All Comments on 'Fifty-First Way'

by BarryJames1952

Sort by:
  • 82 Comments
norafaresnorafaresalmost 4 years ago

Great story, Barry! Thank you so much for participating in the 50 Ways event!! <3

PowersworderPowersworderalmost 4 years ago

I really enjoyed that, thanks for a great story!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
It was good

The immediacy of the new relationship kind of blunted the betrayal tbh. There had to of been an emotional affair going on for that level of connection to exist (knowingly or unknowingly) that too is a betrayal.

Jake and Amber should not have been married...for sure

MattblackUKMattblackUKalmost 4 years ago

That's a great story and really does the theme justice.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightalmost 4 years ago

Nice story. Well written and a lot of fun. I liked how it wasn't revenge so much as straightening things out. Thanks for posting this.

linnearlinnearalmost 4 years ago
Really Well Done

Oh Moose, what a great character.

MsCherylTerraMsCherylTerraalmost 4 years ago

Blame Paul Simon... LOL. Great last line, Barry! Loved the story :)

GrimmerGrimmeralmost 4 years ago

Corny, Cute, and way tooooo sweet.

Still it was worth a 5*.

Bebop3Bebop3almost 4 years ago

I really enjoyed reading your story, Mr. James. It was a reasonable and mature approach by the protagonist to the betrayal inherent in cheating. Well done.

dwoelfledwoelflealmost 4 years ago
Fun!

What a great play off from the song. Really enjoyed this.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Really enjoyed your story

A breakup told with very little unnecessary violence or destruction. A little low key , but more of a romance story , than a cheating wife story.

johnadpjohnadpalmost 4 years ago
I Can't Help But Think That....

A lot of breakups (with cheating or not) is similar to the MC's and Amber's. Maybe they got married for the wrong reasons, or that both are no longer happy in the marriage, and then one leaves the other, for another or not, and the one left behind goes from apathy towards the relationship to rage and wanting to hurt the one that left them even though they had been apathetic towards the relationship for a long time.

It's like an employee who isn't happy at his work, or maybe he even hates it, but then the boss fires him for being in subpar effort and the employee rages and wants retribution.

There was obviously something missing in this relationship for the both of them. One could say the MC was more moral for not cheating; although, I would argue that he was kind of cheating with Sandy for more than a year. He was spending so much time at the bar talking and being emotionally intimate with her. SBrooks always says that people don't just fall into a relationship, there is intent. Both the MC and Sandy had developed strong feelings for another and that for a long time. Neither one shut that initial interest off and let it develop for more than a year.

So maybe it wasn't so much that he was more moral than Amber. Maybe she was just a more proactive person. Maybe Amber being the woman, the man (Tony) pushed things where she cheated, so it was easier for her. Maybe the MC and Sandy would've ended up being the cheaters in another few months themselves.

All's well that ends well, and this one ended well for most involved. Hopefully, Amber finds her true love as well.

It wasn't the greatest story I've read on LW, but still gave it 5 stars. It was good and enjoyable.

BaggyUKBaggyUKalmost 4 years ago
Enjoyed that

Thank you that was a really good fun story. Top marks

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimalmost 4 years ago

Good one. You must have had fun coming up with those corny new ways to leave a lover. Fun story, surprisingly full of romance and laughs, considering the basis of it.

Good one, sir! 5*

northstanderrhinonorthstanderrhinoalmost 4 years ago
Probably a bit too contrived

But an entertaining read nevertheless

DogFuzzDogFuzzalmost 4 years ago
Nice story.

If they were Gunfighters they would both be quick on the draw. They got together faster than air bags deploying in a car crash. I will have to check out your other stories. Top marks.

baulloyder68baulloyder68almost 4 years ago
I liked it

Was good to read a cheating wife story with a bit of humor for a change. 5*****

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Keep Trying

This was a story that just didn't quite make the grade. Too superficial and rushed... there's no depth of character at all. The dialogue was highly implausible and the ending, I'm sorry, was ludicrous.

WargamerWargameralmost 4 years ago

Top story. This 50 ways series is getting better and better.

26thNC26thNCalmost 4 years ago

That worked very well. I like a man like Jake who doesn't allow the cheating wife to become a problem. She cheated, betrayed the marriage, and she's gone. She had, of course, the standard don't tell the lover's wife, they have children. Oops, too late. Too her credit, Amber didn't fight hard. Guess she really didn't love him. Sandy does though. Great story.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsalmost 4 years ago
Fun story.

For me, he switched loves WAY too fast. But to each their own. I rather like that he did more to ruin the lover than his wife. She was wrong, but was already turning the corner to make it right. She deserved a little kindness along with the divorce.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
This is...

...the first of your stories I've read. I thought it was very well written. Detailed dialog without being to wordy or off subject. Will check out your other stories. Oh ya, I liked "shit in her shoe lou..." 5 stars. Thanx!

Loklie

ohioohioalmost 4 years ago
Great story--I love

the idea of improving on Paul Simon!

Thanks, ohio

cpetecpetealmost 4 years ago
Well done

Nice writing and good story overall-very fine read

GumpershnickalGumpershnickalalmost 4 years ago

he screamed out in primal rage from being crushed and 5 minutes later he has fallen in love....fucking psycho, i hope he doesnt murder sandy in her sleep sometime

chilleywilleychilleywilleyalmost 4 years ago
Their marriage was weak to begin with

Childhood friends never dated others, then to full adulthood maintaining childhood emotions and ideas of romance.

She's first to realize there's better out there, she settled too soon, and husband too discovers how shallow his love was, and proclaims his new love in an instant, joy displaces his sorrow, he's free, free at last!

Good deal for both of them! Correct your mistakes and move on.

Not quite how you've written it.

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreealmost 4 years ago
Well done.

The plot was thoughtfully explained

and really good.

But starting a new relationship

before ending the current one

is cheating.

Even though your partner did it first.

We differ in opinion on when it isn't cheating.

Some say people need to be legally divorced.

Others say when paperwork has been signed.

Others when paperwork has been delivered.

I'd say the very minimum is letting your

marriage partner know you're divorcing her/him.

A state of mind isn't enough.

It isn't being honest.

4 out of 5 from me.

GrandPaMGrandPaMalmost 4 years ago

"Blame Paul Simon." LOL!

Great story. Full marks here.

maninconnmaninconnalmost 4 years ago
A hoagie is so much more...

...than just a sub, a zep (go Norristown) or a big-assed sandwich. It’s all about the bread (soft and sweet, preferably baked in Conshohocken), the use of oregano, and oil instead of Mayo. It is a combination much to be desired, and a flavor only available in Philly. Now I’m going back to read the rest of your story, which already has five stars for its culinary reference which has stirred up thoughts of travelling south for lunch. Maybe a steak With whiz at Lou’s in Norristown, or a hoagie from Benin’s in West Chester...

FireFox59FireFox59almost 4 years ago
Liked this one

Not sure about him taking Sandy along in the showdown with his wife but I loved Moose taking care of his sister.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyalmost 4 years ago

That's a great way to leave your lover!

5

john_sixfooterjohn_sixfooteralmost 4 years ago
I also grew up near Philly

I loved the hoagie and scrapple tie-ins.

Very well told story.

I did not like his new relationship developing so quickly, within hours of catching his wife cheating. But, it's your story, your universe, your reality.

5 *s. Original, very well written, and, hell, it's Philly.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
When you get down in the mud with the pigs?

It's just another pig fight. He lost the moral high ground when he dragged Sandy into the battle from the start. His emotions should have been too raw to take up with another woman. And it was just bad judgment. And I'd bet my last dollar that Tony moved away and NEVER sent a nickel of alimony or child support. That was just too much to believe.

3 stars

tazz317tazz317almost 4 years ago
SONGS AND MUSIC ARE A SIGN OF THE TIMES

when the words add a little syncopation it is a Golden Oldie, TK U MLJ LV NV

LickideesplitLickideesplitalmost 4 years ago

Fly away from that fuck’n duck like a drake, Jake!

It’s a five, Clive!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
I really did not like this one

Wife cheats one time ,and he goes nuclear. Files for divorce . falls in love with the bartender Sandy. She marries him and is pregnant in no time .Just like that they join forces to confront the wife and her one time lovers wife. With two kids she goes nuclear also throws him out. Give picture to school boars so he losses his job and she is really not going too get alimony . This was a unbelievable farce. Yet you score high. Really a poor story from you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Monkey branching isn't what guys usually do

It was clean and involved little or no emotion. The way he went from the hurt spouse to a happy guy with sandy, was so friggen fast. Did he actually have any emotions at all?

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitalmost 4 years ago

Now there’s a novel concept: a completely civilized bitch burning! Amber deserved being outed, and Jake certainly deserved better.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 4 years ago

Diane shouldn't have destroyed the comic books! They were a valuable asset.

DarkerBindingDarkerBindingalmost 4 years ago

Fun and unique (in my experience) story that I enjoyed. Thanks for giving it to us.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
YEAHHHHHHH, I know,

YEAHHHHHHH, I know, Ripping up Comics ????????

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Yes ok

BJ, this one was a little under par for you.

Although scenarios like this occur more regularly when life-long friends tie the knot. When you become a lover you begin to lose a friend.

Too rushed perhaps, but thanks for the effort anyway.

Another snicker, the actual meaning behind Paul Simon's song is light-years away from the interpretation latched on for this story event.

DFWBeastDFWBeastalmost 4 years ago

Thanks Barry! Enjoyed the story. Leave it to an angry spouse to know where to strike to cause the most pain. Ripping up the comic book collection... LOL!

Killian

stev2244stev2244almost 4 years ago

Well done with a lot of nice alternative Paul Simon lyrics. Good story.

BarryJames1952BarryJames1952almost 4 years agoAuthor

Disclaimer

For those concerned, no actual comic books were harmed in the writing of this story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
I THINK THE BEST CHARACTER IN ALL THIS............

Was Diane. She was willing to risk taking a hit to ensure the cheaters received the punishment they deserved. Yeah baby, send those pictures to everyone she could think of. Jake does have the moral high ground and I appreciate him keeping it. The history between he and Amber does provide him the option of not destroying her completely.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Scrapple

That was the exact reason Armour invented Spam in the late '30's, it wasn't popular till WWII. One of the rumors about the origin of the name was it came from the words 'Shoulder, Pork and Ham' as it was taken from scraps and the shoulder cut that was being thrown out so it was a way to increase profits.

This wasn't my favorite of the Challenge stories but I enjoyed the additional lyrics. The only problems I had was it was too damned civilized and the tearing up of the comics. A lot of lost revenue but then she obviously had other goals as she sent the photos out and got them both fired which they certainly deserved and could have affected both divorce agreements. Signed: BTW

jtwheelsjtwheelsalmost 4 years ago
Huh cheating and what not . Written in ho hum fashion. As something and then nothing

OK I guess

GladstonGlieseGladstonGliesealmost 4 years ago
Were I a cheating asshole or not...

I would have been out for blood over those comics. Sentimental value aside, some comics are worth tens of thousands of dollars. And if Diane had left the house, Tony could have stood his ground and demanded his brother in law leave. Any physical altercation in that scenario means jail time for trespassing and assault. Just saying.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Good story

(Except for ripping up the blameless comics! Just donate them to some kids' organization. There must be at least 50 better ways to get rid of valuable artifacts!) And to Anonymous Scrapple: Spam is a Hormel product!

jimjam69jimjam69almost 4 years ago
Good story

That's about as clean a breakup as you can find. As far as the comic books go have you not heard about the wrath of a scorned woman? Money is not relevant at the moment.

lee5456lee5456over 3 years ago
Good story

You flooze you lose

OlFrog14xOlFrog14xover 3 years ago
Give her a hurl, Burl ...

Show your new girl, Earl

dgfergiedgfergieover 3 years ago

A bit unbelievable but still a nice heart warming story about finding your true love because of infidelity. Keep writing

whateverittakeswhateverittakesover 3 years ago

Too unrealistic. I can't see jumping from someone he's been so close to for that long to another woman that fast. Even though he knew Sandy for a while he's human and he needs some time to decompress and put things in perspective. It minimizes what he had with Amber and he seems like too nice a guy to just jump ship like that. I know she cheated on him but still - since they were 8 or 9 years old? Got a kick out of the entire bar coming up with the fifty first way.

NVDiceGuyNVDiceGuyabout 3 years ago

That was pretty damn good and I despise Paul Simon

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Unrealistic, but fun...

Much better than the usual dreck on LW

PeelercrabPeelercrababout 3 years ago
Paul Simplesimon

Find a new fuc*,Buck

Find a new frick, Ric*

Move on with your prick, Dick.

And set yourself free!

someoneothersomeoneotherabout 3 years ago

Why does the wife have to leave the house, and not the husband? He is the one asking for divorce.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
@ Someoneother

Why not the wife? Why does the husband always have to be the one to leave? She cheated, not him, she destroyed the marriage, so why should he leave? This is the modern world of equality, which means that you gain is some areas, like equal pay, and lose in others, like open you own doors or fend for yourself when you're on a sinking ship.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Too often in these stories the wronged spouse finds a new love during or right after the divorce. That is really unrealistic, unless They were the ones cheating.

IntuitiveJIntuitiveJover 2 years ago

Fun and entertaining. You did a great job of bringing the theme into the story. Thanks for sharing.

invisible_bridgesinvisible_bridgesover 2 years ago

A surface treatment of what might have been a story of deep emotions and profound reevaluations. Your wife --- your best friend since childhood --- has betrayed you. Did you ever really know her, even after decades of intimate interactions and thousands of revealing conversations? Can you ever really know anyone, including Sandy --- including even yourself?

.

What you believed to be bedrock --- love, friendship, loyalty --- is revealed to be quicksand. It's not just you're lover you've left. You've left behind a life of fixed certainties. What's next?

Ocker53Ocker53over 2 years ago

This was going to be a 5 right up until he brought the new girlfriend to the confrontation with the wife, seriously who would do such a moronic thing? Just defied any sense of belief. ⭐️⭐️⭐️

26thNC26thNCover 2 years ago

Again. This was a very good story about a man who didn’t hesitate to jettison the cheating wife, and maybe even better, he took out Tony too.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Nicely crafted story but, as a Philly guy, shouldn't you have made it, "Koy"? And then taken at least a mild shot at Koy Detmer?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Good grief! In these formula stories usually the cheated on hubby doesn’t find the new and better live of his life until a few months after the divorce is final. This guy had her lined up before he even caught his wife cheating!

Rancher46Rancher46about 2 years ago

Maybe the storyline was unrealistic, but still a good read. 5 stars

usaretusaretover 1 year ago

No comment felt necessary.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Short and sweet. 4*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good read - nice character development. Very enjoyable

GreWulfGreWulfover 1 year ago

Love the last line.Priceless.

oldtwitoldtwitover 1 year ago

What a nice gentle story, not to much kill the bitch in it but more realistic, I just don’t think he would have made the leap with another so soon, might have jumped her bones long and hard, but as I said nicely put together

SatyrDickSatyrDickover 1 year ago

[07.01.23]

Excellente!

11/10!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Tony walked outside, pulled out his phone, and called the police. Moose went to prison for forcing Tony out of his home, and for the violent threats. Diane went to prison for felony destruction of property. She had to pay Tony the value of the comics, which was more than her half of their assets. Tony kept the house, full custody of the children, and Diane owes him child support when she gets out of prison.

Now, if you believe that the above would never happen, because the system is rigged against men, what do you do about that? Do you call out feminists who claim to believe in equality, but actually just want women to be privileged? Do you vote against judges who are biased?

ZK

tonyneatotonyneato12 months ago

Lots of reality in this story. 5 stars Nice Work

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

A little to sudden epiphany by his ex but good nontheless

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

His rebound behavioral change was instantaneous. And immediately fell hard for Sandy...

AnotherChapterAnotherChapter5 months ago

Not much of a marriage to loose if he’s ready to shack up with the bar bitch the same day! Totally unrealistic of course, but hey, emulating Paul Simon has to have its moments! Realism get boring and takes up too much time. Go for the instant gratification.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

It was nice for a twisted romance. It seemed too neat, Pete. No great pathos to overcome, or suffering to heighten the mutual gravity from infatuation to love.

Still a relatively simple entertainment story.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefabout 1 month ago

A nice 'and they lived happily ever after' story but kind of hard to believe. Thought the bar group was hilarious coming up with ways to help Jake with the Paul Simon song. At least one of the Bs got burned. I guess if you don't have a pot to piss in splitting it 50/50 doesn't amount to much. While not all that believable, I give it four stars for the effort and the restraint of the two new love birds.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userBarryJames1952@BarryJames1952
I'm an old romantic who is completely in love with my wife. I find reading romances and thinking about romances keeps me focused on how great she is and how much I love her. I am also a man of faith and my writing will reflect that. Yes, Christians like sex too! Often the rom...