Gliese Chronicles: Thin Margin Ch. 04

Story Info
A new battle, this against an unseen enemy lurking within.
13.6k words
4.65
2.8k
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
rawallace
rawallace
448 Followers

Authors note: This is the final chapter of this story and I want to thank those of you that found the story appealing enough with the first installment to encourage me to continue by way of your comments. This series is the result of your support and my desire to please you and myself. All of these stories have benefited from the expert editing and comments of Privates1stClass. All of you should be thankful for the behind the scenes work of those who offer to edit stories on this site represent—in this instance, my small talent has been magnified and enhanced to your benefit.

Gliese Chronicles: Thin Margin Ch. 04

By Rachel Anne Wallace

I read over the last two messages to the fleet sent by Admiral Prescott and felt my stomach twist into a knot. The man wasn't convinced we had prevailed, thinking the enemy was cunning enough to fool Morgan and myself. If that were my only concern it would have been enough, but it wasn't—there was still the question regarding what had killed so many people on the enemy vessels and how much of a threat it posed to the rest of us. With Avenger being the point of the spear it put the responsibility squarely on my shoulders. There was a lot riding on the next few decisions I made.

I remained uneasy as we talked with Captain Duris and Commander Caprinol, this despite their kind comments and easy going, confident mannerisms. Admiral Prescott was the source of intense internal tension as I had no idea as to whether he was accepting they were no longer enemies—his attitude in this regard mattered at this point in time a great deal. I was anxious to get to the crux of the remaining critical unanswered questions—one directly related to their need to seek medical assistance—their ship filled with dead bodies and at the moment we didn't know for sure why. What happened to their own medical staff? What killed so many of their people?

Surely, they had such expertise with them on the voyage if they were to establish a new, self-supporting, independent colony upon arrival. Did whatever sickened their crew and passengers pose a potential danger to the rest of us? It seemed we had rescued them, but were we going to be able to save them? Especially those we had identified within the cryo-units with the yellow biohazard symbol? Those who we believed were sick when placed inside with an almost nonexistent hope of future intervention.

"Forgive me for being so businesslike, but before we meet with Admiral Prescott, I think it's important that Commander Stanford and I understand what happened to your ship and the fleet. The real question on my mind is do we need to quarantine your ships and crews before exposing our own people to a potentially dangerous agent of some kind?"

"Please, Captain Casperson, no offense is taken. We know it's important not only for you, but for us as well. It would do us little good to have survived this long if we were simply to harm those in the best position to help us."

Captain Duris looked to Morgan and myself, then continued. "The only reason we agreed to allow access to our ship the second time was because the robots had accomplished the tasks of isolating those members of the crew who were still alive in the cryo-units long ago. They decontaminated the crew spaces beyond the small areas that had remained viable for those of us still healthy at the very end. As far as we can determine, it was a viral agent that spread rapidly over the course of several days—I suspect it came with the pirates we rescued and took aboard. Those infected individuals must have been asymptomatic long enough to spread it to all of our ships and occupants before it manifested itself in an explosive manner. We ourselves were tested for such agents as were the others before being placed into cryo-units marked as safe."

Morgan looked at Captain Duris and Commander Caprinol with a grim expression, "I assume then that even your doctors were infected before they understood what was happening."

Commander Caprinol nodded in the affirmative. "Yes, I'm afraid our medical staff were among the first to become infected as they treated the very first patients in sickbay. By the time they suspected it was airborne and extremely infectious they were among the first to fall ill and die. We had already taken precautions by then to limit movement between ships and to isolate major sections of our ship from each other to slow the spread. Basically, it was too little, too late."

It was terribly ironic—by doing what made our species special, having empathy for those in need, they had become victims of their own generosity. Now, I hoped we had not done the same. I felt my stomach tighten with the thought.

"Captain Casperson, I want to assure you we are not infected as we remained active out of the cryo-units long enough that if we had been contagious we would have fallen ill and been placed into the cryo-units with the appropriate symbol added to denote our status. Being in charge placed an additional burden on both of us to be sure we were not going to be disease vectors when we were revived."

"Thank you, Captain Duris. That answers my questions for now. It tells me we need to bring our medical staff up to speed and to seek the advice of our best virologists before allowing your fleet too close to our inhabited planets and space stations."

"That approach is one we would strongly support and will suggest to Admiral Prescott at our meeting with him. That I assume will be soon. But I would suggest, as an extra precaution, that the number of people attending be kept to a minimum."

"Agreed, I'll communicate that to the Admiral immediately," as I nodded to Morgan.

I watched as Morgan walked to a control panel, tapped a few screens and spoke after putting on a headset—I smiled knowing we were on the same page as usual. I glanced at the two officers in front of me and saw their arms at their sides, only their hands touched each other from time to time and I was sure it wasn't accidental, but intentional. It wasn't hard to tell how close they were—my intuition served me well, just as it had with Morgan—only our relationship hadn't gotten to the same point was my guess.

Morgan walked back to me, his face expressionless, "Captain, the admiral is ready to receive us in half an hour so we may as well head down to the shuttlecraft."

I felt a little tinge of anxiety as I wondered how this was going to go. I had specific recommendations to make after our conversation with New Frontiers's top officers and wasn't sure how they would be received. Morgan had told me previously Admiral Prescott liked to be in the limelight and take credit even where it wasn't fully due to his direct involvement. That I didn't mind, I had seen it often enough before.

But, if he had plans to parade the fleet of our former enemies before the leadership before it was safe it was a different matter. I reminded myself to not prejudge and wait to see how the admiral responded to the new information he would be given by Captain Duris and Commander Caprinol.

We traveled to the hangar bay via the tube transport to where Avenger sat waiting with our shuttle bay doors open and those crew members not on duty relaxing outside. I was impressed as we advanced towards Avenger to see the crew assemble into line and go to attention when they saw officers with us. Our normal routine was for them to remain at ease when it was Morgan and I. Parsons stood in front of them and rendered a smart salute. This brought a smile to my face—we really weren't military organization and seldom was this display performed unless in a ceremony of some form. I returned their salute and when I glanced beside me saw Captain Duris and Commander Caprinol had done likewise.

"Captain Casperson, I'm impressed with the discipline of your crew, I'm sure you must be proud," Duris said quietly.

"I am indeed. They have performed well and take pride in their ship and in their work. I couldn't ask for more."

"No captain could," Duris replied with a smile.

We seated our guests into the shuttle and began preparations to button up and communicate with the automated launch control after Parson's took the crew members back into Avenger's interior airlock. Once the light indicated Avenger was sealed tight, we asked for permission to launch. When the lights indicated the atmosphere was being evacuated from the hangar bay and the light went flashing green the large hangar bay door slid open revealing the star studded space outside. With a steady green light and verbal confirmation we launched the shuttle from inside Avenger and slowly maneuvered outside New Frontiers where a view of the Admiral's ship awaited us.

It felt strange in a way, I was with a captain who commanded a ship that was massive as opposed to my own, yet I was treated as if we were equals. I recognized it wasn't the size of the ship one commanded that made a difference to another captain—it was how you commanded her crew to perform its mission. It was a sign of respect.

Then it occurred to me—I had always viewed Morgan as a capable commanding officer even when the ships we served on were of different sizes. The stresses of command were the same regardless of vessel size, or the number of crew you commanded. Perhaps, I should have a little more patience with the admiral, as he commanded not a single ship, but many. Morgan was piloting the shuttle and I went about conversing with our guests as we approached the admiral's flagship, ADF-61.

We cycled through the hangar deck and waited outside until two officers came out of the airlock and walked towards us. Once the introductions were made we were led to a conference room where the admiral sat, his face firm, not unfriendly exactly, showing a hint of disdain. I could relate, as there were important things to discuss. There were problems to be identified and communicated to the admiral by Morgan and myself. Then the problems dealt with in consultation with our command and the officers of the alien fleet. Plans would need to be developed if there was to be resolution of outstanding problems. After all, what do you do with a fleet of ships and those onboard—both dead and alive with nowhere to go?

The two junior officers who had collected the four of us made the introductions and moved to seats next to the admiral with tablets in hand to take notes. I noticed the red dots of lights on cameras mounted on the bulkheads recording the meeting. The admiral wasted no time in small talk and went straight to his first question.

"Captain Duris, do you surrender your ships to Space Command with the understanding that hostilities will end?"

I was taken aback by the question and tone. I saw the expression on the face of Captain Duris change slightly into a frown.

"Admiral Prescott, my ship and those of the fleet have been handed over previously to Commander Stanford, and then to Captain Casperson. I took it for granted that once accomplished your command structure would understand hostilities had effectively ended. Even then, there are explanations as to why our ships undertook the actions they did at first contact. I understand those actions have consequences. It was an unfortunate set of circumstances that set things in motion and I'm sure you'll understand once all the details are presented to you."

"What I understand Captain, is that your fleet caused significant loss of life and damage to vessels of Space Command. Did Commander Stanford make specific demands or terms as part of your surrender?"

"He asked only that no further action be taken against your vessels and when given command ordered our fleet to distance itself from yours to show no hostile action on the part of our fleet was to be undertaken. Our robot commander sent several messages to your fleet indicating the same thing once they discovered the error in the interpretation of their orders. They received no response and we later learned you were not reading the content of those messages. In fact, only Captain Casperson's vessel did so—it's my understanding those findings were forwarded to you afterwards."

I saw the admiral swallow hard and look down at the tablet in front of him.

Captain Duris continued. "Admiral Prescott, we came to this Gliese system to seek help for our ill crew and passengers, not to engage in aggressive action. Again, I think once you understand the events that led to our presence here you will understand our dire circumstances."

It was time to intervene, apparently Morgan felt the same way.

"Admiral Prescott, as you know all of the humans on Captain Duris' vessel were in cryo-units and not in command of their vessels. Our ship's and Captain's logs that were sent to you contain the after action reports of our engagement with their fleet. Upon revival, Captain Duris and Commander Caprinol understood the gravity of the situation and have been fully cooperative. There is no need to treat them as hostile entities in these discussions," Morgan replied calmly.

Prescott's face went ashen. It was then I suspected he had never taken the time to read, or have someone else on his staff, read, our after action reports. He didn't know what Avenger had done to their fleet or about our boarding their vessel the first time. It was time to apply some pressure.

"Admiral, have you read our reports? They represent the intelligence we gathered as we approached and then engaged their vessels."

I noticed the junior officers on each side of him begin to move uncomfortably. Prescott, for his part sat silent, fingering his tablet, not looking up. Finally, he looked up with a stern expression.

"Your orders were to destroy their vessels. You failed to carry out your orders Captain Casperson. You and Commander Stanford have been derelict in your duties and that will be dealt with accordingly."

I looked at Prescott and tried with great difficulty to remain calm and measured in my response. Morgan nudged my leg under the table with his own—I knew what he meant by it.

"Admiral, our orders were to turn the enemy fleet back from venturing farther into our solar system. If we had attempted to destroy their ships, who vastly out-numbered me, we would have failed as they would have made every attempt to defend themselves and repel us. It would have only been a matter of time before they would have landed a lucky shot and disabled our vessel after detecting a pattern of attack. Our strikes were meant to degrade their command and control systems and force them to retreat. Destruction of their vessels was not needed to accomplish our mission."

The admiral's face went red, "You went against my direct orders to destroy the vessel you were on. That is insubordination plain and simple."

The room went silent until Commander Caprinol spoke, "Admiral, if they had followed your orders we would not be here speaking to you now. You would have killed hundreds of people on our ship alone who were non-combatants in cryo-units. That sir, is something you should think about. Now, the real question is—will you help us?"

I sensed an opportunity to turn the discussion into what it needed to be—how do we set about healing those who could be saved with advanced medical intervention?

"Admiral Prescott, with all due respect. I understand your perspective, but now we have a whole fleet of vessels with humans onboard who need medical treatment. How do we set about doing that?"

Morgan and I had already discussed it and had put together an outline. This discussion was a way of giving the admiral a face-saving way out. Not that I felt at this point he deserved one.

After a long pause I watched Prescott look around the table, his face firm. "Captain Casperson and Commander Stanford, since you know the most about this situation I'm putting both of you in charge of making all the arrangements to seek the necessary medical assistance Captain Duris requires. This meeting is over. I'll send a summary to Space Command leadership so they can inform the leadership there is no longer a hostile fleet to deal with. Thank you all for your time."

We all rose as the admiral left the meeting without another word, followed by his junior officers.

"Captain Duris and Commander Caprinol, I suggest we return to New Frontiers and begin our work. It appears to me we have the authority to request whatever assistance may be needed. I intend to do so as expeditiously as possible before someone else gets in the way."

My fellow officers nodded their approval. I could see by the expression on their faces what they thought of the admiral. We walked back to our shuttle and departed for Avenger and New Frontiers knowing the fate of thousands of potential survivors were in our hands. I was determined we would save each and every one of them capable of responding to treatment.

Upon our return we set about completing an inventory of all of the ships to determine how many crew and passengers fell into each of the three categories. This meant accessing all of the relevant databases on each ship and creating a master data file so we could determine how many people may need treatment in some fashion. I expected there would be but a small of number of uninfected humans. Those individuals were to be quarantined at first to avoid possible infection among our own crew as a further precaution.

I gave orders for the crew to maintain a rotating skeleton crew on board Avenger while other crew members were free to get exercise within the hangar deck of New Frontiers. I promised the crew that as specific recreational areas were identified they would be allowed to use those as well.

A message from Admiral Prescott indicated all vessels of Space Command were to return to their assigned bases at 1220 standard hours with the exception of ADF 132. Avenger was to secure the alien fleet under my command and prepare them for entry into our solar system in an orderly fashion. I noticed Commander Stanford was copied on the message.

Morgan looked at me, "He's not going to offer us any resources not already on our vessel before departing?"

"I know. I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to ask permission to seek volunteer medical staff to remain with us along with additional food supplies. I don't see any reason to have to wait to have supplies sent to us when they are already here. It would take weeks to get everything arranged and transported back here."

"I agree. I wonder why the admiral wants to wash his hands of this situation so quickly. He seems to think his job is completed and gets to go home. I haven't seen anything from Space Command headquarters as of yet, though maybe those communications were sent encrypted for his eyes only."

I crafted a message requesting medical staff and supplies from the fleet. Within ten minutes I received a reply from the admiral's staff stating my request had been granted. Five minutes later a message sent to all vessels in the fleet indicated that medical volunteers should contact Avenger for details and those vessels with surplus rations should inform us and make arrangements for their delivery to New Frontiers.

If we could get even a few human medical staff to augment the medically trained humanoid robots we would be very well served. I realized asking doctors and nurses to leave their own crews to combat an unknown biological agent was asking a great deal.

Over the next two hours preparations for an orderly transfer of supplies was scheduled and our conversations with medical staff resulted in arrangements for not only four doctors and nurses, but equipment and medicines suitable for identifying and treating infectious diseases. I was very gratified with the response from the other captains in the fleet. Ample supplies arrived to last us at least two months at a complement of three hundred crew.

Two hours later we watched from the bridge of New Frontiers as the vessels of our fleet left in quick succession. From an outside perspective the alien fleet was intact and capable—now a new fight would begin, this one with an unseen enemy that lurked inside the hull of every vessel. We would begin with New Frontiers and expand to the other vessels once we gained experience.

rawallace
rawallace
448 Followers