Faking Forever Ch. 15-16

Story Info
Faking forever with my brother's best friend.
3.2k words
4.29
2.5k
4
6

Part 12 of the 17 part series

Updated 03/13/2024
Created 08/06/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 15

The limo bumped along the road, the driver clearly not even attempting to avoid potholes. Cici was quiet for the most part of the drive. She had mentioned wanting to talk when we woke up wrapped in each other's arms, but a knock at the cabin door had interrupted that. I rushed out to find Winston there to check on us and make sure the place was locked up properly. It was an added bonus that he saw me half-dressed and Cici strolling out of the bedroom in only a robe. I was certain my relationship with her was convincing to him now.

It was starting to convince me too.

Now in the car, though, I found it harder to avoid the topic. I avoided looking at her as I scrolled my phone. The drive was only a few hours, but a few hours could seem like days when you don't want to talk about something your co-traveler does.

"Drew, I think we should--"

"Look," I blurted out, flashing my phone screen at her. "I found this." I had been checking out my Facebook memories more frequently since Friday night now. I found another one of us when Cici was really young. Something Beck had shared on his timeline shortly after he and I met. It was a picture of us going camping with his grandparents. He had convinced me to come along and Cici was only thirteen years old. She hated anything outdoorsy at that time, and we had picked on her so much.

In the photo, however, she wore pig tails and a bright smile. She had picked a bouquet of wildflowers by the river while we fished and her grandmother snapped a picture of us guys with our fish and her with her flowers.

"I remember that day," she said softly. "You pushed me in the river 'on accident.' Grandpa was angry but you convinced him it wasn't on purpose and made me go along with it by bribing me with ice cream. Not sure I ever got that ice cream." Her eyes sparkled when she talked. I could tell it was a good memory for her too, the sort you laugh about after the passing of time. I was certain, however, in that moment she wasn't happy with me.

"Yeah, I didn't take life seriously back then. I was a bit of a jerk." I thumbed through more pictures on Beck's timeline and saw one he shared of a couple I didn't recognize. "Who's this?" I showed Cici the image and she sighed.

A melancholy look crossed her face as she said, "That's my parents. I'm sure Beck told you they died when I was only a year old. We lived with my grandparents ever since."

I felt like an asshole for bringing that up. I thought maybe it was an aunt and uncle or something, but once I looked at the picture more closely, I could see Cici resembled her mother very much.

"She was a beautiful woman, Cici. I'm sorry you never got the chance to make memories with her." I felt like I should be holding her hand or patting her back or something, but she stayed firmly planted against her side of the limo, as if she were trying to phase through the door.

"Honestly, my grandparents were the only family I ever had and I never missed my parents. Nana and Pop just made me feel loved. It's Beck who struggled. He was eleven when they died. It hit him pretty hard I guess. Nana said he's never been the same since."

Listening to her talk about such a somber topic made my heart heavy. I wanted to change the subject and lighten the mood. Still, part of me still really wanted to avoid discussing the sex we had. She would say it couldn't happen again, that it was a bad choice. I'd argue with her that it was good and why shouldn't it happen again. I liked the peace between us right now, and the sex was incredible. I thought maybe tasting what it was like would really seal the deal and get her out of my system, but it had only fanned the flames. Beck would hate me, but I felt like I needed to know if there was something between us.

"Look, Drew, I think we really need to talk about what happened." Cici picked at a stray thread on her shorts.

I put my phone down and looked out the window, instantly grateful that the driver was pulling off the road into a gas station. The limo shook around and rolled to a stop. And as it did, my phone rang. I glanced down to see Beck's number and shrugged. "I have to take this. It's work."

Cici scowled at me and opened the door. "I'm going to pee." I could tell by the tone of her voice she was irritated with me, but I had no desire to have that conversation and I was glad Beck had called. I was also glad when she shut the door and I didn't have to squirm uncomfortably on this call with him in front of her.

"It's Drew."

"Look, man, why haven't you been answering my calls and texts?" After the showdown we had while smoking cigars I had found ways to use positive misdirection to avoid interacting with him, but that time was up.

"Uh, no service in the mountains." It was partially true. We had wifi, and I had wifi calling, but I had just ignored him on a matter of principle.

"Yeah, well lame excuse." He sounded grumpy. "How did it go? I mean, what did you guys do?"

If he thought for a second I was a kiss-and-tell sort of guy he was wrong, especially when it came to his sister. "Well, I went to the festival and saw the sights and Cici locked herself in the bedroom and worked the whole weekend. We barely spoke."

"What? She said you two had some big project to do together."

I dropped my head backward and shut my eyes. Of course she told him a different story than I did. Why would anything be simple? "Yeah, she got really irritated with me. We fought and she locked herself away. We got no work done together, so lay off, alright?"

Beck's end of the line went quiet for a moment and then he changed the topic. "Look, I have a client with a huge decision on their hands, new acquisition or a merger. I need you to help me look over things and make sure I'm giving the right advice. Mind if we set up a meeting?"

"As long as it doesn't turn into a pissing match about Cici, I'm alright with that." I listened as Drew explained the situation in more detail and knew that sort of business decision would have challenged me too. I promised to help him get it sorted out and we set up a meeting for later in the week just as Cici climbed back into the car with a bag of chips, a soda, and a pair of headphones in her ears.

She eyed me as I ended the call with Beck. "You look pissed." She popped a chip into her mouth and crunched it and I shrugged. I hadn't intended to look upset, but if it kept her from talking about our sexual encounter I'd play into it. "Who was that?"

"Beck." The name drew a scowl to her face and I didn't have to say anything else. That was one thing we both had in common. Neither of us enjoyed how Beck tried to micromanage what was happening. I didn't have to discuss it with her. I could see it on her face.

"What did he want?"

"What do you think he wanted? He's got some stick up his ass because I told him I thought you were attractive."

Her face blanched. "You said that to him?"

"Yeah, and about had a fist fight too." I shook my head, crossed my arms over my chest, and watched as her cheeks flushed. "Look, I'm going to nap. Wake me up when we're in the city." I didn't wait for her to say anything else. I closed my eyes and prayed she respected my wishes. She did. I heard her turn her music up so loud I thought it would keep me from resting, but I was soon dozing, waking as the limo bumped over potholes.

Cici had no idea how I felt, and I had no idea how to tell her. Every time we started to talk it turned into an argument. She had so much repressed anger from our past, and I was just a hot head. If we didn't figure out how to talk to each other and be patient, all this would turn out to be was just a one-night stand. I hated that. I didn't want that for her--or me. I'd figure this out if it was the last thing I did.

Chapter 16

Loud music blasted from one corner of the roof where Cox held their annual Fourth of July picnic. It was my first time attending, and I was thankful to be there solo. The staff seemed to balk at the favoritism shown to me by the higher ups because Drew was on my arm for the fundraiser event in May, so it felt refreshing to simply be one of the guys. I drank a few patriotic alcoholic drinks and binged on all the delicious treats, while mostly sticking to the northwest corner of the building where the band played.

When I got hungry though, I went in search of more tasty treats only to run into Drew, standing with Mr. York and a few other managers. He looked handsome wearing jeans and a blue polo. The casual event had everyone dressing down, and the way Drew's biceps stretched the arms of his shirt made me blush and feel the need to look away. I didn't--but I thought I should have.

"Oh, Cici, I was looking for you." Drew winked at me and wrapped an arm around my waist, leaning in to kiss me on the forehead.

"I'll leave you two alone then." Mr. York smiled and headed off, temporarily providing privacy for Drew and me to talk.

"What are you doing here?" I hissed quietly. I wasn't angered by it, but I was shocked.

"York invited me. Look around. These aren't just staff members. There are clients here too."

My eyes grazed across the roof cluttered with tables and chairs and a few canopies for shade. I had seen a few clients, but assumed they were special guests. I hadn't been informed that I needed to invite any clients. Moreover, I even saw a few celebrities, probably from one or more of Cox's network shows. I had just minded my business and chatted with my staff.

"Well, I--"

"Why didn't you invite me? You didn't even tell me this was happening."

"We're not a couple." I looked away, uncomfortable with his arm around me. "And even if we were, it's okay to do things apart from each other."

"Ah," he hummed, "I see. One of those hyper-independent women."

He held me to his side tightly as he turned and started walking. I had no choice but to play along, splaying my finger across his stomach. The firm corded abs that had hovered over me that Sunday night in the cabin teased my fingertips through the shirt. It was as if he was flexing on purpose, just to torment me as he guided me right up to the big wigs again.

"Ah, Cici!" Gladys was all grins. "And Mr. Pratt." She reached a hand toward us and I shook it then Drew. "So glad you both could come."

"Wouldn't miss it." Drew cut me off before I could respond. The moment he spoke, people listened to him--York and Gladys, their spouses and a few other managers. "Cici was bragging about the lengths to which you went for this party. If the fireworks can match it, I'll be impressed. Though not as impressed as I am with how stunning my beautiful girlfriend looks tonight."

Mr. York grinned and raised his glass to Drew. I had to keep myself from rolling my eyes at him. Paying obnoxious compliments in front of people was a game. I knew it. Still, I couldn't help but be flattered by the words because I'd gone all out on my hair and makeup. Off-duty socialization with colleagues meant a chance to meet someone I had a lot in common with who didn't work in my department.

"Oh, Cici, you're so lucky to have this one." Gladys elbowed me gently and chuckled. "He's a real keeper."

I wanted to ask her if she thought that because was wealthy and prominent, but I held my tongue and nodded as Drew cut in again. "Oh, no, Gladys. I'm the lucky one. Cecilia is the catch. Any man in this city would be lucky to have her." He turned and looked into my eyes as he continued. "She is a rare gem hidden amongst the mere rocks, and I have been fortunate to have found her. Beautiful, smart, funny, and driven."

The tension between us was palpable. I felt my knees growing weak as he laid it on thick. He almost had me for a second, but I managed to clear my throat and blink a few times, regaining my composure.

"Certainly," Gladys said, sipping her drink. "We love Cici." Her words weren't convincing, but Drew's were. Especially since he didn't stop staring at me even when the first loud booms of fireworks began. Everyone turned to face the flashing lights in the sky, but I wasn't focused on the display. I was feeling my head spin.

Drew leaned down and kissed my cheek and whispered, "I'll be right back." Grateful for the respite, I folded my arms over my chest as he disappeared and tried to distract myself with the fireworks. I noticed Tifany staring at me and scowling. Drew was causing real problems in my workplace now. Even though I knew I could handle Tifany, York was the real issue. What would he think if I told him I wasn't with Drew anymore?

"Here," Drew said, returning to myside, "I got us some champagne for the big finale." He slid a flute into my hand and resumed his stance, arm around my waist. In my heart I wanted to believe that he was just doing this for York. He had told me he would talk me up and make me look good, but the sweeter he acted, the more I wondered if this was the real Drew. I hadn't even given him a chance to show me that he'd grown up, not until that night at the cabin. Grown up Drew was very good at doing grown-up things; I just didn't know if there was any substance to it.

"You really do look stunning tonight." I heard the words uttered quietly, this time no one but me could hear it.

"Why are you being like this? There was a reason I didn't invite you." I didn't mean for the words to come out harsh, but they did. I felt bad when he leaned down and kissed my forehead again.

"Because, you are quite possibly the most amazing woman I've ever met, and I wanted to show you that by being here but giving you your space. I knew we'd eventually bump into each other and I'm not sorry we did." His arm tightened around my waist, fingers curling around my hip bone. I was smitten.

The firework display continued, but his words lingered in my mind. By the time the grand finale was almost over, I was convinced that Drew Pratt really had changed. My brain knit together the ghost sensations of his hands on my naked body with the laughter we shared over Facebook memories, and the way he had complimented me tonight, and when the alcohol hit and the display was over, I turned to face him.

Without thinking about it, I rested my hands on his shoulders and rose up to peck him on the cheek, but he turned and caught my mouth. The kiss was extraordinary, his hand in my lower back, tongue tangling with mine. And the public display of affection would bring so much backlash from Tifany Andrews, but I didn't care. If this Drew was the real Drew, I wanted him to know I appreciated him and liked him--damn the consequences.

"That was sudden," he said as he pulled away. His forehead lingered against mine and the smile danced on his lips. "Let's get out of here."

My heart fluttered and I nodded. We said our goodbyes to York and crew, and he walked me down to the ground floor where his limo was waiting out front. As he got closer to the car, he pulled away from me. I thought he was opening the door for me, but he climbed in and shut it then opened the window. I was confused.

"I thought you wanted to get out of here?" I asked, suddenly feeling like an idiot for being convinced by his act.

"Oh, I did. I have a tee-time at eight tomorrow morning."

"You're not even going to offer me a ride home?" My cheeks burned with unspoken rage. He really had fooled me.

"Look, Cici. That's a privilege afforded to the woman whom I call my girlfriend, who you clearly do not want to be. Or at least a good friend--and again I'm not sure you want that either."

"That's not fair. I tried so many times to talk to you about that night, the sex." I stumbled over my words. "You acted like it was just a one-night thing." I seethed. My hands curled into fists. Why did he toy with my heart like that? I felt tears welling up but blinked them back. I refused to cry right now.

"Well the way the rest of that trip went, I assumed you wanted nothing to do with me." His callous tone stung. He had no idea what I wanted and he hadn't stopped to talk to me about it. I wanted to scream at him, but that would only give him the satisfaction of another passionate argument that lead to an almost-kiss. My heart was already breaking and I hadn't even had a chance to understand how I felt. I took a deep calming breath.

"Alright. I'm glad I know how you feel now." I was as calm as I could be. "Let me know as soon as the arrangement can be over on your end, because it's becoming a hindrance to my work and social life." I walked away, my heeled sandals clicking on the sidewalk. If he thought I was going to break down and beg him to date me he was wrong. And if he thought I was going to cry over him--well, he was right.

Just on the subway on the way home, calling Nev to admit she was right. I was in love with him.