All Comments on 'Fair is Fair'

by Just_Words

Sort by:
  • 123 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

All these stupid 750 word stories are just excuses for lazy writers.

26thNC26thNCabout 3 years ago
No

Fair may be fair, but there ain’t no way I would trust her cooking. Still another great 750 word story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Started out as a standard BTB divorce.

Ended up as a sad commentary about today's divorce laws. The screwing you get for the screwing you got. And why would he want to see her around cooking and cleaning? Cut the alimony in half and use the difference to hire a cook and a maid.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
I wasn't quite sure...

... If he was looking to pay less or actually get her to cook and clean? I liked the part about sabotaging her negligee. Miles away and nothing but guilt to eat.

SwordWielderSwordWielderabout 3 years ago

Fantastic! A definite 5! We just need to change the divorce laws now...

far_wanderer1984far_wanderer1984about 3 years ago

Made a good introduction to a study but needs more.

far_wanderer1984far_wanderer1984about 3 years ago

Made a good introduction to a study but needs more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Very funny.

Enjoyed it a lot even if it is short. But really I would like to know a little more about what is "fair is fair"....

ju8streadingju8streadingabout 3 years ago

that was funny. thank you

dc6370dc6370about 3 years ago

Good one! I wonder if that would ever fly?

jneric2691jneric2691about 3 years ago

😂😂😂😂😂 Good one!😂😂😂😂😂

enjayemenjayemabout 3 years ago

Haha. I wish. 5***** just for the giggle it gave me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Loved it!

But seriously, Fair is a four letter word........

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Re whackadoodle

While in reality this will never happen since divorce court is such a travesty to justice and fairness, i find it odd that you are offended to the idea that an ex wife should be force to do wife duty yet we have a reality where a husband is expected to maintain a woman's standard of living.

If anything this story shows how absurd real life justice system. Yet you are offended that the fictional story explored a scenario almost the same in argument that is propping up real life divorce argument.

WargamerWargamerabout 3 years ago

Gave me a good laugh.

Thank you...

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 3 years ago

"She was weeping, pleading, saying it was nothing." - I know it's used all the time, but if the marriage means enough that it's destruction drives her to tears, why does she cheat on it?

/

The ending gained points, but if the problem is his cooking, by does she have to clean? If I were her, I'd make a week's worth of meals, and freeze them. And I'd only make dinners. Breakfast and lunch doesn't require any cooking skill.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

There is a turn I didn't expect! Thank you for some special words. I see that the ex-wife "Whacky" has her comment!

somewhere east of Omaha

ReedRichardsReedRichardsabout 3 years ago
Well, this might mean she’d have to buy him a Happy aMeal every night

It was cute! Mr Doodle took it too seriously; of course no judge would order that, but it was still funny.

Of course, as he has to transition to finding another bed partner, maybe the judge could order her to fuck him thrice a week, too?

kelchakelchaabout 3 years ago
Dense Today

Did not get the story. Was he trying for reconciliation?

TheKrrakTheKrrakabout 3 years ago

5/5 for the laughs, but would you really trust her to not poison the food?!?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
I was going to give you 3*

but since Whackdoodle didn't like it, It must be a 5* story ;)

RePhilRePhilabout 3 years ago
This would be a great

Full length story. Dam such a great premise this argument could be applied to many aspects of a divorce. You should consider expanding this one plenty of pages unwritten here buddy. 5 & FAV

KRD19254KRD19254about 3 years ago

Hmmm, the Judge does have the discretion to amend the divorce stipulations. Since you have left the story hanging, I can only hope the Judge negated the monthly alimony. It may be a No-Fault divorce process but fair-is-fair since she broke the contract. I can only hope they split all 50/50, no alimony, and both walk out free persons - forever never needing to look back.

/

3* since the story was left hanging.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
fair is fair

awesome take on divorce ha ha

FireFox59FireFox59about 3 years ago

Generally getting tried of the 750 word challenge jumble of words. Yes, I'm no longer calling them stories because they are not. But this one was pretty good jumble.

gordo12gordo12about 3 years ago

LOL, a great twist there at the end. Nicely done in 750 words. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
"Fuck You."? That's your lead in?

Whackdoodle? More like WhackJob. It's comedy, calm the fuck down. But, if you insist on taking it seriously, why do you think it's fair for the husband to be an indentured servant (working to support her), but it's not ok for him to expect anything. Especially as the wronged party.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
OH YES

5* - Just for the laugh!!

19pvc44

heathrowinneoheathrowinneoabout 3 years ago

bwahahahahaha love it! 5*'s!

whateverittakeswhateverittakesabout 3 years ago

Seems like a valid point.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Lol

You and cavigagurl giving us laughs today. Nice job!

Just_WordsJust_Wordsabout 3 years agoAuthor
Gee, folks, I'm sorry.

If I'd known that Whackadoodle's two comments would draw such supportive remarks, I would not have deleted them. My policy has been that I keep comments from people who don't like my stories, but the personal attacks get tossed in the trash where that sort of thing belongs. Thanks, everyone, for the insights. I do read comments and I do take them to heart. It was, after all, just a little joke.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Well, there could be a caveat to the judge's ruling...

She could either provide those services herself (possible area for some sort of reconciliation) or, use the $800 a month she was awarded to contract ot to a maid service???

In any case funny story.

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989about 3 years ago
Nice twist

Makes sense to me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
A perfectly valid argument

A court might actually accept this reasoning. Sadly, the more motivated the higher earning partner would be to seek parity through the transitioning of domestic chores, the less likely it would be wise to entrust their ex-spouse with the freedom to be that nearby.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Funny!

Thanks for a chuckle to start the day - well done!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

That was absolutely creative.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcabout 3 years ago

Well done - if only it were true in real life! 5* (Don't fret over editing out idiots...)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Too Bad

It is a shame you limited this to a 750 word submittal. This would have made an excellent treatise showing the walk through the imaginary court system and could become an instant classic with the LW crowd. Food for thought?

Thank you for your time and effort on this. Nice one.

Doc

jamesapplejamesappleabout 3 years ago
Cute as hell

I thoroughly enjoyed this story!

AnotherChapterAnotherChapterabout 3 years ago

Just hilarious! needed a good laugh today so thanks!

kirei8kirei8about 3 years ago
Brought a big smile to my face - great flash story

Ignore the Monday morning quarterback idiots.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
So I'm not the only one.

Courts in America have a habit of awarding wives alimony based on the judge's perception of the husband's "earning potential" regardless of the husband's employment desires. This is slavery. So why not flip the script and demand cooked meals, and sex based on the woman's sex and cooking potential. Slavery? Uh, yeah. Just like how the courts enforce good, old fashioned labor slavery on men.

Thanks for a story giving life to my thoughts on the matter.

luedonluedonabout 3 years ago

It gives a new meaning to shear a negligee.

Clippers are the usual implement rather than a filleting knife for that purpose.

,

They're just words, I suppose.

.

Lue

johnadpjohnadpabout 3 years ago
I Had An Idea For A Story Once

It's like five years from now where men had complained about the divorce courts enough that they decide to change divorce laws. So, lawmakers decide initially to make the proceeding completely open so each side would present why they should get more of the assets and more maintenance, etc.

. The husband lawyer goes first and lays out his side that he provided more of the income into the household so he should get more of the assets, and the wife should compensate him for that income.

. Then it's the wife's lawyer turn and he brings up that she has a lower income, because she had to take years off of work to have their children, but then went back to work working full time. So, her post divorce income is completely hindered by her gaps of years of experience and not getting promotions.

. Her lawyer brings in an analysis that shows that even though she worked full time, as well, she did 70-80% of the housework and child rearing. So, she wants to be compensated for that difference at $15 an hour rate.

. Then the last analysis the lawyer brings up that in their 15 years of marriage they had sex on average of 3 times a week, so 2,340 times total. She contends that each time the husband had an orgasm indicating he enjoyed the encounter, and she never had an orgasm (could be true or not). So, now the court has to assess what that is worth as far as compensation, so they bring in "professional women" to testify to gauge what a fair compensation for that is per encounter.

So, the court case instead of taking a few hours, takes weeks as the parties fight over which party did what in the marriage to warrant compensation and higher payout.

After all Fair is Fair

I think men should be careful about wanting more equality from the divorce courts. All the studies show that women fare much worse off after divorce than men.

This post and my story idea might seem like I'm taking the side of women. To a degree that is true. But my personality is such that I hate to feel like a victim or that I was treated unfairly. I think, generally speaking, and the studies and the stats bear this out, men come out much better off after a divorce. As a man, I'd rather know that is true, even if I'm forking out money, than to feel sorry for myself and feel the victim.

And if someone wants to say the LW theme is in case of cheating cases then again men are coming out much better off in divorces. Studies show that men cheat at a 50% higher frequency than women (60% of men, 40% of married women cheat). So, by making infidelity a non-issue in a divorce helps men more than women.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Ah A Good One!

I very much liked this one...new angle for sure. Too bad the courts don't work that way but a good thought nevertheless. Thanks for the story.

"Buckeye Fan"

IntuitiveJIntuitiveJabout 3 years ago

Great Story

Great story in 750 Just_words. ;-)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
fare to whom

This is a great short story, if only there was a law to see justice done.

onlythelonelyloveonlythelonelyloveabout 3 years ago
So, he will pay more?

After all, I am guessing that she had a full time job AND was responsible for housework or cooking or both? So will she be compensated for all of that? Or will he have to come every two weeks to mow her lawn or occasionally change the oil in her car, or any of those stereotypical divisions of labour? Or will his lawyer just tell him to STFU?

I mean “fair is fair” ...

iameaseliameaselabout 3 years ago

Not sure I can ever thank you enough for this one!!!

But if you write a crappy one, I'll give you a hall pass for it.

Wolf_Man_1962Wolf_Man_1962about 3 years ago
Have to agree with AnonymousinRed

Whackdoodle either has no sense of humor or is thick as a brick. Obvisouly the court isn't going to make her a slave, but this was a comment on the no-fault divorce laws across the US that punish the cheated spouse if they make more money. Yes, it happens to women too as they become bread winners, but it's still at a lower percentge. Since the 1979 SCOTUS decision, women have had to pay spousal suppurt if they make the higher income. Divorce laws still need to be revamped since it's almost a cliché now that no matter what, the faithful husband has to support the cheating wife. It's so bad that if a husband cheats he's the SOB, but if the wife cheats it's assumed "what did you do to make her cheat?" Yes the pendulum has swung to both extremes, it's time to swing it back to the center.

njlaurennjlaurenabout 3 years ago
Loved it

One of the more clever takes on divorce law.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

750 snooze fest designed to allow the writers here congratulate each other for nothing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Kind of a cute joke, or critique, regarding divorce.

Glad your character was just a foil for your punchline. If he was stupid enough to just divorce her without first arranging to become poor and inadequate to pay alimony then he deserves to be fucked over.

Thanks for the joke, and the effort.

GrimmerGrimmerabout 3 years ago

Fekkin’ funny!

Well done.

BaggyUKBaggyUKabout 3 years ago
Nailed it...

...and obviously hit a nerve. Well done for a simple hi-lite of divorce law travesty.

etchiboyetchiboyabout 3 years ago
5-stars

& Favorite

Mustang88LXMustang88LXabout 3 years ago
LMAO! That was great!

Thanks

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreeabout 3 years ago

Yes, that was good.

Original and clever.

Top ratings from me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Brilliant

Brilliant. Simply briliant. 5 stars.

maninconnmaninconnabout 3 years ago
Yeah!

Just yeah! You win! Great story in 750 words! Better than many in 750 pages!

I guess I liked it a little...

King_WillieKing_Willieabout 3 years ago
LOVED it!

However, would you really dare eat food someone probably spat on?

fritz51fritz51about 3 years ago
Wow... 5*s.

Wish I could do that - whew! all in 750 words... impressive.

Crusader235Crusader235about 3 years ago
Haha

Got us! Is she required to provide sexual favors also? I sure hope so.

tralan69ertralan69erabout 3 years ago

A fun joke. I liked it. 5/5

@sbrooks103x,

you'll make someone one a good wife someday.

GinloverGinloverabout 3 years ago

Great short story and believable

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110about 3 years ago

Women want to be treated as equals. Then why do men owe them support if the wife cheats. If she wants equality she should not expect alimony. Why shouldn't a contract of marriage be treated like any other contract? With all of this griping over equal rights for minorities in race, religion, and gender we males are becoming an endangered species. This is males of all colors and white men in particular. The pendulum has swung to far to the other direction and it is time for a correction.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitabout 3 years ago

She had a job, good enough that it required travel. That suggests that she has significant enough income to support herself. She didn’t need any alimony.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

It seems that all but one of us got the joke! Truer Words have never been written!

nixroxnixroxalmost 3 years ago

5 for this one as well.

Another short, sweet, to the point - slam dunk of the bitch.

I hope he is able to force her to cook and clean for him for the same amount of time he has to provide alimony.

He would probably have to pay that much for a maid service, let alone a cook. hahaha

ZharKhanZharKhanalmost 3 years ago

Should ask the judge to order her to meet his sexual needs.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

We missed the best part of this story...that is when she found the cut up under ware....what the hell did she feel then...we do have a real ending here.........

AngelRiderAngelRideralmost 3 years ago

I loath 750 word stories

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Like it. 5 Stars.

Trouble is, do you really want to eat food she prepares for you or have her coming into your new home on a regular basis?

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 2 years agoAuthor

To answer anonymous, "NO!" I just thought it was a cute idea for pissing off the ex.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Yeah. What AngelRider said. Me too.

desecrationdesecrationover 2 years ago

Divorce law is just insane, but the courts are not the place to divide up marriages. Too many lies and uncertainties. With almost no evidence, travesty is sure to follow, so in the grand tradition of courts, they simply penalize whoever seems to have more money.

Bilgerat13Bilgerat13over 2 years ago

Me, I love 750 word stories. It takes skill to get a point across in 750 words rather than a 2000.

Freddog6601Freddog6601over 2 years ago

Full marks. Cleverly crafted story.

Regguy69Regguy69over 2 years ago

Hilarious, god I wish it were true a judge would actually entertain the idea of fairness in a divorce..

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Nice twist to the story, love it

FD45FD45about 2 years ago

Would you trust her cooking?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Interesting twist, though incomplete.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Maybe my favorite 750 word story, and that includes my own.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Yeah, this little short short story could just open up a whole big ol’ can of worms. And I think it might be pretty entertaining if it did. Thanks for sharing, J-W. It’s definitely food for thought.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

5*s! He gets his point across!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Interesting but incomplete.

BlueEyd2BlueEyd2almost 2 years ago

clever ... improbably, but still clever

dark2donut2dark2donut2over 1 year ago

The basic problem with your reasoning is that you do not understand that marriage is not a contract.

Your perception that it is does not make it so.

Go open your marriage license and check what is there.

As far as no fault goes that is to protect all the parties from recriminations, lies, and definitely to protect judicial system from getting clogged with idiotic divorce lawsuits.

OdessaLesOdessaLesover 1 year ago

Why should her husband have to pay to support her cheating ass, why not the stud that had been fucking her. Maybe he should have to pay for that pussy. As he said, “ fair is fair”.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Yep, it might work —- but —- only if a judge was open to new information and had more to consider and make a fair ruling.

dikupinyadikupinyaover 1 year ago
hmmm

would be better if you finished it.

acupacupover 1 year ago

A wonderful lighthearted zinger at the end !

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

🤣

Helen1899Helen1899over 1 year ago

Loved it, made me smile, that's worth an extra star

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

You need double the stars for this one. Fantastic ending.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJust_Words@Just_Words
I suppose I write for many of the same reasons that others do. First, I am exorcising my demons. I use writing to explore my thoughts and emotions, sometimes embracing, and perhaps ridding myself of, my darker thoughts and sometimes finding happier themes to celebrate. It s...