Falling for Grace Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Mom and dad...are they ok?"

"No, they're not ok. They've had the worst fright of their life. The police called them at 4 in the morning. That call is never good news. They were afraid you were dead. Then they called my sorority house at 6 from here, and they scared the hell out of me too. I got my roommate to drive me here; no way could I drive myself. Then they called Edina before she left to come to the house, at 7AM. She freaked, then she had to wake up Grace and tell her. We've all been through hell, though nothing compared to what you've been through." Her face was all red and wet. "Dammit, Henry... I always knew I loved you. My dear brother. But I never realized just how much until this. All the time Denise was driving me here at 7 AM, I didn't know what was going to happen. At that time you were in surgery and we just didn't know. I never want to feel that again, ever."

"Ev, I'm so sorry."

"Shut up with that. All you did was stay out late with a great girl. You weren't drunk or using drugs. The hospital did a series of tests. You've had a bad week. First that dick of a cop, now this. But you know what? You've also found the best girlfriend imaginable. That sweet girl didn't want to go home. She was here from Saturday morning until 9 last night. Edina and our parents made her go home. She'll be back in the morning with everyone else. I don't know if I should tell you this..."

"Ev, you can't do that to me. Tell me?"

"You may not be ready to go to New York in August. In fact, you almost certainly won't be ready. Grace said if you have to delay until Spring semester, she's doing the same. She said she won't leave for New York until you're ready. However long it takes. She refused to hear any argument otherwise. I'm sorry, Henry, to tell you that, but I'm not sorry to tell you how great she is. But I guess you already know that."

"I do. She's amazing. In every way."

"I wish I could find a guy that incredible. Keith is really nice. We have fun together." She paused and smirked, and I could tell what she meant by that. "But I know he's not 'the one'. Henry, I'm going to get a nurse. You look exhausted."

"I only feel wiped out" I managed. I was exhausted. I never felt so tired in my life.

The doctor came back with the nurse and they checked me again. The doctor said "It's a lingering effect from the concussion. You're going to feel very tired for the next few days. We're going to let you sleep for a few hours, but I want you up by six. You need to start staying awake more, but better for it to be during the day. Miss" he said, looking at Evelyn, "if you need a place to stretch out for a few hours, you can use the bed on the other side of the curtain. It's more comfortable to sleep in than that chair. Your brother is going to sleep for a few hours. No one will bother you."

"Thanks, doctor" my sister said, lightly flirting with the young, attractive intern. I thought to myself some things never change.

"Go ahead, Ev. I need to close my eyes. Get a little sleep yourself."

"Ok Henry. I think I will. Maybe I'll dream of a handsome young doctor" she giggled. "Seriously, it's great to see you a little better. See you in a few hours." She leaned over and kissed my cheek and my nose. She was such a doll.

The nurse on duty woke me up at 6:30, but she left Evelyn alone to sleep. I noticed it was getting busier in the halls so I was sure she'd be up soon enough. More vital signs, a change of my IV bag of glucose and nutrients; I was on a no food order for the time. I learned later that was to make sure my stomach was empty in case I still needed emergency surgery and had to have anesthesia.

After Evelyn woke up, a nurse and a couple of aides moved me so they could change the bedding and empty my urine bag (fun fun fun) and then they put me back in bed. Even the small exertion of that left me wiped out. "Ev, why don't you go home and get some real sleep and get cleaned up? I'm sure mom and dad will be here in a few hours."

"They'll be here by 7:30. I go home then. Not before. I'm not leaving you alone. No way. I hope they bring me something to eat, though. I'm famished."

We sat, talked a little, but I wasn't feeling like much of a conversationalist. Still, it was good to have her there. I was trying to think about a lot of things, but it wasn't easy through the cloud of the morphine. School...college...delayed. It wasn't quite hitting me. "Ev...I won't let anyone know you told me about my injuries. Don't want mom and dad on your case."

She smiled her winning, charming smile at me. "Thanks brother. I really appreciate it. You're the best. A lot of my friends talk like they can't stand their siblings, especially the younger ones. Never me. I've always loved you and I let everyone know." She held my fingers in hers. It was very comforting.

Not long after, mom and dad arrived and they did bring something for Evelyn, a biscuit with egg and cheese. Smelling it was making my stomach rumble; I hadn't had anything for 5 days. Nothing for me, though, even my water was very limited. They both hugged and kissed me, gently. After she ate, Ev took dad's car and went home for a while to sleep and to get cleaned up. My parents and I started to talk. We had things to discuss, as best I could.

Mom started. "I called Mr. Harrison, your principal, yesterday and let him know what was going on with you. He's very concerned and sent his best. Told me to tell you to just concentrate on getting well and we'd work out something so you could graduate. You know you're not going to be able to go to graduation, Henry. It's in 4 weeks, and you just aren't going to be able to walk by then. It's more important that you do qualify for graduation. He said the school will work with you. With your grades, there shouldn't be a problem."

The doctor who was in charge of treating me came in then, a 50-something good looking woman, unusual for the times. She had an air of confidence and competence about her that was very reassuring. After examining me (more pain and misery) she let me know the skull fracture was relatively minor, no brain injury, but a neurologist would be in later to make sure. The wrist would heal cleanly in about 6 weeks and need a little physical therapy. Not too serious. The right leg was the big problem. Between the three lost toes and the bad break with 9 pins and three plates, I was looking at at least 4 months of misery filled therapy to learn to walk properly again, 2 weeks in the hospital and 3- 4 weeks in a rehab facility. There went my summer at camp as well as finishing school with my friends. And my prom. Done. I asked her "I'm supposed to be in New York for college in mid August. Is there any chance I'll be ready?"

"When you say New York, do you mean the City or upstate somewhere?"

"NYU, downtown, by Greenwich Village."

"Yes, I know where that is. Honestly, there's a chance, but realistically, I don't think you should expect to be ready for that kind of wear and tear until late September. You'd have to be very careful about the heavy foot traffic, traveling on the subway...did I say something wrong?"

"My girlfriend is going to Columbia, all the way uptown. I figured I'd be seeing her by the subway when we got together."

"Henry, that's not going to work. It's a lot of stairs with a lot of people bumping into each other. Even without the subways, just the foot traffic and dealing with all the cars and trucks...I don't think you should plan on going to New York until January, the Spring semester. I'm very sorry."

I just went silent. She said some more about medications and other things that I just didn't hear. No prom. No musical. No camp and no college in the Fall. She said she'd see me the next day and left. Then it hit me, worst of all. No Grace. Or almost no Grace, pretty much the same thing. My eyes started filling with tears.

Dad said "Henry, son, I know this is disappointing. There's a lot there that I know you didn't want to hear, especially as a senior, going off to college, and Grace. I can't imagine how you're feeling right now. But son, you're alive. When the police called us at 4 AM to tell us you were badly hurt, we didn't know if you would live or die. And we're beyond grateful we're able to have this conversation. Your mother and I will do everything we can to help you. Everything. I'm not going to tell you to not be sad or angry; you have a right to be. But when you can, think about what could have been. And you have us, you have Evelyn, and you have Edina and you have Grace. That young woman is a force of nature. She cares about you so much, and that won't change. Let us all help you, son." I just stared off onto the wall. "Come on, Rae. Let's give him a little while to think. And Grace will be here after school. She missed three days staying here, worrying about you. As I said, she's something else." They both kissed me and left me to think.

I knew he was right, I was lucky to be alive. But I didn't feel very lucky right then. I just stewed the rest of the morning and into the afternoon, making my parents feel more miserable than they were when they came in. Around noon I was moved from intensive care to a regular room for 2 patients, though the other bed was empty so far, and an old TV on the wall. Finally, Evelyn came back a little after 3 with Edina and Grace. I hadn't seen Edina since before my accident and she looked as worried about me as my mother. Grace was the one I really wanted to see. After visiting for a while, my parents, Evelyn and Edina gave Grace and I some time alone.

"Hey, baby, I've been missing you" Grace said as she kissed me. "I love you so much."

"I love you too, honey. I got a lot of bad news today." I recounted how I'd be missing prom, the musical, my graduation, camp and even my first semester at college. "And worst of all, I'll be missing you for a while. I won't be home for over a month. And then in August you'll be going to New York without me. We won't see each other for months."

"Henry, if you're delaying the start of your first year, so am I. I'll just let Columbia know I won't be starting until January, that something came up. I'm not leaving you." She sat on the edge of the bed and held my hand.

"Grace, of course you're going. This is your scholarship. You can't take a chance of losing it. No way. You have to go. I love you too much to risk that. I'd rather take the chance I could lose you."

"What about what I want? Besides, it's not like we know I'd lose my scholarship. I'm sure if there's a family situation, they'd let me delay one semester."

I looked at her, my love, my heart melting. "You'd do this for me? Give up six months of your life?"

"Henry, I love you. Remember the other night? When we made love and took that chance? We said whatever happened, we're in it together. Why is this any different?"

I said, very low "You're not...you know...?"

"No, dopey! At least, I don't know yet. It's kind of soon. My period comes around Friday. We don't have to worry until Tuesday. So two to five days. If I don't get my period by then, we have to start worrying. In the meantime, I'm going to call Columbia tomorrow and see what they say." She leaned over carefully and kissed me.

One last concern. "What about your mom? How does she feel about you taking off your first semester because of me?"

"We talked about it. It's not her preference, but she'll support whatever I decide to do, providing I keep my scholarship. That's essential. If I could lose it, I have to go." Grace got quiet and tearful. "I don't even want to think about that possibility. It won't happen anyway." Another kiss, this one a long and loving kiss. "Henry, you have got to stop scaring me already. Twice in one week is enough." She smiled, but it wasn't a strong one. "Baby, I thought I was going to lose you. When my mom woke me up at 7, I thought she was crazy or something. I was having trouble waking up until she told me you were in a car accident. I woke up right fast after that. I thought the world was ending." Tears were rolling down her cheeks. "I don't know what I would have done if..." The rest was left unsaid. She leaned on my shoulder, gently, so I could carefully hold her with my right arm. That made me feel so much better inside.

Mom, dad, Ev and Edina came back in and kept me company. Then the neurologist came in and shooed everyone out. He did some basic tests and ordered some x-rays for me, a few other tests, but he said it looked like I was a very lucky young man. Everyone thought I was lucky, except me. By the time he left I was feeling very tired, so I said goodbye to everyone. Edina promised me a big plate of shrimp and grits when I was able to eat solid food. It sounded great, especially since I was starving. I got gentle hugs and loving kisses from everyone, but then they went home. I noticed I had a phone, and I picked it up and asked to make a call. A few rings later Darrell's mother answered their phone. After making a big deal over me, including more than a few tears of her own, she gave the phone to Darrell.

"Dude! You scare us like this again, and I'm getting a new best friend!"

"Asshole. Who else would be friends with you?" It felt good to bust balls with him.

"Seriously, Henry, how are you? Really?"

I filled him in on all the bad news and I heard him choking up on the other end. "Man, I am so fucking glad you'll be ok. Losing you would be like losing a brother. I mean that. The whole school is upset. Girls crying, guys trying to be tough, but you can see some of them got pretty misty. Everyone wants to know when they can come visit. I could sell tickets."

"Seriously, this weekend, you, Chris and Cynthia. That's all I can deal with. It's really exhausting just talking right now. Just check with my parents when would be the best time. Please, man, just the three of you?"

"Deal. I promise. Just no more scares from you."

"Promise. I've had enough excitement for the year. Except..."

"Except what?" he asked warily.

"Grace and I, the other night...we kind of didn't use a condom."

Silence for a minute. "That's just fucking brilliant. Two of the smartest people around, and you do something totally stupid. I swear, you must have a death wish."

"You had to be there, Darrell. Or actually, you didn't. It was just a very special situation. We agreed if something happens, we'll deal with it together. Darrell, I love her. Like I can't even explain. And she feels the same."

"Love is great. What you did is dumb. I know you're not religious, but you'd better do some praying. Listen, I've got to go. I'll tell everyone you said hi. And I'll see you this weekend. If Edina doesn't kill you."

"Fuck you too. Seriously, love you brother."

"You too, dumbass. Love ya."

That was the end of my strength. I fell asleep ten minutes later for the night.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Grace called Columbia and, thankfully, they said she could wait to matriculate until January. It was a major weight off her shoulders and then on Saturday, she got her period. That was a massive stone off both our backs. My parents were there every day, though my dad had to go to work most of the day, and he came after. Evelyn had to go back to school, so mostly it was me and mom. And as much as I loved her, there was only so much of her and her stories about this club and that I could take. But I grinned and bared it. I was grateful to be with her.

By the weekend I was on soft foods, which are as pleasant as they sound. Soups were fine, but soft boiled eggs...not my thing. At least I was eating.

I got a roommate on Friday, an older man named Joe, recovering from heart surgery. He was the nicest man imaginable, and funny as hell. He was wonderful for my morale and we got on great.

Grace came with Cynthia, Darrell and Chris on Sunday, and that was another huge morale boost. Except for Grace, who'd seen me before then, my friends freaked out a little when they saw me, but they got past it and it was a nice visit. Darrell told me there was a list of people who wanted to come visit and I was just noncommittal.

Grace stayed when the rest left; my parents would take her home later. We talked, held hands, and just spent quiet and comfortable time together. Her dedication to me was beyond touching. I fell deeper in love with her over the weeks.

I went to the rehab facility, the best in the state, a week later. It wasn't on my parents insurance, but when your family has money and connections, things happen. I had to sit in a wheelchair for the first couple of weeks until my wrist was strong enough for me to support my weight on crutches. That was literally a pain in the ass. The therapists kept my other muscles from atrophying, which wasn't bad. What was bad was the facility was north of Myrtle Beach, which meant my mom could realistically visit once or twice during the week, and no one else could come except over the weekend. No dad. No friends. And no Grace.

Darrell and Chris told me all about prom, even bringing pictures. I was named honorary King, which was sweet of my classmates. I missed it, and felt pretty down about it.

One day, about a week before graduation, Grace came with both her brothers, Gus and Alton, as well as Edina. It was a very nice visit, and I finally met Alton, who just graduated South Carolina State U. After a while, the three of them left Grace and I alone for a while, and she wheeled me out into the garden. It was hot, but not as bad as it could have been. It was nice to have some real alone time.

"I've missed you terribly, Henry. When you get home and we can be alone, I am going to attack you. Multiple times."

"Don't make me think about it, Gracie. At least you can take care of yourself. I'm sitting around with a perpetual hardon."

She gave me a very sexy smile. "Yeah? That cute little redhead, the nurse's aid, she's been giving you sponge baths every day? She's touching what's supposed to be mine?"

"Hey, someone has to wash it. She insists on the full treatment. What am I supposed to do?"

"You're supposed to have some willpower, boy." She looked around the garden; we were in the shade of some trees and very much alone. "Tell you what, if you're quick, I can help you with your problem." She fished around in my pajamas and released my cock, all seven inches hard like granite, and started jerking me off.

"Grace," I moaned, "what are you doing? I mean, I know what you're doing. We'll get caught."

"Not if you make it fast. Considering how backed up you are, that shouldn't be a problem." She was stroking me quickly and twisting her hand slightly with each pump. My cock was leaking precum, just dripping down the head and shaft, lubricating her fingers, making it go smoothly. She was right, in less than 5 minutes, I came what felt like a gallon, making a huge mess all over her hand. I needed that, badly. She took a small towel hanging from the side of my chair and wiped us both up. "Now, no thinking about cute little redheads, or any other kind of heads." We both laughed at the play on words. "I love you Henry. With all my heart."

"I love you too, Gracie. Just as much, with all my heart." We kissed a few times until we heard her family come along. She had to leave and it hurt like hell to say goodbye. The only good thing was Edina had left me that huge plate of shrimp and grits she had promised me.

A week later, it was Grace's graduation day. I was going to miss it, miss her valedictory speech, and I was just down and depressed all morning. I wanted to be there for her more than anything.

Around 10 my parents came in with a garment bag. "Ok, what's with the bag?" I asked. "You have a party to go to later?"

"No," my mom said. "You have a graduation to go to. We're going to Grace's graduation."

"Come on. How are we going to do that?"