Hammer and Feather Ch. 41-51

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Those men haven't-"

"They're waiting to kill us all," Nali spoke firmly. "They're mine robbers, murderers, and if you let them live your wives and children will have a short time to mourn you before they get slaughtered or dragged out to be enslaved like they were doing to the elves. Lady Rook will give you the choice, do as she says or be the cause of suffering for all of ours."

"My father always said 'you can do what your mother wants now or your ears will ring and you can do it later'. Lady Rook has good reasons for what she's telling us to do and I intend to listen." Sirruil gave the others a stern look and they nodded reluctantly.

Making their way down as quietly as they could, they discovered it still wasn't quiet enough. Nali started casting the first wards that sprang to her lips, miring the soldiers who attacked in the earth up to their chests and letting the others deal with them from there. As they got into the camp the wards that fell from her lips grew nastier, men collapsed screaming and she tried not to look at them as she hurried through looking for something that she knew had to be here even though she wasn't sure what it was exactly.

She jerked open a tent and found a naked elf woman with mutilated ears strangling a man with a mad look on her face. The elf was trembling as she turned to see Nali.

Dropping out of dwarvish and into the common tongue, Nali asked with concern. "Are you alright? Lady Rook wanted me to find you."

The woman burst into tears and then nodded, scrambling out of the tent. "They-they took them. Most of the rest. Some they-they gave out as prizes." The woman shuddered. "They're going to slaughter them in front of the elven camp to show them that Lady Rook can't-can't protect them."

"They'll get a surprise. And it's going to burn." Nali looked around, "We need to find you some clothes."

A soldier barreled toward them and Nali cast a ward at his feet igniting the man. He screamed as he ran and tents began to burn as he blundered through them.

"Nali!" Sirruil caught up to her and embraced her, panting. "Don't run off that way, especially not in a fight!"

"Lady Rook told her to find me." The elf woman smiled ruefully and looked around. "Dwarves have joined the war?"

"She didn't want us to but we had to." Nali gently pulled away from her father. "We need to-"

"Some are running away-"

"She said to kill them all, we can't let them-"

"We can't catch them-"

"I can. They're going for reinforcements." The elf woman looked toward the edge of camp. "Nali, try to keep up with me."

The elf scooped up a pair of dropped swords and took off at a run and Nali darted after her as fast as her legs could carry her. She heard her father shouting to the others that the men were going for reinforcements and to kill them.

Her small axe found itself in her hand as she followed after the elf. The naked woman was impressively quick compared to the humans and she managed to take down a horseman with the throw of one of the blades. Nali tossed the woman her small axe and focused on throwing out wards.

It felt like forever and a flash of a moment at the same time until the fleeing group of men were dead. Nali walked with the blood-covered woman back to the smoldering tents. The others had managed to put them out. They were sifting through things with grim expressions.

"Lady Rook was right." One of the dwarves inclined his head to Nali. "The commander had orders written for how the dwarven slaves were to be divided and forced to work." He held up a sheet of paper with disgust.

"I told you. Lady Rook didn't tell us to kill them for fun." Nali gave him an exasperated look.

"He was planning his attacks on the mines." The elf frowned. "I only met her once, but Lady Rook can be trusted."

"They have to be shown." Sirruil smiled wryly. "My mother was a half-elf and no one outside of our mine understood why she was respected."

"A half-elf?" The woman blinked and then beamed, "You're one of Syreilla Hammersworn's children."

"And she's my daughter, and Lady Rook's priestess." He grinned, holding out his hand to Nali. "She's got the Hammersworn temper even though she wasn't born to it. Let's get you washed and dressed, Lady...?"

"Ellother, my name is Ellother. I was Finwion's priestess. I was looking after your young cousin-"

"Belthamdir?" Nali turned and looked up at her in horror.

"Yes. I tried to hide the children, but..." Her face twisted in anguish.

"Let's get you washed and dressed, Ellother," Sirruil spoke gently. "If Lady Rook sent my daughter running into a battle to get you, she's appreciative."

"Belthamdir is..." Ellother looked at Nali helplessly.

"She's safe. She was with her family when I left them."

"And my son? Braigon?"

"I didn't meet the other children but Lady Rook did. If he's safe she'll get you back to him."

The elf stepped away as one of the dwarves beckoned and Sirruil looked grim. "I know my family, Uncle Kwes was a thief but so was my mother. If she watched their daughter and kept her safe, they'd be looking after her boy if he was safe as well."

"Maybe his father has him?" Nali tilted her head, thinking for a moment, "I'm almost certain he's safe, Father. I can't tell you how I know but..."

"Lady Rook knows." A relieved elven voice called over the tents left standing. "His father was with the soldiers like Kwes."

"Uncle Magpie-" She stopped as the elf broke into laughter, sobs of laughter. Nali gave her father an annoyed look but he was smiling.

"Sometimes you need to laugh. Come on, let's see what there is that can be salvaged and then clear this all away before we sleep. Can Walp carry a message back to Bhiraldur?"

"Walp." The raven's tone as it called down from the top of a tent didn't sound agreeable.

"I think that's a no, Father."

"Well, one of the others can go back and meet the wagons then." He nodded surveying the tents and she realized he was wearing the eye. "We have work to do, my Nali. Let's get to it."

*Forty-six*

The looks he was getting from the other elves were no longer openly hostile, that was something at least. Kwes sighed, getting settled in a tent alone. He hadn't slept alone since... yawning, he realized he couldn't remember the last time. Amtalia at least had their daughter. His father would be upset. Tirnel hadn't been a very good father but he was a wonderful grandfather. He doted on Belthamdir.

Thoughts of how Emlinor must feel each night tried to push into his mind. Things would get better for him once they'd brought Braigon back.

The tent flap twitched and Kwes sat up with his knife at the ready.

"I'm not planning to kill you." Orefinder peeked in with a grin. "A young trickster god is traveling with me, I'm curious. How like your father are you? With the knife, you look more like your sister."

Kwes breathed a laugh and beckoned him in. "I don't know about a trickster, but I've tried to learn what the old man could teach." He grinned laying back and propping himself up on his side on his elbow. "Syreilla had more time to learn and he gave her a better education. I'm still trying to figure things out."

"What do you intend to be then?" The dwarf smiled, settling in to sit next to him.

"The elves don't have a god of thieves yet. Mischief is well covered, I think, and wits, but theft, puzzles and locks, keeping out of sight..."

Orefinder chuckled, "Your sister will be proud."

"I may need her help stealing a place at their table."

The dwarf broke into laughter. "She'll be standing behind you giving them that grin of hers, the one that makes the hair stand on the back of your neck, god or mortal, if they want to argue."

"I might be able to master her grin someday but I don't think I can ever imitate her laugh." He shook his head at the dwarf's baffled smile. "When she's amused it's silvery and light, you want to laugh with her. When she's not it's this horrible sound... every hair on your body stands on end and you feel like you should have started running before she started making that noise."

The bellowing laugh that came from the dwarf was contagious. After he composed himself, Orefinder wiped at his eyes. "Grimgrip said she sounded like a crow imitating human laughter."

"Yes! That's a perfect description! It's terrifying!"

The dwarf laughed again and waved his hand. "I taught one of the ravens to laugh once and I thought Orsas was going to murder me. I would send it to watch him work and then tell it to laugh. He dropped his hammer the first time! That was why he took all of the ravens and made them his. They used to be mine."

"They're clever troublemakers." Kwes grinned, "You're the dwarven god of at least one of those things aren't you?"

He laughed again and then sighed. "Tell me when you come into your own, elf. We can be friends."

"I'd like that. I'd be happier if my sister didn't get unreasonably angry when someone steals from dwarves, you're all off-limits, even for me." He laughed at the glint in the dwarf's eye and the wicked grin on his face. "She's my sister and she loves me, but she'd put that crossbow quarrel back in my belly if I tried it even in jest."

"She's a good girl, a pleasant dream or a nightmare depending on how you behave."

"I've never heard a better description of her."

"Get a little rest. In a few hours, the tents will be struck and we'll be moving again."

Kwes lay back, "Thank you, Master Orefinder, for visiting. I was worrying over my family and you put me in a better frame of mind."

The dwarf stood and gave him a measuring look. "You don't have to worry, they're Syreilla's family too. Anyone who makes that mistake will never make another."

"My wife has her hands full right now and if you ever have a daughter you may find yourself wishing, the way I do every time she does something too clever, that she was just a little less so. You need a spare pair of eyes for that girl. I can't help but worry." He smiled ruefully and the dwarf's eyes misted.

It seemed that he blinked and then the flap was being pushed open. "Time to get up, Kwes." Syvezar smiled faintly. "Orefinder said to let you sleep a little longer but it caused some grumbling."

"I talked to him for a while. I understand why Syreilla's fond of him."

The half-dragon tilted his head and then nodded with a wider smile, "He's like your father, sometimes you need to be wary but he's a good dwarf. That's an endorsement of his good character from her."

Laughter came from behind him and Syvezar stepped back. Kwes scrambled to his knees and rolled up the mat and blanket before coming out.

"-a good dwarf is praise from my treasure."

"You shouldn't tell him I called him a good dwarf!" Syreilla scoffed and folded her arms but it was clear she was amused.

"He didn't say you complimented my beard." Orefinder grinned and the half-dragon gave him a sharp look.

"You shouldn't jest about beards, Orefinder. I spent a decade or so trying to convince my dragon to grow one. They get a little sour about it when someone mentions that I like them."

Kwes thought the dwarf was going to fall over, he was laughing so hard. Vedhethrah growled as he came up behind her and pulled her into an embrace.

"You prefer the feel of my scales, my treasure."

"It was an acquired taste, my dragon." She held out her hand to Syvezar with a smile. "I learned to like soft, smooth skin first."

The half-dragon grinned and joined the pair in a disturbing looking, and very affectionate, embrace.

"How elvish!" He feigned disapproval and broke into laughter as she gave him a sour look.

The dwarf next to him slapped his hip with a grin. "I could like this boy."

"We should get moving. I want to be-"

"You want to see Nali. That girl is driving the dwarves with her like Orsas drives the Nightforged. They were worried she'd slow them down but I think she'd be cracking a whip at their heels if she had one."

"They can rest when the work is done." Syreilla tilted her head like a bird as Kwes snorted.

"You sound like Father but you took a rest-"

"I worked so you could sleep, Magpie." She arched a brow. "I have dragons who would have much preferred it if I hadn't."

Vedhethrah laughed and the sound rumbled. "I wouldn't have let you sleep even if you had chosen to find a tent with us."

"I know, and I remember that Nali came in with her axe because the sounds frightened the elves when we spent the night together there, beloved."

Orefinder leaned against Kwes' hip laughing so hard he wasn't certain how the dwarf was breathing. It almost sounded like he was trying to get out a word in between the sobs of laughter.

Syreilla grinned. He'd expected her to blush but she seemed unbothered.

"When he's done laughing, pack up that tent and get moving."

It took a few moments but the dwarf managed to compose himself enough to help with the tent. He kept bursting into small bouts of laughter and shaking his head.

"Why was that so funny?" Kwes smiled at him curiously.

The dwarf laughed again and then sighed, "That a little dwarf girl has more courage than a camp full of elvish soldiers? Or the image of her barging in on Syreilla and that dragon-" He started to laugh again and gasped out, "-with her little axe!"

Kwes couldn't help but laugh a little as well, "They weren't that frightened. They came in to ask me if I was certain she was safe with him. He'd been growling and rumbling all night and the thought of a goddess of vengeance making sounds like that-"

Orefinder broke into laughter again.

"-baffled them. Nali heard the question of whether my sister was safe and a little about the sounds. She grabbed her little axe and was off before I could say anything to her." He grinned at the dwarf. "She came back a little chagrined about it but she said Vedhethrah was sweet to my sister the way her father is with someone named Razi."

With a sigh, Orefinder smiled and stroked his beard. "Razi is the girl's foster mother. She came to help Sirruil with the house he was given when he brought the girl back. It took time for them to marry but not too long. Trueshield is already quarreling with me over their boy Raduil. He's sharp but he's not a troublemaker. He has a small part of his father's talent for magic, though, that should mean I can claim him."

"I'm envious. The elvish father that Syreilla and I share inherited only a small fraction of his father's talent. It skipped a generation to Syreilla but not to me. At least one of Hammersworn's children inherited the gift and passed it down... Belthamdir may have inherited it somehow. Syreilla thinks so but-"

"If she says the girl has the talent, it's there. What else does she say about the girl?"

"That they're a lot alike. If we aren't careful with the way we raise her and teach her, she'll learn things the hard way and defy us in ways we never knew were possible."

"When she says things like that you should pay close attention." The dwarf frowned. "She wants better for the girl than the lessons she's had?"

"Syreilla wants better for every child than the lessons she had. She told my wife that the word 'no' is a challenge that Belthamdir would rise to meet. And that even if she were as harsh with our daughter as Syreilla's mother was, she won't beat it out of her. You could shatter her as the elves in Withia shattered my sister, and still, she would rise in defiance.

"If we want her to understand, we have to explain things to her. If we want her to learn, we have to teach her. But if we keep telling her 'no' she'll defy us in more ways than we knew were possible. In temperament, Syreilla said that Belthamdir will be a sweet girl, full of mischief and charm, curious, eager to learn, and willing to test herself against any challenge that presents itself."

He glanced at the thoughtful dwarf, "I could have told her that, but I hadn't seen the way that Syreilla has of getting around saying no to my daughter. She can refuse her so gently Belthamdir doesn't even realize that she isn't getting what she wanted."

Orefinder smiled and sighed. "You should have seen Hammersworn with her children. Sirruil was that way. That woman could be impatient but never with her children. He turned out well even though she died when he was so young."

When Kwes glanced back down it seemed that the dwarf had decided something. "I'll make sure she gets a good safe nest for raising her fledglings. Something that they can't fall out of."

"I didn't want children until Belthamdir was born. Before I held her I was certain that I was going to be a terrible father and that I'd want to be anywhere but where she was." He smiled at the memory. "After... If I had to, I would fight my sister and her dragons to protect my daughter. I wouldn't hesitate." He grinned down at Orefinder, "I'd fight you if it would make her laugh and you'd probably wipe the floor with me."

Laughing, the dwarf patted his hip. "I'd give her a show and I wouldn't hurt you too badly."

"I'd appreciate that." Kwes eyed the wagon ahead of them and considered asking about room on it.

"Walking will do you good." Orefinder chuckled. "Where are you planning to go after Syreilla leaves?"

"I have to ask her. We're planning to do some thieving and I'm not sure where she intends to go for that."

"I think I know where. I'll ask her and take you partway."

*Forty-seven*

Vedhethrah had aided Syreilla in clearing trenches and building fortifications to prepare the battlefield according to the dwarves' specifications. The proud and pleased looks she had given him had been his only reward, there had been no time for more. Syvezar was resting and recovering from spending everything he could summon on healing those harmed by the humans but his treasure was tireless. That she would need to leave him and go back to the elves with his other half was almost more than he could bear.

"You could choose to stay with the dwarves and see the battle won." He growled and gave Syvezar a sour look.

"I need to be there when she brings the captives to release." Syreilla caressed his arm and clung to it making him feel strong. "I will always return to you my dragon."

"Remain with Syvezar or I will be sharp with you." Vedhethrah gave her a stern look and she grinned at him.

"I'll do my best but I always have one of my dragons with me." She fished the coin with the old sigil out of her front pocket and he took it laughing in his throat.

"This dragon cannot protect you, my treasure."

"It did! I needed it to escape when I got caught last time."

Her silvery laughter at his scowl made it impossible to hold. He gave the coin back to her.

"Stay with Syvezar. I need my treasure to be protected."

"Our treasure." His other half corrected him with a hint of amusement. "And I agree. We know you'll always return to us if you can but we worry that there are things that you don't see or don't take seriously enough, sweet Syreilla. Stay with one of us. Let us protect you."

Vedhethrah huffed and then smiled as Syreilla kissed his arm. She knew which of them to look to for true protection. The thought was a balm.

"Syreilla?" One of the dwarves who had made suggestions in the night came to them with a frown. "I need to speak to you."

"With one of us present," he snapped and the dwarf blinked before breaking into laughter.

"I'm not trying to bed your treasure." It grinned and Syreilla pulled away from him.

"What do you need, Orefinder? Time is getting short and I was trying to reassure my dragon before I go."

"You could cuddle him for a hundred years and he'd still be sour to see you go." The stumpy creature she'd called Orefinder snorted. "You need your brother to get close to something you want to steal?"