Equals

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She was a stone, silent and shapeless in the neverending sea.

Tears rushed out at the depth of this betrayal -- her own mind, her own mind! -- and then they were gone. A part of herself swung out into empty space. No time was there, no distance, no connection. She felt the cold pull of it, the purity of it. There she could let go of all the pretence; all the struggle, all the pain. She could just let go. It was frightening, but only in a distant way; the scent of the goddess was near.

Ruth was slipping. She knew she should resist: Something big was at stake. Something huge. But she could not say what it was. Could not quite put her finger on it. And there had been so many shoulds in her life, vast mountains of shoulds that she could never seem to overcome, no matter how hard she tried. All those shoulds had only ever caused her suffering. Ruth was tired of suffering.

Instead she forced her eyes open and let it in, all of it. Willed it in. She drank and drank from the goddess's eyes, filling herself with truth, feeling it push out the lies she had gripped tightly all her life, feeling them exit through her skin. She would break from the sham that was her life. It had all been a mistake, a terrible mistake, but she could fix that now. A new way was opening up. She would become less -- but also purer, brighter, more concentrated. She would have purpose, at last. She would know a kind of pride. She would cease striving in vain, and be what she was always meant to be.

And yet she was afraid.

How terrible must the sculptor's chisel seem to the stone! Her precious flesh will be judged, she knows; whole limbs and organs cut away, she knows. And what if the sculptor should strike a false blow? How could anyone bear it? Ah, but it makes no difference in the end. It must happen, this ordeal, to reach that longed-for place of dignity. It must happen in order to become good.

She breathed in, and it came to her like the outline of a familiar object in the day's first light: No false blow was possible, because they came from the goddess, every one of them, and the goddess was truth.

Her face was lifted up; she lifted it higher to accept it. Her eyes were open wide; she opened them wider to accept it. She breathed in once more, and accepted it, and she touched herself then, and was free.


12