Hammer and Feather Ch. 41-51

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I do. I was going to have him talk to Ellother-"

"Let that girl rest and heal. She'll come with us and be looked after. I can take him to a mine close enough to get to where he needs to be. The town near it should have people going to the city. The mine itself had to be closed up."

"She wouldn't leave them be?" Syreilla gave Orefinder a sharp look that promised fire if that were the case.

"Sometimes they get mined out and die, Syreilla." The dwarf grinned. "The ground there was riddled with caves and like Half Shaft it became more trouble than it was worth. I can still get in though."

"Be careful with my brother. He has to live long enough for me to get him back for that 'elvish' crack he made."

Orefinder chuckled, "You're imitating your father but he's better at hiding his feelings than you are. You'd gut me like a fish with your talons if the elf fell down a shaft. He'll make it out safely and in good condition, you have my word. I'll tell him what I know about the town too, because I like the boy."

"Thank you, Orefinder. It's appreciated." Syreilla smiled warmly at the dwarf and Syvezar took her hand.

"We need to go. I think..."

"We've been asked to visit Bone White on our way." She made a rueful face. "He's heard that Grandfather untethered me completely and he has some concerns."

The dwarf barked a laugh, "Completely? Orsas may want to have a word with you as well."

"It makes no sense to tie my hands when hers aren't."

"The rules stand for a reason." Orefinder chuckled again. "I'll let Orsas think it over and discuss it with you. You can do enough within the rules, Syreilla."

The sour look she leveled at the dwarf made Vedhethrah smile. "Come to me, my treasure. I would have a kiss before you go."

Syreilla stepped closer once again and offered him a hungry kiss. He deepened it eagerly, holding her tightly as he sent his thoughts over her threads and made certain she knew he did not want to release her. After a long moment, he broke the kiss and allowed her to kiss his neck, keeping her pulled close. Her mind was already turning to the tasks at hand, he could feel it.

"Remember what I told you about-"

"I will remember." Reluctantly he released her and she stole a brief kiss, a mere brushing of her lips against those of the human form he was wearing.

She took Syvezar's hand and Orefinder cleared his throat, "Open the door as you walk among the others. It looks to any watching eyes as if you're just mingling with them."

"I remember that Trueshield did that." Syreilla nodded with a faint smile. "Thank you for the advice."

He watched as they vanished among a small group of walking elves.

"She needs to practice to make it look flawless." Orefinder shook his head with a smile. "Let's get them to the field."

"Will the preparations be enough?"

"I believe so. What do you need to remember?"

"There was a bargain struck with the huntress. Whenever Syreilla's priests are on the field the offer must be made to allow the enemy's priests to withdraw without harm. The bargain was that if they do so Syreilla's will leave the field as well and none of her elves will put arrows in their throats, none of Clan Palestrike will put axes in their bellies, her mages won't-"

The dwarf broke into bellowing laughter. "That woman is a fool for making a bargain with her!"

Vedhethrah grinned toothily, "Wording is important with my treasure. She keeps her word but you should pay attention to what she promised."

"Her priestess is a child, the elves she was given were all children-"

"No." He interrupted with a sly glance, "Some were crows."

Orefinder broke into laughter again but when he calmed himself, he looked thoughtful, "Clan Palestrike has died out but taking her mages off the field would be a disadvantage."

"They have only the power lent to them until she can free it as it once was."

The dwarf gave him an unpleasant smile. "Taking them off the field before they run out of power preserves the impression that they're deadly and saves what they have left to use later. I may offer to teach her to play Bones and Shadows if her father didn't teach her. She has the mind for it."

"Bones? And shadows?" Vedhethrah frowned at the dwarf, uncertain if he liked the sound of the game.

"It's the dwarven version of Telior. Our board is bigger and the rules are different."

"Ah!" He nodded in understanding. "The pieces are white and black as in Telior. Bones and Shadows. My treasure enjoys games but like her father, she cheats for sport."

The laughter that came from the dwarf was so loud that heads turned. Kwes came over to them with a baffled smile.

"Is Syreilla still-"

"She's gone. I'll be taking you part of the way after we get them to where they need to go."

"What work did she do last night?"

"She had her dragon dig out some trenches, move some stone, and then she laid wards. If they take the bait and send their priests off of the field then they'll be blundering into them blindly and facing my priests without any help." Orefinder grinned and it looked startlingly malicious. "She should have thought twice before making a bargain with that girl."

"I think she underestimated my sister." Kwes grinned and for a moment looked very much like Syreilla. "Aren't gods supposed to be smarter than that?"

The dwarf laughed again and sized the boy up with a look, "They should be and I suspect they will be after this is all over. You'll have to try to seem foolish to get the same advantage."

"I don't have any idea what you mean, Master Orefinder." The look on the man's face was one Vedhethrah recognized from his treasure, a veneer of perfect innocence that was a sure sign she was making mischief. "I'm just a half-elf who can't even do any magic."

He realized that both he and the dwarf were grinning at Kwes when the half-elf huffed and crossed his arms.

"I know that look from my Syreilla, Kwes." Vedhethrah laughed in his throat. "I know to doubt every word that comes out of your mouth when you put on that expression."

Orefinder's grin widened, "I know to doubt every word that comes out her mouth as a rule, her brother is just as bad as she is. I know why your father took two from that elf's line and he got more than he hoped for both times. When you see that father of yours, give him my compliments.

"Let's get moving and get into position before they find the courage to attack."

°°°°°°°°°°

They were still more than a mile from the fortifications when the cry went up that the humans were running at their rear flank. Orefinder gave him a sharp nod and Vedhethrah stripped out of his chain shirt changing as he ran toward the rear and took flight. Almost as soon as he was climbing into the sky the humans launched a spear with a siege weapon of some kind. It nearly struck his wing.

Circling above, he roared down his disapproval and then dove at the men menacing the dwarves. In the chaos, Orefinder was issuing commands to fall back that echoed as if they came from several points on the field. The dragon swept up a few soldiers on his pass and carried them back up, dropping them on top of the others. Taking up the cry amongst themselves, the human soldiers fell back and the dwarves put distance between themselves and the enemy. The dwarf-laden carts were being driven as quickly as they could be, loaded with the women and children as they were.

Vedhethrah followed, flying high in circles so that he could keep an eye on them and swoop down if he needed to. That was when he caught sight of the pale banner raised and coming to meet the dwarves running for the safety of the fortifications. Once the dwarves had managed to get through the way that had been left open, he dove down and closed it, moving the massive rock up and into place as if he were closing a drawbridge. Satisfied it was firmly in place he climbed atop and made his way toward the advancing blue banner that was nearly upon them.

He resumed the more human shape among the dwarves and Likras rushed up to him thrusting the chain shirt at him.

"For your modesty, my Lord."

With a snort, Vedhethrah paused and put it on. "This is for your sensibilities, not mine."

"And we thank you for your indulgence, Lord Vedhethrah." Oduil trotted up to them with Syreilla's grin gracing his face. "Did you see the banner?"

"Yes, I need to see it more closely."

Dwarves came riding toward them, Nali at the front with a proud, grim expression on her face and the pole holding the banner braced against her saddle.

A dwarf that looked a great deal like Oduil rode next to her with a familiar circlet on his head. It should have looked out of place on the dwarf but somehow the delicate piece suited him.

They came toward him and stopped.

"Lord Vedhethrah." Nali smiled as she inclined her head. "Where is Lady Rook? I got here as quickly as I could."

"She had only a short time here. Lady Rook had to return to the elves and give her aid."

The child's face fell and he blinked, stepping forward to take the banner as it dipped slightly.

"I took too long." Her eyes teared up and the dragon pulled the banner to hand to Likras.

He pulled her down from her nervous horse and held her like a babe for a moment. "She is proud, little Nali. You are not late."

Nali turned a baffled expression on him and he gently placed her on her feet.

"But she isn't here."

"She had to leave in the light of the false dawn. I was given careful instructions to aid you when you arrived. She wanted to see you but it was not possible. I am tending to you in her stead."

"The Eye is insistent, we need to take the banner up to the top." Sirruil frowned and pointed ahead.

"Yes. Nali will have to address the enemy. I will make her voice loud and tell her what must be said."

The dwarf girl took a deep breath and nodded, "I won't disappoint her."

"I don't think you could." Kwes teased with a smile as he approached with Orefinder. "Go do what you need to do and then say hello to your Uncle Magpie before I have to go."

The girl laughed and gave him an exasperated smile. "I will."

*Forty-eight*

Looking out over the roughly constructed parapet, Nali tried to remember all the words. Her heart was racing. Walp was flying lazy circles over the field and she wished the bird was on her shoulder.

"I will be here with you, little Nali. You have nothing to fear." Lord Vedhethrah was trying very hard to be reassuring but his smile was unnerving. It was impossibly wide and seemed creepy, reassuring, and amusing all at once.

"The girl is tired and facing an army." Magus Likras stepped closer, "Let me-"

"No." Nali took a deep breath. "I can do it. I'm just afraid I'll forget something."

"I will speak the words with you." The dragon smiled again.

"Thank you, Lord Vedhethrah." Swallowing her fears, she took another breath and belted out the words. "I GIVE YOU A MESSAGE FROM LADY ROOK. AS AGREED TO ON THE FIELD BY ISCA HERSELF, THE PRIESTS WHO LEAVE THE FIELD BEFORE THE BATTLE AND REMAIN OFF OF IT UNTIL THE BATTLE HAS ENDED WILL BE SPARED," she sucked in a breath, "NONE OF LADY ROOK'S ELVES WILL PUT ARROWS IN THEIR NECKS."

The dragon speaking quietly along with her helped greatly.

"NO ONE OF CLAN PALESTRIKE WILL BURY AN AXE IN THEIR BELLIES. NONE OF HER MAGES WILL TURN THEIR BONES TO STONE AND BOIL THEIR BLOOD INSIDE THEIR BODIES AND NONE OF HER ROOKS WILL PLUCK OUT THEIR EYES. THEY WILL BE SAFE FROM LADY ROOK. IF THEY LEAVE THE FIELD LADY ROOK'S PRIESTS MUST DO THE SAME. IF YOUR PRIESTS LEAVE, TAKE THE CENTRAL BANNER SO THAT WE KNOW IF WE MUST TAKE OUR OWN AND LEAVE THE FIELD."

Her voice echoed impossibly loud for a moment and then in front of them, to some apparent concern from the soldiers, the central banner began to move. It moved to the back of the force arrayed before them and was lowered.

Vedhethrah made a pleased sound and escorted Nali and the mage from the parapet with the blue banner.

As they made their way to the back and the banner was lowered, she muttered sourly, "Why did we need to come at all if we were just told to leave the field."

Kwes chuckled and came to sit next to her. "You just took her priests off of the field. Their soldiers will be blundering blindly into the wards Lady Rook laid down as they come up the sides and Orefinder's priests will be casting wards and spells that may make them wish they'd never been born."

Sirruil came to join them with a frown on his face. "I had intended to help the others but... the Eye doesn't want me to be near the front. It wants me to be with Nali."

"You wear her stone," Vedhethrah said it as if it should make sense and Nali looked up at him in bafflement.

"If it were to fall into the huntress' hands it could be used to harm her. If you wish to fight you cannot take it with you."

The black-haired dwarf smiled ruefully and took it off, handing it to Nali. "Keep it safe for me."

"Father! Don't-"

"I'm a dwarf, my Nali." Sirruil kissed the girl on her head. "I want to fight. Stay here and stay safe."

As tired as she was, she just sat and stared after him. When he left her sight she burst into tears.

"I think they forget she's a child." Kwes came onto his knees and put his arms around her, letting her sob into his shoulder.

"My treasure expects a great deal but she rewards as generously."

Nali felt the dragon place a comforting hand on her head and slipped into a peculiar half doze. Vedhethrah took her gently from her uncle and cradled her as he had when he pulled her from the horse, carrying her. Walp landed on his shoulder.

She jerked awake in a tent sometime later and rubbed her eyes.

Ellother peeked in with a smile, "You're awake! Lord Vedhethrah insisted no one disturb you."

"What happened, is my father-"

"The battle has been won."

"Nali?" Sirruil's head peeked in as well with a mischievous grin. "I was told you were so upset by my going to fight that Lord Vedhethrah had to put you to sleep to keep you from following me?"

She crossed her arms, glowering at him, and he broke into laughter.

"I swear you look more like my mother every day."

"That is one of Lady Rook's expressions." The elf laughed. "Come have something to eat."

"Where is Lord Vedhethrah?" Nali came out of the tent and found herself in a quiet corner of a mine entrance. Some dwarves were bustling outside carrying things from the wagons and others were fortifying the inner entrance.

"He's sunning himself on the parapets he built." Orefinder approached with a grin. "Occasionally he plucks a few of their soldiers out of the holding wards some of mine laid down, tears them into pieces, and eats them. Those soldiers over there are wetting themselves in fear. I don't think they'll follow too closely as we make our way back. A dragon is a handy thing to have."

"Orsas can forge a collar for him and keep him with the Nightforged." Sirruil chuckled.

"Father! That is Lady Rook's dragon!" Nali gave him a sharp look and Orefinder broke into laughter.

"It is. Orsas would love to have him on a chain but Lady Rook would be sour and she's worse than any dragon. I suspect she'll be coming back soon and I need you to go back to Bhiraldur. That's the only way Lord Vedhethrah will be moving. He's feeding on their fear right now more than their flesh but he's here to guard you, Nali, not the mine.

"Some of the priests will be staying to offer them support and we're leaving them some soldiers and supplies as well. A few of the refugees have asked to stay, some have family here. A few have asked to see you." He gave her a curious look. "Clan Flinthewn has been made to understand that your place is in Bhiraldur but they've asked to have a few moments with you before you return."

She frowned, trying to decide whether or not to speak to them, and then looked around in startlement, "Where's Walp?"

"She's eating the bits that fall from the dragon's meals. A murder of crows joined her and you'd think they all belonged to Lady Rook the way they hop all over him and pick bits out of his teeth." Orefinder shook his head.

"She barely had time to eat on our way here." Nali winced.

"You barely had time to eat, my Nali." Sirruil smiled and reached out to squeeze her shoulder. "If you'll let me make a suggestion, we can go have a meal with Clan Flinthewn before we go. I'll be there with you."

"Thank you, Father." She gave him a grateful smile and let him lead her into the mine.

*Forty-nine*

Holding Syreilla's hand and walking away from his other half, Syvezar felt as if he were winning something. He tried not to be smug but the amused look she gave him as they crossed into a dim cavern suggested he was failing.

"We cannot help but be jealous of each other and we both love you beyond reason."

She laughed and squeezed his hand, leaning against him as they walked.

"I love and need you both, the jealousy is something I will have to get used to. I don't remember my Vezar being so jealous."

"You remained with him more than you were away from him. He found it maddening to have you roaming without him. That you greeted him with love and desire each time he touched your threads was a balm. The interest of both elves and dwarves in you made him want to keep you beneath him in his bed, guarded and safe."

She grinned mischievously. "When this is done I think a few years in our nest bed at home might be nice. If my two dragons can get along."

He stopped within view of the lake and kissed her hungrily. "I think we will find a way to do so. Grandfather might scold us all for neglecting our duties."

"You don't think we can manage them from the bed?" Her innocent look made him grin and pull her tightly against him. "I suppose we could see how comfortable that magnificent root throne-"

The grating sound of stone on stone cooled the burning desire her words had been stoking and Syvezar gave the wryly smiling Bone White a sour look.

"Your Grandfather has mentioned that your dragons distract you."

"They do." Syreilla laughed and stole a kiss before pulling out of his embrace and dragging him toward the pale elf. "You needed to speak with me?"

"Olthon whispered news to me-"

"Isn't he supposed to whisper news to me?" Syreilla gave the elf a pointed look but he could feel her amusement.

"He felt I should be aware that you had been untethered entirely. Your Grandfather may grant you that among the humans and their gods but he does not have the right to do so among the elves." Bone White gave her a measuring look and then smiled faintly. "Even untethered you haven't abused the privilege more than any other young god."

"I would rather eat my boot knife than disappoint-"

He lifted his hand with a warmer smile. "I remember and I can see it in your eyes from here. You are trustworthy but with Rielle's destruction, I have no reason to continue to allow it. Within the rules, you are more than able to defend-"

"What are the rules?" Syreilla frowned and Syvezar suppressed a smile at Bone White's sudden surprise.

"My treasure has never learned them. She knows the behavior our Grandfather would frown on and she avoids it as best she can."

"Ah." The elf looked deeply amused. "You are aware of them and can teach her why they are necessary. Unless you are asked to do so, Syreilla the Rook, you are not permitted to interfere. Your flair for the dramatic is easily noticed and they are as grateful to you as they are to young Syvezar, but if they do not ask, your miraculous assistance may become unwelcome.

"I trust that you will not quarrel with or attack the other elven gods unless provoked, and none would be so foolish. Learning the rules surrounding such matters may be deferred." He smiled as Syreilla huffed and folded her arms. "They are different from those your Grandfather enforces among the humans. We do not allow the burning of temples or priests."