Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3)

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I cleared my throat."Why are you not with Uncle Hogun?"

"Father and mother went off planet. They and about two hundred others went to prepare Nilfeheim specialties for the Assembly."

Isegrim stroked his beard. "You know of course that Egill, Eldest is our planetary representative and there is a big planet product fair and my brother and the others are cooking and grilling for the delegates. Elena is there as well, she represents the Olafson Clan." He looked very pleased. "We are the biggest and most influential clan now, not in small part due because of Elena. I hate to give a woman credit, but she might just be one day the best clan leader. Even the other clan Chiefs respect her now, it helps that she is becoming more beautiful every day."

Exa held up a book." Uncle Isegrim is helping me with my homework for heritage class. I am learning much about the history and all that."

I blinked."It sure looks like things have changed a lot."

Father knew what I meant and he changed the subject. "Maybe you can call Egill? I am sure they would love to hear from you."

"I do that."

Then I said good bye and had the system make a connection to Egill on Pluribus.

It took several call signals before the screen changed and the face of the Ancient came on. He grunted. "What part of not disturb do you not understand? We just talked a few months ago."

I barked back. "I don't care about your not disturb signal. I wanted to call and so I called."

His eyes glittered and even though we were too far apart for his Psionics to work, I knew he was smiling. Then he no longer was able to keep his grumpy façade up and smiled broadly." How is everything, Eric? Is the Navy life treating you well?"

"Everything is going fine."

"You couldn't stay completely out of trouble even in the Navy."

I was not sure what he meant and said."I am not in any trouble I am aware of."

"A few weeks back I was invited by the Yokuta delegation after they made their membership request and they told me about a certain Cadet Olafson from Nilfeheim who saved their planet from a Kermac Spore Bomb attack."

"Oh that one..."

He kept smiling." We do have a Nilfeheim booth at the Pavilion of Planets and it is a great success. Your Uncle Hogun's grilled fish and fang snapper made the front page of the culinary section of the Pluribus Herald and your new sister is quite the business woman I tell you. If she keeps going she will outdo your Grandfather." His face became serious and said. "I have also some very bad news." Elkhart, the Ancient.Has disapeared.The Keepers say he went into solitude somewhere to finally die."

This was sad news indeed. The Old man was one of my mentors and teachers and I had been very fond of that old man." How did it happen?"

"They don't say. But I assume his cells were deteriorating faster than he anticipated and his organs failed. He probably was beyond the help of regular medicine. He told me that he was ready to go to home looked forward to that. The Keepers thi nk he went to Earth to die there.

He did ask about you and told me to send you his greetings and well wishes and that he is proud of you."

"It is still very sad. With him died much incredible knowledge. He was there on Nilfeheim from the beginning. I just wish our people would know a little more about him."

"Not to worry. Nilfeheim knows all about him. I made sure of that. Besides I am not so sure he was what he claimed to be and maybe we see him again. He always has been a big enigma."

Someone behind me said." Come on Olafson, find and end. There are others who want to call home."

Of course the Terminals here had no privacy screens either. Even though I wanted to call Elena, I knew it would be unfair to make a third call. So I asked Egill to say hello to the others and let the next cadet use the terminal.

--""--

Three weeks had passed since I made that can and this Friday morning we were all sitting in the courtyard mending uniforms. A cadet voiced his anger about the futility of using primitive tools like needle and threat, when we had auto dressers and nanite factories that could make an entire uniform in less time it took us to sew on a button.

Aurellius heard it and asked. "Mr. Wintsun do you agree with Cadet Applegate's complaint, do you think this a waste of training time?"

Wintsun bolted upright dropped his jacket he was working on and snapped in attention. "Sir this cadet will perform repair tasks as requested but I must say I also do not see the reason why we have to know this. I fail to understand why our uniforms are made of primitive fabrics and have stupid buttons that come off all the time. Why can't we have Uniforms made of Memo-Fab? It doesn't rip, doesn't get dirty, it closes securely without the need of buttons and it is around for at least a thousand years."

"Mr. Olafson. I noticed you are quite handy with needle and threat and it looks like you did that before you came here. Tell me why?"

Like Wintsun I jumped to my feet. "Sir the culture I was raised in finds value in such activities. We manufacture leather and leather garments in our clan. A Neo Viking also sews his first pants out of Tyranno fin leather and then is allowed to sit at the men's table and eat with the warriors. The leather has to come from his first kill."

"So your skills are born out of tradition and your native culture. If you would be stranded on a planet, you could make a net to fish, fashion you perhaps protective garments or even a tent."

"A net, no problem Sir. The other things I imagine I could, Sir."

Aurelius motioned us to sit down. "Yes we have nanite factories and auto dressers and it would be no problem supplying you all with new uniforms every day made out of the most advanced Intelli-Fab, have auto-beds that make themselves and why not a modern Colgate Complete body hygiene center that does all the shaving and grooming for you?"

Applegate, the cadet that had complained in the first place smiled at that. "I sure would like that Sir."

Even Aurelius had to grin. "To be stranded on an uninhabited planet might never happen to any of you but you need to know what to do if it does happen.

"We expect you to be officers of the Navy and be as well groomed as possible. Even if you never get rescued and you are on that planet for the rest of your life, and we finally find your dried out corpse, it better shows signs of proper grooming."

Applegate nodded and mumbled. "Or else. I can see it now. Instructor Aurelius punishing a corpse for a bad haircut. Yeah it sure is going to be in trouble for that one."

"I was trying to make a point." The Instructor said. Aurelius so it became evident did have fine hearing and gave him a stern look.

The instructor said to all off us. "Such basic skills will help you find solutions to problems as shelter, food, survival and defense. The simple skill to know how to sew can be combined with other skills to manufacture weapons, traps and find solutions to obstacles and problems.

"Next week you will learn basic carpentry skills, how mud bricks are made. Fundamental masonry nand agricultural skills. How a pot can be made out of clay and how metal can be cast. You get to know basic engineering skills with all sorts of tools and materials.

All those skills might never be needed, but if you do you are glad you know how to use an old fashioned hammer."

He picked up a hammer." Even at our advanced Tech Level, you will find a hammer in every engineer's toolbox. Mankind's oldest tool is still with us and there are no real high tech solutions to replace it."

Narth shook his hooded head barely noticeable, Aurellius saw it anyway. "You don't agree Mr. Narth. Don't they have hammers where you're from?"

"No Sir. We do not have hammers. I shall however take one along once I return so we do have at least one."

"You are spending way too much time with Mr. Olafson. You even developed a sense of humor."

Narth raised his head."I did? Fascinating."

He gestured with his gloved hand and one of the sewing needles started to float and hissed like a projectile across the room and buried itself deep in a bedpost." That is how we used to do it on Narth, but we will have a hammer."

"Impressive display of Psionics, but what do you do if you are unable to use them. The Saresii for example have developed methods of suppressing Psionic powers and I am certain the Kermac have as well."

Narth was about to say something but Aurelius shook his finger. "This is not open for debate, Mr. Narth. You too will learn how to use primitive tools. After hours you and Mr. Olafson will repair the compound fence by using hammer wire, nails. I was told there are three clicks of fence and it is in bad shape."

I protested, "Sir, what have I done?"

"I just wanted to teach you two my kind of humor."

He grinned and looked quite satisfied and then kept explaining. "Let's say you are on a planetary survey mission. You are the Officer in charge of the survey party and you come across a primitive civilization. You don't speak their language and the linguistic translators still have problems translating. But you see a group of natives mending nets.

Instead of being totally clueless you could join them, take up a tool and sit down with the locals and help mend nets.

"Actions like these break down barriers faster than any display of superior tech that might frighten them or make them hostile towards you. In the process you might pick up phrases and names more intuitive than a translator could and you begin to understand them faster than the Linguistics-Processor of your Translator. Situations like this did happen many times before and might happen again."

He sighed and went on. "When you see a battle ship you think all the Navy does is parade around in known space, patrol shipping corridors and fight wars. This is of course part what we do, but only a small part. Space is so vast and there is still plenty of unknown even inside consecutive space inside the boundaries of Union territory. This means there are endless combinations of situations you might have to face. We can't give you guide lines for all of them, but we can give you all a working base that covers as much about our combined civilizations knowledge as we can cram into you.

"Mr. Appletree's I want you to take the afternoon of, go to the library and research how many times the skill of sewing came in handy to an officer. You have access to every report and log entry Navy personnel made in the last three centuries years. Tomorrow I want you to give us a lecture on that."

--""--

Weapon training was my favorite subject. It was fascinating to learn just how many different weapons all the known species had come up with. Narth said it didn't surprise him that Terrans where the unchallenged champions in that field. He surmised that it had to do with the fact that Terran Humans were neither the strongest, had no real specialization and had the unique ability to excel both as individuals and in groups.

I had learned how to throw an axe or a harpoon from as soon as I could walk and the instructor for primitive weaponry was very pleased with my results and even let me show others how to fight with ax and harpoon.

However I was as green as can be when it came to bow and arrow, or more modern weapons especially blaster weapons.

About two week ago a new teacher, his name Lieutenant De la Lupe, a human from Terra itself introduced himself as our fencing instructor. He was showing us how to use various swords and fighting styles. I recognized many styles and blades from the instructions I received from Carl and Richard back on Nilfeheim.

After we went through the usual training routines he made us interrupt our training and sit down. His face was stern and it was clear something of serious nature was on his mind. "Class I am very pleased with your general progress, but do you know why we stress this kind of fighting so much?"

Applegate answered quickly. "Because a Monofilament Saber is still one of the best weapons in close quarter fighting such as boarding actions either in attacking or defending."

De la Lupe smiled briefly. "And this is indeed one important reason why it is important you know how to use edged weapons. But repelling boarding action with a bladed implement does not require style or finesse."

He looked down the length of his rapier, but his eyes saw something else. "Officers of this space fleet live by a strict discipline and an equally strict honor code. You all know the official words., United Stars Officers will not lie, cheat, or steal, or tolerate those who do' It was totally quiet. None of the usual whispered comments or someone trying to catch a few winks of sleep in the back, everyone was listening. Lupe always treated us differently than the other instructors. He never ridiculed anyone, never resorted to punishments. He respected us and was able to show it without saying it. This was the reason he also was the most liked Instructor.

I felt he was about to open a little known chapter of Navy knowledge that was never the less very important.

He continued after his reflective pause. "Honor is not an easy concept to define or quantify. It is however the most important core of every officer. It is what determines a person's character. Whether or not the person reflects honesty, respect, integrity, or fairness."

Lupe stopped playing with his sword and put it on the table behind him. "This is the official side of the honor code. Not that it is codified or written in about in regulations. Honor is earned and respect is given. It is as vague and undefined as can be. Yet it can be felt, the visual expression of honor are the citations and decorations military branches and also civilian organization bestow. These things are worthless symbols, the physical representations worth a few credits of metal at best. Yet the true value of a Medal of Honor for example can not be measured with credits or physical means. These are the official aspects of this subject, but there is a little known other side to it as well. It is neither publicized and some academy branches don't ever mention it, but as officers you may come into a situation where another officer challenges your honor or claims to be insulted and his honor injured."

Since pretty much my entire home civilization was based on more or less that very idea, I had no trouble understanding it.

Narth landed over to me and whispered. "There is nothing more illogical than humans in this entire Universe."

Lupe grinned as he heard Narth." What is it you find illogical?"

"Honor is a concept, how can it be insulted or injured?"

"Let me try to explain that in an example. Captain A accuses Commander B of lying. Now it could be that A was indeed lying and by doing so offended B, or A did not lie and therefore the accusation is a lie."

Narth raised both his hands. "It is easier to understand the physics inside a black hole than to follow this logic." Narth actually sighed. I padded his shoulder." I feel for you my friend."

Lupe nodded knowingly. "Yes it is quite antiquated but this situation I described could still lead to a duel. Duels are rare, officially not sanctioned but not illegal. It is expected of you to react in such a situation according to traditions and always as an officer and Gentleperson."

I shrugged."That pretty much describes Nilfeheim. A challenge can be issued when honor is injured or questioned."

"So does that hold true to Cadets? Can someone challenge me?" Asked Olia, she was one of the finest rapier fencers in our group.

"That is a tough question as there is no official rule to this effect. We want you to act like full officers as soon as possible. One could argue that you are not officers yet, besides it cannot be used while on duty or duty related issues, only in private matters. You cannot challenge or be challenged while on duty."

Olia sighed and smiled." That rules out Cadets anyway. We are on duty more or less all then time, no spare time for us."

Lupe bowed slightly before here and when he did it looked elegant and full of style. "This is a good thing, lovely Ms. Olia for you are quite a fencer already"

She blushed and we could see that she also deeply enjoyed his courtesy. "I am not the best by far. Wintsun and Appletree are better and Narth and Eric are the best."

"It behooves a fighter never to overestimate him or herself. Before you begin a fight you must always think this is your last fight and your opponent might be better than you, stronger, more experienced or has some other advantage."

He took up his rapier once more. "I am proud of the entire class this year."

He dismissed earlier and said. "Please do not start any duels and remain out of the other instructors eyes or they might find something to occupy you with."

As we filed out the training hall he said. "Not you two. Mr. Olafson and Mr. Narth would you please remain for a moment? I like you to have a word with you both"

He watched the last of the others leave. "I know you two have earned a little leisure time like everyone else, but Olia was right. You are both very talented fencers and I would like to train you in more advanced techniques and further I would like to ask you a favor."

Narth bowed slightly. "I greatly enjoy the physical aspect of this fencing activity. I find the methods of moving, attacking and defending actually quite mathematical and fascinating. I am eager to learn more of it."

"I had seen myself to be a swashbuckling ruffian at best." I said. "I would be deeply grateful for lessons and you may ask any favor of us."

I didn't even realize that I included Narth but we really begun to understand each other on that unexplained friendship level that developed between good friends.

Lupe put his hands together and looked at us. "A cartel was delivered to me and I must answer it. This is also the reason I brought up this subject in class."

I wrinkled my forehead in a involuntary expression."Sorry Sir, they delivered what to you?"

"A cartel is a hand delivered written notice of challenge describing the cause of the offense."

"Who would challenge you?" I asked perplexed. "You are exactly how I always imagined officers should be."

Narth agreed. "Indeed, my friend is quite correct. I still learn much about how humans act and live but your way of educating us appeals to me."

"Your comments make prouder than you realize. I would like you to be my adjutants and Seconds."

He stopped us with a motion of his hand. "Before you agree let me tell you exactly what it means and what you will have to do. I also need to tell you why and where this takes place."

I simply nodded and Narth was listening as well.

"Let us not talk here. We will go into the officers' lounge and have a drink and there I will fill you in. Only then I would like you to answer me."

"Are we allowed in the officer's lounge?" His invitation was the most incredible development to me.

"Yes I am inviting you. I am not asking you anything illegal or secretive. I did discuss this with Commander Letsgo as well."

"I never tried to imply that, Sir. I was merely surprised."

"Of course as I would be in your place. Now get cleaned up and get dressed in off duty civilian clothing and meet me at the Officers lounge at 1900 hrs."

With that he left us standing and walked out.

------------------------

Chapter 4: Alcohol

We watched him leave and as we left the training hall, Narth asked. "Lying can be polite sometimes, is that so?"

I was thinking for a moment what he meant and then said. "We humans always say we prefer the truth, but in certain cases we rather not want to hear or tell the truth. Especially when dealing with others. Why do you ask?"

"You said to La Lupe that you are a ruffian at best, and yet you are the best fencer and I am not certain our instructor is much ahead of your skill level, but I think I begin to understand."

1...56789...44