Fortune Smiled

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Assured that she had a backup plan, she dialed the number and put the call on speaker phone. Upon the other side answering, Mira began a conversation in Chinese that I assume, emulated our discussion earlier that day.

"Sekimura-san, they say they will contact manufacturer and see if he cannot replace defective kits right away."

"What about Seito's idea to print corrected instruction sets and net the cost against any unpaid invoices?"

Mira asked the Chinese ministry people and they said that they'll talk with the manufacturer.

"What happens if the manufacturer refuses to replace the defective kits?" I asked?

Mira relayed the question to the other party in Shenzhen. After a brief moment the other party replied. Mira translated saying, "They will work to find a reasonable solution but could not offer more than that."

"Then let's inform them that we're withholding payment and cancelling all future orders until this issue is resolved."

Mira smiled and conveyed the position that we talked about. And you could hear a definite change in the tenor of the Chinese representatives' responses. Definitely on the defensive. Mira smiled at me and gave me a thumbs up.

The Chinese ministry people were backpedaling quickly, trying to salvage whatever business with us that they could. But Mira smiled and responded coldly that they either cure the problem quickly or we took our business elsewhere and would inform everyone we knew about the problems with the manufacturer.

In the end, they promised to get back to Mira the next day. She told them to call back only if they had the answers that she was looking for. Otherwise, not to bother calling. Tigress!

She wrapped up the call shortly thereafter. Then she called Seito and informed him of the conversation.

"Is good solution. Domoo (thanks) for helping us find assistance so quickly." Mira said.

"Your welcome." I replied.

Tanaka Risa came into Mira's office and Mira brought Risa up to date with our talk with the Chinese.

"I not ever think we could tell Chinese government people we will withhold business. But now that our discussion is done, I can see how effective that plan was."

"Mira did a great job, negotiating with the Chinese ministry people. She was very effective." I informed Risa.

Mira bowed in my direction, "Your guidance was very valuable today, Sekimura-shocho."

The use of the term, shocho, was new to me. 'San' and 'chan' I knew, but shocho was new. But I figured that Mira used in a respectful manner so it must be proper. The Japanese are like that; very concerned about treating others properly as befitting their station in life as well as in business.

Risa bowed to me and thanked me also for the assistance provided.

"Sekimura-shocho, our President ask that you join him for lunch if you are free." Risa asked.

Mira bowed to me also. She figured out that I didn't know what shocho meant, "Shocho means respected leader. You did not need to help children in Yamagata, yet you did. You did not need to help us solve problem with Chinese manufacturer, yet you did. You gave me good plan and insight on how to negotiate future problems with Chinese. You have much experience and knowledge that you share freely with us."

"Mira, please understand that I am always willing to help anyone." I replied, a little embarrassed by the exchange.

She smiled, "as it should be with someone such as you, shocho. Thank you for your help today."

Risa smiled, "Shall we join Yonemura-shacho (president Yonemura) for lunch?"

So I agreed to the luncheon meeting. Who am I to turn down a free lunch. And with a Japanese company President no less. So Risa and I left Mira's office and made our way out of the office complex to a waiting limo that drove us to a nearby building. Risa explained, "this is company headquarters. Only President and his management staff work here."

We left the limo and entered the building and I was immediately impressed by the comfortable feeling that I felt with how the place was furnished and used. A lot of larger businesses tend to emulate stark chrome, plate glass windows, and stainless steel styles. Not this place. An open floor plan with several groupings of large, comfortable, overstuffed sofas in the front lobby area clustered around coffee tables with groups of people meeting or chatting away. A small rock garden with a small pond was placed off to the side in the lobby. Several office workers were coming and going, doing whatever they needed to be doing. Lots of wood and glass windows everywhere I turned. I liked the place a lot. It had a buzz and was purposeful.

I turned back to Risa after my short inspection and found her smiling at me. "You like our office?"

"Yes. This is very nice." I replied. "This is a working office, not a showroom. I like this."

She led us over to a receptionist and spoke briefly in Japanese to her. She indicated that we should seat ourselves briefly on a nearby couch.

Risa explained, "President is on phone call, but should be finished very quickly. She let him know that we are here." And I could see the receptionist slip a note to a man sitting on a desk behind her. He glanced a look in our direction and nodded to the receptionist. I was kind of impressed; no ivory tower for this guy. It was clear to me that he wanted to be accessible to his people.

He ended his call shortly thereafter and then walked over to us. Risa rose quickly and bowed to him. I rose as well and made to bow, however he intercepted me before I could do so with his hand out to greet me.

"Mr. Sekimura, thank you for your help these past several days. We really appreciate your assistance. Risa, Mira and Saburo Kondo have filled me in on how you helped us."

"Your welcome, uh..." as I suddenly realized that I didn't know his name.

"Oh, sorry. I got carried away." He chuckled. "My name is Yonemura Shigemasa. Please call me Masa."

Risa was visibly jolted by his encouragement to use an informal name with her President.

"Masa, thank you for the invitation to have lunch with you. As far as the help provided, it was the least I could do. I know the problem with that particular robotic kit and I know the problems with that manufacturer. So I was happy to help your people with what I knew."

"Still, you helped when you didn't have to. We do appreciate your help very much."

Masa addressed Risa, "Please be sure that Sekimura-shocho is treated well while he is with us."

She smiled and bowed her understanding to Yonemura. "Hai, Shacho (President)."

"Come, let us have lunch," and he led us to the back of the building, into a dining area that looked more like a restaurant.

"Our one indulgence for those who work here and meet with customers and staff. At least we eat well." Masa said.

And we proceeded to have a wonderful lunch and talked about many things including what their business was involved with and the directions that they were planning to pursue. As we finished lunch, Masa asked, "Forgive me for prying, but I sense that your trip to Japan was not to sightsee? Yamagata does not strike me as a place that tourists visit."

I smiled, "Yes. I visited Yamagata for a very different reason. I was invited to spend a few days with a new friend." I remembered what Burt and Kara had told me about being careful to reveal information about the temple.

"Did you enjoy your visit?"

"Yes. I did very much."

Masa looked at me, then asked Risa to leave us for a few minutes so we could speak privately.

"Itsuke is a close and dear advisor. I sense that you visited with him and that he has helped you see things differently."

I smiled and bowed in agreement. "There are still some things that I need to think about and more fully consider but my conversations with Iwamasa-sensei (teacher) have helped me tremendously."

"Can you stay longer in Japan?"

"I suppose I could. I don't have any commitments that require me returning soon."

Masa beckoned Risa over and she sat with us once again.

Masa instructed Risa, "Please go with Sekimura-shocho and make sure that his hotel sends his bills to us for all of his expenses. Also, please see that his stay there is extended for the week. And please make arrangements to pay for Sekimura-shocho's return travel costs."

"Masa, please. You don't have to do that. I am enjoying my stay. Besides, my return flight is already paid for."

Risa smiled, "Shocho, this is Japanese way of saying thank you. Please accept."

I remembered my Japanese grandmother always insisting that we not go empty handed whenever we visited someone. And whenever a Japanese friend came to visit us, they always brought a gift. To always show one's appreciation for their friendship. In a way, Masa was doing the same thing. Showing his appreciation for my help. It would be rude for me not to accept.

I smiled and gave a head tip to Masa and Risa, "Thank you for taking care of the hotel and air fare. I am sure that I will enjoy the rest of my stay."

Masa turned to Risa, "Do you have anything pressing for the rest of the week?"

"No, just routine things." She replied.

"Good. If you can, please show Sekimura-shocho some of the sights in Tokyo."

She smiled, "I would be most happy to do so."

"Sekimura-shocho, Peter, I unfortunately have several meetings already scheduled for this afternoon. But I would like to spend more time talking with you tomorrow. Could you join me tomorrow morning for breakfast and stay the morning?"

"Unless Risa has other plans, I think I might be able to do that."

Risa blushed, "Shocho, I am at your disposal."

Masa laughed, "I never see Risa blush before." And she turned a brighter pink and smiled.

After lunch, Risa and I returned to her office where she informed her staff that she would be "out on assignment" for the rest of the week. But they were to call or text her if something important came up. She also had her assistant rebook my flight reservations for the following week. I needed to bring my tickets and passport in tomorrow. Perhaps when I come in tomorrow to meet with Masa.

We returned to my hotel as Risa told me to dress in comfortable clothes. She was thinking of taking me to the Tokyo Aquarium to see the exhibits, take a harbor cruise and have dinner later. So I changed my clothes, then she drove us to her home so she could change her clothes as well.

Risa lived in an apartment complex that was located nearby. It was a small studio apartment but it had a parking space which was a big plus.

"Company provide me with car and pay insurance, but I must have place to park. So this apartment just right for me."

Her apartment was a small studio with little room for modesty. Risa took her change of clothes into her bathroom and changed there while I waited for her outside. As I waited I took a look around her room and noted pictures of her with her parents, several photos of places, and little else.

Risa changed quickly and rejoined me after she put her work clothes away. She had changed into jeans, a simple pull over blouse and a sweater. Quite the girl next door look. But quite the beautiful girl next door.

"Are these your parents?"

"Yes, my father and mother. They live in Misawa. I try to visit every other month if I can."

"Where is Misawa?" I asked.

"Misawa is far away. It is northern part of Honshu. Take several hours to get there by train."

"I have never been anywhere besides Tokyo and Osaka. I wouldn't mind seeing more of your country. Perhaps another trip is needed at a future time." I smiled and Risa nodded her head in agreement.

We left for the aquarium and spent the rest of the day wandering through the exhibits. One of the major attractions is the Narita area is a huge aquarium that must be at least two stories tall and another 100 feet in diameter. It housed a replica of an offshore reef and it was populated with all sorts of sea creatures and fish. Amazing to see.

Risa took my hand and pulled me to a dark corner of the exhibit to show me a dark cave that was home to a number of sea anemone that gave off brilliant colors under the exhibit's UV lighting.

"Come Peter. You must see this." Risa said as she pulled me over. We were standing quite close together and I could smell her faint perfume and it was very pleasant. Risa moved closer as we continued to look at the anemone. I put my arm around her waist and she turned to look at me briefly, then put her arm around my waist, and turned back to the display.

"Is quite beautiful, yes?" she asked.

"I've never seen anything quite like this. I didn't know that they had so much color."

"Come Peter. More to see." And she took my hand again as we walked away.

We decided to take a harbor cruise of Tokyo harbor. As we waited to board the ship, Risa asked, "So tell me about Peter. Are you married?"

"Was. My wife died several years ago from cancer."

"Oh, forgive me for asking." Risa said with her hand across her mouth and a pained expression on her face.

I took her hand and gave it a squeeze, "Nothing to forgive. You couldn't have known and it's been several years. And it's one of the reasons why I came to Japan."

"Oh? So you come to Japan because of your wife? I don't understand."

"I came to Japan to talk with a new friend. He was able to help me tremendously in understanding my sorrow and to help me put it aside in order to seek a new path for my life."

Risa looked at me, "I don't see any pain or sorrow in your eyes."

"Yes, my friend helped me a great deal. Although I loved my wife, I know that I need to move on with my life."

"You have children?"

"No, no children. We couldn't have any."

We boarded the ship shortly thereafter and it took us on a hour cruise of Tokyo Bay. We could see the harbor area, some of the city, several bridges and causeways that spanned portions of the bay. And as it got later in the afternoon, the city's lights began to illuminate the scenery. Beautiful to look at.

It began to get a little cold and Risa rubbed her arms to keep warm. I wrapped an arm around her and she snuggled back into me and took my arms and wrapped them around her. And I couldn't help but to get a little stiff down there. Risa must have felt my erection as she backed into my groin firmly.

"Risa, do you know what you're doing to me?"

She turned around to face me with a smile, "Yes I do. You don't like?"

I smiled back and wrapped my arms around her again as she wrapped her arms around me in return, "I like it a lot and I like you a lot."

"Me too. I mean I like you also."

"So tell me about Risa."

"Well you know I come from Misawa. I graduate from university in international business. I work for company as educational consultant. My job is to find business partners who help schools in other countries. So I have customer in China, South Korea, Vietnam, Philippines, other countries. So I travel every month."

"No husband or boyfriend?"

She laughed, "No. No boyfriend, no husband." She sighed, "I am too old."

"Too old? You can't be more than 25 or so."

She smiled, "I am 33."

I looked at her and I couldn't see that. "33? I can't believe that. You look much younger. And 33 isn't that old."

"Is for many Japanese man. They want young sexy girl."

"Their loss. But that enables me to know you better. Would you be interested in exploring a relationship with me?"

She smiled, "I find myself very interested in you. Yes."

And she blushed as we hugged briefly.

"How old are you Peter?"

"48."

"You don't look 48, maybe 40." She replied. "Is good age."

We chatted for the rest of the boat trip about my former job and her job. Where I lived and where she came from, Misawa. And before we knew it, we were back at the docks.

"So let's have dinner somewhere. Where do you recommend?" I asked Risa.

"You come home with me, I cook." Risa smiled.

"Ok. I haven't had a home cooked meal in a long time."

We drove back to her apartment then walked several blocks to a super market where Risa picked up the ingredients for our dinner. As we walked through the super market, Risa held onto one of my arms as I carried the basket.

We returned to her apartment and we sorted out the items that she bought. As she began to prepare things I asked if I could help with anything.

She smiled, "I forget, you are not Japanese man. Japanese man don't like kitchen or house work. You know how wash rice?"

"How could I not know? My grandmother made us wash rice from when we were kids." So I grabbed the rice pot and put one cup of uncooked rice in it and washed it. Then filled the pot with enough water then put it into the rice cooker and turned it on.

Risa watched me the entire time as she washed and cut up vegetables and chicken. "Your grandmother teach you how to cook rice. Did she teach you to cook also?"

I chuckled; "Grandma, obaachan, made sure that we could all take care of ourselves. So yeah, she made us cook dinner for the family every evening. Actually, it was kind of like a daily gathering. All of us kids would be in the kitchen, helping to cut vegetables, wash the rise, cook the meal, and grandma used to ask us about school, sports, girlfriends and boyfriends. I miss that now that I remember what we used to do."

Risa nodded her head. "My mother do same. Dinner time was time for whole family to be together. We all have to help make dinner, we eat same time, then we all help clean up. Where your grandmother from? What part of Japan?"

"I remember her saying something about how warm the summers were in Japan and how cold the winters could be. Something about a special kind of apple that their farmers were known for. And she raved about the seafood that they always ate. I recall her saying something about an old castle in her town that used to belong to the local ruling family. I think it was the Tsugara or Tsugaru family?"

Risa clapped her hands, "Hirosaki. Your grandmother come from Hirosaski. I know castle. Is very old. Town is close to where I born, Misawa. Tsugaru was the castle Daimyo (lord). And many farms around Hirosaki grow Fuji apples. Hirosaki is well known for this apple. I take you Hirosaki after you visit with Yonemura Shacho. You will need overnight bag, maybe we stay two days."

By then dinner was finished cooking and we enjoyed a chicken vegetable stew. Wow was it good. Can Risa cook.

"That was fantastic. I haven't ever had a dinner like this. Thank you."

Risa wore a huge smile, "I am glad you enjoy. Make me happy to see you enjoy."

It sure made me happy to see Risa happy also so I leaned over and kissed her. She leaned back with a look of shock on her face, then she blushed all over and smiled. "Thank you, Peter."

At first I feared that I had committed some sort of major transgression however Risa's smile and her blushing was a giveaway that she enjoyed the kiss just as much as I did. So I did it again and she leaned into the kiss this time.

"If I cook good food do I always get a kiss?" Risa asked in a joking sort of way.

I looked at her sternly which surprised her, then I said seriously, "Yes. Always. A good cook always deserves a good kiss. Especially a good cook as beautiful as you."

That caused her to laugh loudly and I joined in.

"Peter, you ..... I am happy with you."

With that, we cleaned up her little dining area and her kitchen. She made a pot of hot tea and we sipped it as we relaxed.

"Thank you Risa. I have really enjoyed myself today and the dinner was really good."

"You are welcome. I have not cooked for someone in many years. I enjoy this very much also."

"I suppose I should get back to my hotel. What time will you pick me up tomorrow morning?" And so we arranged to have her pick me up around 7:00 and take me to the office to have breakfast with Yonemura Shacho.

Risa drove me back to my hotel and she walked me to the lobby.

123456...9