Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3)

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That's a good job you did." Was all that came to my mind? It surprised me that my comment caused proud smiles. Albert didn't say much, but he had fashioned himself a tool belt and stuffed with all sorts of tools.

Shaun asked "What do you want us to do next?" He looked eager to do something and so did his friend Al.

"We need some sort of central watchtower. An elevated place we can see everything and if you could rig something like a TransDim comm. anything that might be used to send a message that would be good."

Shawn shook his head. "Can't do, Sir, None of the spare parts have transdim spools and without them nothing goes past the LI thresh hold."

Albert said something to Shawn in a language I never heard and Shawn nodded." Aye we could try that."

"What did he say?"

Shawn punched the other. "Don't speak that German-Irish gibberish he doesn't understand the old Engineering Language."

Albert grinned sheepishly. "Sorry Captain. I am just so happy that I found Shawn who speaks one of the old engineering languages that we started to use it."

I had no idea what he was talking about but nodded anyway." That's fine. Can you make a TransDim Radio?"

"Not exactly, but if we can take one of the DE rifles apart and use the containment field modulator and use the Computronic of the ID Lock from the Armory, I am sure we could make a TransDim Morse code transmitter. No voice no images and we couldn't receive but anyone with a TransDim Set in range could hear us. The Containment field is TransDim bases you see and by modulating it we would have a crude transmitter."

"Why do I get the feeling you all know more about this than I do? Have you done this before?"

Albert shrugged. "I haven't. I was raised on a ship and haven't been much dirt side, but I think I know pretty much all non classified techs inside and out. That's important, especially if your family space ship is a rust bucket about to fall apart. You learn to jury rig and improvise from early on."

Shawn explained. "Morse code is truly ancient and comes from Earth Pre-Astro time. But its simplicity and usefulness made it an almost universal thing. Every Comm Officer aboard any ship military or civilian knows Morse code. Besides any Computronic will recognize it as artificial transmission and can translate it." Then he added. "It's my first time in the Academy for sure, but I was born on Kikenny and being an Engineer is more than a tradition to us, it's a religion."

"Then you should try doing what Al suggested."

"Aye Sir." The black haired cadet rubbed his hands. "I am all over it. And tomorrow I use the rest of the parts and some odds and ends and install a high energy fence around the place."

Shawn was as excited. "Yeah we can do that with the box of energy coils. But first let us built a watch tower for Eric as he ordered and after that we build..." The two walked away chatting and making plans. Another cadet I had not noticed before handed me a PDD in clip board mode. "Here is the inventory of the food items in the kitchen, Sir. Kaila, Ivax and I are now tackling the other storage locker."

"Thank you, Cadet. Good job. When you done and after your break. Could you make a list of all Cadets, their species and their names?"

"You got it Sir."

I took the board and glanced at it and handed it back. "Very efficient and orderly list."

She smiled warmly." Thank you Sir. Wintsun was right when he picked you." She turned and left with a light spring in her step.

Night and darkness finally came after a long sunset. Narth was confident he could calculate the duration of a local day after tomorrow.

Nights on Green Eden, so it became apparent where very dark, there was no moon to reflect any sunlight. The stars however where spectacular.

And soon we learned that night fall caused a sharp drop in temperatures and it was getting colder by the minute. The tents had heating elements and we found plenty of blankets and padded uniform jackets and I was certain we would be fine.

Narth told me the situation on the landing field was getting worse by the minute. The handful of cadets that remained with Swybin where cold, hungry and confused aggression and fear tensed to a breaking point. He also sensed aggressive emotions from beings in the jungle and that there was more of that activity now than during the day.

I had the guards equipped with hand held search lights and we worked out a guard schedule. I was just inspecting the tents and talked to a Cadet from Earth, who was one of the armed guards when Wintsun came down the steps of the main building and said" Everything looks fine, everyone is contempt. Sure everyone is wondering what happened to the Instructors, but there isn't any fear." He pounded my shoulder. "I hand it to you, Viking you know your stuff."

"Wintsun, I really don't anything and the more I talk to other the more I realize that."

He said nothing just smiled at me and wiped on his feet and I was about to return to talk to the girl from Terra when he said. "What do we do now?"

"We wait, keep our guard up and see what happens."

"There are plenty of idle cadets with nothing to do. They want to help and do something. They are eager to do whatever you tell them."

"Alright, let's run this place Fleet like. I don't know much about it yet, and all I was instructed about was food and appearance. So I want the hallway made into a mess hall. Find chairs and tables make them out of shipping crates or something and get a group on heating ready meals. Everyone not on guard post will attend, perfectly groomed and dressed.

Guard posts are to be relieved half way through dinner and also need to groom and bathe before they attend. I want all rooms scrubbed and cleaned and the kitchen sparkling clean. Have a few of them check out those Uniform laundry machines in the basement and see if they work. We need two guys that keep a schedule on the Shower and bath room facility." I spread my arms and said. "That will keep them busy."

To my surprise she and Wintsun smiled from one ear to the other and almost yelled. "Yes Sir that it will."

I too took a shower, put on a clean uniform, shaved the few beard whiskers that had sprouted on my chin and combed my long blonde hair, braided it as it was tradition and then went with Narth to the storage sheds. We looked over the food supply list and calculated we could serve three meals to everyone for about thirty days, and then still have emergency bars for another six month.

"Let's not hope we will be here for that long." I said.

Narth shook his hooded head. "It is highly unlikely we will be."

"Still I think we should keep the guard and household with what we got."

"The situation dictates such precautions and is logical."

"You really think I am that logical?"

"I am unable to make a conclusive analysis of your logical capabilities as my exposure to you is limited to a relative short time span, but all instructions you have given and all actions taken, show that you follow a clear defined path when it comes to challenges as the one we are currently faced with."

"You always talk like that?"

"Certainly not. We Narth do not converse using acoustic verbal means and I only talk to you or others if the situation requires it. Therefore I do not always talk. It would be illogical to do so if there is no one to listen for example."

"You made my point." I smiled at Narth. "I am sure the day comes you and I actually really understand what the other means."

"I share your vision of this future." Narth and I inspected the camp and the guard posts.

Wintsun joined us. "Ah here you are. We have prepared the west facing room in the upper level for you and Spooky. So you have a place to sleep and work. You should also see what the crew had done to the hall."

"You don't think I should use a tent like the others?"

"You are in command and according to the handbook it is preferable to find separate accommodations for the CO when the situation permits it."

I sighed." Let's check out what they have done and then you should tell me why you know that handbook so well Wintsun shrugged. "I downloaded a copy from GalNet before I applied and read much of it. I like to read and I thought the Academy Handbook would be a good thing read since I was going there."

Narth pointed at Wintsun. "This was a perfect example of logical reasoning, Eric."

I actually agreed with Narth and I should have thought of doing the very same thing. "I wonder why I don't have one."

Wintsun shrugged. "They handed out actual real printed copies to everyone about six or seven days ago." He showed me a small book with soft plastic cover and very thin pages filled with text, drawings and small instructional visual recordings.

In sighed. "I guess that happened during the time when we went to Archilerb."

"Now I remember. You were the Cadet who gave the Eulogy to the two dead cadets. Everyone knows something about that story, but I bet most is scuddlebud."

We had reached the back door and entered the main building. The empty hallway had transformed rather nicely into a make shift mess hall with two rows of tables with bed sheets as table cloth. Field mess kits had been arranged as place settings and someone had found a Union flag and hung it from the far end wall.

And almost every seat was taken. Wintsun pointed at the crate at the short end and I felt awkward taking this obviously prominent spot, and uncomfortable because every eye was on me. Wintsun leaned over. "Since we don't have servers, the food is already placed but we waited on you."

I cleared my throat, took the water bottle and raised it. "Unknown is what lies ahead, let us face it like Fleet officers. I know still little about the ways, regulations and traditions of the fleet. I did not ask to be in this leadership position, but since I am in that position you can rest assure I will do my very best. Tomorrow is a new day, we are deep in Union space, and we have plenty of food, weapons, and a great pool of talents, good shelter and lots of work. Our instructors will show up sooner or later. Until then I raise my glass and drink to you and all of us. To the Fleet, to tomorrow."

I drank and sat down and began to eat looking sheepishly around. Not one face of those I could read showed amusement, but I could almost sense the collective pride.

A frail looking Cadet who almost looked like a skeleton bowed his bony head and blinked his sunken eyes. "This was a good toast, Sir."

During the sixth hour of darkness, after I had few hours of sleep, I climbed on the roof, where we had installed our makeshift Watchtower, to take my post and my turn of the watch. The temperature had dropped below freezing now. Someone had taped a tent tarp between four posts and used the heating unit as blower making it not a bad spot at all.

I just made it there when a bright light finger suddenly stabbed into the darkness from the left guard position below me and then came the shouts of alarm."

I didn't know the names of the cadets sitting there, but they where humanoid and one asked me in a hushed voice. "Mr. Olafson, what is going on?"

"I don't know, Cadet. But we are going to find out."

I took his spot light and pointed it into the same direction as the first one. Something large with green scaled skin and six legs was caught in the strong bright light beams. It was so big I could see its teeth gleaming from up here. The beast was confused by the sudden light and had stopped its advance. It was at least twenty meters long and perhaps five tall. I shouted. "Two gun men to the North west corner guard post. Everyone else remain where you are."

The beast overcame its hesitation and started to advance towards the camp. I waited for the cadets with rifles to be in position and then I yelled:"Fire at will." Two sun bright bolts of energy lashed out, caught the beast and the sharp crack of displaced air by bolts of super heated plasma vibrated through the night. The beast was hit by bolts of millions of degrees hot matter; almost half the animal was instantly incinerated.

We repelled and killed two more within the same hour and then it became quiet. I could smell the burnt flesh and saw the dimly glowing remains of whatever was left of the animals Narth who was my watch partner had literally floated up to our position without moving a limb. "The beasts of the jungle fear this place of lightning and thunder and won't bother us anymore for a while. The sentiment here at the camp is of an alert confidence. There is no panic and no fear and I sense they do trust you now more than even before"

"What about those on the landing field?"

"The probability that there won't be as many there tomorrow is very high."

"We can't let this happen. We have to convince them to come here or at least protect them."

"Why? The son of the Admiral thinks very bad thoughts about you and it was their free choice."

"Because, they are cadets and they are in danger. We have to go." I said while climbing down. Narth floated effortlessly next to me and without making any sound.

"You got some grav device under that cloak of yours?" I asked.

"No I levitate myself using telekinesis. It is quite simple and I am not all that heavy. I can levitate you too, if you care"

"I think I should learn more about the Narth."

"I shall endeavor to provide you with all the information of Narth you desire."

"At another time though. We need to hurry. I have a bad feeling about this.

--""--

While I was running I said to Narth who was right beside me.' Can you contact Wintsun with that telepath brain of yours?"

"Yes."

"Have him and two cadets with blasters and lights come after us as fast as he can.Lina, the Terran cadet is to remain and take over on the central look out."

"I have relayed your commands and they have been received and understood."

I said between breaths.' You know that Psionic stuff can be useful after all."

"One is pleased that you amended your verdict."

"Reverting to referring to yourself as one again?"

"The concept of I and One are distinct different. I am still contemplating which one is more appropriate."

While I was running Narth floated beside me, his feet about ten centimeters of the ground. I glanced at him. "You sure are a spooky sight. Floating and dressed like that, you look like a real ghost."

"I was not aware there are unreal ghosts."

His answer gave me the chills. I suddenly thought that if Narth believed in ghosts that there might be indeed such entities. I promised myself to ask him about ghosts sometimes later as we had reached the others.

Swybin stood in the middle of the twenty cadets, who looked cold and some of them raised their heads in hope. The Admiral's son was wearing several uniforms in layers against the cold and hissed:" It is too late to ask to come back, Viking. The Instructors will come and you will face a court-martial and I will personally watch your execution.

My eyes always able to see in dark conditions, had adjusted well to the star lit night and I almost immediately saw the lumbering shapes approaching the group of cadets. I could make out three of the same beasts we had encountered before.

Just then someone yelled. " Look out, behind you." At the same time something strong pushed me just as I turned, I stumbled but managed to stay on my feet, a scaled claw with sickle shaped razor sharp talons slashed through the air, where I had been standing a heartbeat before. A fourth beats had approached from, behind perhaps following us.

Without really thinking, I hefted my axe in both fists, turned and charged the big lizard. The humming axe vibrated in a very high frequency. Its razor sharp Ultronit blade able to slice through nearly anything without much effort. I swiped with a powerful swing it across the lowering head of the beast as it snapped at me, the axe cut through its jaw and showering me with scales, blood and broken teeth. The animal roared with a high pitched scream and in obvious pain, without giving the animal a chance to gain its bearings, I swiped the axe across its belly. An avalanche of wet glistening, stinking guts broke through the tough scaled skin, I actually felt sorry for the now mortally wounded lizard. In the last moment I managed to jump out of the way of the thrashing spiked tail, and chopped a piece of it off, before it could hit me. There was not much fight left in this poor creature and with one heavy blow I cut open its throat, killing it and showering me with a spray of hot lizard blood.

The animal collapsed. I whirled around. There was panic and screams, chaos. Cadets were running in all directions. One of the lizards snatched a cadet as he tried to run from another. The human was lifted off the ground his arm all the way to the shoulder inside the monster's maw.

Everything happened at once and barley a minute had passed since we arrived I vaulted over a female cadet that crouched on the ground in fear. From the side I saw one of the monsters attack another student, but before it could snatch its prey, the whole animal lifted off the ground and as if catapulted by a big rubber band flew in a wide arch away into the darkness.

Without stopping, I was amazed and quite a bit terrified of Narth's incredible powers. He just dispatched several tons of living flesh with nothing but the power of his mind.

If the Lizard would have a chance to use its claws to rip the cadet apart, all hope for the screaming victim would be gone. I yelled at the top of my lungs an ancient Viking war cry, like Uncle Hogun taught me, to distract the animal and make it aware of me.

I put as much force as I could muster behind a powerful chop and brought the axe in a wide swing across the front leg, severing most it. The beast opened its maw to scream and let the wounded cadet go. Instead of dropping the cadet floated away, caught by Narth's telekinetic powers. The monster was wounded and confused and with an up to down swing I split its lower jaw and cut deep into its neck. Despite this mortal wound it managed to rake its other claw across my arm, shredding much of the padded cold jacket, my uniform beneath and judging by the burning pain, also some of my skin.

I disregarded the injury; it had to be nothing more than a scratch since I still felt my arm and finished the beast with two more blows against its head.

Bright lights stabbed the night and the loud crack of super heated energy beams mingled with the roaring screams of the remaining beast.

I took a breather and looked around; no other lizard was within sight.

Narth appeared next to me and said. "I have dispatched the other Dinosaur and there is no immediate danger."

"I have seen it and still can't believe it. You threw that lizard at least 50 meters or more."

"Since you have seen it, it is illogical not to believe it and your estimate was somewhat incorrect, I threw the Dinosaur 98.6 meters. Also if I it interests you, these animals are not lizards but warm blooded. A true lizard would not be active in temperatures like that."

I grinned." I stand corrected then."

"I must confess I am in deep awe at your deeds. I have not seen anything like that before. You are injured."

"Nothing but a scratch, it will heal. What about casualties?"

We checked and three of Swybar's cadets were injured and the one rescued by Narth was most severely wounded and barely alive his left arm was mostly gone, and he had deep bite marks in his side.

"He needs aid fast." I was looking to Limbur but Narth said. "I shall convey the casualties and be back soon."

All three injured cadets and Narth disappeared with a loud popping sounds, when the air rushed into the void he had left behind. I knew about telepaths and had seen telekinetics when the Old man of the Pillar demonstrated it to me, and I had heard about the rare power of teleportation in school. It seemed my new friend was gifted with all three talents.