Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3)

Story Info
Follows Eric's first adventures away from home and his journey to the Union Academy.
159.6k words
4.85
2.6k
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3)

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

------------------------

Description: Fleet Cadet, Eric Olafson (Volume 3 GC 29) This is the 29th book the GC Series and the third volume in the Adventures of Eric Olafson, a Neo Viking from Planet Nilfeheim. Book GC 5: Eric Olafson, Neo Viking focus is on Eric's upbringing and his home planet. It introduces us to his character and several events and conditions that form and shape the young man he has become. Fleet Cadet, Eric Olafson follows Eric's first adventures away from home and his journey to the Union Academy.

------------------------

Forward

*Foreword by the Author*

This is the third volume in the Eric Olafson saga and the 29th book in the Galactic Chronicles Saga.

While the first volume, 'Eric Olafson, Neo Viking' tells us about how Eric grows up on the harsh and cold world of Nilfeheim. As much as he wants to deny it, he is a true child of that world. While he grew up and faces his first challenges and me his first teachers. It also reflected on the awakening of his secret desire.

The second volume, 'Eric Olafson, First Journeys' follows Eric as he steps of hos home world for the first time but it does not focus on Eric alone. It introduces many of his future friends.

In volume two he was also accepted at the United Stars Fleet Academy.

Eric being Eric, his first days at the Academy weren't anything but eventless.

Chosen to be part of a diplomatic miission to entice the Yokuta to consider Union membership, Eric was tangled up in a Nogoll terror attack, the culmination of actions of an Human purist and a Kermac plot to turn their loss of the Nogoll into an intelligence victory.

The Year is 5017 (Old Terran Time) Eric is 198 cm tall and weights almost exactly 90 kilos. Right now he very short regulation cut blonde hair.He has gray eyes and some say he moves with the same purpose and grace as a Nubhir Wolf.

The Colonists of Nilfeheim received genetic tailoring before they left Earth to better adapt to their harsh new world. Like everyone from Nilfeheim he has a greater tolerance to freezing temperatures and is able to stay submerged under water for a very long time, has a set of gills and eyes that are adapted to see well under water thanks to a second set of clear eyelids. His muscles are denser than that of a standard human, allowing him to swim longer and deeper. Due to that he has greater endurance and is much stronger than a standard human of his size. He left his home world seeking to become a Star ship captain in the Union Fleet.

He loves fish, has a very clear sense of honor and hates unfair situations. Even though he doesn't like to admit it, he carries the same short temper of his father and is more often than not ready to face a challenge with his fists or weapons. This and a secret desire he tries so hard to suppress, get him in more trouble than the average guy.

Eric and the other cadets have just returned to the Academy on Arsenal II. The climax of the events that culminated in Eric fighting Kermac agents in a mail processing center underneath the Yakuta space port prevented a potential catastrophe, however two cadets had paid with their lives. (see Eric Olafson, First Journeys)

Yours truly

Vanessa Ravencroft

------------------------

Chapter 1: Leaving Arsenal

The memorial service for Rodney Barack and Deadan took place almost immediately after our return to the Academy. It was a solemn affair and it brought home to me just how serious the affair on Archilerb really was. I was certain the affair was far from over as far as it concerned the fleet, the Yokuta and the level of hostilities between Union and the Galactic Council.

I shot two of the Kermac bastards but I knew there had to be more. The Yokuta I fought were still under psionic control after I had killed the two I had encountered. While that was the job of the PSI Corps and NAVINT and not that of a cadet. Out of that reason I was certain I would not be briefed with any follow ups.

All cadets were wearing dress uniform for this memorial service. They had us assembled on one of the lawns, that like gigantic slices of green pizza, separated by the dark red concrete applicant paths centered on the Academy tower in the very center of this pressurized installation, protected by a transparent Duranium dome.

Beyond the dome I could see the titanic shape of the USS Shetland. This dreadnought made lof millions of tons of molecule compacted Ultronit, dwarfed the Academy. Yet just as we had started to gather, she was starting to rise into the sky. Pushed against the planets gravitation by bright green glowing artigrav generators.

She soon disappeared into the dense sulfuric yellow clouds.

I sighed and directed my attention to my friends and to the sad affair ahead. Potsema, the female Garbini tree polyp being a methane breather could hold her breath for days, and Ninio was able to willingly slow down his metabolism, this is why they survived the ordeal being packed into plastic by a robot while forced to let it happen by armed mind controlled Yakuta. Rodney, being a normal human being could not survive sealed into a tough plastic skin, without being able to breathe he suffocated and died a painfull death. Deadan had been killed by Kermac agents using Psionic means. Not that I knew all that much about any of my new friends, I had virtually no contact to Rodney and only exchanged a few words with Deadan, yet their death felt like a great loss to me. I felt guilty and wondered if I should have done something earlier.

Two metal coffins were set on a raised dais and each of them was covered with the Union flag. We, the seven surviving members of that group stood separated from the rest of the cadets on the side of the coffin stand. Admiral Stokes and two high ranking officers waited in silence until everyone had found their spot and stood in attention. He then read an eulogy talking about the lives and the families of both cadets and gave a brief account of our mission and the events that lead to the death of the two cadets. After that he motioned to me and said. "Cadet Lieutenant Olafson was chosen by the group to speak a few words."

Before the proceedings Admiral Webb had asked us if we wanted to say a few words and the others had elected me. It was a great honor but also a quite difficult and emotional task. I had only a few minutes to prepare for it and it was the first time, hopefully the last I had to do something like that. Admiral, Officers and Instructors and fellow cadets, it is not easy for me to find the right words. Standing behind the lectern looking in all the faces I shivered and begun.

"I never was asked to do something like that before. I am, like most of you just over a week in this Academy and it is not enough time to really get to know someone. We had the great honor to participate in a real diplomatic mission. I am sure Deadan was one of the instrumental factors, with his great knowledge of political matters that the Yokuta decided to begin the membership application process. Rodney was quiet and didn't say much and if he said something it was usually to ask for some extra food. He was the only human in our group who really enjoyed Yokuta food and music. Both cadets were well liked and we going to miss their presence for sure. May Odin or whatever deities they worshiped welcome them in a better place."

I lowered my head and then stepped down.

Deadan's body so I learned was to be shipped home and Barack's coffin would be shot into space as his family requested.

The instructors postponed all training for that day and allowed everyone to reflect and talk to others.

That evening I learned that Potsema and Ninio wanted to quit the Academy. Ninio told me that he felt responsible for the death of the two and Potsema told she was not cut out to see friends die. Even when I argued that Ninio discovered the Kermac plot and doing so saved a lot of lives, he had made up his mind. He gave me a hug. "Eric I owe you my life and I will never forget you. You have become a very good friend in this short time, but this is not for me. I decided to pay my respect to the parents of Deadan and then become a musician. I realize now, this military life is not for me. Plemo is different; he wants revenge now and has signed up for the Marines. Potsema is going with me; I think we will become the first Elly Garbini couple in union history. Don't ask me how this is going to work, we don't know that either, yet."

Potsema also gave me one of her trademark squiggles and the two went, to finalize their decision officially. I wondered if I would ever see or hear of them again. Plemo also said his good bye and suddenly our group that had been ten beings thrown together by chance was reduced to four."

The next day we were separated by the Black Nogoll Instructor." I am sorry to do that to you, but training groups are always ten."

We had a few moments to say good bye to each other and promised to keep in contact, knowing deep down that we would probably not see or hear from each other again.

I was assigned to a new group, as one of them had quit the other day.

By now they too had formed initial friendships and I was the newcomer and felt somewhat excluded. The next days were filled with class room and drilling exercises. We learned how to march, stand in attention and salute correctly. Class room and drill was only interrupted by physical exercise and formal dinners.

Five days had passed since I had returned from Archilerb and still I barely knew the names of the others in my dorm group. As every morning this day begun with breakfast in the big hall and I started to get used to the drill and class room routine and was not surprised when instructors came in, hovering on their floating platforms above our heads, carrying PDDs in clip board mode and started called names. Mine was called right away and I was sent into a nondescript unfurnished waiting room with about 200 other cadets. I did not see anyone I knew.

A gray skinned Shaill, a semi rigid intelligent mollusk being from a Star system far in the Coreward sector wearing its version of a black Navy Uniform floated into the room on his own hover sled and said: "Listen up, Cadets. This group is complete now. You are going to board transport 342 to be shipped out to Camp Idyllic."

The mollusk floated towards an exit and said. "Everyone gather your gear, clear your bunk and meet me at 09:15 hours at Rim Exit 12." Then he passed out little plastic cards with the number 342 on it. "Don't lose them and be on time."

"Camp Idyllic?" A greenish skinned humanoid next to me asked.

I shrugged:"I have no clue. But it does sound nice"

A humanoid completely shrouded in a green monk like garment spoke with a deep voice: "Camp Idyllic is one of the basic training camps the Navy operates. It is located in the Nardir System, one hundred and twelve light years from here on a garden world called Green Eden."

"Oh boy." A massive looking human, two heads taller than me, grunted. "I heard of Camp Idyllic. My brother went to Camp Allure last year. He said it was pure hell and he heard that Camp Idyllic is supposed to be the worst."

As I packed my gear from my locker into the tube shaped sack with carry straps, I noticed crews of civilian employees and robots cleaning the dorm, stripping beds and removing name tags from lockers. I was certain we would not return to these dorms. Rim Exit twelve was exactly opposite to the main entrance and while I waited before the entrance I saw orange dressed academy aspirants stream from the main entrance and fill the applicant roads. The green skinned human said."I guess we passed the first hurdle."

I agreed."It looks like that. I wonder if they do the inmate routine to them as well."

He shook his head. "No I think I heard the Nogoll instructor say something about the Mutiny routine. Whatever that is."

The Shaill officer appeared checked his PDD and collected the number cards, and then he herded us onto a slide belt that carried us to a waiting transport ship. Twenty minutes later the military version of a small space bus left Arsenal II.

The shrouded man now sat next to me in the starboard seat row. His garment had an attached hood and he wore it pulled over his head obscuring him completely, except for two eyeholes. The massive humanoid sat in the seat on my other side.

The deck plates vibrated slightly as the Leyland's ISAH drive kicked the ship past the trans-luminal threshold. We now traveled in quasi-space a thin layer between the Planck Universe and the Hawkins Omniverse.

The muscular strong guy glanced at the hooded being." Why are you hiding your face under that hood?"

"Because I am Narth."

"I never heard of Narths. Are you ashamed of your face or something?"

The green skinned one spoke from across the Isle:" Limbur let him be. He is a Narth. You don't want to mess with a Narth."

Limbur pointed at his massive arms. "Do you think someone with guns like these is afraid of a goon in a hood?"

The green one seemed to know Limbur raised his hands. "Physical strength doesn't mean much when you're dealing with a Narth. Trust me on that. Now relax and come with me. I found out this ship has a refreshment bar on the lower deck. I'm buying."

Limbur readily agreed and the two left towards the back.

I was quite tired but I turned to the hooded being:" What is a Narth?"

He didn't move his shrouded head as he spoke with that deep voice."It is very complicated to answer your question in terms you would understand. One is Narth. Narth are very old and to many beings our true nature is unsettling or even harmful. This is why Narth chooses to cover oneselves."

I wasn't sure if I said anything to him after that, since I fell asleep even without the sleep inducer.

------------------------

Chapter 2: Green Eden

Green Eden appeared to be a beautiful green, white and blue sphere. From space it looked as inviting as any garden world. The transport descended through moderate clouds and approached a heavy forested land mass.

We landed on a simple dirt field that had been cleared in the jungle. At the edge of the dirt field I saw a collection of primitive looking buildings made of wood.

There were no machines, no robots, no ships or vehicles and no one waiting for us. Someone from the flight deck addressed us via the com system: "Welcome to Camp Idyllic. Grab your gear and debark through the rear air lock. Hurry up, I have a Schedule to keep and two more transports to make. Wait here and someone will be with you shortly."

Everyone debarked and just as the last cadet stepped of the ramp, the Airlock closed and the transport ship climbed back into space.

It was very humid and hot. The air was pungent with the stench of rotten plants. Strange sounds came from the surrounding jungle. Small insects buzzed all around us. The exposed dirt on the landing field was reddish in color and very moist. It stuck to the soles of my boots.

I counted one hundred and fifty cadets and everyone was standing there waiting for something to happen, but even after almost two hours no one showed up to tell us what to do.

The crowd of cadets became a little restless.

Limbur scratched his polished scalp. "Now what? Are we supposed to do something? Isn't anyone coming?"

His green skinned friend, his name I had learned was Wintsun appeared to like the environment judging by the smile on his face, but the smile vanished as he replied to his friend. "I don't sense or hear any sentient being in the vicinity. While I am not a full telepath, I am usually able to detect sentient minds. I feel nothing and I begin to wonder myself."

The Narth who was standing next to me agreed: "One cannot sense any sentient or coherent thoughts, but there are life forms out there considering this group as aviable source of sustenance right now."

The group became quite worried after he said that and the word spread. At least three more hours passed and still no one showed up. The mood of the group has deteriorated even more. Some complained about the heat, the moisture, the insects and no place to sit down.

I picked up the Fleet issue garment bag that held my spare uniforms and personal gear, shouldered it and started walking towards the buildings at the other end of the landing field. The Narth did the same and followed me.

"Where do you think you're going?" Asked Limbur.

"I decided to inspect those buildings and then wait there. It seems to be a better place to wait than here in the open. I expect the sun to set soon."

Narth didn't turn: "The Neo Viking's plan of action is logical.One shall follow his lead."

Wintsun took his bag and said:" Can I come along?"

I shrugged." Sure you can. I am not in charge here."

"Actually according to regulations, someone has to be in charge and since you are doing something and you are a Cadet Lieutenant you are in charge."

Limbur followed us too.

A cadet with bluish skin and coppery almost metallic shimmering red hair objected: "You can't leave. We were ordered to remain here and wait."

"Wonderful. Why don't you wait and let me do my thing? "I said and kept on walking. He yelled after us but I simply ignored him.

About two clicks away from the point where we landed, at the long end of the crude landing field we reached the three buildings I had seen from the air. The jungles edge was about 200 meters further away and the cleared area packed with pebbles and rocks. I did not see any recent tracks, neither of machines, humans or animals for that matter. Anyone or anything not flying would have to make tracks in that surface.

"What is so interesting about that dirt?" Limbur wanted to know as I squatted down and touched the ground to gauge its moisture

"Tracks I am looking for tracks. If you look behind you can see the ones we made. Around here there are no recent tracks and the ones I see are very old and almost disappeared, I think those triangular ones are made by an animal."

Narth also knelt down. "Interesting, by evaluating the surface marks left behind by others you can actually deduct surface movement. It is quite logical. How do you come to the conclusion these surface marks you do see are old?"

"Look at our tracks in the dirt. They are crisp and well defined; I can see the sole imprints of our boots and probably deduct shoe size, gait distance and weight of the person making the tracks. Limbur is the biggest of us and his tracks are deeper than the other, his steps are further apart. Now over here we have a few vehicle marks, made by something on tracks I think, but the edges are round and washed in, by rain and wind. Now I don't know the rain and wind patterns of this world but they have to be at least several days old, since I see no foot prints. I think these tracks are weeks or month old and the lighter foot traffic is already obliterated."

Narth touched his own foot print." This is fascinating."

Limbur agreed." I didn't even really notice the tracks until you pointed them out to us. I never knew you could read so much out of them."

Wintsun shrugged. "Of course everything leaves tracks. Did you never go hunting?"

Limbur smacked Wintsun in a friendly manner. "Of course not, you know where I am from. Nothing ever leaves tracks in a big city on Duro Crete and slide ways."

Wintsun rubbed his side. "Yes I know your world. Three times the regular gravitation."

I shrugged. I guess if you look close enough you might even find tracks on Duro-Crete."

Narth said to me. "Will you tell me more about how you interpret tracks?"

"Yes gladly but maybe we should check out the buildings first and establish a base of operation stabilize our situation."

"One agrees with your assessment of our situation and will look forward when you further ones education in the interpretation of tracks."