Feeding Ducks

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Waking up with Hailey in my arms felt so, correct. Order had been restored to the universe. As I gazed, her eyes opened and the smile that sped up my heart appeared. "It wasn't a dream," she whispered.

"No, it wasn't. This is where I belong."

"Yes, it is. Welcome back. I'm taking the day off, how about you?"

Which turned into both of us taking Friday off. So much for my resolution to not set foot in our house again.

Epilogue

After a few days, I called Sunny and told her what happened. "I'm sorry, but I can't see you until it's clear my marriage is dead."

"I'm happy for you, Robbie. You have my number if it doesn't work out. I had a wonderful time with you, and I'll always remember it."

"Same here, Sunny," I replied. with more than a little wistfulness.

Hailey and I resumed our search for a townhouse, and ended up with a smaller freestanding house with two bedrooms, and space behind the garage for a workshop.

I never figured out how she did it, but Hailey traded all the leather and chrome furniture for overstuffed fabric ones, and a massive TV, for no money. And no payments on the old furniture anymore, either--to go with no car payments. This woman was motivated.

It was impossible to miss the enthusiasm and flat-out happiness--almost giddiness--with which she made the transformation. Hailey wasn't kidding when she said she realized how much she missed, and appreciated, what we had.

At the end of the month we agreed on, she made her special spicy meatloaf, with truffle oil mashed potatoes and cheesecake dessert. "Well," she said with a confident smile. "Ding, dong, the wicked witch is dead. Do you agree?"

Shaking my head, I smiled. "The change from a month before is night and day. A dark night and sunny day."

"So," she said with a nervous smile, "are you up to give us another month?"

Yeah, I was cruel, but I waited several seconds, as if weighing the question for the first time. "Okay."

She jumped up, yanked me upright and hugged me tightly, then lifted her face and plastered a long, hot kiss on me. "You will not be disappointed, my wonderful husband."

--

Halfway through the second month I booked a table at the new steakhouse everyone seemed to rave about. "What's the occasion?" she asked.

"We have a Wyoming developer wanting to build a mall at the city limit on Route 27, and he's giving us a shot at an exclusive on all his equipment rentals."

There was a second, hidden, occasion. In the past, I would have picked a French restaurant because that would suit her taste better, even though they had nothing that floated my boat. This was the new me, though, and a test. If she pouted or objected, our month-to-month deal would not be renewed. Deferring to her tastes, as Derek pointed out, was my decision, not hers. And if I wanted steak, I should have the huevos to get steak every now and then.

She had no problems accompanying me to the steakhouse, and even looked at the menu online and spotted a salad she knew she'd like. Without knowing it, she had passed the test. Me, too.

When we got to the restaurant, Gordon and Jim, the two lawyers, were seated, and waiting for us.

"Where's the developer?" Hailey asked.

"Oh, he texted and said he'll be late," I replied. "Jim and Gordon will leave when he arrives. He will only eat dessert, so he told us to go ahead and eat."

The food, as expected, was great. Instead of the dessert menu, though, Gordon put the petition to dissolve our marriage on the table. When Hailey saw it, the color drained from her face. With fear, she looked at me. "Robbie, what's this?"

Without a word, I picked it up, fanned the pages a little, and tore it in half. "I've told Gordon to withdraw the petition for our divorce."

Hailey burst out in tears and grabbed me. "Thank you, Robbie! Thank you, thank you, thank you! You will never regret this decision." Watery kisses followed, along with giddy laughter and more tears. The two lawyers left us to order and enjoy my favorite cheesecake dessert.

--

When the new school year rolled around, Hailey took the math teacher job, and found happiness in seeing how her efforts helped her students' minds expand.

I didn't tell her about the part of my 'pay cut' the company put into a special account in case the divorce went through. That, and a special dividend the company declared, allowed us to take an extended vacation in France the next summer, followed by a cruise back home on the QE2. Our second honeymoon may have been a grade or two up from from our first, but it had all the passion and excitement.

And back home, we fed the ducks in the park every Saturday morning after brunch... before going home for, well, when you're over 21, I'll tell you what for.