Hammer and Feather Ch. 41-51

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I support Syreilla." Mabor lifted his hands in placation.

"Those who do may yet survive." Ahevhethrah's draconic smile was somehow unnerving. "If you do not keep to your bargain, Isca. You'll regret it. Ezphine has the right to come here, you will allow her to do so. You, however, are not welcome in my home. Leave."

"You gave it-"

"Leave," Zyulla spoke firmly. "It was our home, his and mine. It still is. We both command you to leave."

"You dare command-"

Cyran willed a door to open beneath Isca's feet and she dropped out of sight with a shocked and furious look on her face. Ahevhethrah grinned at him.

"You did not think of a place, only the door, dear one. I directed her back to the black pit she imprisoned your uncle in."

"Odos?" Zyulla stepped forward with a frightened look on her face.

"Is free. Syreilla freed him. I'm pleased that young Cyran has also learned to use the doors."

"She taught me."

"It can be taught?" One of the younger gods, Methar, the son of Mabor if he remembered correctly, looked at him hopefully.

"Syreilla the Rook is an excellent teacher."

"Her father gifted her an education and the luck to survive it." Ahevhethrah laughed quietly and shook his head. "I thought it a poor gift. It may be more valuable than that which I gave her."

"If you had given our children stones perhaps they would have grown so impressive." Silfeya gestured at one of the minor goddesses.

"Stones given too young can cause more harm than benefit. Young Cyran should not have had a stone, that was my mistake. He has grown into it, not because of the stone but because he continued to strive and grow. Your children choose to linger in your shadows. When they prove themselves as Cyran and Syreilla have, they will have stones. I have not yet given stones to Syvezar and Vedhethrah; they are strong but they have not yet come into themselves enough to warrant it."

"Syvezar and Vedhethrah?" Zyulla moved to his side and he took her offered hand with a warm smile.

"When Syreilla returned she embraced both halves of her husband and helped them to untangle themselves. They chose new names and they are coming into themselves. Syvezar is the god of purification and rebirth. Vedhethrah is the god of punishment and pain. They are both aiding her." He gave Cyran an amused look, "My grandson may become an elven god of healing and mediation as well. I am proud of the work you have done."

"I couldn't look on their suffering and do nothing. Were you watching when they asked Syreilla for her help? She gave most of the offering to the children."

His smile became doting. "I saw. The dichotomy she embraces is impressive. As gentle as she is with innocents, she is pure viciousness with those who have earned vengeance."

Zyulla sighed, closing her eyes with a growing smile

"You would let her kill us." Silfeya gave him a grimly measuring look.

"You would have the huntress supplant me. Syreilla the Rook loved Atos and was loyal to Hevtos, now that both have become one, she serves me still. She is my Golden Rook and she is wholly untethered for the moment." The draconic smile graced his face again. "I would prefer not to replace you but I will trust my Rook's judgment."

"Will you tether her after this whole matter has been put to rest?" Mabor folded his arms. "She makes me nervous."

"I will tether her with rules when this matter has been ended, as we all once chose to tether ourselves, but she is the Golden Rook. I cannot prevent her from delivering vengeance as she is asked to do and she has worshippers among all of the races. She will roam among men, elves, and dwarves as she sees fit."

Silfeya nodded with an almost relieved look on her face. "That will keep her busy. She won't have time to stir up trouble for her own amusement the way her father does."

"Two husbands who quarrel over her may also keep her busy," Ahevhethrah added with a note of amusement. "The curse of covetousness could be lifted from my sons, but not from Vezar Edra. He was born to it."

"I miss my sons." Zyulla let him embrace her. "I want to see them."

"You are free to go to them. Syreilla made the bargain. All of the huntress' captives were to be freed, though the gods may only go between this home and the underworld if the huntress keeps her end of the bargain."

"What did she give up?"

"She'll allow the priests of the huntress to withdraw, her words were, 'No matter what they've done, if they withdraw entirely, they'll be spared.' As long as they don't join the fight the huntress' priests are safe from Syreilla and those who serve her. None of her elves will put arrows in their necks, no one of Clan Palestrike will put axes-"

"They have to forsake the huntress? And she agreed?" Silfeya gave him a dubious look.

"No. Syreilla was clear," Cyran spoke up, "they don't need to forsake her, they may return and help with the wounded once the battle has finished. But the huntress wanted her priests to be safe from Syreilla. To gain that she freed the captives but if her priests leave the field Syreilla's must as well."

Ahevhethrah chuckled and nodded. "She didn't want to take it but Syreilla is persuasive. The offer was as much a threat to the priests as a reprieve. If it had not been accepted she would have made the offer to allow them to defect before each battle."

"You could feel that they considered it." Cyran smiled faintly. "She has Uncle Odos' way with words."

"Let me prepare a chamber for you, Cyran." Ahevhethrah beamed at him. "I will put you next to Syreilla's chamber."

"I've been using it as a place for solace." Zyulla smiled and gestured for him to walk with them.

"The indoor garden?" Methar asked curiously, "That is Syreilla's chamber?"

"She would enjoy that. Syreilla has an elf's love of gardens but I would hesitate to say such a thing to her." Cyran fell into step with his grandparents and a few of the others trailed behind.

"She may become less sensitive of her parentage." Zyulla ran a hand down his arm. "The elves will treat her with kindness now."

He glanced behind at Methar who walked next to Byrus, the son of Silfeya, and Eludora walking with her daughter, Aelia. "You spoke of Ezphine? I don't think I've met her. Who is she?"

*Forty-four*

Syreilla was trying not to get too cocky but it was going so well, she didn't think she could help herself, grinning after her husband. Odos couldn't have planned it better.

She called out to Vedhethrah, "No roaring! We want them to think you've left, beloved!" Syr broke into delighted laughter as he grinned toothily and began hunting the humans on foot, deliberately missing one who seemed well hidden in a tangle of branches and shrubs beneath a tree.

He'd peeked at her threads and seen the plan. She could feel it pleased him, pouncing on the scouts and ripping them apart delighted him and he felt proud being able to keep her safe and aid in her plans.

"Why?" Likras frowned.

"I want them to attack quickly while my dragon and I are still here. If they see him and wait until they have weapons to deal with him or they wait until I leave, we leave the dwarves nearly helpless. Laying wards behind us makes them think we don't want them to come, so they come quickly." She spoke loudly to be heard over the shrieks in the relatively near distance and the pleased sounds coming from her dragon.

He looked baffled and she shook her head, "It's the kind of logic I learned from my father. You want someone to do something you tell them that it's not for them and they don't want to do that. You want someone to balk and hesitate, tell them that they have to do something, rub them the wrong way by pressing them. People are strange creatures."

She saw his glance at the man in the bush and laid a hand on his feather-marked arm. Syr sent a glimpse of the plan, to make them think she wanted them to advance so that they would hang back. It was perhaps a little convoluted but Odos would have enjoyed it. Likras tilted his head, a faint smile crossing his face.

"I think perhaps you underestimate them. Humans aren't as bad as you think, my Lady." He lifted his voice as well.

"I'm half-human, or I was when I was mortal. They're bad enough." She gave him a wry smile and dropped her voice a little as the sounds came to an abrupt end. "I'm sure about this, Likras. We want them to attack so we need to keep Vedhethrah out of the sky and lay just enough wards to make it seem like we don't want them to attack us."

Turning her attention back to her dragon sharply as she felt power being released, Syreilla gave the gleeful dragon an exasperated look. "You're undoing our work!"

"He can walk through them unharmed?" Likras took a step back.

"The wards that can harm mortals might sting a little for a god but they can't actually harm us. With his dragon's hide, I doubt he even feels it."

Vedhethrah laughed a low deep laugh and changed back to his more human form. "The wards break on my scales like water, my treasure. I hope they attack soon and they send their mages to the front. I enjoyed ripping them to shreds."

Likras paled and Syr grinned, reaching out to pat the man on the shoulder. "You're one of mine. You're safe. And to be fair my husband enjoys ripping almost everyone apart. He's the god of pain and punishment. Rending flesh is one of his hobbies."

She tried not to laugh as her husband purred and pulled her into an urgent kiss, running his hands over everywhere he could reach.

"I thought you were laying wards not playing hide the dragon's tongue."

The teasing shout from behind made her husband growl and Syreilla broke into laughter.

"We were but my beloved missed me and I can't bring myself to turn down his kisses."

"Syvezar said you had a plan?"

"I do. I want them to attack."

Orefinder sputtered and she lifted her hand looking him in the eye. He blinked and then huffed, "We have women and children with us."

"Yes, but you also have me and my dragon. We've killed the scouts. I'm keeping him out of the sky and we'll lay enough wards that they think we don't want them to attack. That should bring them in before we have to leave.

"I can let dragon's fire run wild in their ranks and my dragon can bring death from above. You won't even need to stop to help."

"How soon do you need to leave?" He frowned. "We can reach Durnach's Strike in a day, maybe a day and a half, I'd rather you didn't go before then. We can send the women and children into the mine there and try to meet up with whatever reinforcements are being sent from Bhiraldur the next day."

"I may be able to stay for a day, a day and a half would be pushing it but I'll try. I need to get back to the elves. They need Vedhethrah too and they don't have mines to get down into. The huntress herself has been giving those soldiers aid."

"I understand." Orefinder gave a curt nod and then frowned at the branches and shrubs the last scout was hiding in. "Something is moving over there, Lady Rook."

"Did we miss one? Ved-"

"I'll go see, Lady Rook!" Likras jogged over and hissed something at the greenery as he moved his hands, a faint tingle of magic could be felt and the movement stopped. He murmured something else and then jogged back.

"What did you say to him?" Syr put a little bit of disapproval in her voice.

"I cursed him for a fool, Lady. I serve you, but... it wasn't long ago I was on their side. I apologized to him."

Vedhetherah growled in warning but she could tell his heart wasn't in it. The mage in front of her, however, couldn't. The man opened his mouth to confess the truth and she held up her hand.

"Mages aren't known for loyalty. As long as you remember who is currently paying you I don't mind if you apologize before you kill them." She gave him a faint smile and he dipped into a bow with a relieved expression. "Let's get a few more wards down. I want this to be convincing."

"We can help you more when you tell us what you intend." Orefinder gave her a look of amused annoyance.

"I can do that. By the way, what sort of supplies do you have on hand? I need a few things for my kit. Oduil might remember what his mother used to keep on hand. I need all of it."

"I'll see what I can find." He gave her a speculative look. "Finish your wards and come find me."

*Forty-five*

Dressed and with a kit of every tool she knew how to use, Nali paced next to the wagons that were being loaded. Walp had taken up a perch on one nearby and was watching curiously.

"What is taking them so long, Walp? We need to go!"

"Soldiers take a little longer to dress than you do." Khadom teased with a bag in his hand. "You didn't even remember to pack food for your bird."

"Oh!" Nali flushed and gave Walp an apologetic look. "I would have made sure she had something to eat. I always fed Baduil-"

"He ate things I've never fed my birds." Khadom smiled and shook his head, "You'll need to make sure she has water and you need to give her food at least twice a day. She likes meat, fresh meat, and fruits."

"Baduil was fond of sausage. That was mostly what he ate. Sometimes some stone bread." Nali winced, wondering if she'd been feeding him poorly.

"How he lived that long on a diet like that..." The old dwarf shook his head again. "This bird won't. You need to look after her properly."

"I'll do my best." She took the bag and looked in it, Walp hopped onto her shoulder peering in too.

"Rabbit chunks, a leg, and some entrails," Khadom started to explain about the well-wrapped packages inside. "Keep it out of the sun and that should last a couple of days. Have the men find her something when you stop. There are a few apples you need to cut up for her and a couple of plums. She won't overeat, whatever she doesn't want, pack back up for the next day."

"I can do that." Frowning, she glanced at the wagon. "I need a bowl or a basin for her water."

"Instead of pacing, you can go get one." A sour dwarf suggested as he loaded more into another wagon.

Khadom laughed and took the bag back, offering his arm to the raven. "I'll stay with Walp while you-"

"Walp!" The bird sounded annoyed.

"I think she's supposed to stay with me." Nali stroked the bird's chest. "Baduil used to look after me, I think Lady Rook worries about me."

The raven adjusted a few strands of her hair and Nali laughed. "I know she worries about me." Taking the bag she carefully put it over her shoulder trying not to disturb the raven's perch. "Let's go find a basin."

The old dwarf walked with her. "Why didn't you ever bring Baduil up to socialize with the rest of the birds?"

"I never thought about it. He's Lady Rook's raven and he's..."

Walp bobbed on her shoulder and Nali stopped before she got to the end of the line of wagons. "I'm not supposed to leave the wagons."

Khadom looked at her oddly. "Why?"

"I don't know but Walp is sure and when she says so I can feel it."

He eyed the bird with surprise. "I need to meet Lady Rook if she's taking my ravens."

"She isn't taking them, she likes to borrow things without asking." Sirruil laughed as he came to join them carrying a basin. "I spoke with Hemar Ashbeard. Master Orefinder had a word with him. Lady Rook is going to be nesting with your birds and bringing her dragon.

"Nali and I are to ride out ahead with her banner and some of the others to get the area around Durnach's Strike ready. The rest will follow and meet us."

"We should have already left!" Nali took the basin and shooed him, "Let's go!"

"Let me get the banner and we'll be on our way." He grinned and trotted past her. "You're as impatient as Lady Rook!"

"Borrowing things without asking is stealing." Khadom folded his arms and gave Sirruil's retreating back a sour look.

"Only if you don't give it back." Nali gave him a rueful smile. "That was what she told Orsas Fellforger. If you don't ask permission, no one can tell you 'no'."

The old dwarf gave her an incredulous look and then shook his head breaking into a smile. "There used to be a priest who would come up and sit with my father and I would listen to them talk. He'd been around humans at his mine, there was a town near it for trade, and he would talk about them and the Freeholds. One of them once told him it was better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission."

"I don't think she asks for forgiveness either." Nali frowned, thinking carefully, and the bird on her shoulder made a sound almost like laughter.

"They used to say that Orsas could see what the ravens saw." Khadom eyed the bird oddly. "I think now they'll say it of Lady Rook."

The thought tickled her mind like a whisper too close to the ear and she smiled, "I think they'll say it of both because both are true. They get along well and she makes him laugh."

"Walp." The raven sounded somehow pleased and it adjusted her hair again.

Khadom looked baffled but before he could say or ask more Sirruil came back with the slim box they'd put Lady Rook's banner in.

"Let's be on our way, Nali."

Things happened in a flurry. The small sturdy horses that they kept for the caravan guards were readied and they were on their way with the quick, smooth gait the animals had been bred for. Walp flew ahead, doing lazy circles now and then to be certain they were where they were meant to be and not lagging too far behind. She rode at the front, too intent on the road ahead to pay much attention to the dwarves behind her.

"Nali?" Sirruil caught up to her and rode alongside. "It's time to stop and make camp. The-"

"We left late. We need to make up the time."

"Nali-"

"Tell your girl to-"

She turned her horse and faced them with a scowl. "We left late. If we don't make up the time now we won't be where we need to be at the right time. Do you want your laziness to be the reason women and children die? Tuck your beards into your aprons, there's work to be done."

Sullenly, they looked to her father for direction. He took out the Eye and put it on. Looking around, he nodded. "She's right, the path ahead is lit and it pulses the way it does when something is urgent. We need to pick up the pace and we can't stop yet."

They looked ahead and one frowned, "Where did that raven go?"

"Walp..." Nali felt her heart leap to her throat and she turned, putting her heels to the horse. "Father!"

He was already catching up and pointing the way as the others cursed and muttered picking up their pace. The path took them down a narrow dirt track that led up a hill and to the top of a stony outcropping. The moment they reached it Nali understood why. There was a small force in their way that could be seen from the top.

Sirruil hissed at the other dwarves to be silent and they understood immediately. Walp flew to her shoulder from a tree and she nodded. There was a way around but they couldn't be quiet enough and it wouldn't be good to leave these men here for the others to encounter.

"Do any of you know the dangerous wards?"

"A few of us." One answered grimly.

"Good. You come with me. We can't leave them in the way. Be quick, be quiet, don't leave them alive." Nali turned her eyes back from the camp to the stunned expressions on all of the dwarves' faces.

"That sounds like Lady Rook." Sirruil shivered and then nodded. "There is a reason you should be polite to her priestess, and polite to her."