Grabbing the Wheel Pt. 03

Story Info
Genevieve is heartbroken.
2.1k words
4.31
615
1
0

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 04/02/2024
Created 03/24/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is Fiction. All sexually active characters are over the age of 18.

(Note: I recommend reading Parts 1 & 2 of 'Grabbing the Wheel' prior to Part 3 to familiarize yourself with the characters and plots.)

When I woke up the next morning, I could smell fresh coffee. I love coffee in bed. Way to go Grant...ya ticked that box. I snuggled under the thickest of comforters, pulling it up under my chin. Wow, what a feeling. I rolled to one side of the bed. My clothes that I had tossed the night before were neatly folded on a chair. My cute clutch purse sat on top.

I must have died and gone to heaven. Grant was ticking off all the boxes.

I heard kitchenware rustling in the distance—breakfast no doubt. Now I'm certain, he was the sweetest man I'd ever met. Then, a glance to the other side—a framed photo on the nightstand. It was Grant, a woman, and a cute toddler. WTF! I rolled over onto my back and stared at the ceiling—stunned. What on God's earth was I thinking?

Something crawled up beside me. A tiny face appeared, "Hi. I'm Adam. What's your name?" the plucky toddler enquired.

This was the child in the photo. I pulled the comforter tight to my naked body. I was still in disbelief. My mind was still reeling. Grant went from hero to zero in a millisecond. All I could think was...

get the hell out of here!

Adam climbed aboard and smiled down at me, "Daddy's makin' pamcakes. You like pamcakes?"

It might have been cute had it not been such a shock. What should I say? What can I do? It certainly wasn't his fault Daddy was screwing an old friend. I stumbled for the right words and tone, "Hi Adam. Can you be a good boy and go help daddy, and can you shut the bedroom door on your way out?"

"Kay," he answered jubilantly and jumped off the bed. I watched his tiny legs scamper through the opened door. I called out, "Adam?? Aren't you forgetting something?"

"Oh yeah," he stopped and turned back. The small boy reached up to the doorknob and closed the door.

I've had to make many a hasty exit in my day as a single woman, but none were as urgent as this. I didn't have time to feel devastated. My clothes were nearby, all I needed was my footwear. I hoped my shoes were close enough to the door so I wouldn't have to drive home barefoot. Nothing is worse than having to come back for a forgotten piece of clothing from the night before.

I was dressed in record time, paused at the bedroom door, and took a deep breath to collect myself. I heard the front doorbell ring. Adam screamed, "Mommy's here!"

This is too much.

I charged out of the bedroom and watched where the toddler was heading. Grant stood in the kitchen, nonchalant in his boxers, frying pan in one hand, flipper in the other.

Grant saw my face, and called out, "What's wrong?"

Adam pulled the front door open right on cue. I burst through, brushing past a woman who was undoubtedly as surprised as I was.

"Gotta go," was all I could muster. I scampered across the yard and dug into my purse for the keys—unlocked the car, jumped in, and turned the ignition. My feet were freezing from the early morning dew. Oh shit—forgot the shoes! Oh well, sometimes sacrifices need to be made. My bare foot stomped on the accelerator. I sped off, holding back my tears.

***

Being cheated on is horrific. But there are worse things, like being the 'other woman'. Both destroy relationships, but the one that ruins families is a pariah. I could not be 'that woman.' I grew up in Quebec, surname Lefebvre, and like most French families grew up Catholic. I've since given up the faith simply because Christians are the worst sinners on earth. Preaching that God forgives all your sins is giving followers a free pass on adultery. Confession only slowed the process. It never stopped it. After two Hail-Mary's and a prayer, you'd be climbing back on the horse in no time—or the butcher's wife—or the mailman. There were more broken hearts than broken marriages in our family tree—divorce was never a possibility.

Sure, Grant called, but I ignored him. I felt sick for days and didn't report to work. Cecil eventually called, "Hi there. How are you?"

"Feeling better," I lied.

"Your CVIP is complete, let Madelaine know when you're ready to Grab the Wheel."

"Thank you. I'll be in tomorrow. Can you let her know?"

"No problem. Everyone misses you. The school called to see if you were ok."

Oh, I'm sure it was the school that rang and not Grant.

I was unsure if an apology from their gym teacher was going to be enough to undo the damage. Time to chalk one up to experience and let it go. It wasn't the first time a bomb had dropped on me and I doubt it would be the last.

Weeks went by. Cecil called me into his office. As I walked past reception Madelaine gave me a smile and a wink. It appeared she was happy with her job.

I chuckled and stepped into Cecil's office. He looked up with a sweet smile, "Hi Gen, thanks for coming in. Would you mind closing the door?"

"No problem," I closed it and took a seat.

"I've had a request come in. The Eastdale Eagles Basketball team qualified for Nationals next week...so before you say anything, please hear me out." Cecil took a deep breath and continued. "I spent years trying to secure all the school boards transportation needs long before you arrived on the scene. They are my biggest customer. So, when they say jump, I respond with 'how high?' You've been an outstanding driver Gen. The school has made a special request that you bus their team to Nationals."

I tried my best not to react. I think Cecil knew how I would respond and searched my face for a clue.

"I'd like to decline."

"I thought you might say that, and I do understand why," Cecil sighed and leaned back in his chair. It squeaked, reminding me of the first time I was in his office. We negotiated that day as well.

"Gen, I have a business to run. I have customers and employees that I do my utmost to keep happy. There is much at stake with this decision. I'm not sure I can phrase it in a way that could make it more palatable."

I could understand his position. It's business. I'd have to put on my 'big boy' pants.

"From what I understand there is some history between you and their coach Grant. If you can get past it then arrangements will be made for you to stay at a different hotel than the team during the tournament. I will pay you your time for the entire weekend and cover all your expenses."

Cecil was trying his best. It was a sincere offer and I did not want to let him down. I mulled it over briefly and reluctantly said, "OK. I'll do it. But, just this once."

***

Of course, Friday came without any fanfare. Grant and his team boarded the bus and we began the long journey to Montreal where the tournament was held. Grant sat far enough away to not engage in any meaningful conversation but close enough we could see one another in the mirrors. I was given a comfortable, luxurious coach bus with big bucket seats to drive. Unfortunately, it was not equipped with a bathroom. After three hours we stopped for a pee-break and coffee.

I made sure everyone was off, secured the bus, then entered the coffee shop. There was a long lineup of boys for the bathroom so I knew we would be here for a while. I placed my order and when I offered to pay the woman said, "It's been taken care of miss." Let me guess.

I found a seat and pulled out the trashy novel I'd been reading. It was likely the only excitement I'd get this weekend. A gentle voice from behind me asked, "Is this seat taken?"

It was Grant. I looked around at the limited seating, "It's all yours—and thank you for the coffee."

"It's the least I can do. To quote Jim Steinman, you left 'like a bat out of hell' from the last coffee I made you."

I lowered my eyes and continued with my novel. I think my silence sent the right message. Grant looked uncomfortable. He raised his mug, "And thank you for driving us today. The boys noticed you cheering us on from the sidelines during the qualifiers. They expressly asked for you."

Grant cleared his throat, "So...while I have your attention I'd like to set the record straight."

Oh no, here it comes.

"I really care about you."

I closed my book and gently set it to the side. I kept my head lowered, trying my best to listen and not react. His voice was calm and soothing. I didn't want to embarrass him or least of all, make a scene. I needed to get closure. I think he did too. Eventually, I glanced up. His puppy dog eyes and sweet smile caused my injured heart strings to loosen.

Grant cheerfully continued on, "Edgar Allen Poe once wrote—'believe nothing you hear and only one half that you see.'"

Boy—full of quotes today.

"Just so you know, Janet and I have been divorced for over a year. We alternate weeks with Adam, who you met. When you called me that night, asking to come over, I had barely enough time to get Adam to bed and grab a shower before you showed up at my door. I wasn't expecting you at all, but I was happy you came. I wanted to tell you everything after we made love, but you rolled over and fell asleep.

Wow, he said—we made love.

"I called Janet the moment I woke up to come and get Adam so we could enjoy the rest of the weekend together. He was hungry and wanted pancakes. I should have known he'd climb into my bed like he always does. It must have been a shock."

"It was...and I panicked."

"I try to keep up the 'family' image for Adam's sake, whenever he's over at my place. That's why I keep the family photo next to my bed. I've not dated anyone seriously. I'm not sure how much he understands that his mother and I are not together but so-far-so-good. I'm sorry you had to run into her that way, but I asked her to come, she was there at my request."

This all made sense. I felt foolish. I'd blown it. But he had to hear me out. "I'm embarrassed that I overreacted. My first thought lying in your bed was... 'not again'. I've been put through the ringer before with men who don't value commitment. I was so hopeful at the beginning. Seeing you after all these years and then it all came crashing down the instant I saw your family photo. You need to understand what I saw scared me." I paused and looked in his eyes, hoping to find some understanding. "Can you see why I reacted the way I did? I'm sorry, truly sorry for ruining what was a wonderful day. I feel awful, not giving you the chance to explain. I ignored you. I disregarded your messages because I was hurt...and confused."

I could feel my emotions bubbling to the surface. The cafe suddenly felt warm and I needed air. I grabbed my novel and ran to the exit. Grant followed. The cool night air gave me a chill but soon Grant's arms were around me. I could feel my ears pulsing with each beat of my heart. There was relief mixed in with exhaustion. My world began to open up once again. I let go of the fear.

"I need a strong man in my life, Grant. Someone who won't walk away. Thank you for not letting me slip away. Thank you for not giving up." He didn't say a thing. He just held me. That was all I needed. I nuzzled his neck and pulled my body close to his. I could hear his breath and felt his heartbeat against my breasts. I raised my lips and kissed him, gently at first, then with each kiss more urgency and passion. I wanted him so badly, "Let's continue this in Montreal shall we?"

All I wanted to do was get to Montreal, curl up in bed with Grant and sleep.