "He duped her into believing you had broken things off and talked her into coming here."

"Here?" Eric asked loudly. "You're there? What the fuck are you doing there?"

"Don't be stupid. Why does anyone come here?"

"You're an idiot," Eric growled. "Get her out of there and bring her home."

"You know I can't do that."

"Put her on a fucking plane and—"

"I can't. She signed a fucking contract," Blake hissed. "Do you want us both to disappear?"

"Dad's contract?"

"Of course," Blake said. "You can't blame her. She was lied to."

"I don't blame her, we both know what he's like." The loud thump of Eric's fist pounding his desk echoed over the line. "I should have kept her safe."

"Did you know he'd do something like this?"

"No but—"

"We'll get her out," Blake said loudly. "Call Malcolm, we're going to need him."

"Okay," Eric replied. "How long are you supposed to be there?"

"Four more nights," Blake said as he straightened and turned toward the building.

"Don't make any changes to your reservation until you hear from Malcolm." The line went quiet for a moment. "And keep an eye on her."

"Okay," Blake said then disconnected the line and started off toward the building.

This was going to be the longest week of his life.