Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3)

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I went back to the jungle's edge, climbed a tree and made myself comfortable to wait for the first light of day.

It was a miserable night and I felt stiff and cold. The bush that had stung me had left little bleeding wounds that itched like hell over my hands and face. I almost nodded off, when I heard a faint metallic sound and then again, I closed my eyes and through all the mess and confusion of so many life forms around me emitting electrical nerve impulses. I clearly made out two upright walking beings. I only sensed their heads; it seemed the rest of their bodies did not emit anything. They were now close enough for me to open my eyes. Two men in battle armor and big blasters penetrated the thicket. They didn't look like marines and I saw no rank or unit designation. Perhaps they were responsible for the missing Instructors, pirates, spies or enemies of some kind. Somewhere in that general direction was the base and I doubted my Cadet friends were up to repulsing the attack of even one professional with full working battle armor. I needed to act fast, before they had a chance to activate their shields.

I jumped smashing my heels into the first and swinging my axe against the weapon hand of the other. He screamed both in pain and in panic while I went down with the first. Had he worn a helmet, I would have not been able to knock him out like that, he grunted in pain and went limb. Still on the move I took his gun. It was a fleet issue TKU and dialed it with my thumb to max aiming it at the wounded. "Drop your weapon and power down your suit. You can't establish your shields fast enough to deflect a Max level blast." I was certain he heard the faint beeping of me dialing the weapon to its highest setting. He held his cut hand but did not say anything just stared into the muzzle of the TKU

"I am not going to repeat myself mister."

Bright lights suddenly flooded the scene. A new voice out of the lights said. "Cadet, I am Commander Letsgo. These are instructors looking for you. You may lower your axe and the TKU"

I got to my feet and I saw a fleet officer and six marines in light battle armor step into the light.

I got up and saluted." Cadet Olafson, Sir."

The dark shadow behind the bright lights looked human and he stemmed his fists in his hips. "The Neo Viking, I know."

--""--

The real Camp Idyllic so it turned out was about hundred kilometers away from the landing field and the wooden houses.

It was a collection of buildings in the middle of the Jungle covered with soil and foliage, undetectable from above. The flier that brought the Commander, the Marines, the two instructors and me to this place hovered over a jumble of green moss covered rocks and fallen trees that turned out to be camouflage to a vehicle elevator as the scenery split in the middle and the flier descended on a platform into the underground base.

Without saying so much as five words to me, an Ensign in black uniform led me to a large hall The other cadets were already here and standing in the reception hall with green carpets and windows that allowed a view of the jungle and a lake that shimmered in the distance between tall trees and thick underbrush. All eyes turned to me as I entered, but no one spoke. Narth stood in the back and waved and I took the spot next to him and waited for whatever was about to happen. The Commander stepped behind a lectern and he was accompanied by a dark fur covered being to his left and a Pan Saran Officer to the right. Commander Letsgo looked less human than he did during the brief encounter in the dark jungle. His skin had a metallic dull color and he had neither ears nor a real nose. His head was completely hairless and the eyes looked like cybernetic implants.

"He is a Stellaris." I could hear Narth's whisper as if his lips where direct next to my ear, but he had not moved. "Bionetic engineered of Terran origin, to survive with minimal protection in deep space."

The Commander gave us all a long look then he began: "Good morning Cadets. I am Commander Letsgo and I am in command of this training facility. To my left is Commander Propeel. Some of you may recognize her to be a Nu-Uiit she is my Executive Officer. To my right you see Lieutenant Aurelius'; he is Pan Saran and your Chief Instructor.

"You will spend the next eight standard months on and around Camp Idyllic in Basic training. As the name suggests it is where you learn all the basics you need to know as members of this Fleet.

"You learn to be soldiers and officers. It is our job to educate, train, and inspire you cadets so/hat those who complete this graduate as commissioned leaders are also of character committed to the values of Duty, Honor, and Union and prepared for a career of professional excellence and service to the Nation as an officer in the United Stars Fleet. That means we must make sure that you are indeed officer material.

"The United Stars Fleet is unlike any other organization you might be familiar with. We are not a Club or Association, not a Corporation or a Church or whatever other civilian organizations there might be. The United Stars Fleet is one of the military arms of our union with many missions. We explore space, make sure the Union is safe from outside threats, and police the trade routes and the space inside Union space so commerce and peaceful ineraction between all members is possible.

"You are here to aspire to be more than soldiers. We want you to be scientists, diplomats, explorers and above all we want you to be officers. Perhaps you are sick and tired to hear us say and stress this world so much, but we want to drive it home to you that it is not a word but a condition, a way of life.

"As you probably noticed, many thousands applied with you and many more have done so at one of the 164 Academy satellites to become Fleet Officers. Of all those applicants only about 20 percent make it to the final year and graduate.

"As I mentioned before Instructing and teaching you is only a small part of what this Basic training camp is all about. We test character, abilities and personal values. Knowledge can be learned, skills can be taught but there are aspects to each personality already there, aspects that make each of you a distinguishable individual. The Fleet looks back at three centuries years of history and tradition. Many ways of finding good personnel and officers have been tried, using the combined experience and knowledge of all member species. Neural Uploads, Genetic engineering, Computronic psych and character simulations, mental prenatal conditioning, robots, cyborg, androids and combinations of all these methods have been tried and none yielded the same results as the training and selection program we are using now.

"Officers even more than enlisted are ambassadors, representatives of these traditions and values. We developed a complicated but proven process to weed out those unfit to wear this uniform and of course find those filling it out perfectly. The old saying goes like that: Fleet Officer uniforms come in all sizes for every shape, but still will fit only a chosen few."

He paused for a moment and scanned the room from left to right: "You were dropped off and left alone on the landing field. As some of you correctly guessed, It was a staged scenario in order for us to see how you adapt to new situations that have not been anticipated.

"You see, as an officer it is very likely you come across an unexpected situation in the course of your career. A situation not trained for, not covered in any regulation and still it is expected that you make the right decisions. It doesn't matter how much training one has or what regulations he or she knows. When it comes to the unknown it is just that, unknown and unprecedented.

"You had basically two options last night. Remain on the landing field or occupy the buildings. And both choices have been made. One group went to the buildings, broke locks, liberated equipment and damaged Fleet property, but they were warm, safe had food and shelter. The other group remained where they had been dropped off, sticking to the order exactly as given by the shuttle pilot. That group was cold, suffered a severe brake down in morale and had casualties. One leader used physical violence and verbal threats to gain obedience. The other simply took the initiative and was chosen. I am asking you which were the better solutions to the given situation?"

The commander pointed a finger at Swybin. "Why don't you answer me that question, Cadet?"

Swybin straightened his stanch and said: "The loss of personnel can be expected in hostile environment and a few dead men should not change the objectives their leader demands to be reached.

"Just like every commanding officer I expected casualties and I punished those disobeying to assure them that. Of course I was raised by an Admiral, my father. This is why only I was qualified to be in command. These are expendable troops after all. It is imperative that any soldier or service person carries out orders exactly as given. The common soldier cannot base his or her decision to follow and order on potential danger, even deadly threat. He or she must remain at post.

It is not important if that soldier is warm and well fed, out of harm's way or safe. It is however important that he keeps his post and obeys every order given by a Superior and thus assures said command officer's safety. The average foot soldier is expendable and that is what they are for. A person of my background is of course much more valuable, than a common as dirt average Joe cadet. I fully expect you will ask me to forgo much of this basic training and to join the ranks of Command staff and instructors right away."

He crossed his arms and looked very self-assured into the room. "I told you they would listen to me. It is too late to ask for any leniency."

Turning his attention back to Letsgo he concluded. "So without question my decisions were the correct ones. I am fully prepared to be a witness at the court-martial proceedings of this imbecile brutish Neo Viking Olafson, Sir."

The Commanders artificial looking face did not change its expression as he looked around and pointed at me.

"Cadet Swybin made his statement and answered my question. Now answer it as well."

"Sir, the pilot said, wait here and he did not specify were exactly we had to wait. Here could have meant the entire planet for all I know, he was a shuttle pilot after all As far as I knew it wasn't even a real order, just instructions. The Pilot did not identify himself with rank or name. He could have been a civilian employee.

In any case there were buildings only two klicks away. After no one came for hours, those buildings looked like the logical waiting place to me. Since I didn't know what delayed you, our instructors. In my opinion it was necessary to make the best of the situation. The buildings provided us with that option. Anyone looking for us would certainly look in those buildings, besides I posted guards that would have seen any approaching ship or search party.

It all really started when another Cadet started to quote regulations and hand books and general orders and all that." I sighed and said. "That matters little however as I accepted command and therefore I take full responsibility for the break in and the use of Fleet property. All the others acted under my instructions and orders, Sir."

"So you are willing to accept all responsibility for everything?"

"Yes Sir."

Swybin laughed with a snorting sound: "Wonderful, have Olafson arrested Sir. He has confessed and accepted his guilt. I believe a nice flogging is in order, before we hang him. Floggings are still on the books I believe." He laughed pleased and added. "Of course I will convey to my father how diligent you execute your post. I am sure the word of an Admiral has much weight when your next promotion will be discussed."

The Commander glanced at the blue skinned cadet. "How nice of you. So if I have that cadet arrested and punished you make sure I get a promotion?"

Swybin looked around to make sure everyone saw how important he was. "Arrangements can be made most certainly, Commander, My father is Rear Admiral Upper half Swybar, you have heard of him of course. There are few of more importance in this fleet of ours and of he listens to my recommendations."

Again he looked around to make sure all eyes were on him. "I accompanied my father to every important posting. I am on first name basis with much of the echelon of this fleet. I even once saw the Admiral of the Fleet himself and in person. From early on I was called the little Admiral and I am sure in no time at all I am going to join Fleet Command."

Letsgo's voice had lost all friendliness and just short of shouting. "You are not a commanding officer. Your father's position and rank has no bearing on anything concerning you. Yes we expect our soldiers, service personnel and spacemen to follow orders and execute them regardless of possible danger or personal comforts but an officer is not only responsible to achieve the objectives of an order given but is also responsible for each and every being under his or her command." The commander tried to stay calm. "I have never seen such a severe case of egocentric, self-importance and I cannot understand how you managed to pass the Psych Exams and tests. There will be an investigation and should your father's position had anything to do with you ending up here, there will be consequences."

The chrome metallic face of the commander turned to us. "If we wanted blind obedience we could send robots and not beings. We want officers that are able to think and question orders. Every time you receive an order you must evaluate it and decide if you follow it or not. In the far distant past horrible crimes were committed and those committing them refused to accept responsibility because they were ordered to do so.

"When you leave this auditorium, stop a moment and look at the Academy flag and read the motto underneath our logo: It is an ancient quote from pre Astro earth. 'Quiz custodiet ipsos custodes'? It means 'who will guard the Guards'. We are not the marines, who are trained to prize unquestioning loyalty and bravery as the highest ideals. We want thinking beings knowing when to follow an order and when not. It is often difficult to decide which orders to interpret and which ones follow by the letter or even refuse to execute. Don't understand me wrong on this. Mutiny is a serious crime, disobedience is severely punished. It is very complicated but we expect each officer to make this decision for every order and every day. This is why robots cannot replace us."

He paused and slowly shook his head as he continued: "I experienced a lot, Cadet Swybar, but that is a first. Trying to bribe me right out in the open. I am not impressed by your fathers rank, nor am I impressed by your conduct out there. Assuring obedience by violence is despicable."

"I have you sent to Arsenal II and charged with the attempted murder of Cadet Owar and a host of other charges, none the least trying to bribe me. Let me assure you there will be a full investigation as how you managed to even get this far."

Swybin was caught off guard by this and started to protest:" I have your head for this. I am a Swybar."

Letsgo gestured to a marine standing by the doors." Get him out of here of this Installation at once."

The Commander returned his attention to me, while Swybar was escorted out.

"I commend you for your performance and actions. I especially liked the Dinner and your acts of bravery to save fellow officers. However you failed the test as well. Do you know why you failed?"

I pressed my teeth together and nodded. "Yes Sir, I think I know."

Letsgo pointed at Wintsun." You seem to know the regulation handbook by heart. Do you know why he failed?"

Wintsun was caught off guard and shrugged. "Sir, I memorized the General Orders because my brother said they always come up in tests. It does not make me an expert in evaluating another cadet's action, but I think Eric did a great job, Sir."

"Mr. Olafson. Why do you think you failed?"

"I feel responsible for the wounded cadets, Sir. I should have done something much earlier."

"And responsible you are. Cadet Wintsun put it on record. You were in charge of the post and all government property within control reach from that moment on. The second you accepted command you assumed responsibility over all personnel in your unit. If you would have restrained Swybar, took all cadets to the houses you would have scored perfect for this test. Once you took command, storming off to save others is commendable but also wrong. You were responsible for all and should have delegated and organized a rescue party. Command is not easy and sometimes staying behind and let others do the action can be quite difficult.

"You also broke into the armory locker. It was clearly off limits and marked Authorized Personnel only. Do you have anything to say for your defense?"

"Yes Sir. I did not break the lock it accepted my authority and thus made me authorized."

"Slick answer I give you that. But why did you open it?"

"Sir we did not know what happened to you. We speculated and quite aware that this could have been a test, but you also could have been delayed or killed by a hostile force either native or foreign to this world. Later events made me glad I did open that gun cabinet."

He whispered to the furry Lt Commander and then said. "I will announce your punishment later. Now I am going to dismiss you so you can clean up, unless someone else has something to add."

Narth floated just a little off the floor making him quite visible. "Sir, I am requesting to share his punishment."

To my surprise Limbur stepped forward. "I will share it as well."

The black skinned girl stepped next to Limbur." So will I, Sir. He saved lives. I fail to understand why it is necessary to expose cadets to preventable death and injury. Death and injury received during an accident or while performing under real conditions is one thing. This scenario was excessive and I will contact my Representative and thus the Assembly."

The black pelted officer next to the Conmander answered. "The first inclusion of a Narth made it necessary that we monitor the scenario from a greater distance than usual. We monitored everything closely. A combat medic was undercover included in your group and the vital signs of all injured were monitored closely. The actions of cadet Swybar were also not anticipated."

"Then you are as guilty as Mr. Olafson by your own arguments you just made. You are responsible for our safety."

The cadets applauded her and more and more stepped forward.

The Cadet that had been rendered unconscious by Swybar said: "Sir, his actions saved my life. I will gladly take the punishment for him. I also will file a formal complaint, as outlined in the handbook."

And yet another said. "I was dragged through the jungle, half dead. I held to Swybin at first, but Olafson went after me. Not even my friends did that. I volunteer to take whatever punishment you have for him." Morthil, still covered with regen bandages gave me a thankful look and thumbs up.

The Commander crossed his arms looked us over. "This is going to be an interesting class this year for sure. We have taken your complaints and will use them to investigate and re evaluate. For now you are dismissed. You will be assigned to dorms and allowed an eight hour resting period."

------------------------

Chapter 3: Basic Training

I was still as tired as a Tyranno during Longnight when the lights came on and a voice barked via the PA system: "0400 hours Cadets rise and shine. 0430 is Breakfast. At 0500 you will receive your first class in the Elbhard Auditorium."

1...34567...44