All Comments on 'Happy Hogswatch!'

by Duleigh

Sort by:
  • 17 Comments
ender2k2kender2k2k6 months ago

You sure did Sir Terry proud. I love that there are talented people like you keeping the Disc alive. This was a wonderful, touching holiday story. I gave you five stars but wish I could give more. I hope you and yours have a happy holiday season and good luck with the contest. Thanks

AmberSolisAmberSolis6 months ago

Speaking as a fan of Sir Terry, I'd say you did him proud! Great story and characters!

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Loved it. It was very heartwarming.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy6 months ago

Another good story!

5

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

This wonderful, heartwarming story is a perfect holiday gift and a fitting tribute to Sir Terry. Thank you for this gem. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

FondofLegsFondofLegs6 months ago

This was a great story of Hogswatch/Christmas. I realize Granny Weatherwax is gone now, but a nod to Nanny Ogg would have been a cherry on top of the story. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Happy Hogswatch .It is great to see you and voluptuary manque extending the wonderful world created by the late Sir Terry .

nthusiasticnthusiastic6 months ago

Oh, I’m so glad the families were reunited after such hardships. A live-in grandmother is a wonderful experience for children and two make it twice as good! Thank you for sharing your talents with us and adding to Discworld. Sir Pratchett would be pleased.

Dutch_VelicDutch_Velic6 months ago

Great story, very true to the spirit of Sir Terry and Discworld.

WhitewaterbumWhitewaterbum5 months ago

Once again you wrote a great holiday story. I do not know Sir Terry but you have awakened my interest in his Discworld. Will be reading The Enchantress shortly.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Another story part of a series? Again, bending the rules….

DuleighDuleigh5 months agoAuthor

So - Anonymous I'm only allowed to write one store for per character?

I'm sorry but you clearly are ignorant of the rules of the contest. The rules clearly state NO CHAPTERS not series. There's a difference

This is a complete and full story, it contains exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and conclusion - all requirements of a story. A chapter requires none of those which is why chapters are not allowed as a contest entry.

I suggest you get off your high horse and start writing yourself and show us how it's done

JuanTwoNoJuanTwoNo4 months ago

As a SciFi fan it has always ticked me off that many bookstores and libraries lump it together with Fantasy, but I might never have discovered the late great Sir Terry Pratchett and Discworld had they not. Your fan fiction homage would do him proud. 5.

UncleBozzinUncleBozzin2 months ago

The Hogfather would be proud.

katzkinkatzkinabout 1 month ago

Ok, this just became my favorite Christmas story!

Thank you for writing and continuing to write

lustychimeralustychimera19 days ago

Very sweet story!

Your worldbuilding was absolutely your star, but I could see how much you loved your characters, too. The beginning had humor and read whimsically, which was engaging, but I'm also glad you leveled it out early on to let me engage with the story, and then you peppered those whimsies back in here and there as a dab of spice.

It had sad points, but I think those really helped elevate the happy moments rather than bringing the mood down.

I think I would have liked the big reveal to be teased out more at the end. I was picturing maybe they go to the Duke, and the Duke says, "Your children have been right beside you all along," or something to really build up the climax, but I can understand how it wouldn't have made sense given the twist about how Octavia had set it up. I think that feeling was because when they stopped on that bench, their journey didn't feel complete, like they still had more to go since the Duke was set up to be the destination.

Their strife really made my eyes mist up. And given the tone, it seemed really clear where it was headed, but that just built my anticipation even more than if it was the type of story where anything could happen. They had such a rough go of it, which made the ending that much happier. You have a real knack for using the lows to elevate the highs and vice versa.

The way you set up the world is this endearing juxtaposition between this completely alien world that's seemingly designed to keep you in perpetual surprise, and these characters who are so relatable and well rounded--each one truly did feel like they had a lifetime behind them. The passion you have for this world is infectious. I only wish your imagination was contagious!

Again, lovely sweet story, Duleigh!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userDuleigh@Duleigh
Disabled veteran, learning how to live from the sidelines. Still trying to figure out if I'm writing these stories, or if these stories are writing me. I've given them free rein to flow and now it's time to start publishing, The scores reflect that you like what I am publishin...