All Comments on 'February Sucks - Gone Girl'

by cookingwithgas

Sort by:
  • 318 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Really awful writing. More than one first-person narrator, past and present tense, stupid plot devices, a complete change in the story, and I am fucking sick of this story. It's like the monster that won't die.

CHUCK2468CHUCK2468almost 2 years ago

Boring and repetitive. You could have taken out 3 and a half pages and it wouldn't have affected the story at all.

To much blah blah blah. 1*

truthandjustice99truthandjustice99almost 2 years ago

Interesting story. Personally I would like to see a alternative where the wife after escaping and finding her husband has divorced her sues ex husband to get back her children, the house half of everything he owns all her property as of her kidnapping. Sue the women who took her place for alienation of affection Go full revenge burn the husband Wouldn't get husband back but thats not the point

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 2 years ago

This is so vile so disgusting so wretchedly bad at the author should be in jail. 11 pages of the most mindless pathetically stupid Storytelling of all time.

.

And what's worse is that in the prolog the author goes out of his way to say that he tries to follow the original intent of the story and tries not to change the characters in the story too much.

.

Even worse is that there's absolutely no revenge made against the people involved in this stupid prank.

.

Kidnapping? Tropical island? The FBI?

What's next ....UFO's? The lochness monster?

Intergalactic tine dimension?

lujon2019lujon2019almost 2 years ago

cucks get one star, as do cheaters

by having sex with the lying cheating whore he became a cuck and a cheater

JensensloverJensensloveralmost 2 years ago

Nope! ENOUGH, its been done to fucking death! 1*

ManoBlueManoBluealmost 2 years ago

Didn't like it! You made victims out of trash character from the original! I love alternative stories so that's not the reason. Majority of these story's Jim doesn't do enough for me.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago
wrost

one yet

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Over the top premise deserves an over the top rewrite, so really good, considering the weird caricatures you had to work with.

ScaliaScaliaalmost 2 years ago

1. As a point of law, any therapist who gets involved with a patient or former patient runs the risk of losing his or her professional license.

2. This is the best follow-up to GA's story. I absolutely loved it.

I

Pasqual_ClementePasqual_Clementealmost 2 years ago

Not only is this an excellent addition to the growing numbers of "Fb Sx" sagas, I think it could have been a good stand alone story with out using the characters and situation from GA's opus. This is a truly different, highly imaginative and well written story. You avoided the tropes that many writers fall back on. I am, a little, saddened that Jim and Linda did not get back together, but the way you had them part at the end was touching. 5⭐s. And I will be reading your other story, adding you to my list of favorite authors and following you. Thank-you

-

Pasqual

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Got to page 4 couldn't go any further

So bloody boring!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Sir author please,

can you explain how you fly an unconscious woman at an airport.

Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

It was a good take on an old story, however various spelling mistakes within the mass amount of pages, suggest a proof reader independent of this site, as they cannot see them and just published. Would have been 5 star if wasn't for spelling errors in multiple areas, and over use of full stops rather than comma's. But like your ending states we all make mistakes wouldn't be human if we didn't.

chrisr357chrisr357almost 2 years ago

Well done!

You say that there may be a hundred follow up versions to “February Sucks” well this one is in the top five and may be the best.

You took us in a totally unexpected direction and managed to craft a happy ending

servant111servant111almost 2 years ago

Very good read and congratulations, you have managed a rare achievement. You have written a rather masterful and unique add-on to George Anderson’s original tale. You accomplished that rarest of all authorial achievements; your writing ripped deep emotions out of my core…!! Furthermore you made me THINK…to place myself in the character’s shoes and feel the heights and depths with them. Even better your add-on actually transcended Anderson’s original to stand on its own as an even better work!!

Simply OUTSTANDING in every way!!! 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Convoluted, overly long and several elements left hanging.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

different than the others but not any better. Pretty slow in spots but original. 3*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Kind of hard to follow. You speak if jane one moment and the next he is on a date with her , just to find out that actually its with ellen not jane. Then you started telling about jane fierce loyalty.. where was that loyalty? And with ellen, from what i read , she was all mind games. He was led in to that relationship, and then pushed in moving toghter and divorce. He did not take a single decision by himself. He was a doormat, or a robot. Tried to portray ellen as a saint ,but she comes as manipulative. The resolution with linda... Well you made her during captivity to apear a genuinly remorsed woman for the pain caused to jim and their kids for her prank, and after she returns she is yelling at everyone that she is the victim there. She is a victim of circumstances and by her choice to out herself in the risk, (she is a victim), but her familly is a victim by her own and her friends making. Then you make him a cheater. And then the act of him going to talk with linda date, its so cringe..its not even funny. My conclusion its to space your convo and meke them more clear on who you are talking to, and stop with the cringe stuf. 3 stars .

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Not a bad take. But Ellen is gross because despite what you implied, patients and therapists don't usually start dating and/or fucking. And if they do, those therapists or psychologists are trash, and shouldn't be allowed to do that job anymore. So, Ellen is trash.

VickiT375VickiT375almost 2 years ago

I liked it. I do have to point out it’s not true to the original. It really is a unique story that jumps off from the hotel room checkout.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

What unmitigated drivel. Can these sequels get any worse. No more please!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A very interesting take on the February Sucks template!! Please keep writing!

vhasstvhasstalmost 2 years ago

There i was sneaking in a LW story after breakfast and a cup of tea before getting on with my day.. Damn.. i have learnt that "february sucks" is a reciepe for some of the worst concieved stories on Literotica, then this happened.. Damn. . Read in one sitting and ruined my timetable for the day. A tale well told.

Congratulations.

MightyheartMightyheartalmost 2 years ago

What a long mess !

Pick up a new premise and set your story there.

Why mess up an old story ?

It has nothing to do with that story

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Stupid and to long

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Very good. Probably the best adaptation of the original I have read. I liked that you resolved it without burning anybody or reconciling the marriage. The original slight, even the “joke” version was so disrespectful that any reconciliation makes the husband look like a complete loser and wimp. You found a third way and it works well.

skruff101skruff101almost 2 years ago

So we have another eleven pages elaborating on the February Sucks (also known by the more appropriate title ‘The spawn of Satan’) nonsense.

Going off at a complete tangent to the original was better than the usual tripe, in fact it could have easily worked as a stand alone story, linking it into the GA’s dirge was a mistake, it wouldn’t have taken much to distance it from that mess, just a few changes in names and scenarios it could of had a life of its own rather than the ignominy of forever being associated with the plethora of also rans.

WestcamWestcamalmost 2 years ago

An absolute ripper of a variation on a well-worn theme. Brilliantly done!

phill1cphill1calmost 2 years ago

I literally could not get through this story the first time. I just can't read 11 pages centered around a villain that is pursuing some agenda from high school.

It's too close to what Red State America has turned into: a bunch of whiny male babies incapable of adult thinking or relationships. It's pathetic.

Negative Zero: much of it wasn't even original.

mikeyjb51mikeyjb51almost 2 years ago

This may be the best of the responses to George's story. Well done, keep on writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Somebody turned the gas of.

SwordWielderSwordWielderalmost 2 years ago

Thank you. This is one of the best takes on this story. Considering the prank, if it had gone off correctly Jim would have had reason to end friendship with all of those people - EXCEPT for that 1 couple that knew nothing, and very well may have divorced Linda for that stunt. The end result was Jim and Linda both went through hell due to her actions. Jim's life is better and I'm sure Linda will regret her actions for the rest of her life. I think Jim should have sued his friends for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

he best written story I have read on Literotica.

InescuInescualmost 2 years ago

It was an interesting premise and very well written, Kudos to you. However the whole bit with ending up with his therapist soured me on the ending. Yeah, she didn't have any conflicts of interest, no siree. No manipulation there at all.

Frank66Frank66almost 2 years ago

First- liked the story and gave it a 5. It was hard to reconcile this version with all the others, as it took things in such a completely different direction. Credibility suffered, but all thing meshed and came together at the end. The 'prank', called a cruel joke, (should have used the words 'sick and twisted', too) was almost impossible to believe. Linda could NOT have been that uncaring of her husbands feelings. The friends calling for a 'wellness check' the next day? after 'looking smug behind the detectives', but worried about their friend? Doesn't compute, also getting Linda thru airport security, customs, and whatever while drugged and out of it. Living with her kidnapper for 2 years and never bopping him over the head with the frying pan because her ankle was chained? Sleeping with Linda, (yes, cheating on Ellen) having great sex but both agreeing it was over then? Problems exist, but still I found it a very enjoyable read.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Wow that took a quick left turn, a few cartwheels, and then a slow trip to Paducah…. It was well written, and it was a good story. I think you actually cheated yourself. The story deserved its own character set without putting yourself under without putting yourself inside the “February Sucks” universe.

JH4FunJH4Funalmost 2 years ago
Well written, even if a bit long (3 Stars)

While I like most of the February Suck follow on stories. Yours was a good one. It was just a bit long for me. With that said even if you had condensed it to 4 or 5 pages, it would still only be 3 Stars. For me a good story has all the details you included and a resulting end that I can appreciate. You had those included and your result where good based on the details given. That makes it a good story in my book.

Your writing was interesting to read for me. I liked the style and content.

Keep Writing

JH4Fun

snarbozsnarbozalmost 2 years ago

One of the better takes on February

numbnutz49numbnutz49almost 2 years ago

Wow, finally a real twist to this famous/infamous story. I've read many of the sequels but not all! This story's twist of a consensual "trick" on her husband and then being forced into a two year NC relationship with someone from her past created a lot of positive tension. I rated this story at the top of the scale so clearly I liked it but I want to stimulate some other thought of where to take this story. By now, a lot of folks know about the evil Marc/Mark so how about a different version of this story showing how other couples are challenged by a similar situation. You can avoid needing to post the background story since 95% of the LW readers on this story have probably read 30-40 different versions already. Just thinking out loud but I sure want to see the score for this story go higher than what it is right now!

dcvngtn3dcvngtn3almost 2 years ago

This is definitely one of the better continuations I've read. You took someone else's idea and really put your own unique spin on this. Definitely better than the original, and definitely better than 95% of the alternates.

You write a damn good story, and I hope you continue to do so.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Now that was a really different take on the story. Well written, with characters that never strayed from their identity and logical events. That said I do have two beefs. One is Linda's parents. Their far less than enthusiastic welcome home for her didn't feel realistic. The second was not at least trying to get Phil and Dee indicted for aiding and abetting in the kidnapping. How do we know that they were innocent?

Rolando1225Rolando1225almost 2 years ago

A different spin off, meriting a 5*. A very nice effort if a little too long for my taste. End seems logical, but with no loose ends. I love loose ends; they make you wonder... But hey, this is just another fantasy, and like in the movie "Pretty Woman" I can hear a guy screaming in the background... THIS IS HOLLYWOOD... WHAT'S YOUR DREAM?

miket0422miket0422almost 2 years ago

11 pages and to my way back f thinking one major question was not answered.

Jane said that at first Linda was dead set against the prank. Then, after she agreed to go along with it she was only half heartedly into it. For some reason, the day before they all went out she was suddenly all in on it.

What happened February 28th to make her all going ho to go along with the prank?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Too too long and actually meant nothing!!! I think it’s time wannabe writers bury the ghost of GA’s story once and for all!!

FireFox59FireFox59almost 2 years ago

You really, really should have left this dead horse story alone. I'd quit reading most of these long ago but I thought I'd give yours a try. Got though around page 4 and threw in the towel. I was leery of an 11 page sequel and I was correct. It was waaaay too long and drawn out. I wasn't going through 7 more pages so I just skipped the end. Which I found to be pretty cheesy to say the least. It is a different take but that still doesn't make it good.

You're a really good writer with tons of potential. But I really didn't like this one and hope you'll post some of your own stuff instead of doing more sequels.

BodyThiefByTheBayBodyThiefByTheBayalmost 2 years ago

Well, certainly a new twist to a good story. This proves there are consequences to poorly thought jokes. With so-called friends, well you know the rest of the saying. Rape, to me, is very distasteful, even in fiction. That will explain some bias in my grading. This could have not been done better.

For a new Literotica writer, this was exemplary

Flow: very good

Grammar very good (better than mine by a long shot)

Storyline: usually for redux of previous works, I don't give much credence in this category, but this author, but he took a new path that was never taken before, at least to my knowledge. Excellent

Keeping my interest: Very, very good, although I skipped rape scenes.

Final grade: Drum roll (for those who don't care, stop reading)

4.65

someoneothersomeoneotheralmost 2 years ago

Really a sad story that may potentially have taken LW into a new territory. Linda never cheated, but agreed with others to disrespect and humiliate the husband she purportedly loved. For that, she was held captive and raped for two years, and lost her family. It is punishment that even BTB crowd should have some concern. At the same time, Jim is no hero.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Excellent from start to finish!

Definitely a story line no one else has presented.

The story resolution was on point. This just became one of my go to stories to reread.

rmeyerhormeyerhoalmost 2 years ago

May be the best "February Sucks" after story yet. Great job.

Monagamous_NowMonagamous_Nowalmost 2 years ago

I've read every one of these Feb Sucks variants. This was very well done - I loved it tremendously.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

how did that prank work out.......Karma what a bitch

Gmann006Gmann006almost 2 years ago

i think thats the best story of them all . entertaining

Jack99Jack99almost 2 years ago

It was alright. But honestly, felt Jim was the bigger asshole in this version.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Very clever and well written 5stars from me.you need to do more stories as you are one of the best on this site

bobareenobobareenoalmost 2 years ago

As follow ups to the original go, this one missed the mark. The problem is, this version jettisons the impactful premise of the original, that she betrayed her husband in the most devastating manner possible, replacing it with an empty and sadistic prank that went wrong, making her a victim, too. The tale of the high school boyfriend’s betrayal and suicide had no resonance, Linda and Robbie weren’t married, it was a high school dance, it was an insipid parallel that added nothing to the original’s scenario. Once the story threw out the major premise of the original, except in the form of the prank and the betrayal of a high school boyfriend, it lost all of the tension and pain of the original. Linda was off getting raped and fighting for her life, and her husband was engaged in a sexual affair with his therapist, Ellen, that would surely have ended her therapist’s license should the Licensing Board ever learn of her violation of ethics. I have understood, in other rewrites, the catharsis in having the MC respond more proactively to Marc and his wife's humiliation of him, but I don’t think this dampening down of the impact of the Marc LaValliere night, replacing it with the sadistic prank and the madness of a friend of the high school boyfriend of Linda, was a cathartic, or even an interesting, response to the original premise. The best rewrites, in my view, address the actual premise head on, then take the response in a new direction.

cookingwithgascookingwithgasalmost 2 years agoAuthor

As always, i really do appreciate the comments. Even the bad ones. They help me get better as a writer. I do need some help from authors/editors. In my mainstream published stories, i have a fascination with time. That causes me plenty of trouble with tenses. My wonderful editor for this story is a real stickler about that and pulled some of my narrator past-to-past tense into past perfect, and I'm no lit major but apparently, past-to-past-to-past somehow becomes present tense in certain cases. I guess its like 3 rights make a left. I want to know specifically, if the story as narrated by Jim and Linda was easy to follow in the sense that you knew what time period you were reading about, as the story bounced back and forth? We spent as much time editing it as writing it, so your honest feedback in that regard would be most helpful. Thanks for reading!

mattenwmattenwalmost 2 years ago

A really well told story with an excellent plot! One of the really good "additions" to the original story!

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmithalmost 2 years ago

Wow that was a completely different way to go. 5 stars!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

cookingwithgas should be commended for taking this story in an obvious alternative direction given the absolutely ridiculous premise that GA gave us — that a truly loving wife would ever…EVER…pull a stunt like walking off with a celebrity for a night of fucking and sucking…and expect to return as “the same old me”. Given that idiotic premise….the idea of a bad (and cruel) joke being played was an excellent alternative explanation for Jim being deserted. Still a totally despicable thing to do on the part of the wife…..and “friends” …. but arguably a bit more “realistic” than the original premise.

.

So once this alternative explanation is introduced, the author decided to have it “go sideways” and hence the resultant completely different story….albeit one which at least DOES NOT render Jim a complete cuck … just a victim of a few cruel “friends” … and his wife.

.

As to the alternative story itself…very entertaining. Well written and paced. The alternative plot was really “only” about 6 or 7 pages … given that the first 3 or 4 were essentially GA’s words repeated to set up the alternate plot line.

.

Great job! An easy 4 **** ….. and maybe I’ll just click on tne 5 😎

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

After reading Harry scary.

Avoided a read of lengthy prater.

LOVE slap-hapy-papy #9

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago
Well

This story was impressive. I was a little nervous that Jim was going to take Linda back considering the circumstances. But, she had poisoned the well with her previous stunts that it is plausible for Jim moved on and not come back.

Jim and Linda having a good relationship after the divorce is also plausible. It all depends on the players involved. I have seen relationships become better than ever post divorce after sex and anger are taken out of the picture.

Hard to say Linda could be a better after her two year ordeal. I kinda think she bounced back a little too quickly. But, the route the author went made it easier wrap an already long story.

Full marks for a well thought out sequel. One of the better ones posted.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Well, this certainly seems to have attracted unusually large percentages of both lovers and haters!

I thought it was pretty good. I thought that Linda’s disappearance and Jim’s arrest were interesting twists. And I was especially impressed by the way two mostly decent people managed to agree that too much time had passed and too many things had happened to put the marriage back together. Neither a BTB or RAAC, but a bittersweet mourning of loss and moving ahead with life as well as damaged people can. Thanks.

AbctoyAbctoyalmost 2 years ago

What a asinine story. He rreally believes half the shit and is treated the way he is by the authorities? He knows it was a prank and had her misgiven participation. This is right there with many of the drivel pawned off as an ending to the Februrary story. I am so sick of these shit stories. For wasting my time 1*

AbctoyAbctoyalmost 2 years ago

I wrote a scathing review of this story. I see you are a new writter here so please accept my apology for the harshness. Continue to write even though I did not concider this plot good in any way. Keep trying.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 2 years ago

@Pasqual, so you're "a little, saddened that Jim and Linda did not get back together?" Based on the length and the comments I'll be passing on this, so I'm probably missing something, but if this was at all true to the original, there is NO FUCKING WAY they can get back together!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

@lujon2019

cucks get one star, as do cheaters

by having sex with the lying cheating whore he became a cuck and a cheater

/

At what point in your life did you know that you were a cuck just like all of the cucks you whine about.

HoldenMiyoneHoldenMiyonealmost 2 years ago

The best finish I’ve read

furrycarl1956furrycarl1956almost 2 years ago

The Wellness Check was nonsense right off the bat. Made the rest of it unbelievable. At least he didn't end up with Linda.

CDRLawCDRLawalmost 2 years ago

A really good beginning & fresh take on this cliched theme. But then right into the toilet. The kidnapping, exotic locale, daring escape are all out of a Lifetime movie. And totally unnecessary. The story stood on its feet before all that. And FYI: in every state a mental health professional who has been found to have had a sexual relationship with a patient or client is subject to loss of license to practice. In most states it’s also a felony.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Only made it through 5 pages before falling asleep. I saved it though and will get back to it. It’s an interesting story line, but author has dragged things out by being redundant. Will hold off scoring until (and if) I finally finish it.

Wh00sherWh00sheralmost 2 years ago

Because there are zero original story ideas left in the world 🙄

Awful, just awful writing.

Rocky62Rocky62almost 2 years ago

Well that was a decent mini series spinoff. Killed with a butter knife, awesome. Just like the sherrif of nottingham (alan richman) who threatened a henchman with death via a spoon, a dull spoon if i remember correctly

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Time to put the follow ups on this to bed. The original was best and sequels have all bombed.

Taio9Taio9almost 2 years ago

Very long - but perhaps the best February take off. I don’t rate many a 5 but this one earned it

. Thanks for a great afternoon read !

MonsieurXMonsieurXalmost 2 years ago

Good job. It’s hard to come up with a new take on this story, make it entertaining, and execute it quite well. Not perfect, but definitely one of the better efforts at retelling the story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Pretty decent

Though I hate that it keeps the original alive

A little long

And one weird moment: can you get a divorce annulled?

I don’t think that’s how that works

But overall pretty good

TechumsahTechumsahalmost 2 years ago

A long one, but a way better take than most of the other continuations.

zafusitterzafusitteralmost 2 years ago

Unique view of the story very well written. Not one of the 100. No Navy Seals. No BTB, no RAAC. Real people, pain and hope.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

what a brilliant take this was of the original idea. Many thanks for taking the time to write this one.

012Say012Sayalmost 2 years ago

What an effort! I am among those writing an alternate ending. I believe the story has generated so much interest because of two despicable characters: Marc and Linda. It was impossible for me to imagine a woman cruel enough to walk out on a special evening - your story gave a rationale, perhaps not a good one (for a real person), but certainly the best I have seen. And you mad Marc (albeit a double) truly evil - and took care of him appropriately.

I also liked the lack of reconciliation. Even though in your story, it was a prank gone wrong, it is still an unforgivable act. I don't know if it was your intent, but the high school prom dumping is a more believable event - immature act by someone to another to whom there is no life commitment.

Well done - 5, from me.

KRD19254KRD19254almost 2 years ago

This is very impressive, little long but really captivating. I'm glad this one it not a RAAC but a balanced story with higher probabilities. \

\

There were four obvious typo's but not really affecting the story - for a newbie that is impressive at it's own level. I just would not have copied all the other stories into yours but noted the take-off point. Smart you did it Italicized!

\

I see seriously grand stories in this writers future.

\

5*, Hooyah, Salutes....

Mac_LapuMac_Lapualmost 2 years ago

Excellent read.

I do feel it is in some instances quite unrealistic but yes I enjoyed reading it.

Nice take on the Feb Suck story, Mr./Ms. cookingwithgas.

Although I think the Linda character is quite far off from what the writer GA intended.

Linda was and is in most of the alternate versions, a narcissistic woman.

/

This writer's version wasn't a self-centered woman. Although this Linda did have far so much sex than the original Linda. This could have been a whole new story and it would not diminish the outstanding story which the writer made, I think maybe Mr./Ms. cookingwithgas should have made this a stand-alone story and not attached this one to GA's horrible tale. I could empathize with this kind of Linda, but not GA's Linda.

/

The story's plot was well-thought.

The characters were brilliantly built-up.

And the ending was a bit what I expected.

For that, thank you, cookingwithgas for sharing this.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Wellllllllllllll, that was different. Well done.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitalmost 2 years ago

I liked it. Long, and a completely different story, but very good. Linda’s comeuppance was perfect. Jim trying, when he didn’t want to, is true to character. Nobody deserves her ordeal, but after agreeing to that joke, she didn’t deserve Jim anymore.

Still, there’s a couple of missing pieces:

- Linda didn’t expect the kidnapping, but it only happened because she agreed to that hideous joke.

- presumably, living captive at Cayman Brac, Linda wasn’t on birth control. Why no pregnancy, or stress over the risk?

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 2 years ago

"In their complaint, they state Linda returned to your room. Dee was never able to contact Linda, by call or text." - I decided to take a peek, see how the beginning changed. If Dee was never able to contact Linda, how do they know she returned to the room?

\

Okay, I "know" (from watching police shows on TV, LOL!) that cops like to tie things up in neat bows, but now they KNOW that Linda left him in the club (with a man arranged by her "friends"), and never returned to the hotel. Jim is on tape entering and leaving the hotel alone, in what way can he still be under suspicion?

\

"They said they wanted to lighten you up, maybe teach you to have a sense of humor." - That's so stoopid! Even if it went off without a hitch, it wouldn't "lighten [him] up," it would piss him off.

\

How could he have gotten her through TSA so drugged up?

\

"Maybe she'd been thinking she could have somehow stopped this train wreck." - She probably could have! Linda likely wouldn't have gone along if Jane told her it was a fucked up idea. She could have told Jim at the time that it was just a joke.

\

On Page 6, can't see how this can drag out for five more pages.

\

Heh, so that wasn't Linda's first time dumping her date! I know it's been years, but even as a joke, how could she even THINK of pulling the same stunt?

\

"Needless to say, he never really got over you." - Unless he left a note, there's no knowing what caused the suicide.

\

I'm surprised she didn't pull a "Princess Leia/Jabba the Hutt" and strangle him with the chain, or bite off his dick if he wanted a blow job.

\

"We'd never discussed being exclusive" - It has nothing to do with being "exclusive," they were on a date, a special date, but it wouldn't matter if it was just their first date.

\

"Jane had better adapted than I, to be honest." - Of course, her situation wasn't as traumatic.

\

There's a minor time warp. In the Linda scene before he got together with Ellen, Linda said it had been two years, but in the next section, Jim said it was a year and a half.

\

"I'd tried to sleep in my childhood bed." - "Childhood bed?" Didn't they go to the condo?

\

"I'm the goddamned victim!" - Which she wouldn't have been if she hadn't pulled that stupid prank.

\

"The fact I never learned from that first mistake will haunt me forever." - Yeppers. After Robbie she should have been more sensitive.

\

Okay, I managed to read it all, skimmed in places, was definitely too long. Could have left off the whole kidnapping piece, the prank would have been enough to doom them.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Extremely original. Tense. Good job. 5*

JensensloverJensensloveralmost 2 years ago

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH! So repeatitive! At least 5 pages too long.

SkubabillSkubabillalmost 2 years ago

I almost gave this one a pass. It was 11 pages of another ho hum February Sucks sequel and on top pf all that it didn't look as if it would grade well. I am really glad I changed my mind. It turned out to b5e one of the best alt1ernatives so far. Five well deserved stars

robinhodrobinhodalmost 2 years ago

I got as far as page 5.

Why do people keep flogging this dead horse?

The concept of a 'joke' made no sense to me, and certainly did not fit the characterizations as so well laid out in the original.

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989almost 2 years ago

Difficult to rate. Probably would have given it a 5 if you

irinmikeirinmikealmost 2 years ago

A nice twist but still really did not portray the main characters in the vain George intended. The original story was centered around how a famous man felt he had the right to take any woman he so desired. Having the famous man's double kidnap Linda hardly stays on script. I have reread George Anderson's story a few times and the second theme he centered his story around was how the two main characters Jim and Linda dealt with her betrayal. I would have liked to have seen the scope of Jim's humiliation and subsequent interaction with Linda take a more personal and up close path, but instead this seqeul goes right off the rails with a plot line that George had no intention of following. The writing itself was well done and this story in my mind would have been better as a stand alone tale, rather than an alternat ending. I gave it a four because of my reaction to the side tracking from the original tale. As a stand alone story it would have been easily a five.

MattblackUKMattblackUKalmost 2 years ago

I liked how you took one element and based your story on that. When he returned to the table with Dee how could everyone else at the table have known Linda had gone off with Marc unless they had foreknowledge of the event?

FD45FD45almost 2 years ago

I was shocked that someone could still earn a 3.9 on this.

I see why now. It had a good hook and a couple of twists.

Rainman80Rainman80almost 2 years ago

Totally different direction than the other add-ons to Anderson's story

Thank you

iammweaseliammweaselalmost 2 years ago

Probably the best written take out of the 4,582 different endings we've endured.

A bit long with too much filler though, thought that in and of itself didnt ruin the story.

The basic premise required a HUGE suspension of disbelief, because any wife that pulled a stunt like that was either saying "Honey I want a divorce" or "Sign us up for MC day after tomorrow", and add in literally everyone around him willing to fry a marriage, including wifie, for a "prank".

JoeBetterBNiceJoeBetterBNicealmost 2 years ago

The good: I felt this was an original take and you told enough about the characters that engaged me that I wanted to finish the story and see how you ended it.

The bad: Probably could have been edited down for length a bit, I found myself skimming over some paragraphs, so some details could have been left out.

The worst: This is just me, doesn't mean the writer is bad or anything, just not informed about some of what is being written about. I am, by profession, a counselor. Having a relationship w/ a client is absolutely the worst ethical thing a counselor can do. Some things are minor boundary violations, like accepting a small gift from your client or patronising their business. Bigger violation is seeing your client for a non-professional meeting (such as dinner). The worst, automatic loss of license, is screwing your client. Not only is a breech of ethics, the type of person that would offer to counsel someone about loss of a loved one and then take advantage of that relationship to become romantically involved says a lot about what type of human being one is. The reason for not sleeping w/ your clients is obvious to anyone in the field as the professional is taking advantage of their therapeutic bond. A gynecologist feeling up his patients is on firmer moral ground. So, with my knowledge that decent human being counselors don't do this, I hated our hero being taken advantage of by his amoral post-divorce girlfriend posing as a therapist. Sorry, this pretty much ruined the story for me (still gave it 3 stars). This would be like a cop reading a story about an officer that kills people to get their money b/c he is greedy. It really is that bad of a plot point error. However, I am in the field, so maybe think it's normal for your therapist to want to fuck you?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usercookingwithgas@cookingwithgas
Romance novelist, under pen name K.L. Denison. You can follow me on Amazon, KDP and coming soon on SmashWords Like writing and posting free stories for others' enjoyment - often just to clear a writer's block. Real life can be pretty boring, so I strive to avoid the common ...