Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3)

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

And we found ourselves in said Auditorium at that time an hour later. Clean, fed and still tired. Again I tried to find a place in the back, so I could perhaps close my eyes for few moments.

The Pan Saran Officer was already there. "Good Morning Class."

We saluted and he ordered us to sit down.

"I am Lt Aurelius. As you can see I am of a human species, called the Pan Sarans. We are native to the Upward sector in the M-0 Galaxy. Like most humanoid species of this Galaxy we share ancestry with the Terrans, Saresii and Sarans.

Why the Pan Saran Empire split form the Saran Empire and why we Pan Sarans dress in this anachronistic fashion is your assignment to find out by tomorrow."He obviously referred to that polished brass chest plate he wore.

"Once you are established officers you are allowed to display one or two things on your standard uniform that shows and links you to your heritage as long as it not interferes with your regulation equipment. Mr. Olafson that means you will have to cut that hair and shave for now. You may wear braids and beard if and when you are an officer. "Cadet Olafson."

I blinked as I had almost dosed off and was startled by his sudden calling of my name.

I struggled to my feet wanted to argue but instead just mumbled a grumpy." Yes Sir"

"You will cut your hair to basic training requirements for standard human males. Braids are not acceptable."

He picked a few others and told them to change their appearance or grooming habits.

Only then he began the actual class: "You will be instructed and drilled to stand, march, run and respond to orders in an unquestioning manner. Drilling performs a psychological function, by inculcating the response to commands and training; you will act unhesitatingly in the face of real combat or danger situations. It can also serve a role in leadership training. Combat situations include not only commands to engage and put one's life in danger, but also commands to disengage when military necessity so demands. This conditioning is essential for military function, because without it a military unit would likely disintegrate under the stress of combat and degenerate into a mere armed mob."

I felt a strong invisible force pulling my head up. Before I could yelp, Narth who sat next to me whispered.You where about to fall over."

Aurelius continued his lecture unaware of my almost predicament and kept on with his sermon: "You will be subjected to rigorous physical training, both to prepare for the demands of combat and to weed out the less able or insufficiently motivated. That means all of you regardless of species or origin; you must be on peak of your species physical development. You are trained in marksmanship with standard and exotic weapons. We teach you the maintenance of personal weapons. How assemble them, clean them and perform basic rrpairs if necessary. You will also learn to use bladed and other archaic weapons. Unarmed combat and martial arts, first aid, protective equipment usage, and basic survival techniques in every environment you might end up: deserts, Ice planets, jungle worlds, deep space and everything in between. Further training will focus on basic spacemanship, and skills such as firefighting, damage control basic engineering, and signals."

He took a deep breath and kept on listing:"To top it all off you will have classes in astro navigation, propulsion physics, xeno linguistics, xeno biology, xeno technology, diplomacy, strategy and tactics, geophysics and a host of other classes."

He took a drink of water." Simply listing this is a tiresome and exhausting exercise, but everything is exactly planned out and millions have done it before you, so you know it can be done.

"After you finished Basic your almost over the hill and the following years won't feel as demanding because you get used to it.

"It is my sincere wish that just once everyone be here in this auditorium one year from now. However not all of you will make the entire journey. I challenge you to proof me wrong. Show me you are the class that can do it."

The dorms where simple, with beds that had to be made up every morning manually. Always Nine Cadets to a dorm. I shared my dorm with: Narth, Owar, Wintsun, Limbur, Naxwax, Azey, Galmy and Olia.

Azey actually was called Azey Azey Azeytytalitonitusiviy and he was from Oromarl. Most had problems saying his name. even the instructors called him as we did Az-Az. Oromals had humanoid characteristics, meaning he had two arms, legs and a head with the usual sensory organs but due to their size, about two heads taller than me and known body strength as well as their gray greenish skin, pronounced lower jaw Terrans often called them Orcs. Naxwax came from Oromal as well, but he belonged to a subspecies similar but twice the size of Azey. Needless to say that his name was a similar word monster so Naxwax was all anyone remembered.

Galmy was a female from Maltyr. She was almost human, had really long black hair, black eyes and her skin was white as deep frost snow. Her body was extremely thin and fragile looking and she appeared to be no older than maybe 15, despite the fact she was almost 60 years old in standard years. She was very quiet and appeared to always like a nervous animal that was about to run at the slightest sign of trouble.

Owar was a sickly looking human from a Terran colony world at the galactic rim area. He was quite intelligent but I wondered why they let him into the Navy or why he wasn't treated for his conditions. His skin reminded me of dull dirty yellow candle wax; his eyes were sunken deep into the skull and had a reddish color. He explained to me that his appearance was due to a not entirely successful genetic tailoring, to make the colonists of his world more adapted to their new home. On his planet, they lived underground for many generations and they farmed mushrooms of many different kinds.

Wintsun's home world was like Nilfeheim one of the earliest planets Terrans migrated to, after the Galactic Awakening of Earth. And just like Erikson led his followers of the Viking movement to a new world to live according to their own rules, Alice Brown, of a militant communist and back to nature group led colonists to Sunflower, as Wintsun's home world was called. Local conditions and genetic alternations with plant DNA made their skin green and allowed them to absorb light and turn it into additional nourishment via photosynthesis.

Limbur came from a world with triple the standard gravitation. His muscles and bones where denser and made him quite strong under one grav conditions.

Narth and his home world were still mysteries to me and everyone else.

Making our dorm complete was Nena Olia. She came from Europa moon in the Sol system and had the typical arrogant attitude of Terrans (All planet and moon colonies in the sol system considered themselves to be Terran.). She wore her hair short and used holo-dye making it sparkle and change color depending on the light source. But not for long as Lt. Aurelius confiscated her bottle.

We had to get up at 0400 standard and went to bed lights out at 2200 every night. The time between was planned for us down to the minute. Physical training, small arms training, hand to hand combat. Classes on xeno biology, military history, tech and science. Learning was different from school. In addition to Hypno- training, Neuro-direct uploads we had old fashioned standard classes, with books, hand written notes and teaching instructors After the third month only one hundred thirty one Cadets remained. Both Naxwax and Azey had left, but it was because they had to attend the funeral of their king and would be allowed to return with the next cycle.

We learned to survive with only the bare essentials in almost any environment. Snow and ice, mountains, jungles, ocean world, Forests and every extreme one could think of. I was surprised how many cadets had never seen open fire or knew how to make it. While I too learned new ways of making fire at least it was not strange or new to me.

We were educated about bobby traps and hunting for survival. Every one physically able learned how to ski, Arti-Grav belt flying, sky diving, riding on horses and a host of other animals, swim and dive. The instructors yelled at us, insulted us and did not let up.

The number of cadets every morning at breakfast was a little smaller each day.

I hated dancing and culture class most of all. Why was it necessary that we knew how to play chess and a host of other games? Everyone had to pick one and learn how to play a musical instrument. Why did I have to know how to sculpt in clay or draw a picture with coal on primitive paper?

I rather went on another survival training mission than sit in that class room and listen to samples of music from hundreds of cultures and discuss the nuances and highlights.

But it was required so I did my best.

Before I joined the Fleet time had little meaning to me. T ime does not mean much too a civilian. What was the difference if you slept in a minute or took a little longer to eat your meal?

To a cadet at the Academy, a minute had sixty seconds and each second counted.

Instead of getting up at 0400, getting up at 0348 was a better idea. In ten minutes you could shave, bathe, polish your boots and have time for mending a rip on your uniform.

Yes they made us do small repairs. And two minutes to spare if something else had to be done.

While the rest ofn the Union was supposed to adjust to the new time keeping system, where the minute had one hundred seconds, the hour one hundred minutes and the day had 20n hours. Day names were replaced by numbers. Instead of Monday it was First Day of the week. A week had ten days. Each week had a color name and the word month was replaced by annual divider or simply divider. There were ten to a standard year. It was more than just complicated, at least for me and I was glad that the Fleet resisted that new time format and still used the old Terran time system. It simply felt right and I could estimate the time of day or the length of an hour more or less by intuition. It turned out many others had the same problem and thus oposition to the new system that was supposedly more inclusive to everyone and not Earth centric.

We just completed a grueling nine day march upstream along the muddy banks of Jones River, a local stream about five hundred miles to the East and to the rivers source. Loaded with full gear we were ordered to map the river, record life forms and take samples. After we returned tired an exhausted we had to spend twelve hours in the labs to analyze the water samples, catalog the specimen and everyone had to dissect one of the specimens with making careful scientific notes.

All could be done with scanners, robots and machines. They did teach us the use of the most advanced drones and remote probes but usually they wanted us to do things first as hands on and as simple as possible before we moved on to more advanced ways doing things.

Dr. Gary our scientific educator checked on everyone with meticulous sense of detail and he would not ever miss a thing.

It was Dr. Gary who told about the planet. Originally Green Eden was slated to be colonized. It was a moderate garden world with lots of life and water. The planet had a gravitation of almost exactly one grav and neither harsh winters or blistering summers.

The six by one kilometer brown dirt strip and the wooden houses were left behind by the original colonists. There were many more buildings all over the place, but most were overgrown and mostly rotted away. The ones by the landing field had been restored and kept in good repair for various scenarios.

We came across quite a few of those ruined and totally overgrown left overs of the old colony. left especially on our march up to the rivers source.

It was not entirely clear what happened but the settlers split into two groups and the dirt strip was made not just as a landing field but as some sort of demarcation line between the two sides. Armed conflict broke out and the settlers wiped themselves out. According to Lt. Aurelius there were only about twenty survivors and in very bad health when the Colonist Bureau sent a ship to check on them. Dr. Gary said it was some sort of religious matter and the difference of opinions. He told us that few things got humans as riled and as ready to fight as about insubstantial matters of spiritual believes.

Something I could attest to reflecting on the history of my own world.

The Navy maintained the strip and the buildings both for various welcome scenarios and as a reminder for what happened. While Dr. Gary dismissed it as fairy tale, there was a rumor going around that there still were colonists living in the jungles, more animal than human now and more ape than man. Another rumor was that the colonists found a great treasure and were not willing to share. Since the Navy needed a training facility it started to use the planet.

Narth leaned back and pushed his hands under the sleeves of his robe. The twenty centimeter long snake he had caught on our trip neatly dissected and separated. His work space was always clean and tidy. I knew he loved the lab classes as it appealed greatly to his inquisitive nature. The PDD on his right in drawing mode showed a perfect drawing of the animal with detailed notes about its anatomy.

While I got along with everyone, and I had made good friends, Narth had slowly but surely become my best friend. Even now I did not know much about him, even though he tried to explain whatever I asked. I learned that the Narth had no concept of names. They were a society of perfect telepaths, and they recognized each other on a completely different level. Names were not needed. Narth not only meant him but every Narth and the civilization as whole. He told me that the word Narth itself was not a name either but the acoustic expression of a descriptive thought, whatever that really meant. He once said Narth was not so much a race or a species but a level of existence. We learned about many humanoid and non humanoid species and civilizations in Xeno Class but not matter how alien they were, they all shared some common ground. Whenever I talked to Narth about his home I felt his was the most alien of all.

All this however did not stop us from becoming close friends.

I was still working on the big fish I had caught. Narth turned his attention to me and said." It took you less time to catch and cook ten fish over a fire while we were walking to the Jones Spring then to dissect this single specimen."

"Narth, there is a difference between gutting a fish and dissecting it and you know that. Not everyone has such neat Psi powers to help in dissecting."

"I have not used any such means to dissect the snake and you do not find psionics neat, but I shall offer you assistance."

The fish before me was dead and cut open, so it was quite unsettling to see it move again and turn on its belly. A fine line appeared and it neatly split along its length, exposing its viscera.

Galmy who was long done with a beetle turned to us and said." What do you think happe nd to those colonists? Do you think it was a religious reason?"

"Differences in opinion on traditions almost wiped out the colonists on Nilfeheim. So I think it very likely and I am sure it happened more often than not, especially during the second Exodus."

Narth used a stylus to make perfect scientific sketches of the now separated innards of the fish on my PDD said. "Why the migration of Terran groups is called the second Exodus? Before that they had no means of faster than light travel."

Dr. Gary had approached our group and answered. "There was a religious historic event described in one of Earth's most important religious books called the Bible. The first chapter was called Exodus and describes the migration and wanderings of a particular tribe. When Earthers left Terra by the millions to settle other worlds, they called it the second exodus." He then checked on Narth's snake and my fish." Good work you two, now it looks the same artist made both drawings. Eric do draw me that fish's heart."

I took the stylus and my hand started moving over the drawing surface without me doing it. Narth's voice in my head said."Stop fighting me, I never get the lines neat that way."

Dr. Gary however was satisfied. "I guess you two have similar precise styles."

Then he addressed the class. "You all did well both on the expedition and now in the lab. All of you have scored at least 60 percent and that means you passed this challenge. So I give you the rest of the day off. Regular duty begins tomorrow at 0800 hrs."

He was rewarded by a loud cheer.

The Camp Idyllic installation was mostly underground and spread over several habitat modules connected with corridor tunnels. The installation had twenty levels. Our dorm was at the east side module Sub level two, and the lab we were in was in west side module Sub level three. Now there was an Inter base transport system and slide ways, but we cadets were not allowed to use them and had to go everywhere on foot. The fastest way to the dorm was via main lobby in the center module. There also were a series of GalNet terminals. My plan was to get there as fast as possible, since there were more cadets than terminals and they could only be used during spare time, something we almost never had.

The lab vanished before my eyes and a strange pulling sensation in my neck and the next thing I knew I almost walked nose first into one of the GalNet terminals. It took me a moment to realize what happened. Narth said with a happy tone in my mind. "Now you be the very first to use GalNet and you teleported without any ill effects."

"Thank you, I guess. You could at least warned me."

He pointed at Gaarl, who was a Quadiped coming out of the connecting tower. "Any delay and we would be too late, Eric. There are those who are very fast on their legs."

He was right and I was glad to be able to make a call. Then I said."You first Narth, maybe you like to call home as well."

"I do not need GalNet to call other Narth. I am in contact with Narth Supreme as we speak."

"You are certainly full of surprises." I said and activated the terminal. "System, I like to make a call to Planet Nilfeheim, Olafson Clan."

The GalNet logo flashed over the two Dee Screen. These GalNet terminals were not Avatar enabled. The Olafson logo of the two wolf heads appeared and then the call was answered by very pretty blonde young girl wearing her hair in braids. She was standing by a terminal in father's study. It was Exa, the orphan I had encountered on Twilight and managed to send home to Nilfeheim.

She yelled excited."It's Eric. Eric is calling."

Father came into the sensor view and I realized how long it was I had even thought about them. He looked the same and yet there was something different. His brooding look was completely gone. My father had a smile uner his mighty black beard and the smile reached his steel blue eyes."Hail my First Born. I hope thy call brings good tidings."

"I have this opportunity to call home. I am still in basic training. I wanted to hear how things are at home."

"So you will not come for Yuletide. It is less than four weeks to the festivities?"

I made a surprised face." Yuletide was never celebrated on the Burg."

"Many things have changed, my son. I am not only free of the drugs but I also see the errors of my life and there are many things I did that cannot be excused by the influence of the drugs. As you decreed, the Burg is no longer a place of sorrow and fear. I have the court yard decorated this year and everyone is invited and we celebrate Yuletide as your mother always wanted it to be."

As he mentioned mother, I clenched my fists and old rage and horror boiled inside me almost to the surface and somewhere deep inside I cursed myself for not making good on my promise and killing him. I knew neither Tyr nor Old Egill would approve of such thoughts and I did not let my feelings reach my words. He noticed anyway and his smile vanished, but little Exa tried to push his bulk aside and twirled around in a deep red velvet dress with snow white fur trimmings." Look at this dress, Eric. Uncle Isegrim got it for me for my birthday."

1...45678...44