All Comments on 'Founders Ch. 04'

by KSweetums

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
KJay15KJay15almost 3 years ago

I find it strange that they have narrowed 100s of people down for this mission, yet they are sending people with disabilities? Also I've noticed in a few of your stories the characters fall in love ridiculously fast, still waiting on some actually story

KSweetumsKSweetumsalmost 3 years agoAuthor

100 people for this mission, yet nobody with Berte's unique abilities. Is that a surprise? The only time disability equals deficiency is when the so-called "disabled" person themselves believes it does or when somebody in a position of power believes it does. In this case, neither is operating. I think that in Berte's case, and in the case of many others I've met and hung out with in my life, it means "rich, interesting, and quirky personality." Perfect for a story, I'd say.

With regard to falling in love ridiculously fast, many of these characters resemble the author. Love is more a function of enthusiasm than knowledge, in my experience.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

I just got diagnosed autistic, and I'm still learning about it. I like Zach and Berte. Berte is different, and Zach gets it. He interacts with her in ways that work for her. That is really rare.

KSweetumsKSweetumsalmost 2 years agoAuthor

Unfortunately, it is really rare today! I'm hoping that attitudes change as people see autistic characters represented. I hope readers gain the confidence to approach autistic people, listen carefully, and speak concretely. That's really all it takes. There's so much value to engaging with people who think so differently and oftentimes very creatively!

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitover 1 year ago

I like how you included an autistic character, and applied realistic behaviors. People shouldn’t feel as though they have to hide parts of themselves. They shouldn’t be ridiculed or belittled over autism. My son is on the spectrum (Aspergers), High functioning but slow to emotionally mature.

KSweetumsKSweetumsover 1 year agoAuthor

Thanks, Who. I also have an autistic son. When he was younger, he had pervasive nerve damage and the whole bit. He was diagnosed back when it was a one in ten thousand disease. Because there was nobody like him, I don't think he was ever teased in school. He was just on his own planet. It's interesting that younger parents of kids on the spectrum face different, sometimes harsher challenges than we did, now that it's common.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous