Grieving Time Pt. 01

Story Info
Brian gets help to adjust after losing wife.
11.6k words
4.65
25k
36
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hope you enjoy the story.

=======

GRIEVING TIME

~~~~~~

#1

Brian was startled by Ashley, "Brian, you have been day dreaming for long enough. I will admit it though, Christina's butt and legs do look great in her yoga pants. Better even than her daughter," then she was quiet for a moment as though considering something, even her face frowned in concentration, "but then Faith is beautiful for an eighteen yer old. Perhaps Christina just has that edge of a mature woman. You know, that sexy worldly aura that a woman gains through experience."

He jumped as she pushed a finger into his side at waist level, then turned to face his sister with a surprised look, "Huh! I was not staring at anyone, and certainly not like that. I wouldn't embarrass her by doing that."

"I know that dear, but you were staring, in your own world, totally oblivious. I had hoped that you were ogling Christina. She really is beautiful and certainly wouldn't be embarrassed, or put out, by my wonderful little brother taking an interest in her obvious charms."

He glanced back at the woman in question and noticed what Ashley was talking about. The woman's legs and butt were magnificently contoured in tight yoga pants, giving him a tantalising view as she bent away from them looking for something in a box on the floor. Her legs were straight with feet separated enough to give her balance as she was leaning down. His quick glance took in the stretched material across her cheeks and the fantastic view of what was between them. The material was soft enough to conform to the shape of her crotch and up through the valley, making it obvious that any underwear was negligible or non-existent. Brian blushed even harder as the embarrassing implications of this passed through his mind. He took in the view of Faith beside her as she helped her mum retrieve items from the boxes to hang on the hooks. Her youth gave her an aura of exuberance and potential of who she would become with age. Like her mother she too had figure hugging workout wear showing her womanly charms. On her it was obvious she was wearing underwear as the thong strap showed above the waist of her exercise pants. This deepened Brian's blush even more to the amusement of his older sister. She loved teasing and embarrassing him his entire life.

It was Friday afternoon and the final preparations were being made for the grand opening tomorrow. Already some people had been looking through the windows, so hopefully they would at least come back after they opened. Ashley, Veronica and Christina had met, and become best friends, when their daughters started kindergarten. Life changed things over the years as their daughters went through school together as friends to each other, but not as close as their mothers. Ashley was the only one still married, Veronica's husband, Justin, died about 10 years ago then Christina divorced Simon around five years ago. Ashley's husband, Martin, was rarely with his family as he seemed to prefer his work to a home life. She had confessed to Brian one day when they were having a serious discussion, that this is probably why their marriage had lasted. In Brian's opinion Martin was a fool, but knew his opinion mattered little. His sister seemed happy enough with the status quo, so who was he to worry.

Brian really loved his much older sister. Nine years difference meant she had mothered him his whole life. In every stage of his growing she had been there to help him with advice, a helping hand or just a loving hug. Even during those embarrassing stages of life we all prefer to forget, she was there for him. It didn't matter if it was puberty pains, first love followed by the inevitable split up or life's highs and lows. She would celebrate or support him through it all. When he married the love of his life, Jennifer, she was there as his side as his best woman. She even took him out and they got roaring drunk for his bachelor party. That was five years ago.

Almost three years ago Ashley again was there to support her brother through the lowest period in his life. Jennifer didn't feel well for a few days with headaches, and she went to their family doctor who referred her to a specialist. This was followed by hospital visits for tests and the diagnosis was confirmed: malignant, untreatable and aggressive. In less than three months Brian was alone and Ashley was there by his side to provide what support she could. Making matters harder to bear was learning that Jennifer was pregnant and they lost that life as well. During this time his niece helped her mother in supporting him as well. Diana may only have been about fifteen at the time but she had her mother's empathetic nature and would be there to help him whenever possible.

His niece knew her uncle really well, better than she did her own father. During her life Brian had attended all of her school, sports and other functions that he could get to. Even after he married he would be there with his wife beside him cheering the girl on. Something her own father was all too prepared to miss as his work always came first. Even during his grief as a recent widower and losing his chance at fatherhood, Brian still appeared at everything for his niece, and for his sister. They had become his lifeline to sanity. Through the years of being in Ashley and Diana's lives he had also gotten to know Veronica, Christina and their daughters Emily and Faith. They regarded him as an integral part of their lives, and like extended family.

+++

Helping with the setting up of the shop was just another example of him being of assistance. Brian had taken time off his work this week to be the gopher for his sister. They made use of his muscles, extra physical height and his utility vehicle. He never complained regardless of the job asked of him. The three women had been discussing various things the previous night after Brian had left when they strayed onto the topic of him.

Christina asked Ashley, "How's Brian coping without Jennifer? I know he was devastated, but after this time I'd have hoped he was further along in his recovery."

In response, Ashley sighed before speaking, "I know he's still finding it difficult, and he does seem to be taking a long time to get back to living. He was very much in love with her, they both were just so deep into each other. I think he felt like he lost half of himself when she went, especially after he was told of the added loss."

Veronica nodded as she added, "And so hard to think she was pregnant at the time. I don't know how I would have taken it had it happened to me. Emily means everything to me. It was hard enough when my Justin died leaving me and our eight year old daughter. Losing her as well would have killed me."

Christina and Ashley both felt sad thinking how their friend had lost her husband about ten years ago. They recalled that it took her a long time to recover from the loss as well. Christina reached out to touch her friend on the arm in a supportive gesture. All three remained silent for a couple of minutes as they dwelt on their thoughts.

Ashley spoke first, "It was a hard time for you Ronnie. I just wish there was something I could do to make Brian return to his old happier self. I realise you can't get back what was lost and should never forget, but he is still young with so much life to come."

They made sounds of agreement before returning to business discussions and planning for the opening the day after tomorrow. Christina tended to be the organiser and made up a task list for the next day before they tidied the place, locked up and left for the day.

#2

Friday ended up being a frantic day that got worse as time went on. They did eventually get everything ready earlier than expected with the invaluable aid of their daughters and Brian. They locked up and went to a cafe for a drink. Waiting for their orders to be delivered to the table Brian went off to the toilet leaving the other six.

Christina looked at the three daughters and thanked them, "On behalf of us three mums, I just want to thank you three daughters for being here this week. I don't know if we would have gotten it all done as well as we have without you being here. I know you had other things you would have preferred to be doing instead of hanging with us old biddies working you like slaves."

Ashley and Veronica added their agreement to her words as the three girls thanked her, with Faith speaking up, "We loved helping out this week. It has actually been fun. We got to hang out at the mall all day every day. What could be better than that!"

They all chuckled at her response as Ashley's daughter, Diana, spoke, "I think Uncle Brian deserves more praise than us. I know he is your brother mum, but he is always here for us," getting nods from the others as she continued, "I just wish he could be like his old self. He seems so lonely now without Aunt Jenny. She was so lovely, but he lost all his spark when she died. Isn't there something we can do to give him back some spark in his life?"

The six women sat quietly until Emily, with a smirk, posed a thought, "Surely all he needs is a new woman in his life. At least a little bit of nookie to get his spark going. Like, you know, get laid."

Veronica gently admonished her daughter, although she was laughing along with the others at her comment, "Em, what a thing to say. I should wash your mouth out with soap for even knowing about such things," bringing about another round of laughter at the table. As the laughter quietened Ashley had a thoughtful look on her face.

Brian returned just as they were becoming silent and inquired, "What's up, did I miss something?" but only got more laughter in response, so he sat looking confused, shaking his head at them. He eventually shrugged his shoulders, aware that no explanation was forthcoming.

It was all soon forgotten as they chatted over drinks about the shop's grand opening the next morning. The three best friends were nervous, their daughters and Brian confident they would succeed.

#3

It was a very busy day at the shop with many people having a look at what was on offer. Ashley was glad their daughters and her brother were there to help. Whilst the three women could offer assistance to the shoppers, they were free of manning the cash register and re-stocking the shelves. Brian set himself at the door hoping he would be taken as some sort of security and keep anyone from trying to steal anything. He had no authority and could do little to nothing, but hoped his presence was enough. He also greeted everyone with a smile and welcome, noticing how often he got a smile and greeting returned. Ashley had a giggle sometimes as a woman would mention the polite, handsome man at the door. One woman even mention that she wished she could take him home to decorate her bed instead of the cushions she was buying. Ashley was too busy to do anything but laugh at the suggestion, but later on in a quieter moment she would think about it and the comment made by Emily yesterday. She didn't have long to dwell on it and was soon back to serving customers.

The day did eventually end and Ashley invited Brian back to her place for dinner, although it was to be just take out from the local Chinese restaurant. The seven were too tired from a very hectic day to stay any longer and all just wanted to get home and put their feet up. Tomorrow was another shopping day and they would be at it again.

Brian arrived a little later at his sister's house after picking up the meal on the way. Entering he heard loud noises from the kitchen as plates, bowls and cutlery were being set down heavily on the counter top.

Diana had opened the front door for her uncle and whispered a warning, "Sorry Uncle Brian, mum's a little mad. Dad left a note that he would be out with his mates tonight to watch a football game. For that matter I'm peeved at him too, I know she was looking forward to talking tonight about her day."

Brian whispered back, "Okay Di, thanks. I'll tread carefully."

As he followed his niece to the kitchen he thought back to the day and realised he had not seen his brother in law at all. Thinking to himself, "No wonder she's cross and hurt. I'd be totally pissed too. He can be a real dickhead sometimes. No, correction, he is a dickhead most of the time. I don't think any of our family liked him from the start, but Ashley saw something in him. Enough to marry him anyway. Wonder what it was."

Walking into the kitchen it was obvious Ashley was keeping her emotions in check, or at least her facial features as she tried to not display how hurt she was feeling. Diana took the bag of food from Brian and began placing the various containers in the centre of the table. They always shared all the dishes when eating Asian food, serving themselves a bit of each dish. Brian grabbed some of the plates and bowls off the counter to set them out as well. Ashley was pouring a wine, when the bottle slipped and pushed a glass over spilling its contents. Brian happened to be facing her at the time and quickly grabbed the glass and bottle as she burst into tears. Putting things down he stepped to beside her and wrapped his arms around her, holding her so she cried into his chest. Diana watched with eyes open wide and grabbed the rest of the dinner things and put them on the table. Not knowing what else to do she went to be beside her mother and gently held her as well. It took a minute but Ashley did compose herself, mumbled an apology for her behaviour and shooed them to the table to begin eating.

"Sorry guys, I think I'm just overtired from today after such a busy week. I don't normally let things get on top of me like this. I had hoped he might. Just for once," she shrugged and paused for a few seconds, "Never mind. It's my problem, not yours. Let's eat this yummy food before it gets cold."

Diana and Brian looked at each other with raise eyebrows, and Diana quietly mouthed, "Later," when Ashley wasn't looking.

He spoke up, "No worries sis', it smells good."

Picking up his glass of wine that Diana had finished pouring, and got the two women to do the same, he proposed a toast, "Here's to a successful day, the first of many at your shop," They clinked glasses and drank together. It got a small smile from Ashley which was his purpose.

The best things about Chinese take-away meal is there are always leftovers for the next day, clean up is quick and easy. Washing the dishes took just a couple of minutes for Brian and Diana while Ashley resealed the containers and placed them in the fridge, then wiped down the table surface.

Brian settled onto the lounge suite, soon followed by Diana as Ashley made them coffees. Having a minute together he whispered to his niece to ask what was wrong. He had taken the middle of the three seater with Diana to his left. As was there custom she leaned into him as he put an arm around her shoulders. This also let her speak to him quietly without her mother overhearing.

"Oh, it's just dad. He isn't home much any more and I think mum is really peeved at him. I don't have to tell you that he never was that much involved with us as you were at most of my things over the years. But lately he doesn't even come home after work until late. I could probably count on my fingers how many times he was here for dinner over the last few months. Mum has been really sad for a long time, but will never say anything. I tried talking to her once and she brushed me off, then made me promise not to blab about their problems to anyone. I think she meant you, so please don't tell I said anything," to which Brian agreed with a nod, "But I had to say something to you as you saw what she was like tonight. It's not the first time I have heard her crying, but it was the first time she did it where anyone could see."

"Thanks, I hadn't guessed it was quite this bad. I knew they weren't as good as they should be. I promise not to rat you out," and he gave her a little peck on the top of her head as she thanked him.

Ashley arrived with a tray of drinks and some after dinner treats, and taking the spot to Brian's right she turned on the TV for whatever movie was currently showing. By the time that finished they had all settled back with Brian being the meat in the sandwich and an arm around each woman. Ashley had even fallen asleep as her gentle snoring attested. It wasn't late but Brian disturbed their rest and left to go home. He got a big hug from his sister at the front door before leaving. She expressed her appreciation for all of his help.

Sunday proved to be a busy day although less so than the Saturday with most customers window shopping only. It gave Ashley a chance to talk to Christina and Veronica about her brother.

"After we talked about Brian I'm really worried that he hasn't started having a social life of his own. I love having him around, but he should be getting out and about, not just with Diana and me. Emily said something the other day that got me thinking. I was thinking that I should start pushing Brian to date someone, if only to just talk with a woman. I considered setting him up with someone but I don't really know anyone close to his age. My hope is maybe you two might have a single acquaintance who would be willing to go on a blind date?"

Christina was first to respond, "I can't think of anyone off the top of my head, but for you I will think about it."

Veronica nodded her head as she answered, "Same with me. Are you certain he's ready to get back in the saddle? Men can be rather stubborn if they think they are being pushed into anything."

Ashley was quick to answer, "I can't be totally sure. As his sister I know him fairly well and he's obviously not the type to do it on his own. he'd be doing it if he was. With a little shove in the right direction I know he'll take it from there. He just needs to be shown that he should have a woman in his life and that Jennifer wanted him to keep living a normal life. She confided to me that she had pushed Brian to agree to find someone else after she was gone, and not just mope around for the rest of his life. Jenny understood he would be hesitant and see dating as cheating on her memory. She asked me to make sure he did not live the rest of his life alone."

The three women had not noticed Emily join them until she spoke, "Well mum and friends, there is really only one thing that can be done. One of us must take one for the team."

Her mother looked at her in shock, "Ah Emily what do you mean by us? You are too young to be taking anything for any team."

The other two women and Emily laughed at her statement as Emily responded, "Oh mum, I'm eighteen not eight. But, just for the record, he is a hunk of a guy. I actually meant one of you two should do the honours. You might be old and a bit past it," to the grins of the women, "but I'm sure you could hobble out for a meal or two just to get him out and about. Of course, it would have to be a restaurant that serves soft foods for the elderly."

Once the laughter died down Veronica made a mock glare at her daughter and stated, "For the record I am not that old, and could still take one for the team if I wanted to. And dear daughter, for your information, I can still eat a chunk of meat."

Emily giggled and retorted, "Way to go mum!" causing them all to chuckle.

A moment later she amended her last statement, 'I meant I could eat steak, not the other type of meat," then after a sigh and a dreamy look, "Oh its been so long since I had a nice lump of meat."

Emily's remarks got the three women thinking about Brian, his situation, and how they could more directly help him recover. There were some knowing looks between them as they separated by unspoken mutual consent to return to work, each with their own thoughts about Brian. Ashley was considering which one of her friends could just go out to dinner with her brother. Veronica, 37 years old, thinking that Brian was a bit too much younger than herself, but he was fairly good looking. Christina considered at 40 years old, she was be too old to even consider going to dinner with Brian, but there was a certain appeal to it.