Heart of The Gerudo Pt. 1

Story Info
Part 1 of Avery's stumble into Gerudo Culture!
1.9k words
3.8
943
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Part 1

Heart of The Gerudo: Desert Heat

Written by Silken Scribe

Original Story inspired by the Gerudo Link works of HeartGear

Gods. Why did it have to be so hot in the desert? It was like ever since the world had been changed by recent events of the calamity and the upheaval, The desert heat had been cranked up to eleven. Heat haze whorled up and around the lone singular form stumbling across the sun-heated sands. In the distance, the sound of a Molduga rumbling beneath the sand could be heard, a rhythmic rumbling that sent most travellers running.

Of course, this was no regular traveller. No. This was a young man who'd taken one wrong turn too many in his haphazard flight from his past. It hadn't been so bad being chased through the open fields of Hyrule, or the hilly picturesque mountains. But then one wrong step and he'd found himself at the bottom of a cliff with nothing but desert stretching out in every direction.

He was no rock climber, so there was no way back up the sheer and intimidating cliff. Nor was he a seasoned traveller. So the desert stretching out like a yawn of sand was nothing short of intimidating.

On the plus side, his pursuers hadn't followed him down the cliff. Why would they? He'd barely made it down in one piece. One piece being generous given the half a dozen scrapes up and down his sides, his torn-to-shreds clothing clinging to him with barely a whisper. One particular wound in his shoulder left his arm slightly immobile. Luckily he had shredded clothes to spare and so a tightly bound sheath of cloth kept the blood flow in check before he took his first hesitant steps into the deep sands of the Gerudo Desert.

That's how he'd ended up here. The mountains were left far behind him, barely a speck on the horizon now as he stumbled along, his mid-back length tawny brown hair falling about him in sweat-slicked spikes while his breath came in ragged breaths.

He'd made it a long way at this point. The pair of hydromelons he'd found clinging to an impossibly growing vine had given satiated his hunger and thirst for now. But how much farther could they take him? How long before that distant rumbling creature beneath the sands found him?

He looked down at the pitiful-looking dagger belted to his side. Somehow he doubted it would be much help against such a creature if its shadow in the distance when it broke the sand like a whale cresting the waves of the ocean was anything to go by. It was massive.

"What have you gotten yourself into this time Avery?" He mumbled to himself in his rather soft-toned voice.

His bright hazel eyes stared into the distance. At least there was a hint of hope on the horizon. He hadn't been sure of it at first, but the further along he got, the more confident he was becoming that the flapping green object in the distance was a flag of some sort. Hopefully, it was attached to some structure, some haven of society located out in the desert.

Of course, he knew of the Gerudo who inhabited a village in the desert though he knew very little about them. There were also a few other villages dotted about the various oases the desert had to offer. His only hope is that he made his way towards one of them. He had to make it.

As the morning turned to midday the heat cranked up even higher. He found his vision swimming slightly. He'd taken the last few bites of the hydromelon in his pack and saw no others nearby. His journey had led him to a veritable hill of sand which had taken no small amount of effort to surmount and now as he crested the ridge he could only feel a sense of relief as the sight below greeted him.

Nestled behind thick stone walls, a veritable oasis in the middle of the desert was a city. Even from here, he could see people milling about within, although he couldn't make out any of their features.

But it was a city. A sense of relief washed over him as he slumped to his knees atop the hill.

"I will have to make sure to thank the gods for such fortune when I am able." He mumbled, mostly to himself and the slight wind that had kicked up, sending stinging sand into his eyes.

"Just a short rest." He told himself, tugging his pack into his lap and digging around for a while until he finally located two of the only objects he had left in the town. A leather-bound sketchbook and a singular quill and inkpot. His art and his writing were two of the only things that kept him feeling himself anymore. Ever since his life had gone to hell back in his old village, it was all he could do to keep himself sane while constantly looking over his shoulder.

That's what happens when you get mixed up with the wrong crowds. When you cut deals with bandits, even if your intentions were pure.

Now he was no more than a vagabond on the run from his debts.

Flipping open his sketchbook, he'd flip to one of the few blank pages and whilst taking his break he'd quietly sketch a rough picture of the city below. This was both for his love of drawing, but also to commit the layout of the place to memory. His life of 'crime' had taught him that it was prudent to always be prepared for any situation that may arise. You never knew when knowing your surroundings might come in handy.

A fact that he very soon may have to put into use.

As the sun threatened to redden the skin on his back more than it already had, he packed away his things and climbed to his feet. How awkward it was trying to draw one-handed. Even now his right arm hung in its makeshift sling, effectively useless and stinging as the wound beneath the bandaging festered. If the desert didn't kill him, his shoulder might. And if not his shoulder, then the group pursuing him would probably be next in line for his life.

After a moment's contemplation, he began his descent. Step after gruelling step in the ankle-deep sand carried him eventually to a well-worn 'road' of compressed sand that led to the front of the city. It was a lot bigger up close and held singular stone gates on 3 of its four sides. At the back side of the city, a large palatial-style building rose up, as if pulled right from the sand below. The city itself was beautiful, built of carved and crafted sandstone mixed with traditional stone-like workings of current architecture.

If he hadn't been in a rush, he may have taken some time to truly appreciate the beauty of the place.

The front gate came into full view as he moved along. A pair of guards stood on either side of the gate. Sun-kissed skin peeking out from beneath their traditional garb.

~They're women.~ He noted in his head. Not that he didn't believe women couldn't be as effective warriors as men, but it was just surprising to see the two primary guards as women. Amazonian women as they stood as tall and muscular as they were curving and graceful. It was a curious juxtaposition.

"Halt Voe." Came a sharp order from one of them, the pair crossing their spears over one another between them.

"State your business." The other continued.

Avery stared up at the pair of them for a long moment. He was about to ask if they were joking. He was covered in wounds, battered, bruised with his clothing barely clinging to him. Was it not obvious what his business was?

He shook the annoyance from his head and cleared his throat, though his voice remained slightly raspy, "I need somewhere to rest and recover. I got lost in this desert through no fault of my own and saw your fair city on the horizon. No more than that."

The guards glanced between one another. Avery could have sworn he saw an almost apologetic hint of emotion on the guard's faces who responded to him, "My apologies for your hardship Traveller. But ours is a city of Vai. We do not permit Voe within the city. You will have to continue your long journey. If you follow--"

Avery interrupted, "I..I can't continue. I'm not sure how much farther I'm going to make it. Please...even if I can just spend a single night."

The guard's brow flickered in slight annoyance, but she responded again in an apologetic tone, "I am sorry. Despite your situation, I truly cannot permit a voe within the walls of this city."

Avery furrowed his brows, "You keep saying voe like I'm supposed to know what that means."

The guard paused for a moment before saying, "Male. You are a male and are thus not permitted within our city. If you follow the road you now stand on, you may find your way to Kara Kara Bazaar, an oasis much like our own. But not held to the same customs as our city. You may find your assistance there."

Avery deflated visibly. He wasn't allowed in because he was a male? He knew very little of the Gerudo and their customs. So this came as a bit of a surprise. Especially given the nature of his situation. He looked over his shoulder, he couldn't see so much as a building on the horizon. He wasn't sure he'd make it as far as this 'bazaar' they spoke of. Perhaps a night of rest...then he'd try.

He turned back to them and nodded, "Very well. Though I am not sure I will make it that far. May I at least take a rest outside of your city to regain my strength until tomorrow?"

The guards looked at one another and spoke something between themselves that he couldn't quite understand before turning back to him, "You may take your rest. But keep your distance from the city, the other guards may not see your proximity as tolerably as we do. Rest easily knowing that should any monsters or otherwise approach, they will be dispatched."

Avery let out a sigh, "Thank you."

~More like thanks for nothing. A patch of sand. Not even a drop of water. Hardly something worth thanking...~ His mind swirled bitterly as he stalked his way over to a copse of three palm trees around the far side of the city. They were sticking up out of the sand and offered a meagre patch of shade, but it was enough for him to settle into a sitting position.

He would take rest until the cooler evening and then perhaps he'd continue his journey.

Or as his mind swirled with thoughts. Cities tended to be a lot easier to sneak into under the cover of nightfall. Perhaps a quick trip for supplies under the cover of darkness and he'd be on his way. He knew he shouldn't. Such things are why he'd ended up in such hot water as it was.

...But he was desperate.

So here he sat, watching the sun slowly sink into the distant horizon. Considering what he might do come nightfall.