Fortune Smiled

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I will see you tomorrow morning Peter. Please remember bring ticket and passport."

She made to hug me and I kissed her again. This time she returned the kiss and we had a full body hug. It really felt good to hold Risa.

"Goodnight Risa. I'll see you tomorrow morning." And I waved her goodbye as she returned to her car and drove off."

I returned to my room and pondered the day's events. Risa brought a smile to my face. I really enjoyed our time together. She seemed genuine and language didn't seem to be much of a barrier although I didn't understand much of what was spoken in Japanese between her and others.

I sorted through my things looking for a change of clothes in anticipation of a bath, and I came across the wooden scroll box that Itsuke had given me. Out of curiousity I opened it and laid the scroll on the bed and words began to appear.

"Your destiny awaits. Do not be afraid of new challenges and opportunities, but embrace them fully."

Wow. Ok, how did it do that?

"Do not question but accept that your future will be fulfilling."

This was really weird.

"Not weird, not freaky."

Obaachan. Itsuke's grandmother; I thought.

"You not a fool after all. Believe that good things await you."

I definitely would have liked to have met her.

"No you wouldn't." and I could swear that I heard laughter somewhere.

I bowed to the scroll and carefully rolled it back up and returned it to its wooden box. This was a real treasure to me.

I had a quick shower and jumped in bed, and was asleep before I knew it.

The morning came too soon, however I was up and ready by the time Risa came to pick me up.

"I hope you sleep well last night. You have passport and ticket?" she asked.

"Yes, I had a very restful sleep. There's something about a great dinner with pleasing company that makes me relax. And here are my passport and ticket." I smiled in return. Risa smiled back.

Risa drove us to the office and gave my passport and ticket to her secretary. She would rebook my return flight and arrange for new tickets to be issued. We then met Yonemura Shacho in the dining room.

"I hope you slept well." Masa asked.

"Yes. The hotel is very comfortable."

"Risa, please have breakfast with us also." Masa asked. The invite surprised her but made her happy to be included.

After our breakfast had been served, Masa turned to me and asked, "Peter, I have request for you to consider. I would like you to work for our company."

Now that really surprised me. I guess it was written all over my face.

Masa smiled, "Is it too much to ask?"

"Oh, no, not at all. It's just that I wasn't expecting your offer at all. I'm really surprised."

Risa was smiling. Masa took a quick glance in her direction and did a double take at her reaction.

"Risa, you are happy with my request to Sekimura Shocho?"

"Hai, Shacho. Sekimura Shocho is a very good man. I spend time with him yesterday afternoon and evening and I have much respect for him."

Masa smiled, "Perhaps more than professional respect?"

Risa smiled and blushed. "It is as a moth drawn to a flame. I am not able to resist my attraction to Sekimura Shocho."

Masa patted her hand. "Then it is fitting that you are part of this conversation."

He turned to me and said, "After our meeting yesterday, I had a very long conversation with our mutual friend Itsuke. At first he was reticent to say much, but he relented and told me your story after I told him what I would like to propose to you."

At first I was troubled that Iwamasa Itsuke would speak to Masa about me, but I also didn't think that I had much to lose. At the worst, I would enjoy Yonemura's hospitality for a few days then go home. But his request to work for him had me intrigued. And the scroll's message to me last night was still fresh in my mind.

"Itsuke said that you need to find another focus for your life and I propose to provide you with one. Would that interest you?"

Risa was sitting upright and paying full attention to our conversation.

"Perhaps. It depends on what your proposal is. You have to understand Masa, that I'm just an electrical engineer that designed electrical systems for cars."

Masa smiled, "You are not just an electrical engineer, Sekimura Shocho. In just a matter of half a day, you have my people referring to you as Shocho, a sign of great respect. You are much more. You are not just an engineer. You are someone who has much knowledge and experience. You understand how to work with others and gain their respect."

Risa nodded her head in agreement. "Sekimura Shocho, you have shown yourself to be deserving to be called by that title."

Masa continued, "Our company has need for someone to be my business partner. Someone to head our expansion into western markets such as the US, Canada, and Europe. We have capable staff to do much of the busy work but we don't have someone who can think long term and strategically for those markets, as well as speak for our company. Itsuke says that you are such a person."

He paused to gauge my reaction. To say I was stunned was an understatement.

"Masa, I don't know if I'm capable of doing that."

"Itsuke said that you are. That you are a very analytical thinker. That you sought to understand hidden meanings and determine why people think the way that they do."

I shrugged my shoulders, "I guess I do."

"You are the sort of person that our company needs. Would you consider our offer."

"Masa, I don't want to disappoint anyone. Least of all you and Risa, and Itsuke."

"I am confident that you will not." And Masa proceeded to layout his proposal.

I would be brought in as a Senior Advisor and hold the corporate title of Executive Vice President as well. I would head the International Division as its Managing Director. The division's primary focus would be the development of western markets; namely the US, Canada and Europe. I would establish an office in the US somewhere as well as maintain an office here in Tokyo at their headquarters. Their current international marketing staff would report to me as well as several educational consultants.

Masa then began to highlight my compensation package, but as he got started I stopped him. "Masa, I'm sure that your compensation package will be very generous. Before you say anything, let me think about the merits of your proposal for a couple of days, without the distraction of the compensation package. I need to focus on the challenges of the proposal that you made this morning and then consider whether I can do the job."

Masa smiled. "You see Peter? Iwamasa sensei knows you very well. Itsuke advised me that compensation will not cause you to decide. But the assignment, if interesting enough, would influence your decision to accept or not."

Damn. Itsuke knew me better than I knew myself. He was right. The proposal had to make sense and had to be something that I would want to take on. Otherwise I would probably turn it down even if Masa offered me untold riches.

"May I give you my answer in several days?" I asked.

"Take as much time as you need. Risa will know how to find me when you are ready."

Then we were done for the morning. Risa informed Yonemura-Shacho that I wanted to see Hirosaki so we would most likely visit there for a few days. He left Risa and me in the dining room as we sat sipping our coffees.

"Peter, your decision will come to you when you are ready to decide. So let's visit Hirosaki as we planned."

I looked at Risa and agreed, "you're right. Let's visit Hirosaki. Maybe stop over and see Misawa also. That will give me time to consider Yonemura Shacho's offer."

She took my hand as we walked out of the dining room. "I am sure that you will make decision that will be good for everyone. Don't worry. I think you better than you think."

We left the office, picked up my passport from her office, then picked up my travel bag from my hotel.
We went to her apartment where she packed a travel bag as well. We then left her car at her apartment and took a cab to a nearby train station. We caught a local to the Shinjuku Station, the major train terminal that services central Tokyo. We then caught the Shinkansen bullet train that went up to Hachinohe. Risa's plan was to then catch a local train over to Hirosaki and stay at one of several onsens in the area. She didn't think it would be problem finding a room.

The ride from Tokyo to Hachinohe took a little more than three hours. Risa and I took a look at a couple of tourist brochures to find out what there was to see in Hirosaki besides the castle. Then we decided not to worry about it and just take it as it came.

As our train progressed up to Hachinohe, we reclined our seats and Risa leaned her head against my shoulder and wrapped her arms around mine. I woke some time later as an attendant made an announcement over their PA system. Probably announcing our arrival at one of the cities along the way. Risa had likewise napped and was just waking up also.

She looked up at me and I kissed her. She smiled and kissed me back.

Our train pulled into Sendai, which is located a little more than half the way to Hachinohe. It was a short stop, then we resumed our journey.

"Peter, would you like to stay at onsen while we in Hirosaki?"

"That would be an inn with a hot springs bath?"

She nodded her head in agreement.

"I think that would be a great idea. I think I would really enjoy that. Let's do that."

Risa pulled out one of the brochures and called one of the onsens with her cell phone, and made our reservation.

"Were they able to accommodate us?" I asked Risa.

"Hai, we have reservation so not a problem."

We chatted about meaningless things for the balance of our trip up to Hachinohe. Upon our arrival, we found that a local train would be leaving in thirty minutes to Hirosaki. We purchased our tickets and were at the passenger platform with ample time to spare.

The local was not as fancy as the Shinkansen bullet train, yet it served its purpose and got us to Hirosaki without any problems. A short cab ride later and we were at the onsen.

At check-in, Risa was handed keys to one room only.

"Risa, will we be sharing a room?"

She smiled, "I think we find out how well we are together. I like you very much and I think you like me also. Do we move forward with us or do we stop here and just be co-workers? And do not think I do this for company. I do this for myself and for you only. If we find that we are very good together, then we will be very happy. Job is second place. I can work other places."

I smiled and kissed Risa and she kissed me back in return. And we went to our room to drop off our overnight bags, freshened up a bit, hugged and kissed a lot, then went out looking for a restaurant to have dinner.

We found a small restaurant several blocks away from the hotel. It looked as if it was family owned with father on the grill, mother in the kitchen and their daughter attending to their patrons. As we entered the restaurant, the father yelled out a greeting that one usually hears, "Hai, irasshai (welcome)."

Their daughter greeted us and said in English, "Please take seat, this table ok?"

Risa and I smiled and bowed to her and sat ourselves at the offered table. The daughter introduced herself as Yui, and provided us with menus. Instead, I asked Yui, "does your restaurant offer omakase (chef's choice)?"

"Hai, so desu. For both of you?" she asked. I turned to Risa who nodded in agreement. So I answered, "Hai, domoo arigato (yes, thank you.)"

Yui smiled and reseated us at a counter on what you would call the sushi bar at a state-side sushi restaurant. Her father promptly served us small porcelain cups of cold sake. Then he explained that our dinner would be primarily be seafood. He asked if we had any allergies, to which I responded, "Iie. No allergies that we know about."

He looked at me with curiosity, "Nihongo wakaremasuka (do you understand Japanese)?" he asked.

"Sukoshi (little) desu." I replied. Then I heard Obaachan in my head, laughing to herself. And all of a sudden I began to understand the conversations that were going on around us. Damn. Freaky.

"Not freaky. Not weird either." Along with Obaachan's laughter which quickly faded.

As I tuned back in, I heard Risa explain to Yui's father that I was visiting from the US. And Risa was speaking in Japanese. Damn. Amazing!

She must have seen my face which must have had a very surprised look on it, "Sekimura Shocho, are you ok?"

I looked at her and nodded my head in agreement, then replied in Japanese, "Hai, I feel very good. Something very amazing happened a few moments ago. I will explain it to you later."

To say that Risa was flabbergasted with my newly acquired Japanese speaking abilities would be an understatement. But I took her hand to sooth her and we then settled down to enjoy Yui's parent's culinary skills.

Out came a clear broth that had an unmistakable aroma of fresh matsutake mushrooms. Don't ask me how I knew what they were. I just knew. And I bowed my head towards Yui's father out of respect for the soup made with the highly prized and difficult to get mushrooms.

"Domoo arigato gozaimasu (thank you very much). I can see that this is a very special broth prepared with much care. We will enjoy this very much." I told Yui's father.

He bowed slightly before turning his attention to the preparation of the rest of our meal. Then came a series of delicately prepared and flavorful dishes that I have never tried before.

The Japanese call it "umami" or the soul of the food. Our meal that evening was full of it. From the crisp, chilled sake to the hearty seafood stew, to the thick, generous slices of Maguro Otoro and Hamachi raw fish. Everything was so well prepared. And we just knew that Yui's father received great satisfaction from providing a meal that lived up to his expectations. It was so apparent. He was here doing what he was doing, because of his devotion to his craft and his customers.

After trying a little of everything, Risa and I finally called it quits, loudly proclaiming Yui's father to be a truly gifted chef. We were fortunate to have had the pleasure of eating at their restaurant.

As we sipped a cup of hot green tea, I asked Yui in Japanese whether she helped in the kitchen. She laughed which caused her parents to also laugh. "I am terrible cook. So no, I help in front of restaurant. But Shocho, your Japanese is very good. Why you say you are not good to speak Japanese?"

And I replied in Japanese, "I am just beginning to learn to speak Japanese. So I ask for your indulgence if I say something that is not right or proper."

Yui dipped her head in understanding.

"I am curious, why do you call me Shocho?" I asked Yui.

Yui's father bowed and replied, "It is obvious to us. You are someone of bearing and importance. Your manner, your speech, your deference to your wife, the respect you give to us. Only someone who has commanded others knows the value of the people that one meets."

I turned to Risa and saw tears in her eyes as she bowed to Yui's father. "It is as you say. Sekimura shocho is someone who is greatly respected in my company."

"Sekimura shocho?" Yui's father asked? "Sekimura is familiar name here in Hirosaki. Do you have family here?" he asked.

"I am told that my grandfather and grandmother came from this area many years ago. But I am not certain."

"What was grandfather's first name?"

"I think it was Saburo. Grandmother's name was Michiko."

"Sekimura Saburo. Sekimura Michiko. I think you should consult with town hall tomorrow. See if your family's Koseki (family registry) still exists."

In Japan, a registry of births, marriages, children, and deaths was kept for each person in each town. This practice had been in place for many generations. And if one moved from town to another, their Koseki moved with them. It was not unheard of to have family koseki's that dated back to the 1600's or earlier.

"Legend says that lord of castle had several senior advisors. I think one was named Sekimura. Tsugaru family is descended from the lord of castle. They might have records."

Risa sat in her chair, absorbing all that had been said. "Legend must be true. My company Shacho want Sekimura shocho to be senior advisor also."

Yui kneeled before me and bowed, "Shocho, it is our honor to have you visit our little restaurant."

"Yui, please, I am just a simple man. Risa and I, on the other hand, are honored to have been treated to such a fine dinner prepared by your father and served by you and your mother."

I turned to Risa and asked if it would be appropriate for us to take a picture of Yui, her father and mother, with us? I was thinking of taking it with me when I next visited Iwamasa sensei, then ask him to bless them. One of the other patrons took our picture as we grouped together in front of their restaurant.

We eventually returned to the onsen and upon entering, Risa asked the front desk if we could use one of their private bathing rooms. And we were assigned one of them.

We returned to our room to change into yukatas (Japanese casual kimono), but before we did anything else, Risa asked me about my sudden ability to speak Japanese.

"Remember when you asked whether I was feeling ok?"

"Hai, that was just before you began to speak Japanese."

"I had just received a gift of language."

"Nan desuka (what)?" she was shocked and didn't know what it meant.

"Risa, please, indulge me and do not be afraid."

"Of what?"

"What I am about to show you. Please."

I retrieved the wooden box and took the scroll out and unrolled it on the bed. At first it remained blank, then words in Japanese began to appear. Risa, screamed, and tried to bolt, but I held onto her firmly.

"Risa, please be calm. Don't be afraid. I was most fortunate tonight and was blessed with the gift to speak and understand Japanese. This gift comes from a family that has taken care of their family temple for many generations. Their grandmother speaks to me through the scroll. Come and see."

And Risa cautiously moved closer to the scroll to read the words that were now visible.

"Welcome Risa. Know that your affection for your special person is not misguided. Your future is secure as long as you follow your heart."

"How ...... scroll was blank .... It knows my name?"

I nodded and spoke, "Obaachan (grandmother) knows what you mean to me. More than I know myself."

Risa looked at me, "And what do I mean to you?"

I looked at her and took her in my arms, "I sense in you, my future and my happiness." And I kissed her softly and at length. Risa's arms wound themselves around me as her tongue sought mine. When our lips finally parted, I glanced at the scroll that was now blank, and chuckled.

"I think grandmother got tired of waiting." Risa blushed.

"Shall we bath?" she asked.

We returned the scroll to the wooden box and put it away.

Risa led me to the private bathing area. Inside the small vestibule was a changing area. So Risa and I took our clothes off and placed them into plastic bins that had been provided for them. As she turned to face me, Risa's slim Asian build assaulted my senses. My erection demonstrated what I thought about this Asian beauty.

"I hope that I am pleasing to you," she asked quietly.

"You take my breath away."

She blushed and smiled then took my hand and led me into a tiled wash area. There were several plastic stools and hand held sprayers along one side of the room. Risa took one of the sprayers, adjusted the water temperature and proceeded to wet me and then wash me. It was such an intimate act. I could feel her affection for me as she slowly washed me all over. When she was done I did the same for her. Slowly washing Risa all over; her arms, her back, her torso, her beautiful breasts, her back, her private areas. We hugged often as we washed and rinsed each other off.

1...34567...9