Friends with Consequences Ch. 15-20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, if that's okay..."

"It's perfectly fine with me," the woman responded with an assuring smile. "Ladies, come on in and have a seat."

As the two young women stepped inside, Linda asked, "Are you sure the doctor is going to be okay with me having a friend?"

"I'm sure she'll be fine with it," the woman responded with a little chuckle. "I've known her my entire life, so I can usually predict what she will say."

"Well, where is she?" Patricia asked, looking around.

"She's right here! My name is Michelle, and it's very nice to meet you both."

The two girls went wide-eyed in confusion. "You're old enough to be a doctor?" Linda asked, looking the woman up and down. With her small frame and soft skin, the girls could have sworn the mysterious woman was close to their age.

"I'm old enough to be a licensed therapist," the woman quickly pointed out, looking back at her certifications and master's degree hanging on the wall. "Some people don't like calling us doctors because we didn't go to medical school. Health professionals are pretty snobby about that, actually. But you don't have to call me doctor. You can just call me Michelle."

"Have you had... many clients before?" Linda asked, trying hard not to sound too disrespectful.

Chuckling with a pleasant smile, Michelle responded, "You know, I'm not as young as I look. I'm about to hit that magical thirty number that everyone constantly warns me about. But yes... I know I look young because of my face and high-pitched voice, but I've been doing this for about six years now. If you'd rather speak with someone older or someone who has more experience, just let me know and I will happily get you transferred to a different therapist."

"Oh, no!" Linda quickly responded, waving her hands. "I didn't mean to offend you. I was just a little surprised by how young you are. I thought all therapists were like fifty years old."

"Well, some of them are," Michelle pointed out with an adorable laugh. "Sometimes, when people call for help, they have specific requests for who they see. For example, an older male who is dealing with issues stemming from trauma, like you would see in the military or law enforcement, may not want to get paired up with a young female like myself. It's not about me convincing them I can do a sufficient job; What matters is making the patient as comfortable as possible."

"I guess that makes sense," Linda and Patricia both responded, nodding their heads like they were in school again.

"Since you didn't list any special request, our department used your age, your gender, and some of the issues you listed, and figured I would be a good match for you because I might have more in common with you than a fifty-year-old man."

Feeling a bit relieved by the young therapist's confident tone, Linda smiled and replied, "I actually think I'm comfortable with this."

"So, you're totally fine with me being here as well?" Jesse asked.

"Oh, definitely! Especially to begin with, I think it's good to start with as much support as possible."

"If you don't mind, she actually has another friend that's coming. Is it okay to have three of us here?"

"I don't mind at all," Michelle assured. "The more the merrier. As long as we don't get like a hundred people in this little office. That would be kind of ridiculous."

"No, it's just the three of us," Jesse quickly responded. Then, as she heard a knock at the door, she jumped up and said, "That must be her!"

Jesse left her seat and opened the door before encountering Linda's college roommate for the first time. As their eyes met, they both wanted to cry, feeling a connection from all the hard work they put into helping their mutual friend.

"You must be Patricia," Jesse said, as the two women embraced.

"And you must be Jesse... Thank you so much for finding Linda that night."

"Thank you so much for taking care of her at school."

After the two girls walked in, Patricia quickly gave Linda a hug. "I'm so sorry... I knew that you were dealing with a lot. I should have been more proactive!"

"This is no one's fault but my own," Linda quickly assured, holding her roommate's hands. "But thank you for being here."

Patricia looked over at the therapist before sitting down. "Oh sorry! I'm Linda's friend. We've been roommates at college for the past two years."

"No, no, no!" Michelle quickly responded with a pleasant smile. "This is really good! It's important to for her to work through her feelings with those she is most comfortable with."

"Thanks for being so understanding," Linda said, smiling after the emotional reunion. Then, with a deep breath, she asked Michelle the question that had been on her mind since she stepped into the office. "So... do you think you can fix me?"

"Oh, I'm not going to fix you," the young therapist responded, staring into the eyes of her newest patient.

"Oh... You're not?"

"I hope you weren't under that impression," Michelle started, looking calm and confident as she crossed her legs. "I'm here to help you help yourself. I'll be there every step of the way, to give you the tools and feedback you need to work through things, but it's you who has the power to fix yourself, not me. And I am confident you can do it."

A confused expression came over Linda's face as she felt adrenaline rushing through her limbs. It was scary for someone to tell her she was the one who controlled of her own destiny. At the same time, there was an electric feeling, hearing Michelle's confidence in her.

With a deep breath, Linda looked into the soft brown eyes of the young therapist. Trusting that she was in good hands for some reason, she responded. "I'll do my best..."

"That's all I ever ask," Michelle replied with a genuine smile. She then grabbed her notepad and put her glasses on, before saying, "So, let's start from the beginning. I want to know anything and everything you're comfortable sharing."

Linda looked back and forth at both of her friends, feeding off the support she so badly needed. Feeling as if she was taking the first step off a scary ledge, she explained, "For the last two years... I've been feeling... I've been feeling trapped..."

********

"So, you actually broke up with her?" Lee asked, speaking on the phone with Max. "What did you say when she told you to choose between her and Linda?"

"I told her I didn't want to be with either of them."

"Whoa, you said that?!"

"Yeah... I just can't be with someone who would give me an ultimatum like that. Allie is really cute and fun to be around, but I need someone who can trust me, and as of right now, that isn't something she is capable of."

"So what now? Do you ever think you'll get back with Linda?"

"I don't think so... I saw her the other day, and she was happy to see me, but her issues go way beyond me. As much as I care about her and Allie, I think I'm just going to enjoy being single for a while. Maybe someday I'll find a girl who has all the qualities I want, but until that day comes, I think I'm happy by myself."

Lee was relieved they were only talking on the phone, so his younger roommate couldn't see the big smile on his face. "You're definitely not the pussy you used to be."

"Thanks, Lee," Max responded, shaking his head as he smiled.

"Oh, hey! While I have you on the phone, I wanted to talk to you about something," Lee quickly said, catching his college roommate's attention. "A buddy of mine told me about a business opportunity. I was interested, but it didn't really work for me because I'm going into my final year of grad school, and I have an internship next year."

"Oh, that sucks," Max responded. "Too bad. I guess the timing was just a little off."

"Yeah, it might have been a good opportunity for me... but he also asked if I knew anyone smart that might be interested. I couldn't think of anyone smart, so I mentioned you instead."

After sharing a laugh, Max asked, "Wait... you mentioned me for a business opportunity? Am I even old enough? Did you mention I haven't finished my bachelor's yet?"

"I don't think it requires a degree," Lee explained. "Just hear him out. He's a smart guy and you have a good head on your shoulders. I figured you might be interested. Either way, you should at least take a look."

"Okay, thanks..." the young man responded. He then hung up the phone and stood in silence, wondering what might be in store for his future.

********************

Chapter 19

May 29th

"Thank you for having the courage to speak to me alone."

"There were some things I didn't want to say in front of my friends... but I'm ready to tell you now."

"I'm glad to hear that. I take it as a sign you're starting to trust me?"

"Yeah... I'm ready to trust you now."

"Thank you for trusting me."

June 11th

"Why do you feel you don't deserve to live?"

"I don't feel like I have any value anymore."

"What value do you think you've lost?"

"I used to be so attractive and fun. All the guys thought I was hot and wanted to have sex with me. That was how I used to get what I wanted from guys. Eventually, I realized that couldn't use it to get what I wanted anymore."

"Using sex to get what you want... is that when you were with Max?"

"Yes... but it also got me what I wanted with Jake. That was short-lived though. After a while, it no longer got me anything. And when I tried to go back to Max, he didn't want me either."

"Do you still think your self-worth is tied to providing a physical relationship?"

"Kind of... but after the breakup, I went back to Jake seeking that same feeling of self-worth. I just ended up feeling worse and worse, every single time."

"We need to work on the way you view yourself. I think you provide much more value than the sex."

"I appreciate that... but you're a therapist... you're supposed to say nice things to me."

"I don't have to like my clients, but I do like you. You're a very introspective woman. And that's why I think you have so much potential."

June 18th

"How's your relationship with your parents?"

"Better... but I can't help but feel guilty..."

"What would make you feel less guilty around them?"

"I want to make them proud, but I feel like that ship has already sailed. Now, I'm stuck at home, relying on them to take care of me because I failed out of school."

"Well, let's try to brainstorm some ideas to accomplish your goals. How does that sound?"

"I don't know... but I'll try..."

July 9th

"Did you find a job?"

"Kind of... but not a very good one."

"But did you find a job?"

"I did..."

"What kind of job is it?"

"It's just a receptionist job at a car dealership."

"What's so bad about that?"

"I don't know... It's a pretty low-paying job, and it's not like I can make a career out of it."

"Lin, you're twenty... It's not about finding the best job or best career you could possibly get. I just want you to develop a routine for now and work on some of those smaller goals we talked about. Baby steps, okay?"

"Yes Ma'am..."

"Hey... I told you to stop calling me Ma'am. Just call me Michelle."

"Ha... I told you to stop calling me Lin..."

"I guess you're comfortable enough to argue back with me now?"

"I guess I am."

August 1st

"Guess what?!"

"What is it?"

"I couldn't wait to tell you... I finally got my driver's license!"

"Congratulations Lin...da!"

"Haha, nice save. But you were right; it wasn't that hard!"

"See! I knew you could do it. So, are you going to start driving yourself to work?"

"I was actually hoping for some time to get more comfortable driving, but my dad thinks it would be a good idea for me to start driving myself to work, right away."

"That's nice of him to trust you so much, right off the bat. How is he and your mom, by the way?"

"My parents seem... kind of happy with me. They admitted it's not the life they envisioned, but they're just glad I'm working. They always seem eager to ask me how work went."

"And how is work going?"

"Oh, I hate it... but I'm glad I'm doing it. It's nice to make money and work towards something."

November 12th

"So, you know my job that I hate so much?"

"Yeah?"

"They actually offered to let me transfer to one of their bigger dealerships."

"Oh, wow... Where is it?"

"It's actually close to where I went to college."

"And how do you feel about that?"

"I don't know... It sounds tempting because it's in a much bigger and nicer city. It would also be a pretty good pay raise."

"Does the idea of being that close to your college trigger any anxiety?"

"It does... but I also like the idea of being closer to Patricia. Also, Jesse's college isn't that far either."

"I'm glad you can see the positives in going back to that area. I don't want you running away from a location just because of the trauma you suffered in the past. When you're ready, and only when you are ready, I want you to be able to face some of those challenges."

"I get what you are saying... and I think I agree... but I don't think I want to see Jake again... ever."

"I don't want you to see him again either."

November 19th

"So... I accepted the job."

"Congratulations! I knew you would."

"I figured you knew I was going to. You know me so well."

"Have you figured out the car situation?"

"My parents knew I was saving money to buy a car, and they offered to help me, but I actually insisted on buying my mom's old minivan."

"Oh, her minivan? Ha, I never thought of you as a minivan type of woman."

"Yeah, I don't have any kids, thank God!"

"So, your parents were onboard with selling it to you?"

"They were surprised I wanted that van, but I actually really like it. They didn't want to take my money, but I eventually got my way after I threw a tantrum."

"Haha... that's great... but you didn't really throw a tantrum, did you?"

"Of course not."

"Oh!"

"Ha, I got you."

"You sure did... But in all seriousness... you're going to do great over there."

"You really think so?"

"Of course, I do."

"Thanks Michelle."

"Oh, and one more thing."

"Yeah?"

"I'm really proud of you, Linda."

Chapter 20

A year had passed since Linda moved, yet she still found herself in Michelle's office. Despite the distance, the comfortable relationship she had with her therapist had become her second home.

She sat relaxed in the chair with her legs crossed, and her peacoat comfortably folded behind her. There was nothing formal about their sessions anymore. Linda now talked as if she were at a friend's house, chatting about her life. There was something about it that just didn't even feel like therapy to her.

The feeling wasn't exclusive to the young woman. Despite being the one who came for help, Michelle was always the one left smiling after their sessions.

It wasn't just that Linda had been a very good patient who constantly did her best to accomplish her goals. Michelle just found the young woman delightful once she was able to get her out of her shell.

"You know, it's been a year now since you moved. I keep saying this, but I really thought you would have found a different therapy office by now."

As she always did, Linda shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly as she looked across at the young therapist. "I don't mind making the drive to come see you. Besides, my parents live here, so I get to visit them too."

With a smile, Michelle responded, "Well, as much as I appreciate your consistency, I want you to know that I will understand if things ever change for you."

"Why are you trying to get rid of me?" Linda joked with a little chuckle. "Have you finally had enough of me?"

"Of course not! I think you've done a great job, and I'm really proud of you. As a matter of fact, I'm teaching a psychology course, and I thought it would be a good idea if you came with me to class one day."

"Go to your class? But... why?"

"It's very rare for students to get an opportunity to speak with someone who can openly admit their issues. You've done such a good job being introspective. It would be a great learning opportunity for them to see how you have worked through some of your problems."

For the first time in months, Linda started to feel nervous as she spoke to Michelle. With her leg now bouncing, she looked up and asked, "Are you sure... I'm the right person... to speak to them? It's not like I actually fixed any of my issues. I've just been... avoiding them..."

"I'm one-hundred percent sure you're the right person," Michelle said with a confident smile.

"I have some fantastic students and they would love an opportunity to meet to you."

Suddenly, Linda had to fight off the embarrassing feeling of blushing in front of her therapist. "But... what do I even say to them?"

"Just be honest. You don't have to tell them everything about yourself, but whatever you're willing to give is good enough for anybody as long as you're being honest."

With a deep breath and a big smile, Linda nodded her head and replied, "Okay, I'll do it."

********************

After filling his mug with freshly brewed coffee, Max put on his jacket, grabbed his belongings, and walked out the front door. Carefully, he made his way across the slippery driveway before getting into his car.

I never thought I would enjoy drinking coffee, he thought, taking a sip out of his warm mug. I never expected a lot of things, but look at me, driving to another showing.

As he traversed through the snowy roads, he thought about the busy day ahead of him. These clients I'm meeting with seem really serious about buying houses. And the neighborhoods they are looking at aren't on the cheaper side either.

Driving along carefully, like he always did, he began reflecting on his life, and all the decisions he made up to that point. I know this wasn't the ideal route, but taking this risk has really paid off so far. I just have to keep my head down and work hard. Eventually, there will be no doubt that I made the right choice.

As he got to the red light at a busy intersection, he began to look around, confused. Wait a second... Which house was I going to first again? he asked himself. Grabbing his bag from the passenger seat, he pulled out the itinerary he made for that day.

After looking over the document, his eyes were left staring at the date on top of the paper. Why does that look so familiar? he wondered to himself, patiently waiting for the green light. Oh, I remember... It's Linda's birthday.

Although he hadn't spoken to his former love interest in years, he could never stop thinking about her. It wasn't that the young man wanted to be with his former neighbor again; it was that after seeing her go through so much, he just wanted to know she was okay.

Respectfully, he kept his distance, knowing she was getting worse when he was around. Though he wasn't with Allie anymore, he understood her issues went beyond their previous relationship.

Knowing they both always appreciated "Happy Birthday" messages from each other, he picked up his phone and started typing the short message when he suddenly realized the light turning green. Uncharacteristically, he continued to finish the message as he proceeded through the intersection. However, before he could hit send, he brought his eyes back up to the road before everything went black. The last thing he heard was a loud screech followed by a bang.

***********************************

As soon as the clock struck five, Linda jumped out of her chair, smiling as hard as anyone had seen the entire shift. Bracing herself for the cold weather, she put on her jacket and beanie as she made her way towards the exit.