All Comments on 'February Sucks - Gone Girl'

by cookingwithgas

Sort by:
  • 319 Comments (Page 4)
AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Linda had problems. Her prank was stupid and unworthy. For some it might merit divorce, but fir most it would be a big fight and some counseling. But she was being a bitch. Nor a betrayer. Not done with malicious intent. She certainly did not deserve imprisonment and repeated rape. Too much.

Redaer99Redaer993 months ago

I think you did exactly what you said in the beginning. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and, while I am a fan of the February Sucks original, enjoyed this unusual twist. Thank you for writing it.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Shame Linda escaped. Considering her actions the punishment suited her. Also the cunts deserved to be sued and made pariahs of.

They wanted to "teach" him a lesson? What about the cops? They deserved to be sued as well. Lots of injustice carried out on Jim

TrainerOfBimbosTrainerOfBimbos3 months ago

I gave this a 4/5 because the writing was well done, but personally I found Jim and Ellen detestable. For Ellen, having any sort of relationship with a patient (even a former patient) is unethical and disgusting. There is a lot of vulnerability and emotional attachment that is built between a therapist and a patient that makes her behavior down right predatory. In fact, if she was licensed, well she wouldn't be after this getting married to a former patient in most states. Secondly, Jim's behavior towards Linda was absolutely reprehensible. The way he jumped to conclusions once it became apparent Linda was missing was disturbing and when she finally came back after being held captive, tortured, abused, raped, etc for years - he tries to conflate his feelings about what he knew was simply a joke in bad taste with what she suffered? If I was Linda, I would have clawed his goddamn eyes out.

I think Richard Gerald wrote a story back in 2017 called "Unfaithful" where the cheating wife, Simone, for some reason struck me as the absolutely most detestable person I've ever read in a LW story to date. It was a combination of her callousness and her equivocating of her "calling" as being justified enough to destroy the lives of her husband and children (and of course, engage in adultery). I think the version of Jim you have in this story comes in a close second. The way he plays up his own hurt, which in reality is largely a product of his own insecurity as somewhat equivalent to anything Linda went through in this story... reprehensible is the only word that comes to mind.

The funny thing is, I don't even think that Jim and Linda had to reconcile, I'm not even sure that would be a better ending, but what I am sure of is that the rationalization that you used for your ending was off-putting and made your hero and his fiancee look like villains and frankly, immoral people. I'll maintain that there was a better way to get to the ending that you wanted to write and the star I knocked off is because of that.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

The author's rendition was certainly one of the most creative versions of the theme. The one vague spot to me was Linda's willingness to participate in the prank. Coerced or not, how could inflicting such pain on your spouse be remotely considered if she truly loved Jim? That kept me from giving it 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

You left so many things untouched that would of changed the plot of the story significantly. First of all he should of filed for intentional affliction of emotional distress on the lot of them then proceed to file a suit against the cops.

He should of made a big ruckus about it to the point where he got considerable settlements from both the garbage friends as well as the cops for the way they handled everything.

Why doesn't anyone go for the acid in the face revenge any more? Have them go to a place together and when they get out have a few people throw plastic lined balloons filled with acid at them to rip them to pieces and once they were healed up have them raped for good measure.

They thought it was fun to destroy his marriage, they did not do their due diligence and they suffered no consequences. If someone plays the getaway driver in a bank robbery and one of the robbers kills someone they all get charged with homicide even if the driver had no gun and didn't know that could happen. The same thing applies here. They deserved to be made an example of.

Shame Linda got away, she deserved to die chained to the floor.

willyk1212willyk12123 months ago

i really like this one you almost made linds human

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

I liked what you did with this story. You found a way for almost all of the original characters to have some redemption.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

This is just moronic! In this day and age, what kind of idiot would talk to the cops without a lawyer present?

LanmandragonLanmandragonabout 2 months ago

That is certainly a novel follow-on. A somewhat far-fetched if consequent plot. I liked the idea, but found the new version about 4 chapters too long. Nevertheless, 5 stars.

SeaChangerSeaChangerabout 2 months ago

Excellent story. I am not convinced he made the right decision. Everyone in this story seems to have a therapist ... marrying a theripist who is not supposed to engage with client instead of his wife whose joke exploded ... seems wrong.

NickTeeNickTeeabout 1 month ago

Great story. Really really great. In fact I wish I had wrote it. But alas...

Without upseting you... Two things bothered me. Firstly this didn't gave to live in the terrible FS 'universe' it would have been just as good as a stand alone. My dislike and the dislike others have for that universe colours many responses.

Secondly on the last page: How do I look I said with a sneer'... Lots of authors use sneer inapropriately I think because it's a contemptuous and moking look. Hardly what I thought you were trying to express.

Well done once more. It was solid

OOAAOOAAabout 1 month ago

GREAT STORY!!!! I just missed some burning... to those fantasic and reliable friends... of course...

mfj77mfj77about 1 month ago

Excellent. Different original take on George Anderson's story. Well thought out and executed with only a few, minor plot holes.

/

There are really 2 victims in this story and one regretful party - Jim and Linda are both victims and Jane is the third party. The likelihood of Jim and Linda reconciling had to be pretty low after all the humiliation and other emotional events that Jim had been subjected to. After her kidnapping, I'm sure it would take plenty of therapy for Linda to reconcile her actions and all the following events. However, if she just remembered her initial response of "hell no" perhaps she could see how big a mistake it was to participate in the "prank". Jane is actually an interesting character. I'm curious if she gave as much detail about the planning of the prank to the police.

/

The largest, minor plot hole is the answer to the question of why Linda changed her mind from resisting the plan to "prank" her husband at seemingly the last moment as recounted by Jane. Not sure why other couples Mary and Tim and Chelsea and Paul were included in the story at all except to show how successful Phil was at manipulating others. Another plot hole is why wouldn't Jim, and perhaps even Linda or the DA not sue or prosecute the conspirators? Perhaps there is a sequel to the sequel to be written where everyone goes all-in to go after Phil and Dee now that Linda is back and the story of her kidnapping comes out.

/

All in all, a very good rendition of the "February Sucks" story.

mfj77mfj77about 1 month ago

Don’t normally read many comments but this story was so compelling, I had to take a look. Really wide diversity of views across a spectrum of emotion. So, a VERY successful story. Congratulations!

I understand “newbie” comments (often anonymous) where a new reader has stumbled upon this site and really doesn’t appreciate all the authors and the amount of time and effort it takes to create the stories. My first comments probably contained many of these issues and errors. I’ve grown up since then, unlike some reviewers. Am NOT an author of any creative stories; have only authored technical documents. I am in AWE of many of the authors on this site, some of whom must write in their sleep, having authored hundreds and, in some cases, thousands of stories. I’m following over 100 authors. Unfortunately, for all of us, some have passed away, others have simply disappeared. Some write highly erotic stories, sometimes stories I find tragic, others simply romantic and some even repulsive. Silkstockingslover, Saddletramp1956, Dtiverson, Bigguy33, lovecraft68, Colleen Thomas, DocWords, blackrandl1958, FinishTheDamnStory and RichardGerald are some of the great authors I follow. No sense listing them all here, look at my profile.

If you make a comments – OWN it.

Six (6) of 10 first reviewers expressed discontent or hate about the whole “February Sucks” story line. I would ask those reviewers why they would even bother reading and rating the story? - Martian Stupid Ray?

And

Harryin VA, lujon2019 , Jensenslover, and Boyd Percy and various Anonymous commenters– Just get over yourselves; find yourselves a therapist and work through your anger and other emotional issues. Nothing wrong with critical or negative reviews but stay on the story and don’t just rant and don’t disparage authors. See reviews by ManoBlue and Anonymous (starts with “Kind of hard to follow. ...”) for appropriate negative reviews. And for everyone’s sake, leave you politics and inappropriate social commentary out of reviews (phill1c)

Then, there are the “legalists” – “As a point of law … “ blah, blah; stop changing the story; Author’s world and laws. It’s called suspension of belief. If you can’t suspend your belief, you will really have difficulty with almost ALL stories. Even documentaries often have to “fill-in” (i.e. create fictional pieces of information) non-documented parts of the story.

And then the grammarians, sigh … You get what you pay for and this is a free site. Sure, I get really confused when the incorrect character is reference during the story and become annoyed. Half or incomplete sentences are also annoying but “… full stops rather than comma’s. …” - give me a break!

“. . . how you fly an unconscious woman at an airport.” You don’t, she wasn’t necessarily unconscious but drugged and loopy. And, again, author’s world, not real world.

OKAY – This turned into a bit of a rant – I apologize. Perhaps I ought to try publishing as a “How (not) to” for reviews.

NickTeeNickTeeabout 1 month ago

There's a nasty undercurrent in LW made up of: People who hold a viewpoint on how a story should end that's intrasigent to the extreme. There's a second group that's only too happy to put down a story because of inconsequential inconsistancies and in that I endorse mfj77's comments.

Then there's a group of long-time writers that seems to go out of their way to put down good stories early on for reasons best known to themselves alone.

Weird but there it is. I don't like willing cuck stories and I don't read them simple as that. So what's the problem? If it's not for you move on. If you read it and want to rate it please do so. Eventually the majority will define how well it was liked.

Posting hateful comments may drive new yalent away and those who start off yrying to come to grips with the reative process today may well be the talents of tomorrow whom we'll all (or just most of us) will celebrate

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

I thought this author was very creative in dealing with the most horrendous conflict in the original story. The original story has a perfect marriage. Soulmates, true love, physically, emotionally complete. Wonderful children, the home is perfect. After this is set up the wife publicly, outrageously destroys, hurts & disrespects her husband in front of all their friends on what is supposed to be a most romantic and special night for them. The husband has to decide what to do with his true love, soulmate when she reurns the next morning. This would never happen in real life, but anything can happen in fiction! The original author was a master at making you feel the impossible could happen.

In this story the conflict is completely avoided!! The wife doesn't betray, but the husband in the end does. It's the most creative ending To the original I've read!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

This may be the first version of February Sucks where I actually feel sorry for Linda. Well written but I found it quite sad.

AnonymousAnonymous9 days ago

I didn’t know what to expect and I had purposely put off reading this until I had everything else done so if it sucked then it wouldn’t ruin my night. I take reading these stories very seriously for many reasons. The foremost reason is that I always admired authors and wanted to be one but I lacked the talent, the patience and the amount of time required to work through everything it takes to create and put out an incredibly good story. I have the imagination and some great ideas that I have helped a pair of friends who are authors and one actually makes a living as such. This was so much better than I could have imagined. Your POV switching actually worked and that is almost as rare as finding more than one peanut in a regular sized box of Cracker Jack. This was a deeply sad and emotionally intense story that kept reinvesting its sadness over and over again. I didn’t expect the ending so that was a nice twist which allowed things to play out perfectly. Thank for taking a huge risk by beating a dead horse that apparently wasn’t totally dead after all but as just stunned. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usercookingwithgas@cookingwithgas
Romance novelist, under pen name K.L. Denison. You can follow me on Amazon, KDP and coming soon on SmashWords Like writing and posting free stories for others' enjoyment - often just to clear a writer's block. Real life can be pretty boring, so I strive to avoid the common ...