All Comments on 'February Sucks - Gone Girl'

by cookingwithgas

Sort by:
  • 319 Comments (Page 2)
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Interesting very imaginative twist on February Sucks -- with very plausible characters. The only part of this that strains credibility is that the body double of Marc L just happens to be not only someone who Linda knew when she was in high school but was the best friend of her prom date.

LickideesplitLickideesplitalmost 2 years ago

OK, We-The-Readers are expecting a Loving Wives story, and we get a Reluctance and Non-Consent story. A good one, but the ‘willing suspension of disbelief’ index is off the charts! Perhaps if most of the GA story had been staged in a 2000 inhabitant town, this might have been plausible. Except few of those have an NFL franchise for Marc to play in! Or a 5star restaurant!

Unrated, due to misclassification.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Probably the best rewrite of the story that just won’t go away. Giving into his own lust and Linda’s weak reason f if she died then the last person she had sex with was her rapist, shows you at least stayed true to Jim’s personality of a weak willed cuckold from the original.

I did lose the little respect I had for Jim when he had sex with Linda on their date. At that point he became a full hypocrite on cheating since he was engaged to Ellen.

You are a good writer and I hope to read some original stories from you not just rewrites of other authors.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A different and excellent story. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Groan [a very loud one] Please someone tell me why I put myself through the pain of reading any stories with February in it? Will the next one actually be a little real with out a moaning groaning wimp for the guy and a delusional unrealistic housewife. Seriously the whole pretext is stupid.

Wildbill314Wildbill314almost 2 years ago

Please, keep writing. I actually enjoyed this yarn

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A different spin on the story, well told. I enjoyed it and the character development. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Well, we have very mixed emotions and are very unsettled about the whole story, from the middle through to the end. We don't necessarily disagree with your creative take and writing, but we really don't agree and accept the whole scenario either?

Obviously we do not know how we would feel, cope and survive under the same circumstances of missing a loved one for such a length of time???

Are only significant thoughts are that we would assume (right or wrong) that at some point Linda would figure out that the Marc who kidnapped her was not the real Marc. Obviously she did! Then, did she really run off willingly with him in the beginning, and why didn't she return, call, contact, escape, or whatever? Hard to imagine, believe and understand that she continued to be held prisoner for so long?

It is also almost impossible to believe, that in this hi-tech age, that the FBI could lose track of an airplane and pilot forever and ever - that never surfaced again anywhere in the entire world? Obviously the plane landed somewhere to unload Linda and dipshit! So what happened to the plane and pilot after that?

In our case (husband and wife) it is so difficult and impossible to think through giving up on one another even after a year? Further, the real Marc supposedly had his personal PI firm trying to research, investigate and find Linda - with NO success. Also, didn't they also try to find the pilot and plane when it was known that the plane headed toward Cuba> It doesn't take rocket science to determine, even with numerous small islands, they are only so many airports and landing strips for any kind of airplane. They have to refuel somewhere and someone somewhere would have to have seen the plane???? Very poor investigating!!!!

But then, its your story line and you can twist it and tell it anyway you want.

We would love to have seen the plane and pilot tracked down to a point that then the FBI, FAA, Coast Guard, Interpol and whoever else would be watching and listening and looking.

Then, if necessary, an intervention would take place freeing Linda and uniting two desperate lovers that need to find common ground and each other again!!!!!

We have other thoughts and ideas, but this is more than enough commentary from us.

Thank you for your efforts.

SW

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Parts were well written, but, in the end, it was too long and the conclusion you made was based on unlikely thoughts and faulty conclusions. Like anything else out there, it could happen, but not in any world I know.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Not very realistic!

mfbridgesmfbridgesalmost 2 years ago

Not bad not bad, I'd say it's better then most out there. I can only think of 1 or 2 that might be better. Certainly different spin. Might have helped if Linda maybe wasn't as likeable except for her one problem with wanting to be liked/go along with "friends".

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Wow! The twist to the tale is exiting and deserves top marks. Just a couple of discrepancies in the character could be avoided. Linda had already done the same act during the college, leading to her boyfriend's suicide. So agreeing to do it again means she wanted to humiliate her husband in front of everyone. From the very beginning Jim is portrayed as an upstanding guy who believed in "One and Done". So how could he go to bed with Linda at the end, since he is already engaged and had promised to remain with his fiancé even after Linda's return.

management91399management91399almost 2 years ago

I like what you drew into this story from the original and fleshed out a few things. I think about half way through the original material I began to sense that Jim had turned into a total bastard. I think the assumption is even the "pretend" infidelity of the terrible February night equaled the real infidelity of George's original is a real misfire here. Yes, Jim is a victim but for him to meet his wife and claim his victimhood trumped her two years of being beaten and raped was a bit over the top. I felt like you wanted to find a way to make Linda like Tom Hanks in Castaway, returning to the world to find she'd lost everything. The way Jim was created in the original I doubt he would have given up so soon with the chance that Linda was abducted or murdered. Jims genius lawyer LW turns out to screw him over like his so-called friends, Jim never really has all the resources and information at hand as he should have. Then there is the case of the group of so-called friends who arranged this "prank" that led to the abduction of Linda and they come away from that pretty much blameless. I started thinking this whole thing was going to lead to Linda either offing herself or ending up in an asylum. Or better yet I imagined her going Linda Hamilton in T2 on the "pranksters" to make them pay for the loss of her family and life. Who knows maybe you got a sequel in you where that happens. But again I love the use of that early information George put in his story and expanding on that. I DO think the real Marc would have done a major audit after the $400,000 (This guy was a fill-in right, he wasn't Marc's accountant) and figured out something about where this guy was located.

But Jim comes off very badly in this, I think his resentment towards Linda is misplaced especially after he got the information from Janet on how the friends talked about him.

SouthdownSouthdownalmost 2 years ago

I read , with some surprise, a lot of the comments. Some were predictable, others were typical of deranged thinking and cuck-haters calling themselves 'anonymous' In a real situation like this the story could well have been this convoluted and untidy but as a story this was a whole universe better than the nasty original. I would be happy if I never heard anything of February again. I enjoyed it, as a story and comments about the grammar and punitive action against Jim and Ellen are typical of some less-than-stable people who comment on L.W. I gave it 5***** and it is well deserved and places this author above G.A. in my humble estimation. I could be wrong, of course, but I know what I like and this story took a lot of time to write and I thank You for submitting it to Literotica. I echo and copy a comment from "dcvngtn3"... 'Definitely better than the original, and definitely better than 95% of the alternates.

You write a damn good story, and I hope you continue to do so.'

GumpershnickalGumpershnickalalmost 2 years ago

Would have been better as an homage with new characters imo. It just veers off in such a radically different direction very compelling still. only real negative for me was when she came home, its written to make her seem needlessly whiny and Jim righteously angry. Im sorry, I dont care If she humiliated him in the worst way there's no way anyone with good moral character would unload on someone who had been what his wife had been through. he had this attitude like well you shouldn't have pranked me if you didn't want to get raped every night while chained to a bed.

McDingelMcDingelalmost 2 years ago

Very good effort, very creative too.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Thought provoking and innovative. Well done.

Dylan1Dylan1almost 2 years ago

Very nice, probably the best rewrite I have read on here. Nice twist with the kidnap. Not sure about the motives of Linda setting up Jim in the first place, that seemed a bit weird but I forgive that. I love your writing style, the dialogue was perfect. Time to look see if you have a back catalogue I think.

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraalmost 2 years ago

This writer reminds me of Gabe Kapler. Two stories and two absolute driving homers off the scoreboard in deep center field. I think you're the professional musician picking up some jam sessions on the side. If not, you missed your calling. You turned the "franchise" on its head with imagination and execution. Wow. 5+++++++++++++/5!!! Keep 'em coming!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago
The multi-verse came a calling

This story isn't even a different version of the original. After Linda leaves with Marc, it is a totally different telling. All that's the same is the names of the characters.

The author opened up the door and created a different reality that did nothing to enhance or rectify the short comings of the original story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I liked your take on this version. Too much minor details making this story too long. 4 stars

WargamerWargameralmost 2 years ago

Well, lengthy yes…. A good story?

Well, no, it was a great story. Imaginative, with flair. A tight story, well told.

I loved it. This is one of the best versions of the famous tale. Cookingwithgas you have excelled yourself.

Well done author, you have earned 5/5 and l wish l could’ve given it more.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Possibly the best alternative on this site, but please not more. Will someone please write an original story!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

My favorite of these. Well done!

PowersworderPowersworderalmost 2 years ago

A very interesting and unique twist on the original.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

February sucks ? So does this story !

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcalmost 2 years ago

I would have really enjoyed the story but you unfortunately ties it to GA’s. Your alternate version makes the same mistake he made. He represented Linda as a truest loving wife, then turned the readers on their heads by having her do something unbelievably cruel. While your “prank” wasn’t as severe as the original, it was essentially the same failed point. The plot twists and turns that followed were original. You did have some plot misses that detracted from the story as well. The romantic relationship with his therapist was a miss. Somewhat insulting to the industry, but no way Linda’s parents wouldn’t have exposed Ellen when fighting the divorce. I could go on, but simple rewrites to make this a stand alone and worthy of 5*. Unfortunately for me - 3*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

New ingredients to the old receipt made a new soup. It’s up the guests to decide the like or not. Me, myself and I, liked it. Could have been a little shorter.

Cheers, Captcha

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Very, very good.

john_sixfooterjohn_sixfooteralmost 2 years ago

Absolutely excellent!

What an original spin off! You threw in more twists and turns than I expected. Incredible plot twists, body doubles, fake names, treachery, evil prank, damn.

I actually believe much of this possible and not too far fetched. The body double is unique but possible. I've met two "twins" of mine.

I liked the shifting perspectives.

Yes, too long, but at the same time, you could expand and develop this into a full blown novel.

Sad ending but the best that could be hoped for.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

worst one to date

2 star

nixroxnixroxalmost 2 years ago

3 stars - AND once again - PLEASE STOP writing any more endings to George's horrible story.

The fantasy does not get any better or worse no matter how many of you try.

It is just becoming pathetic.

So just STOP.

Regguy69Regguy69almost 2 years ago

That is what I call a different direction! Outstanding! Completely flipped the main characters and still preserved Jim’s anguish and Linda betrayal. Can’t imagine the hell Linda survived. Killing the bastard and saving herself probably did a lot to restore her soul.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

interesting take....will give you 4 stars.....I usually give anyone who continues to write about this story and automatic 1 star. Because as I have said many times. NO MORE WITH THIS STORY!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

There was one thing that didn’t come out in the story, during their argument about who was the victim, that I would have added. By going along with this so-called ‘prank’ and actually leaving with ANY stranger else, Linda put herself into the position of being abducted, raped, murdered, etc. And that she put herself into the position of danger — instead of being with her husband who would have protected her, put a bit more of the burden on her, not Jim.

Best,

PostScriptor

KittyCampbellKittyCampbellalmost 2 years ago

This was the best follow-up version of this story to date.

Joeyiluv69Joeyiluv69almost 2 years ago

Im calling this the GOAT of all the Feb sucks submissions.

bluengraybluengrayalmost 2 years ago

This story was really well written! An entirely new take on the classic story, very plausible and believable. I was beginning to get upset when at first there was no detailed explanation of how Linda escaped, but all of a sudden there it was from her journal! Excellent work, easy 5*! Thank you for writing!

BrentJWBrentJWalmost 2 years ago

Really well told and creative inspite of the fact that I'm tired of this story. There were a couple of plot holes that kept niggling as I read. This Linda had to be awfully contemptful of Jim to go along with this as a prank, almost to the point of being evil.

Also, I've never known of any celebrity football players to use body doubles, and why would Marc use one that he knew was bad news? And Linda doesn't recognize a classmate and Robbies best friend from high school?

mainer42mainer42almost 2 years ago

What you did with the original premise was fantastic. All the sequels that have appeared here were attempts at George's story. Yours could actually stand on its own. I never and mean never read a long story in this venue, but you kept me focused and made the characters real. I thoroughly enjoyed your story and please continue to expand your talent here

Freudzslip69Freudzslip69almost 2 years ago

First let me say that if there was a way to give this story 4.5 stars, I’d have given it that.

Amongst the many ( I actually stopped counting at 52. Had I continued, I believe would be at, or near 60 so far) alternative endings, this is in the top five...or maybe make that the top three. I got a little bored in the middle and almost wanted to give up on it. I thought it was becoming a bit too pedestrian, and drawn out. But, I carried on and soon my interest was piqued again. The whole premise, I believe is a bit contrived, yet a bit unique. It poses an interesting psychological conundrum. The ending evoked a a very emotional reaction, and had me in floods of tears. Obviously, I went through almost an identical scene with someone I loved, had been married too, and had children with.

Thank you for a great effort and, as Monty Python would say; something completely different.

njlaurennjlaurenalmost 2 years ago

I give the author credit for finding a unique take in the February Sucks universe. I can see the logic behind a wife doing this as a prank. The fundamental flaw in FS is why would a wife do this, just totally ignore her husband, think he was a doormat, and not expect consequences. And yes, leaving out the gone girl aspect of this story, a wife who could do something like this is just as bad, if not worse, than a wife could go off and fuck someone else the way Linda did in the original story.

Why worse? because this kind of prank is cruel and deliberately humiliating on so many grounds. It is basically playing a cruel joke on one of the worst things a spouse can face, being humiliated in front of friends like that by someone who is supposed to protect you. You could sort of see screwing LaValliere as lust, as wanting something different, celebrity worships, where they don't set out to humiliate the spouse. This one? Complete disrespect and cruelty, and again I think even less likely to recover from, it is hitting someone where they live.

I also appreciate trying to come up with a different plot from the typical btb/revenge. if in the story Linda had gone ahead with the joke and Jim left her, it would have been conventional, other than maybe being a bit more likely than screwing La Valliere like that. Jim would have been told it was just a joke, it was stupid,the others convinced her, etc, but it would eat at him. This one as out there as it is, adds to the story in that he knows what happened, and faces an even more agonizing thing, in that he is so angry at Linda and hurt and devastated, but doesn't have someone he can even confront and is obviously hurting...with the added twist of course he thinks she ran off with the jerk....very original.

Okay, now some of the problems with it, both technical and plot wise. I was once told if you write, that make sure if you introduce plot points you can defend them or explain them, otherwise don't use them.

One big one, how likely is it that Linda wouldn't recognize Daryl? I realize he looked like La Valliere, but you think she wouldn't at least have said "holy shit, he looks just like Darryl"..given she still had memories of what happened with Robert, she wouldn't remember Daryl?

And then, with Daryl getting Linda to the Island: In the story it says they went through airport security on a flight to cuba (as if it was a regular flight)..yet you are going to get a woman who is drugged, barely able to talk, through security? You think she could answer TSA questions and not get flagged?). Then we hear the flight disappeared.......and it was a small plane. If that is the case, then a major plot point is bogus.If the idea is to disappear he wouldn't go to a big commercial airport, and there wouldn't be a scheduled flight (4 seat planes don't fly out of terminals at big airports). He would have taken her to a small field , where there is no security or the like, and gotten her out that way.

As far as the plane and pilot/owner goes, where did he go? And how would Joe/Daryl arrange that? If the pilot disappears he would be expected to be paid off..I doubt Daryl could do it.

Another thing, why was Daryl using an alias when working for Marc? Was he already on the run? And if Marc had these PI's working for him, they wouldn't run a background check on "Joe Jackson", ask for references and the like? I realize being a body double is not the same thing as working security, but still.

The big one? He and Ellen. No Therapist that cares about their client or their job would ever say "I can handle having a personal relationship with my client". It takes away objectivity, it is why a spouse is not a good therapist, no matter how much we can talk to them. Tell a therapist you are having a desire to cheat, and they will talk you through it and point out the problems with that; a spouse would likely scream and yell, walk away or cut off your you know whats:). Therapists and clients can end up having a relationship, but it would have to be after they were working together.

In the end it was an interesting tale, and different. And I liked it because it pissed Harry in VA ogg, half the fun of stories is reading his take, especially when he doesn't like it:....(I wrote a parody of february sucks, called February Oh February, that I couldn't publish on here for some really sad reasons...anyway, the main character was inspired by Harry and how he hated February Sucks and its spawn *lol*. Anyone want to read it, under same user name on storiesonline.com).

In the end, gave it a 4. I agree with others, you could have published this is a stand alone and simply said February Sucks inspired it, the story is different enough that not really sure it is in that universe.

On a technical writing side you included far too much of the original story, we didn't need all the words from the original, most people have read it. You could have summarized it and it would have worked. Another issue is you switch POV from first person Jim, first person Linda, then third person, and it was kind of rough at times.

njlaurennjlaurenalmost 2 years ago

One other thought, and that is the story wasn't satisfying in that the 'friends' , who frankly were scum, don't face massive consequences. Getting divorced didn't hurt Phil and Dee, and Dave was vile as they were..I mean, asshole texts Jim to say "Gotcha" with such a horrid joke? Both Jim and Linda should want a pound of flesh. Legally, what they did is likely not chargeable (they could be charged possibly with calling the cops out for a 'wellness check', but they could prob argue they thought Linda was in trouble). They destroyed a marriage and they should have paid a much higher price.

BlucherzBlucherzalmost 2 years ago

This is the best version of February sucks I've read to date

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I totally agree with mainer42 that this is a stand alone story. I've enjoyed reading all of the take-off of the original G.A. story, but this one has it's own merit. Thank you my friend for the joy I found in your story. LP

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Vile!

No way being friends with that vile woman

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

When this began to take on a life of its own I was a bit put off thinking it was too fantastical and ridiculous , yet I kept reading to see what the next page would bring , and then the next until I was enthralled and excitingly turning the page , anxiously anticipating your next word ! I’ve never read any shared story such as this that was able to take a story of such a powerfully cataclysmic event like the original dealt with , but then to turn it completely around and make it fit so well without a seam in it ! You even managed to retain the originals character traits and again using a unique and , sadly to say , viable , albeit very remote , scenario ! I’m truly impressed ! I was getting sick of reading these many, oh so many , endings that I nearly skipped yours , boy I’m glad I didn’t ! Worth an easy five and more !

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

What an amazing story, absolutely a stunning effort. Thank you so much. I am Buckryebob I apologize, I forgot to sign in.

fireman527fireman527almost 2 years ago
Excellent!

The Best sequel to Mr. Anderson original. You gave it a spin that was totally unexpected and well written. 6 star out of 5.

Tim_the_cajunTim_the_cajunalmost 2 years ago

At first I did not like where you went with the story. But I changed my mind. Great job on your rendition of a true classic. Very well put together. It was insightful but still sad. Great work.

BSreaderBSreaderalmost 2 years ago
Interesting

Take on this story, although I didn't like the fact the instigators of this didn't get dealt with like they should have and also I'm sentimentality and thought it a shame they couldn't gave stay married.

TeggeTeggealmost 2 years ago

Fantastic, I couldn't stop reading. 5*

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShadesalmost 2 years ago

Enjoyed this writing. I think you took this story in a new direction and did a fantastic job doing so.

Thanks for your effort and your writing.

muskyboymuskyboyalmost 2 years ago

Nope, just maybe too sick of this whole thread of stories. Bottom line, Linda just didn't love or respect him,

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great story, heart breaking and soul searching. Fantastic ending, whoa amazing! Thank You such a great great journey of heart ache and betrayal. Unexpected twists and turns. Much better writing than my version that has yet been rejected for punctuation so far. Thanks BUSTER2U

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

No matter what happened to Linda this displayed her in the least acceptable light. The total contempt you gave her in this story removed any sympathy she might have deserved and even without the kidnapping plot gone bad. If the "joke" had gone as planned the best Jim would have felt was contempt for Linda and his so called friends. They all ruined Jim's planned night of romance because they felt he was a "stick in the mud."

This did have a unique twist to a Loving Wife story so a tip of the hat for that idea.

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreameralmost 2 years ago

Probably the best follow-ups on GA's story. Still think you could have cut A lot of words without harming your story. cd

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

The fact that Jim says he's the real victim when Linda was raped and tortured for TWO YEARS completely destroys him as a character. How pathetic is he that his pride is worth more than her pain? Yeah the "prank" was awful, but making her kidnapping karma for doing the prank is utterly fucked up. How can any sane person say that's just?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Totally and absolutely prepared to give this story a "CUCK SHIT ONE" .... and then somehow gave it a deserved 5! Can't explain why other than to say well done! I guess there's a first for everything.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJalmost 2 years ago

A very unique twist. Thanks for something new.

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 2 years ago

One hell of an ending to February Sucks! Also, very different from the other contributors. Even though yours was a bit long you really surprised me, as I'm sure others also, That Linda actually capitulated and realized that her getting back with her ex was an impossibility. Everyone went there own way and did what was best for the established relationships and they all became extended family and friends. Good job! 5 stars

StiixxStiixxalmost 2 years ago
Well done

Marc finally isn’t the bad guy, and you kept me glued for 11 pages.

Bravo

Regards

Stiixx

Pasqual_ClementePasqual_Clementealmost 2 years ago

@sbrooks103x, If your decision on not reading this story is based on the assumption that it follows the basic story line of GA's work, then you are making an error. While it does start out similarly, it does go in a completely different direction. You should give it a chance. Maybe you won't like it. That is fair, but you will se that it is a different to the traditional 'Fb Sx' story line.

-

Pasqual

BlackJackSteeleBlackJackSteelealmost 2 years ago

A different slant on the story and an enjoyable read.

My only criticism is that it fell apart in page nine, when you made assumptions about how much Jim knew about where Linda had been and the fact that she had been held captive. The story became a bit confusing after that. Perhaps the ending could be rewritten to correct that confusion.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Linda would emerge from two years of forced isolation and sexual slavery even more character disordered than she was previously. She planned and executed a murder with limited resources and without remorse. With the resources at her disposal once she has returned, there would be no hope for the interloper if Jim tried to choose Ellen. In truth, Ellen would not be mourned by many. After all, she was a therapist who fucked her own patient...an unforgivable professional sin and act of sexual abuse.

flatcar44flatcar44almost 2 years ago

So what happened to the pilot & his plane? And Ellen dating a patient? Not good for her career. Well written, though a bit long. I skimmed a few pages.

hindsight2020hindsight2020almost 2 years ago

Needs a lot of work. Cut a page or so. Wrap up loose ends... But! This was a different take on this tale!

4*.

hindsight2020hindsight2020almost 2 years ago

Side comment. Clean up the tags. Add a few and what is "footbsll"?

Still 4*

pepepilotpepepilotalmost 2 years ago

I am willing to admit that I groaned a bit when I saw another story on a subject that has been written to death. And even though it was long, and at times I had to back up and reread what I had already read, I found it surprisingly good. This is the one sequel that did truly break the mold of the original story (and was believable). Excellent job overall and kudos for taking the original story on an entirely new path.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Well written, but Jim’s attitude towards Linda rubbed me the wrong way after she turned up alive. “One thing I did know: if she was going to play the victim to the 100% level, and expect sympathy it would be a short conversation.”? Say what you will about what she did at prom (when she was what, 17 or 18) and the cruel practical joke she played on Jim, she spent more than two years away from her husband and kids being raped repeatedly and essentially treated like a slave. Yes, she was very much a victim, far more than Jim.

husker506husker506almost 2 years ago

I believe you did a big disservice to Georges' storyline and didn't really comprehend the original concept. I loss your thought process on your version about part 5. I just couldn't read anymore and validate the story. I gave it a 3 but that was being kind.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

a very original version of GA.

I found that there were a few holes or inconsistencies in the story.

Kidnapping by plane seems implausible to me following air traffic control now since certain attacks.

By boat, it would have been more believable.

The romance with her therapist is hard to endorse as stated in several comments.

You also disregarded any contraceptive methods for Linda during her captivity.

2 years of unprotected sex could have gotten her pregnant.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Poor little Linda. Why'd she dance with that asshole in the first place? Drugged or not, she's the one that left with him. She wanted to be a slut, maybe for just a night, but it bit her in the ass. Don't blame Jim at all, she proved she was a whore... So she killed the "rapist". GOOD, he got his but she got hers, first...

Prince020402Prince020402almost 2 years ago

Well written and definately a different take. That being said, I have major issues with stories that are based on something that is not real. This was based on the fact that Marc Lavielle had a "body double." Pro athletes do not employ body doubles (in one part you said that Marc employed him and in another you inferred that the NFL hired him). Why would an NFL player need a body double? Keep in mind that NFL tight ends range from 6'3" to 6'8" and 230 to 280 lbs. of solid muscle. They are arguably the best athletes on the field and are truly unique individual specimens. To find someone with those dimensions that look enough like the player, with the same facial features, voice, tatoos, etc do fill in on TV interviews, public appearances or whatever you think they do would be a 1 on a billion chance of pulling off - especially as you said, was one of the most recogizable people in the country. Given the fact that Marc was incredibly handsome make it also extremely unlikely that Linda would have overlooked Darly in high school or not remembered him at frrst sight, shave head or not.

I'm sure that there have been high school boys that have committed suicide over a date gone bad but that is very rare and the kid would have had many other problems. If all of us that had been wronged by a girl as a teenager committed suicide there wouldn't be many men left in the world. Even more rare would be another kid that plotted for 10+ years to get revenge for a friend. He was educated (had an engineering degree) so hell bent on it that was committed to numerous crimes - to plan on lining up all of the illegal logistics (not to mention scouting out a semi-deserted island) with just a few days notice to go live in isolation with a woman he hates. He already had the best of all worlds, working for an NFL player (or the NFL) and getting all he pussy he wanted, and skiming off the books to boot.

Just too much suspension of belief.

Like others, i was left unsatified by the lack consequences on the "friends" especially Dee and Phil. That wasn't a prank, it was a cruel and calculated dismantling of a human being. Also, you wrote that Linda was dead set against it at the beginning but sudenly the morning of she was all in. I was waiting to read something that triggered that - why she would suddenly decide to heap such creuelty on her husband.

I read the whole thing so it ws good enough to keep my interest but those things kept nagging at me the whole way.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A HUGE departure from the original story. Actually it’s so unlike the original story that CWG did his own story a disservice. He should have written this story with totally different characters, and completely different circumstances. I could have gotten behind a new story, not a retread. Two stars ⭐️ for this one.

DeanofMeanDeanofMeanalmost 2 years ago

joke or not the marrage was over good one i think my fave of all the fs i have read but i have said that alot but io keep finding new ones thax for a different romp

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Worst version of the story ever, doesn't even rate 1 ⭐, in fact I would give it a negative five stars if I could. This is the first version where I actually hate Jim and liked Linda. 👎

BuzzCzarBuzzCzaralmost 2 years ago

Couldn't finish. Bored me to distraction.

xtc5xtc5almost 2 years ago

Great story, a little slow at points, but defiantly my favorite sequel of F.S.

Thank you for your efforts.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

It's a pretty well written story. Characters are well defined. Story moves fairly quickly. I think it doesn't fit with the Feb sucks stories, I think it could have been any sequel or a stand alone story. I think it is the only FS story that try to make both Jim and Linda protagonists. So that is unique. It's a real departure as there aren't any real antagonists to the relationship between Jim and Linda.

guyk1963guyk1963almost 2 years ago

As far as a new take on an old tale...you made it a really thoughtful and even more provocative.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Okay with the direction change from the original story. But - the flow of the story seem to change a lot. Some areas stretched out longer than I liked and some seemed rushed. Hey, take it with a grain of salt, just one opinion.

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinionalmost 2 years ago

I liked this one, I know I said I couldn't stand to see another "February Sucks" store but this one almost wasn't one. It deviated from the original so much that I didn't really mind it after a point where it radically differed and took a new turn. 4 Stars.

teedeedubteedeedubalmost 2 years ago

Yep. You changed it from ropin' a steer to herding a wagon train along the Santa Fe trail. Lots of torture. Goodness. Like watching a 30 ft. long anaconda swallow itself.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

No reason for Jim to know the story of what she did at her prom. He wasn't on the island when her captor explained it to her.

TrustingagainTrustingagainalmost 2 years ago

An angle that hasn’t been taken. Loved it.

afanoffanlitafanoffanlitalmost 2 years ago

That was arduous but very well done.

Lawrie1941Lawrie1941almost 2 years ago

Probably the best addition to the original story, not quite the emotion but a much better and more believable completion. Your construction is near perfect. Look forward to future efforts.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I’ve read most of the alternate stories and this is the best one, by far. At first, after finishing the whole story, I thought there should have been a little revenge on his “ex fiends, but I am glad you didn’t add that to this story. It made the primary characters a more positive group. Write some more!

BigfundrewBigfundrewalmost 2 years ago

What a great different way to take rhia story. Well done ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

danbo56danbo56almost 2 years ago

great writing great twist to the story different dynamic 5+ stars if there were 10 i would give it a 9 well done

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Far and away the best and most original take of the GA classic. Extremely well written, cleverly plotted and populated with complex, flawed and plausible characters.

I found Jim really difficult to like and respect; his initial anger may be fully justified, but he continues to wallow in his victimhood and refusal to give his wife the benefit of the doubt long after he discovers that it was all a stupid joke gone wrong - and his wife is really missing,. I can't blame him for moving on and forming a new relationship, but his refusal to meet her at the airport and offer her even a token embrace when they finally met, knowing full well that she'd been kidnapped, held prisoner and systematically raped for nearly two years (killing her captor in order to escape) is the behaviour of a self-indulgent, petulant child seemingly incapable of serious introspection.

Linda, in contrast, may have behaved like a thoughtless, immature idiot at the outset but she used her ordeal to gain strength and self understanding and emerged a far more mature and potent human being.

The minor characters were also multi-dimensional: Jane finding meaning and fulfilment in friendship, Ellen violating doctor/patient relationship for love, and a man who had lost everything using a friend's death as an excuse for revenge.

More please.

LA

JayZipJayZipalmost 2 years ago

Nice job finding a new angle on this scenario.

Very intelligent ending, too. Emotionally, I mean. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Agreed with most of the comments. My favorite "February Sucks" version, because although the wife did make a mistake in judgment, she didn't decide to cheat on her husband.

ChastisedmaleChastisedmalealmost 2 years ago

Thoroughly enjoyed your take on the story... although I dont understand your take on ' the best smile', if it was all a prank in the first place, and Linda knew it wasn't the real Marc, why did she give him that and Jim her 'second best'?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

It was a good story except the length. It was simply too long. Some things could have been skipped. But it was well done. Thanks for the effort.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usercookingwithgas@cookingwithgas
Romance novelist, under pen name K.L. Denison. You can follow me on Amazon, KDP and coming soon on SmashWords Like writing and posting free stories for others' enjoyment - often just to clear a writer's block. Real life can be pretty boring, so I strive to avoid the common ...