Hammered: an Ode to Mickey Spillane 2023 - Coming Soon

Story Info
Open to all: enter your noir tales in this 3rd annual event!
737 words
7.8k
5

Part 5 of the 6 part series

Updated 07/31/2023
Created 08/18/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Literotica
Literotica
2,153 Followers

The "Hammered - an Ode to Mickey Spillane" is back for its third year!

Hammered: An Ode to Mickey Spillane 2023

From the creator and organizer of this event ChloeTzang:


Well guys 'n dames, writers and fans of gritty hard-boiled noir can rejoice! 2021 and 2022's "Hammered - an Ode to Mickey Spillane" events were so popular Laurel's asked me if I'd like to organize another one for 2023.

What's the theme, you need to ask? Well, it's an Ode to Mickey Spillane, so think gritty, dark, and overflowing with violence and sex in the best traditions of Spillane's Mike Hammer. Spillane knew he was writing pulp, and his guiding principle serves as the theme for this event "violence will outsell sex every time," but, "combined, they will outsell everything." Spillane's books were a huge commercial success, but their plain style and often violent content didn't tend to sit well with critics. His works were variously referred to as "atrocious" and "nauseating," while his most famous creation was called a "homicidal paranoiac" by Malcolm Cowley, who called Spillane himself "a dangerous paranoid, sadist, and masochist."

So there you go, and if you're still not sure, go read a couple of Spillane's Mike Hammer novels and go for it. Vivid descriptions. Short words. Fast transitions. Violence. Sex. Stereotyping and caricatures. Minimalism. The suggestion that allows your imagination to fill in the blanks. Like Spillane's writing. Set the scene. Switch to dialogue.

Anyhow, the intent of this event is, well, to write something that reflects Spillane's stylistic approach to writing as much as anything. Call it noir. Call it hard-boiled. Call it whatever the hell you like, guys 'n dames. I'd say, as much as anything, go for the style, the violence and the sex, but really, interpret it any way you like, and...

Have fun!

If you're a first time writer, or this is the first time you're thinking about doing a story for an "Event" or a Competition on Literotica, hey, don't be stressed about it. We've all been there, and a "story event" like this is a great way to test the waters without getting into the competitiveness of a writing competition. This ain't a competition, it's open to everyone, from the complete novice to the writers that have been here since Literotica started and really, if you need any encouragement - you have to start somewhere, so if you're still hesitating, just do it. You'll find plenty of encouragement - we all started somewhere and what better place to get started than a non-competitive writing event.

Also, there no scores, no placing, and no prizes. This is just writing for fun with a bunch of other people doing the same thing. If you're not sure about what to do, how to submit your story, or anything at all, just ask here. We've all been there, and we're a bunch of very helpful people, and we like to pass it on.


Hammered -- an Ode to Mickey Spillane 2023

Open to all authors (please read the announcement).
organizer: ChloeTzang
challenge date: final anthology list posted on Monday 31st July 2023
submit your story: before 11:59pm, Sunday 30 July, 2023

Rules & Guidelines

1. Stay more or less with the theme.
2. You can write in any category and any length, as long as you keep in mind Rule #1
3. Please include "Hammered Story Event 2023" in the Notes to Admin field. Please use this exact wording so Laurel can identify the entries. If you don't put this phrase in the Notes to Admin field, your story will not be included in the event. We recommend you copy and paste it! 4. Please use "Hammered an Ode to Mickey Spillane" as a story tag.

If you've got an idea for a themed writing challenge, feel free to contact us anytime! We're open to anyone organizing a new event.

And if you're looking for a fun way to stretch your skills, check out our list of current author-organized challenges!

We at Literotica thank all the readers who have supported the site and the writers by way of views, votes and comments.

And a huge thank-you to ChloeTzang for creating and organizing this awesome event yet again this year, and a huge thank-you as well to all authors and readers!

Literotica
Literotica
2,153 Followers
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
1 Comments
AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

I only saw McGhee's corpse sprawled on the sidewalk because it showed itself every few seconds in the red neon flash of the 'ROOMS' sign. "It figures that a wise-guy like you'd end up getting plugged in front of a dump like The Peabody Hotel," I said.

.

"Friend of yours?" a woman asked, her voice low but confident. Think Betty Bacall in her prime.

.

She startled me, but I wasn't about to let it show, so I turned slowly and looked at her. That was my first mistake—those eyes. I fell headlong into 'em, and she knew it. Oh, brother, did she ever know it.

Share this Story

Similar Stories

Rebirth Her betrayal destroyed him, but she kept one last secret.in Loving Wives
Overmatched - Pt. 01 Couple deals with uber-rich assholes.in Loving Wives
Wicked Games: The Stories Read the tales of falling in love with someone you shouldn't.in Loving Wives
Your Sins Find You Out A secret comes back to haunt her.in Loving Wives
An Overheard Conversation Do we ever hear something good when we eavesdrop?in Loving Wives
More Stories