Fortune Smiled

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, otoosan (father) was doing his national military service when he met okaasan (mother) in Yokosuka. They married and we lived there until he retired from the military."

Kaiyo explained that there used to be a mandatory national defense service requirement when a Japanese male reached the age of 18. That was later abolished.

"Although I grew up in Yokosuka, my family would return to Yamagata each summer to stay with family here and help care for the temple. Even now, we all gather each summer and help repair and maintain the temple."

"Your family must be very dedicated to the temple."

"It is our family's honor to do so. We are very fortunate in that regard."

Kaiyo had to complete her responsibilities as a judge and so rejoined her group. But not before we agreed to meet for dinner later that evening.

So I continued to watch the robotics competition for a few more minutes, then headed out of the mall to continue my explorations.

Since Kaiyo said to meet her here, I decided to just walk down a block then circle around and check out the surrounding neighborhood. The mall was surrounded by a number of retail stores and several restaurants. There was even an onsen or hot springs bath house nearby.

Onsens are very popular in Japan. Bathers wash themselves before enjoying a long soak in the hot baths. From what I understand, many onsens feature separate hot baths for men and women, and some might offer private baths for couples or families. I thought about spending more time in one or two before I left Yamagata.

Sooner than I thought, it was time to head back to the mall to meet Kaiyo. A short fifteen minute walk brought me back to the mall where I found Kaiyo helping to fold up the tables and chairs that they had used. So I jumped in and helped to finish up the chore.

Kaiyo smiled at me, "Arigato (thank you) for helping. I call my uncle at temple so he knows that you will have dinner with me tonight. So he not worry."

I hadn't thought to let him know. "Thank you Kaiyo. I didn't think to call."

----------

We had dinner at a nearby restaurant and I found Kaiyo to be a wonderful dinner companion.

"So Kaiyo, tell me about the woman who is having dinner with me."

She smiled, "Well, not much to tell Peter. I finished college at UW with degrees in computer science and electrical engineering. Then I worked for Boeing for several years. But it not for me. I wanted more than a job. So I look and found job in Japan. I now work for Institute for Space and Astronomy Sciences as a teacher."

"That's quite a change; going from an aeronautical industry to astronomy, from an engineer to a teacher. Do you teach at a college or university?"

"No, I do not teach full time. What I do is provide teachers resources and information. My job to teach teachers, to open their eyes so that they may open the eyes of children they teach."

"Is the robotics program one of the programs that you help with?"

"Yes. Robotics program started many years ago, but we now help give more money and kits to schools. We ask manufacturers to help with advisors. For country schools, we help train parents basic skills. We have many other programs for school children up to university level."

"Is this better than being at Boeing?"

She paused for a moment, then, "At first I think this perfect job for me. I want job that more than design work. And helping schools seemed to be what I want. But I think I want more. I want to work on project that help many."

"Any ideas?" I asked.

"Some but I not have time to give much thought to it. I think I need time away from job to really understand what I want. Maybe I need to talk with ojisan (uncle)."

I smiled. "Your uncle has a unique skill to ask the right questions at the right time. I'm sure that he will be able to help."

"Now tell me about Sekimura-san. You are part Japanese?"

I smiled, "Hai. My grandfather came from Japan. I think it was a village somewhere in northern Japan. I remember trying to look it up years ago and couldn't find it. So it must have been either incorporated into a larger city or abandoned. Grandpa came over in the late 1880's; we aren't sure of exactly when. He worked on the farms in California for many years and married grandma. I understand that she was a picture book bride."

Kaiyo smiled, "I have heard of such things."

"Yeah. Dad said that picture book brides were the only way that guys like grandpa could end up marrying a Japanese woman. And I guess language and customs were an issue even back then. But from what I understand they got along really well."

"You have big family?"

"Well I have a lot of uncles and aunties, and cousins. Dad had nine brothers and sisters. Mom had a brother and a sister. So yeah, my father's side of the family is quite large."

"You don't have children?"

"No, my wife, Charlie wasn't able to have children and that devastated her. We talked about adopting but we weren't emotionally prepared to do that. So no children. How about you Kaiyo?"

"I have large family. Many uncles and aunties, and cousins. But we live many different places and do not see each other often."

"Are you married?"

She blushed and smiled, "No. I not meet man who make me happy."

"That's too bad. You're very attractive and young so I'm sure you'll find someone that will make you happy."

She smiled and thanked me.

"Will you be returning to the temple?"

"Yes, I think I better do that before it gets too late."

"I'll walk you back. My family home next to temple."

And so we did. Kaiyo's home was just outside the temple's Torri gate.

----------

The next morning Itsuke asked me over breakfast whether I had given any thought to our discussions from the day before.

"Yes. It's interesting how my mind works. Although I didn't intentionally sit down and spend time thinking about the question, my mind must have been working behind the scenes, so to speak. I acknowledge that my relationships with others matter a great deal to me. And I'm comfortable with the idea that I need to find another focus for my life."

"So what do you plan to do?" he asked.

"I'm not sure. I think I need some time to develop that idea further. But at least I know what I need to do to put that spark back into my life."

He smiled, "I am happy for you. Some come here expecting to learn of great secrets or key to fortune, only to later learn that greatest joy in life is to be happy with one's self."

I agreed. "Sensei (teacher), I have enjoyed our conversations a great deal. Is it possible for me to continue these talks with you?"

"Yes, but I have other visitors coming so one must make room at our temple."

"Of course. I fully understand. Is there an inn that I can stay at for another week or two?"

"Yes, I there are several that are close by."

And so I decided to stay a while longer and enjoy Yamagata's hospitality as well as to continue to explore my thinking with Iwamasa-sensei when he had time. Being a retiree, there were no claims on my time so I could come and go as I choose.

----------

I Skyped Burt and Kara that evening and they were surprised to hear from me.

"So how is it going?" Burt asked.

I smiled at him, "You know darn well that it would either go very well or it would be a bust."

"Well it sounds like it went very well."

"Yes. Thank you, both of you. Iwamasa sensei is wonderful. I can't believe how quickly he got to the bottom of my problem."

Kara butted in, "so what have you come away with?"

"Well you know how Charlie had been the focus of my life?" and I could see them nodding their heads, "well he basically told me that I needed to find something else to focus on."

"So have you?"

"Not yet. I think I'm going to take another two weeks or so and do the tourist thing over here, and give the 'focus' thing some time to sink in. The grey matter doesn't work so quickly anymore."

"Bull shit." Burt said with a smile. "It just means that you have a lot more to think about." And I had to agree.

"As long as you're ok and enjoying yourself." Kara added.

"I am. After today, I feel so much better about myself. You can tell the others that I'll be back after another two weeks or so."

----------

The next morning I left the temple bright and early to search out nearby inns. Iwamasa sensei had given me a list of several inns within walking distance of the temple. As I left the temple's Torii gate, I encountered Kaiyo as she left her home.

"Uncle say that you stay for another week or two." She said.

"Yes, your uncle is an amazing man. I just wish that I had met him many years before."

She smiled. "Yes. Uncle is very clear thinker. Many come to talk with him."

"Are you going to work?" I asked.

"No I am on vacation this week. My work place is in Tokyo. Here I stay with parents."

"Well, can I buy you breakfast?"

"Is this date?"

"It could be."

She smiled, "ok, breakfast."

Our conversation was friendly and engaging throughout our walk and our breakfast.

"Uncle say you need to find some place to stay."

"Yes, at least for another two or three days, perhaps longer."

"Ok. I help. There are several close by that are good."

"Your uncle gave me a list," and I showed it to her.

"Yes, all are good. This one has onsen. You know onsen?"

"Hot springs bath."

"Yes. You try before?"

"Yes at the temple, and that is something that I definitely want to do more of while I'm here."

"Ok, then please follow me."

We walked over to the onsen and I registered in for three nights. It was a modest looking inn from the outside but once you got past the lobby, it took on a whole new look. The inn looked like something out of the history books. The building itself was a large rectangular shape with an inner courtyard. There was a restaurant located just inside the main entrance which Kaiyo said was very good. And the hot springs baths were located on the far side of the courtyard. They overlooked a nearby valley and stream. My room ended up being located next to one of the onsens.

"Thank you Kaiyo for helping me check in to this place. I don't know if I could have managed it by myself."

"It would not be difficult. Many people understand eigo (English), but may not speak it very well."

"So what does one do in Yamagata?"

"As I say before, Yamagata not a tourist place. So not many things to see." Kaiyo reminded me. Still it turned out that there was a lot to see and do. After living in a place for a while, you kind of take things for granted, like the park with its many cherry blossom trees, or the historic temples, or the numerous onsen bath houses, or the ski resorts, or the great places to eat, or the special treats that were made only in this town.

----------

I camped out at the inn for a couple of nights. Spent another day with Kaiyo then another day with her uncle, Iwamasa Itsuke. Although it didn't result in any decisions on my part, I did feel a lot better with who I was and what I needed to do to become a happier person. Itsuke has this innate ability to ask probing questions.

Before we parted company, Itsuke gave me a small wooden box which contained a parchment scroll. Just like the one that Burt and Kara have.

"Peter, this scroll will enable you to receive messages from the temple. Whenever you feel troubled or overwhelmed, or when you have questions, please unroll the scroll. It should respond to you within minutes. It will also send you messages from time to time. Only my grandmother knows why." He laughed. "She was a very strong willed person."

"Hush. Yakamashi (be quiet) Itsuke." the temple voice, or Itsuke's grandmother said. Itsuke looked at me and laughed.

"Hai, obaachan (grandmother)." Itsuke said out loud.

I think I would have loved to have met her. I felt her smile, then her voice "return when you are ready."

I made my travel arrangements and began the trip home the next day. I caught the Shinkansen bullet train from Yamagata to Narita Airport just outside of Tokyo. My reservations called for a flight later that evening out of Narita. However on the train from Yamagata, I just happened to sit next to one of the judges from the robotics competition in Yamagata. And although he spoke terrible English and I spoke no Japanese at all, we somehow were able to carry a conversation about the robot kits.

I gathered that his company imported a lot of these kits from mainland China and had little success at getting the manufacturer to improve the quality of their products. His guess is that the unit price was so low that the manufacturer wasn't willing to do anything until they sold out the inventory that had already been made.

I tried to tell him that they didn't have to accept the incorrectly made product. That the Chinese Ministry of Economic Trade helped other companies to correct these kinds of errors. At least I hope he got the message. In any case, he asked if I would stay over several days and meet with his company's representatives. So I did.

I cancelled my flight reservations out of Narita and Kondo Saburo (that's his name) took me over to a nearby hotel and booked me in using his company charge card. We kind of agreed to meet up the next morning in the lobby around 8am and he would take me to meet with others from his company.

I went up to my room, showered and went back down for an early dinner. In the process of doing so, I took my tablet with me and Skyped Burt and caught him in his home office. I gotta remember that Japan is one day ahead and 16 hours or so behind. Dinner time here and morning coffee break time back home.

"Hey Peter, what's up? On your way back?"

"Nope, getting side tracked in Tokyo."

"What's the story, some young, good looking lady you met?" he laughed.

"Nah, remember those robotic kits that were manufactured incorrectly?"

"Yeah, but they were made in China."

"Yeah, I met someone from the company that imports them. They didn't know that they could ask for the Chinese government's help in forcing the manufacturer to correct all of its mistakes."

"No kidding?"

"Yeah. So I'm supposed to meet with some of the company people tomorrow."

"Ok. So you're calling to let us know that you'll be delayed?"

"Yeah, just to keep you up to speed."

"Ok, good of you to let us know. Have fun and we'll see you when we see you."

"Thanks Burt." We signed off and I ordered dinner.

----------

Kondo-san picked me up the next morning as planned. We went up to his office so he could drop off his things then we went over to a company coffee lounge where he introduced me to several others from the company.

Seito Masugi was a company purchasing supervisor. Tanaka Risa was an educational consultant and Setsuma Mira was in charge of government affairs for the company. The three of them were involved with the issues related to the robot kits from China.

We went over the problem with the incorrectly made robotics kit and I mentioned having the same issues. (It was a good that Risa spoke reasonable English otherwise we would have floundered.) I mentioned that they could get help from the Chinese Ministry of Economic Trade. Seito and Setsuma were interested in learning more so I told them about an experience I had as an automotive electrical engineer.

We had put an electrical harness out for bid and a Chinese manufacturer had been the successful bidder. After we researched the company and inspected their fabrication plant, we decided to go ahead with a contract for the first 100,000 harnesses. Everything went well for the first two purchase orders but the third batch gave us problems. Our production line was fully engaged at this point so the problem with the harness was a big issue. We needed to have it resolved right away.

We quickly diagnosed the problem down to faulty connectors. We confronted the manufacturer who promptly tried to side track us with comments that implied our improper handling and installation. Since we were a large importer the Chinese government got involved and basically told the manufacturer to fix the mistake. The government official told me that they had to establish credibility in the marketplace otherwise experiences such as ours will continue to hamper their ability to get future work.

So I encouraged Seito and Setsuma to get the Chinese government involved. Their company imported a lot of other robotic kits from that manufacturer and others as well. And if the manufacturer developed a reputation for producing poorly made kits that would not only affect the manufacturer but also hurt the Chinese government's efforts to build their country's credibility as a reliable manufacturing source.

"Seito-san, how many of these kits with faulty instructions do you have in stock at the moment?" I asked.

"As of two days ago, we have 3,840 kits of this type in warehouse. But one more container is expected to arrive end of this week. So add 2,500 more kits."

"So if you had to print corrected instructions for the kits, you would need to print 6,340 sets?"

"Hai. Now that we know what to correct, simple to scan entire instruction set and correct just that one part. Easy to do. Perhaps can finish in one week. Then need to open all kits and replace instruction sets. That will take much more time. But we can do. We should also send revised instruction sets to distributors and retail stores so they know of error."

"Would that be a better alternative instead of sending them back to the manufacturer?"

"Oh yes. Much better. We can do quicker. Maybe print 10,000 sets. But will cost us to do so."

"Let's net the cost against any unpaid invoices that you owe to them."

Seito considered it and nodded his agreement. "Just need to have manufacturer agree."

"Let's not give them a choice." I replied.

Mira asked if I could assist with the initial inquiry with the Chinese government and I agreed to do so. Seito provided us with copies of relevant documents including copies of invoices that bore the manufacturer's name, copies of correspondence detailing the identification of the problems encountered and the manufacturer's refusal to correct the problem.

Mira and I went to her office with all of the documentation and we began the search for contact information for the Chinese Ministry of Economic Trade. Although they didn't have a rep in China's embassy in Tokyo, we were able to obtain phone numbers in Shenzhen, Guangdong Province.

"Mira, we should get someone who can speak Chinese." I suggested.

"Hai. One of reasons why I am manager of government affairs is because I can speak Chinese, Mandarin, Korean and English. So it should not be problem."

"Let's also discuss a strategy that will encourage the ministry people to require that the manufacturer take responsibility for the problems."

"What do you suggest?"

"Let's mention the manufacturer's name several times during our conversation with them. Then, let's also mention that until the situation is resolved to our satisfaction, that we are placing a hold on all further orders and will also be holding back payment."

"We can do that?" Mira asked.

"They would do that to you if they had problems with your products. And, we have the defective kits as proof of their poorly made products."

"You think that will work?"

"Let's also mention that we plan to let our colleagues in the industry know as well so that they won't waste their time and money. That will light a fire under the ministry people."

Mira smiled, "Is this what Americans call playing 'hardball'?"

I smiled and shrugged my shoulders..

"But what we do if they not willing to help? Where else can we get robot kits?"

"There are other places we can order them from that are just as cost effective; Vietnam, South Korea, Malaysia."

"You sure?"

"Yes. I know manufacturers who would be willing to provide you with a competitive quote and that do good work."

123456...9