Finding Home Pt. 11-16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Lobster rolls and 'Airplane,'" announced Kail. "That's on tap for this evening. Power Girl has spoken. And Andy -- thank you. He really seems like a good guy. Maybe he's man enough to handle me, even though you're not," she laughed uproariously.

_________________________________________________________

Easy conversation flowed on the flight. Andy went to use the restroom, and noticed the Judge and Gloria Adams sitting together looking conspiratorial. "Well, if it isn't Pinky and the Brain. What tonight's plan to take over the world?" Gloria laughed, and his grandfather looked puzzled. Gloria explained the reference, and the Judge chuckled. "We do owe you an apology, Andrew," admitted the Judge. "We should have given you more information."

"Maybe," he pondered. "But if you had, we'd have had a very different result. I'm pretty partial to how all this worked out. You two look rather ominous. What are you plotting now?"

"Since you asked," said Gloria. "We're at a loss as to finding a new VP of Inclusion and Diversity. Natalie Gilbert was a leftover from the last president; an unwelcome leftover, I might add. The problem is finding someone in that role who isn't equally committed to that kind of cultural nihilism. Finding the right person will be damn near impossible. That's what we're plotting, trying to find that needle in a haystack."

"You should call Colonel Erik Taylor. He was the CO for my sniper school, and for one of my tours in Afghanistan. He would have made general one day but for an IED. You can't stay in with one good eye. He's a great dude -- and he's African American. He gets inclusion and diversity -- and would probably help shape Colton's vision. That is, if you want something other than 'toxic, good-old boys club' as your vision statement," he grinned.

"Andrew, you've earned the benefit of the doubt from me, but how do I sell this? The Marine Corps doesn't seem like the most inclusive place in the world. I'm afraid the other cabinet officers would think I'm nuts, as would the trustees."

"Well, the Corps doesn't care who you are as long as you can do your job with excellence. Be a Marine, and do your duty for the Marine next to you. Listen, my spotter was a first-generation immigrant from Honduras. You have everything from Alabama rednecks, to folks from Harlem in the Corps. It's amazingly diverse. All of this diversity is led by competent, educated, trained, and motivated officers. Excellence driven; others focused. Colonel Taylor would make sure the inclusion and diversity efforts of the college fit the overall vision of the college, not try to hijack it for its own ends," Andy explained. "And, that man could sell ice cubes to Eskimos. He's the real deal. Plus, how can you beat a 1-eyed, African American veteran in that role? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but I do understand the optics here. His optics are off the charts -- pun intended."

Gloria and Ralph looked at one another, and nodded. "Son, do you still have his contact information?" asked the Judge.

"Yes," he said as he got out his phone. "I just sent his email and cell number to both of you. He's good people. The Corps invalided him out, and I'm not sure what he's doing now. He's got a wife and four girls. Life at Colton could be really good for them."

______________________________________________________________

As Andy returned to his seat, he noted with pleasure that Cooper was sitting next to Sydney, and that Haylee and Jeannie were talking with his grandmother. Aunt Jane stopped him before he got back.

"Andrew, this really was a lovely weekend. Thank you," she said kindly.

"Aunt Jane, Sara and I can't thank you enough," said Andy. "You pulled this off, it was just my idea. You made the impossible look easy." He sat down next to her.

She kissed him on the cheek. "Listen, I'm coming up to Colton tomorrow with Helen and Christopher. There are some additions to the cabin we're considering, and we have site visits to make for the new dorm and training complex. Plus, we have an appointment with a realtor Tuesday afternoon to look at houses. Would you and Sara be available then?"

Andy frowned. "I think so, but let me talk with her a little bit, please? She grew up in a 1-bedroom apartment with her mom. I don't want to overwhelm her with house hunting. We'd be good living on campus, no matter how bad grandma thinks the married student housing is. We'll talk tonight and I'll let you know ASAP. Is that alright?"

"Of course, Andrew. That young lady is just amazing. You take care of her, and the two of you will do just fine," she said knowingly.

"Aunt Jane? I'm ready to accept the offer you and grandma made me -- but I'd like to make an offer of my own, as well. I've investigated what the group does, and it seems to me we're going to need an analyst as well, one with a top-notch analytical mind and math skills that surpass mine. Our friend Grace Federspiel would be someone Sumner-White may want to head hunt. I know she's going to go on to do further work in mathematics. A timely word from the directors of Sumner-White may help point her in a particular direction. Grace is amazing -- Sara and I adore her. She's a team player; not really an alpha personality, but she has alpha skills."

"Is your acceptance conditional on our looking at Grace?" she asked seriously.

Andy chuckled. "Of course not," he said. "I just think Grace is a great talent. You can never have too much talent on your team."

"Andrew, you just learned rule #1 from your Aunt Jane. Play hardball. You know how much we want you to head the group one day. We would have capitulated if you'd made it conditional."

"I know." He paused, "I refuse to play hardball with you and grandma. I love you. It's not a contest. My sisters and I are technically orphans, but we never felt like orphans. I now know that was due to Grandpa and Grandma, but also to you and Uncle Hank. No way I try to leverage anything on the two of you, ever. Look, Gracie may not be a good fit. I have a general, overall grasp of what you do - I think - but I obviously don't know it like you do. The two of you know better than I do. I'm trying to alert you to a bright young woman. Sara and I love her dearly, so we want to see her do well," Andy smiled. "I try not to shoot at my own team, Aunt Jane. That would have felt too much like a warning shot, or a power play." She nodded to him, and he surprised her by kissing her on the cheek.

"Thanks again, Aunt Jane. You're the best," said Andy.

When Andy finally got back to his seat, Sara whispered to him, "Baby, are you feeling OK? You were gone to the bathroom a long time." He heard the genuine concern in her voice.

He laughed, and then filled her in on his trip to the bathroom and back.

__________________________________________________________

Andy's second surprise of the evening pulled up to greet the crew headed for Colton when they disembarked the plane. It was a brand-new, 30-passenger bus -- resplendent with Colton College graphics. The interior boasted leather seats that reclined. Each seat had its own video monitor built into the back, and there was a shockingly nice restroom aboard the bus. The door opened, and out stepped the president of the college, Dr. Jay Oliver. President Oliver and the driver helped stow the luggage, and then escorted everyone aboard. Once everyone was seated, Dr. Oliver grabbed the microphone.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back. I hear you had an eventful weekend. Please allow me to add my congratulations to Sara and Andy on their engagement. You may have noticed the new ride, made possible by a very generous gift from a donor. There were two stipulations the donor made: first, this had to be the nicest vehicle that money could buy. Let me assure you, we've never spent this kind of money on a bus before -- and it's absolutely amazing. The second stipulation was this: it is to be used only by our women's athletic teams. So, Cooper, enjoy your one and only ride on this baby." The shocked bus laughed.

"Ladies, I'm so very proud of you -- and grateful for you. We've never, that I know of, raised $30 million dollars this easily. The Sumner-White complex will be state of the art, and generations of female athletes will live in Victoria Hall, and train in Jennifer Field House. They will be in your debt. On their behalf, I wish to offer you my profound thanks."

"Now, our donors would like to say a few words, and then we'll head for home."

Andy was a bit surprised when it was Alex, and not Jessica, who stood up to address the group. Sara gripped his hand, and he looked over to see the emotion on her face. He looked across the aisle to Jeannie, whose face had gone white as a ghost. Sydney and Haylee were wiping tears from their eyes.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is an honor for my wife and I to make such an investment. In the week we have been here, we have come to love this place, and the students and administration who are the very heart of this school. In particular, those of you who are on this bus right now are very dear to Jessica and I."

"Sydney and Haylee went out of their way to thank me when I invited Jeannie to play hockey with us. They made a comment that troubled me, so Jessica and I investigated this comment, and found it to be accurate. Then, we have all been amazed at the Krasny motornyy chelovek. Jeannie Flannery is a wonderful athlete, and I think, an equally wonderful person. She has shown all of us, I think, what female athletes are capable of. It is our pleasure to make this investment in women's athletics at Colton."

The bus erupted into raucous applause, and thanks were shouted to Alex and Jess. "AFed and JFed -- kicking ass and taking names!" shouted Kail. Cooper and Andy both wisely, but also genuinely, joined the applause. The ride back to Colton flew by, and Andy and his roommates returned to the Commons invigorated, even after their long weekend.

_________________________________________________________

The third and final surprise of the day was waiting for the girls upon their return to the Commons. There were four dozen roses: one red, and three white, on the pub tables. Beside each bouquet was a box. Kail, Eden, and Grace had received their own Fedorov fan pack: three t-shirts, a pair of yoga pants, a ball cap, and two sports bras. There was another, smaller box, and they opened those to find gray compression t-shirts that said, 'Colton Women's Crew" in the brown of the school colors. The back had their last names in orange on the bottom. Sara's box had two such shirts: one read Jones-Easley, the other DeGroat. There was also a rather confusing gift for Sara in her box: a set of Andy's dog tags.

As their roommates were excitedly examining the contents of their fan packs, Sara looked at Andy quizzically. He answered her, "I know you can't row with your engagement ring on, and putting the ring on a necklace is pretty dicey. If the necklace breaks the ring would be gone. Since dog tags are made to withstand some serious punishment, you can just slide the ring on like this, double up the dog tags, and then put them around your neck." He showed her how to what he had just described.

She kissed him. "Thank you, baby. It's amazingly thoughtful. You continue to spoil me. You're right: I know I need to take it off when we row, but I don't really want to. If I lost it being stubborn, I'd probably never stop crying."

_____________________________________________________________

Airplane was a big hit. Only Andy and Kail had seen it before, and it was quite the experience to watch the others see it for the first time. Andy sat next to Sara, and wasn't surprised when Eden came and sat on the other side of him. He was both surprised and concerned when she snuggled up to him, however. Looking at Sara, she whispered to him, "It's OK. We talked. She needs this Andy, but if you're uncomfortable with it, let me know." He kissed Sara softly, and then turned and kissed Eden on the cheek.

"It's good to have you back, Snips," he said, whispering.

"It's good to be back. I missed the two of you terribly," she whispered back. "Andy, I need to talk to you and Sara -- alone -- at some point."

Andy looked at her with concern on his face. "It's OK, I promise. I -- I just have something I need to get off my chest."

________________________________________________________

After the movie, Andy took Eden and Sara for a drive. They found a quiet place on campus, and turned the truck off. Andy and Sara turned to look at Eden, who was in the back seat.

"I have a confession to make, but I'm not sure how to say it." She paused, "I got my period this morning."

This meant nothing to Andy, but Sara looked troubled.

"Andy, girls who live together get their periods at the same time. After our first month of living together, Sara and I would basically start the same day. After you and I were together before I left for Paris, I was about a week late. I was getting ready to go buy a pregnancy test and make sure. But -- well after this morning there was no need."

"OK?" said Andy confused.

"Here's my confession: all this time I was both scared -- but also excited that I might be pregnant. I know you, Andy. You would have broken off the engagement, and offered to marry me. And -- and this is the confession..." She began to break down. "I would have accepted, gladly. I told you I'm a fickle bitch, and that's the absolute truth. I felt so torn. I'm so happy for the two of you. But then, I was secretly excited that I'd get to be Mrs. Andy DeGroat. I'd get the shopping trips to Boston, and I'd be the one hanging out with Jessica at the hockey rink."

She broke down, sobbing, and Sara crawled into the back seat to comfort her friend. Andy reached back and held her hand. After a bit, Eden spoke again.

"I'm so, so sorry. When I finally saw the two of you together, and how Sara just shines around you, I felt like a totally selfish, horrible person. The two of you are like oxygen and fire. Sometimes Sara is the fire, and Andy is the oxygen. Other times it's vice versa. I was so right to back away, and so wrong to think about getting back in via a pregnancy. I was really selfish, and I'm totally ashamed of myself."

"I want to be right with the two of you. I love you both so much. Could you forgive me? I've been a total ice princess bitch, and I wouldn't blame the two of you if you asked me to leave the Commons, and found another maid of honor." She broke down again.

After a while, Andy spoke first. "Eden, thank you for telling us. You continue to amaze me with how brave you are. I love that about you -- we both do." Andy paused, "The night I beat the shit out of Larry, Moe and Curly, I was mortified. I was afraid Sara would see what a violent monster I could be, and want nothing to do with me. The Batman thing is kinda cool, until you think about marrying him."

"Eden, we all have thoughts that would absolutely terrify the people who know and love us. There was no way I was going to tell Sara all the thoughts that were going through my head. She would have run away screaming. I get the 'better angels of our nature' vs the 'devil on my shoulder.' I really do. You're really, really brave to tell us this. You're not an ice princess bitch, you're human. I won't speak for Sara, but I absolutely forgive you. Been there, done that, Snips," he said.

Sara hugged her and cried, "Eden, of course I forgive you. I had no idea you felt this way. I'm so sorry." She looked at them both, and said, "Maybe it's Andy and I who need to leave the Commons."

Andy responded immediately, "If anybody's leaving it's me. No way I come between the four of you -- but especially the two of you."

"You don't get it, do you?" yelled an exasperated Eden. "I need to see you together! I need to hear the two of you making love, and see how you look at each other -- like there's no one else in the room. When I see that, I know I made the right decision. I know what I did was right, no matter how hard it feels at times. When I was in Paris and couldn't see the two of you together, that's what fed my jealousy and my awfulness. Seeing you together is good for me. Selfishly, I need that."

"OK," said Andy quietly. "I get that, too. Seeing Mike and Priya making out at the homecoming dance our sophomore year was this weird, voyeuristic balm to my angsty, teenage Droobie soul. When I sing to Sara tonight, I'll sing extra loud -- and -- well, I'll guarantee you'll hear her when we make love tonight." Andy raised his eyebrows as he said this, and both girls laughed.

_______________________________________________________

When the three returned to the Commons, Kail and Grace were up, and both looked angry. "OK, all three of you sit down. You know you're my bitches, but Gracie and I got some shit to say to you. Power Girl has spoken," she said tersely.

Andy, Sara, and Eden meekly did as they were told. "I'm kinda pissed, so I'm gonna let Gracie talk. But know this, we love all three of you. We've never had anything like this before. And now, before I start bawling my eyes out, Gracie's gonna talk," said Kail.

Grace, equally fired up, took over. "We do love you, but we're worried about the team, and about our relationships. We know there's stuff we don't know about, and we're OK not knowing. But if that threatens this team, we will go Batgirl and Power Girl on you." Her face glowed with fury.

"I was talking with Jessica tonight, thanking her for their gift to the women's teams. You know what she told me?" Grace continued. "'It's not a gift; it's an investment. We expect to see conference and national championships. And we expect to see you excel at whatever you do afterwards. We're investing in that.'" Grace began crying, and Kail took over.

"See, we've never had anybody say the shit your family says to us, Andy. Your family is amazing, and I will kick some ass for them. If the three of you got shit happening - handle it -- we beg you! People -- good people - believe in us! They're spending good money on us, and we owe it to them to be grownups and handle our business. You feel me, my bitches?" exclaimed Kail with all the passion of a tele-evangelist.

"This is on me," said Eden quietly.

"Not true," said Andy coolly.

She turned and looked at him, with fire in her eyes. "Excuse me?"

Sara spoke, "As usual, my fiancé, and my best friend are trying to defend one another. We do that for people we love. Here's what happened. When Andy moved in, we both really liked him, and we put the moves on him -- like shamelessly. He slept with both of us, and we were both in love with him within 24 hours. I think you understand how confusing and overwhelming that can be. That part you know."

"Here's what you don't know. Andy and I are together now because Eden backed out. She not only went to Paris, but told Andy some crazy story about meeting a great guy on the flight over who she wanted to date. Andy knew this was total bullshit, and I knew what she was doing. She was backing away so that Andy and I could be together. Eden did a beautiful and selfless thing because she loves me. Well, Andy did the same thing -- though not quite as dramatic - in high school. He and his best friend Mike both liked Priya," she continued.

"Like Priya, as in Mike's wife Priya?" interjected Grace. Andy nodded.

"So, Andy backed out, and you know the rest of the story. Andy told us both that it was seeing Mike and Priya together and happy that took some of the hurt away. We all met Priya, and she's smart, and funny, and beautiful. She also really liked Andy in high school, and Andy did what he did because he loves Mike."

"Well, as you can imagine, there's some turmoil involved in Eden's decision. We've been trying to walk through that turmoil with her. We can never repay her for what she's done. She knew better than we did that Andy and I should be together. We can't repay her, but we're trying our best to be there for her," explained Sara. "We're sorry to have kept this from you, but there's been a lot going on."