From the Ashes

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Magnus, I want to thank you," Fergus said, holding his son back. Listening to how happy his wife sounded as she showed Haleema around their home. "You don't know how happy your mother was this morning. You can stay mad at me all you want; all I ask is at least talk to her. You should have seen the smile she was wearing as she walked around knowing you'd be coming over. I haven't heard her hum like that in over a year. So, if you still need someone to vent your anger onto, then you direct it at me. These shoulders can take it."

"I see, playing the martyr are we?" Magnus asked, with a smirk.

"If that's what it takes," Fergus nodded.

"Honestly, I just want to put it all behind me. I don't want to bring the anger that's buried deep within here," patting his chest, "into this relationship. I know that would only lead to heartache on both sides, and I really don't want to do that to Haleema," Magnus said, looking into the depths of his childhood home as Haleema's voice filled it as she happily greeted his grandmother.

"You really do have feelings for her, don't you?" Fergus asked, feeling the corners of his mouth lifting as his son nodded. "I'm happy for you son," he said, wrapping Magnus in a hug. Feeling his son's hands patting his back. "Now come," batting back his tears at the fact his son was home, "we can't leave the women alone for too long. Who knows what kind of trouble they'll get into," Fergus said, placing a hand on his son's shoulder.

"Knowing grandma that could be anything," Magnus nodded, sharing a laugh with his father as they entered the house.

"Hey baby!" Edna sat in the recliner holding out her arms to her grandson as he walked into the living room. "So good to finally have you home again," she said, hugging her grandson tightly.

"Isn't that the truth Edna," Marge said from the kitchen, as she walked around it preparing the meal that they all were about to share.

"How's the hip grandma?" Magnus asked, as he pulled away.

"A tad sore, but I'm not in a wheelchair! Thank the Lord for that!"

"Amen," Fergus nodded in agreement.

"I see you've been a naughty boy," Edna whispered with a smirk as her grandson's face burned bright. "She's a lovely girl, I wish you two the best that life can offer the two of you," she said lovingly, as she held her grandson's hands. Watching how he looked back at Haleema, the way she smiled bashfully and brushed her hair behind her ear as she glanced at him.

"Thanks grandma, that means a lot to me," Magnus said, returning his attention to his grandmother.

"See if you stir it like this the potatoes won't stick to the pan, and you'll get a nice even browning on them without stirring all the time," Marge directed noting how Haleema was watching intently on her hand movements. "Magnus, could you set the table?" she asked, looking over at her son. "The potatoes should be done in a few minutes," Marge stated flashing her son a motherly smile.

"Sure," Magnus nodded.

"Now for my trick with the toast," beckoning Haleema closer, "nothing is special, just the love I have for my family that makes it so," Marge whispered into Haleema's ear. "If you keep that in mind everything you cook will taste ten times better than any restaurant. Fergus help your mother to the table..."

"I'm on it," Fergus said, taking charge. Allowing his mother to lean on him as he guided her to her seat. "You okay?"

"I'm fine honey," Enda said, gently caressing her son's face. "Although, I need coffee!"

"How do you take it Edna?" Haleema asked, as Marge directed her to the cupboard that held the coffee mugs.

"Black, two sugars, and a dash of milk," Edna stated. "Perfect," she sighed as she sipped on that black gold.

"Thank you," Haleema said, feeling her cheeks heat at her praise.

"Magnus, take these," Marge said, handing him the plates that held the stack of French toast and sausage patties that were being kept warm in the oven. "Make sure you put an oven mat beneath them," she ordered in that caring motherly voice.

"Yes Mom." Earning him a big warm smile from Marge and a kiss on his cheek.

"Yes, that is better than that beard," Marge said, wiping off her lipstick from his cheek.

"It'll feel much nicer too," Haleema nodded. Fergus's and Magnus's faces burning red hot as the women laughed loudly at that. Haleema blew Magnus a kiss and a wink as he set the plates down onto the table.

"Everyone take your seats," Marge directed once Fergus and Magnus were finished fixing their drinks. Holding out her hand to her son as he sat at the foot of the table and taking hold of Fergus's as he reached over and took his mother's hand and so on, until Haleema's fingers slid into Magnus's left hand linking them all together. "Let us bow our heads."

Church bells rang out in the morning air calling to its flock to seek the warm inviting pews that lined its walls. Children's laughter filled the air as they ran along the manicured grounds. Haleema's body felt light as her fingers interweaved with Magnus's as they walked along the parking lot. Keeping in stride with his grandmother should she need assistance.

"Go on Magnus, go say hi, I'll be alright," Edna said, winking at him. "Go show off that pretty little girl."

"Yes, do show me off," Haleema whispered into his ear. Wondering if his ex-wife was there, how she wanted to rub her nose in it.

"Yes ma'am."

"Now you kids don't start any trouble," Fergus joked as his son looked back him.

"And you're sitting with us, alright," Marge said, in a stern but teasing voice.

"I wouldn't miss it Mrs. Condon," Haleema said, smiling back at her.

"Call me Marge," she said with a wink, pulling her husband back to give her son some space.

"There's Mary Lou!" Haleema said excitedly, as she waved her arm in greeting mirroring Mary Lou who stood in her Sunday best as her children played off in the back ground.

"My, look at the two of you," Mary Lou said, with a sneaky smile. Leaning into Haleema, "Tell me did Magnus maul you once we left last night," she whispered behind her hand, wiggling her eyebrows.

"More like it was an equal mauling," Haleema said, flashing Magnus a coy smile.

"I'd say with that dress you had on. I was surprised you made it out of that motel room in the first place," Mary Lou giggled, enjoying the teasing she was giving her dear friend.

"So... we still on for Tuesday?" Scott asked, shooting Magnus a knowing smile.

"Of course, I got to see these tentacle creatures Mary Lou calls children," Magnus joked wiggling his fingers at her. Smiling broadly as Mary Lou stuck out her tongue at him.

"The only thing here that had tentacles was that beard," Mary Lou shot back.

"Hey now! I liked that beard I'll have you know."

"Oh yeah, then why did you shave it, hmm?" Mary Lou asked, arching an eyebrow, and shooting him a smirk. Listening to her husband as he burst out in laughter as Magnus became red faced.

"Well, if he was ever going to taste my peach again, I wanted a smooth plate to line it on," Haleema purred as her hand caressed his bare chin. Mary Lou was at a loss for words, and it appeared her husband was as well.

"So I take it that it's true then?" Mary Lou asked, referring to the article. Wondering if she could give her pointers on how to get Scott to taste her. Yet he always said it was gross so she never brought it up again. Wondering if she could get Magnus to talk to him Tuesday. She definitely would love to see her husband's face covered in her nectar, like she suspected Magnus was last night. If the look Haleema was giving Magnus was any indication.

"The article you mean?" Haleema enquired.

"You read that?!" Magnus asked, in shock.

"Yeah," Mary Lou said bashfully, looking away.

"I'll text you the details, wouldn't want this one to blow a gasket," Haleema giggled as her hand patted his arm.

"Matt, Donny!" Scott called to his sons. Knowing that the sermon would be starting soon.

"Coming!" Came a reply from within the crowd of children.

"Magnus, Haleema, I'd like you to meet Matt and Donny," Mary Lou said, presenting her sons to her best friend and his girlfriend. "Matt, Donny, this is mama's childhood friend Magnus, and his girlfriend Haleema," she said, resting her hands on each one of their shoulders.

"Hi!" They said in unison.

"Well hello," Magnus said, squatting down. Staring into their bright eyes knowing how he had once wanted to start a family with Iona, a wave of sadness overwhelmed his mind at the lost not of his marriage or his wife; yet of the life that could have been. Looking to his right as Haleema placed a hand on his right shoulder, his eyes trailed up her arm as the sun chose that moment to halo her body. It was almost as if God had descended from the Heavens to whisper in his ear: You have been tested, you have been weighed, now my son I give you this chance to live again. Watching how her eyes softened and grew in brightness, to how her cheeks grew to a light pink hue as his gaze lingered. Her ebony hair slightly swayed in the gentle breeze. Her lush lips curved into a warm loving smile. His mind finishing the life he could foresee, to their wedding, the way she would look as she delivered their child, to their golden years. It was odd he could never truly see that with Iona. He had always thought it would come in time, how he wished he had listened. Then again, he wouldn't have meet Haleema if he did. "I'm Magnus, and you are?" Magnus said, holding out his hand.

"I'm Donny!" the two-year-old said, giggling as Magnus made him believe he had crushed his hand.

"I hope you don't have such a strong grip as your brother does," Magnus said, with an amused smile.

"Mmmhmm," Matt nodded joining his brother as their laughter filled the air as Magnus begged for mercy.

"Seems you have some fine boys Mary Lou, Scott," Magnus said, noting how Mary Lou's hands brushed along their heads.

"Yeah, we do, don't we, honey?" Scott asked, looking over at his wife.

"That we do," Mary Lou said dreamily, staring into the eyes of the man that held her heart.

"Ew!" Matt and Donny said in unison as Mary Lou and Scott shared a kiss.

"What they said," Magnus said, teasing his friend as she rested her head on her husband's chest.

"Shush you!" Mary Lou said, playfully pushing against his chest. "Or you can forget ever getting anymore cookies out of me," she threatened.

"You wouldn't!" Magnus gasped in horror. "Anything but that!" he pleaded forgiveness causing Haleema to giggle behind her hand.

"I would," Mary Lou said, with a wicked smile.

"You're evil, just downright evil," Magnus said, feigning hurt at the thought of losing out.

"Don't you forget it, we should be heading inside," Mary Lou said, seeing Scott nod. "You sitting with your folks?"

"Yeah."

"Can we?" Mary Lou asked, looking up at her husband.

"You wouldn't mind would you, if we join your family would you?" Scott asked, looking at both Magnus and Haleema.

"Not at all," Magnus replied with a friendly smile.

"Then we should get going then," Scott said, nodding behind him as Fergus walked beside his mother up the wheelchair ramp.

"Mom," Magnus said, catching Marge's attention as she spoke with the ladies of the rotary club. "Mary Lou and her family will be joining us."

"They're always welcome," Marge called back waving to Mary Lou and Scott.

"So you're still coming over Tuesday, right?" Mary Lou asked, as they climbed the steps to entrance of the sanctuary.

"Of course," Magnus nodded, smiling as Matt bounded up the steps his brother in tow.

"Well I'll be, Magnus Condon, it warms my heart to see you again," Reverend Matos said, shaking Magnus's hand firmly. "And just who is this gorgeous lady?" he asked, smiling warmly at Haleema.

"This is Haleema, my girlfriend..."

"I thought you and..." Reverend Matos began to say.

"She isn't in the picture anymore," Magnus stated feeling Haleema squeeze his hand.

"Ah. Say no more, I'm just sorry it didn't work out," Reverend Matos said, in a supportive voice, patting his arm and welcoming him into the house of God.

"I know some of you look forward to hearing me speak for what seems to you like an eternity," the congregation chuckled, "yet it's been brought to my attention that Bay Saint Louis has a celebrity in their midst," Reverend Matos said, directing their eyes to Magnus. "While we all will miss his presence in town," Magnus saw a few heads nodding not including his family or friends, "we all wish him luck and safe travels to wherever his path leads him. Why don't you come up and say a few words," Reverend Matos said, waving him up to the pulpit.

Looking down as his mother squeezed his hand, leaning in as Haleema whispered a few supportive words into his ear. Seeing Mary Lou's nod as he moved past her, fist bumping Scott, which to him was odd on so many levels. Shaking his head, smiling at how life had a strange way of playing out. His eyes running over the small setup of the band that the church employed to bring in the youth around town. Remembering how he wanted to join it when it was announced yet fear held sway of his heart. Now he knew better, now he knew he could belong to it if he had the courage to try. Making a beeline to the band stage instead of the pulpit.

"You don't mind if I speak from here, do you Reverend?" Magnus asked, looking up to the pulpit.

"No, of course not,"

"Thank you," Magnus expressed seeing Matos nod. "Some of you know why I left. Why I had to leave my home, my town, some of you don't and that's okay. I learned some truths, truths that I really didn't want to hear or bear yet..." Seeing his grandmother wink, his father nod in support, his mother wrapping her arm around Haleema. "Sometimes things come into your life that turn it upside down. Threatening to drown us in the darkness, to never let you go, and sometimes there's a light at the end of that dark tunnel," Magnus said, his eyes falling on Haleema. "Honestly, I didn't know if this would work out. Thought I'd make a fool of myself when I first showed up in LA. Nevertheless, people I knew nothing of, took me in, showed me the ropes, became my friends. For that I will forever be grateful. I don't know how I would have coped if it wasn't for Haleema, Brandan, or George." Noticing how his mother's head rested against Haleema's as her eyes glistened in her joyful tears.

"Let's hear that voice Magnus!" Scott called out. Magnus looked to Mary Lou who nodded in support.

"Would that be fine Reverend?" Magnus asked, looking up to Matos who nodded again. "You mind if I borrow your guitar for a moment?"

"Sure, go ahead," the teenage girl nodded.

"I appreciate that," Magnus said, with a warm smile. He knew the amp was still live, just the volume was turned down. His eyes ran over the cherry red Fender Stratocaster, knowing it was probably the girl's first guitar. Wondering if she practiced as much as he did when he was her age. "This song might not be appropriate for church, yet it struck something inside of me. It also made me think of someone, that I've grown very close to. As I moved through the darkness that had become my life after the event that sought to pull me under. I got to know this person, then suddenly that lingering hurt started to heal. I hope she knows she means more to me than she knows."

"I do now!" Haleema spoke out as her voice trembled.

"So you do," Magnus said, with a playful smirk. "Without further ado Disturbed's 'The Light'." With the girl's pick in hand Magnus began to play the intro to the song. "Like an unsung melody," his blue eyes stared out at the congregation, "The truth is waiting there for you to find it. It's not a blight, but a remedy." Flashes of his former life flared before his eyes. "A clear reminder of how it began." The fights with Iona rang in his ears. "Deep inside your memory." Noticing how the younger members of the church had pulled out their phones. "You turned away. As you struggle to find it. You heard it call as you walk away." The shambles of his failed marriage echoing in his mind when he thought back to that day.

"A voice of calm from within the silence." The anger he had felt as he witnessed Iona on that table bubbled up. "And for what seemed an eternity." The moment he first meet Haleema pushed aside that emotion. "You waited. Hoping it would call out again." Remembering how she worked with him into the late hours. "You heard the shadow beckoning. Then your fear seemed to keep you blinded. You held your guard as you walked away." The way she moved about the stage capturing his mind as he prayed not to screw up.

"When you think all is forsaken, listen to me now." A smile touched his lips recounting how he and Haleema would talk and talk as they traveled around the country. "Hope's not forsaken. You never need to feel broken again." Her smile filling his mind. "Sometimes darkness can show you the light."

"An unforgivable tragedy." His eyes shoot towards Haleema as she stood singing along with him. "The answer isn't where you think you'll find it. Prepare yourself for a reckoning." Noting how she had her phone in her hand. "For when your world seems to crumble again." Magnus saw how she looked at him as he sang those notes. "Don't be afraid, don't turn away." Haleema stood with her head held high, her sultry voice filling that hallowed hall. "Don't let hope become a memory. Let the shadow permeate your mind and reveal the thoughts that were tucked away." Looking to his left as the church organ began to play matching his tempo perfectly. "So that the door can be opened again. Within your darkest memories. Lies the answer if you dare to find it. Don't let hope become a memory." His fingers moved along the neck of his borrowed guitar as he went into the solo.

"Sickening, weakening. Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul." His blue eyes stared into her lustering brown ones. She didn't need to say the words he could see them within their depths. Magnus hoped she could see the same in his. "You need strengthening, toughening. It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you! Ignite the fire in you!" His pinky lowered the volume knob as the song came to a close. Bowing to the round of applause that greeting him. Gently laying his borrowed instrument on its stand. Mouthing a 'Thank you' to the girl who nodded with excited eyes. As he turned, Haleema's ebony hair was flying behind her as she raced down the aisle, the hem of her yellow sundress beat against her legs as her arms were outstretched.

"I love you too!" Haleema cried joyously as Magnus held her aloft. Whistles resounded as she passionately kissed him as he twirled her around.

Seven months later, on top of the Eiffel Tower, Magnus had asked Haleema to marry him. To which Haleema answered with an exuberant yes. Magnus kept his word; he was indeed at his brother's wedding. He had reservations about Elle-May, he pulled his brother aside to tell him of how off the woman made him feel. Bill understood where he was coming from. Yet Bill stated he saw nothing out of the ordinary but promised to take his words to heart. Pulling his parents and grandmother aside, telling them that he had asked Haleema to marry him. To say his family was overjoyed at the news was an understatement. He had invited Haleema's and his family to his home in Montana where after a little friction between the parents -- namely over where the wedding would be held. LA or Bay Saint Louis. Haleema put her foot down telling them it was going to be held there so they could avoid the press and keep it as private as possible. Brandan and George were elated by the news once they broke it to them. They bombarded Haleema all through their European tour with wedding designs and whatnot.